test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why bother with MKXII?

malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Reputation System
Someone else alreay has a thread about the lower end of the spectrum, so I'm going the other way. Is it really going to hurt anyone if they choose to stop at MK XI set gear?

I know I have several ships that have MK XI sets, like the old Borg set before the rep system, and they seem to work just fine for me, I may not be PvP elite etc etc, but I can do my job in STFs and fleet actions, and sometimes get a kill in PvP. Is upgrading to MK XII really going to get me anything? Is there any set that has that major difference between XI and XII in any way, not just in stats? Off the top of my head, I can only think of the STF ground sets with their helmets for non stat changes.

So, what is anyone missing out by not going MK XII?
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Post edited by malkarris on

Comments

• lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not a thing unless you count the eye candy and emotional toll of having second best gear. Skillz can make up the difference.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    malkarris wrote: »
    Someone else alreay has a thread about the lower end of the spectrum, so I'm going the other way. Is it really going to hurt anyone if they choose to stop at MK XI set gear?

I know I have several ships that have MK XI sets, like the old Borg set before the rep system, and they seem to work just fine for me, I may not be PvP elite etc etc, but I can do my job in STFs and fleet actions, and sometimes get a kill in PvP. Is upgrading to MK XII really going to get me anything? Is there any set that has that major difference between XI and XII in any way, not just in stats? Off the top of my head, I can only think of the STF ground sets with their helmets for non stat changes.

MK XI very rare [acc]x3 weapons were still very good.

Aegis set is also very good if you just want to PvE.
  • trekkietravistrekkietravis Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You get a marginal bump from Mk XII vs Mk XI of the same rarity. If you are playing PvE, you won't notice any real difference. It would probably be more noticeable in PvP...not that anyone does that in this game. =P
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2013

It only matters in PvP. Otherwise you're doing it for epeen.
    <3
  • soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My question would be more along the lines are; why aren't you just getting the XII - what else do you really have to do in this game anyways.
  • wolf3130wolf3130 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My question would be more along the lines are; why aren't you just getting the XII - what else do you really have to do in this game anyways.

why not MK XII buy MK XI off the exchange and see just how over priced it is then try MK XII aside from the dps bump MK XII gives it also allows players another way to get better gear rather then paying for peoples greed just to get some resemblance of accomplishment
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Adapted sets and costume unlocks, plus T4 and T5 rep powers.
  • kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    It only matters in PvP. Otherwise you're doing it for epeen.

Doesn't even matter in PVP because the boost is very marginal.
    Once upon a time in galaxy far far away......
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The difference between Mk XI and XII equipment that is otherwise identical is so small I doubt you would actually notice it without parsing the combat log.
  • mccarronxldmccarronxld Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The difference is so small that it isn't really worth it. Unfortunately, what is worth it is T4 and T5 Rep abilities and STF costume unlocks.

Rep is holding hostage the good stuff.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."
  • supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I never even got a full Mk XI gear before S7. I just moved straight to Mk XII through the power of Elite STFs.
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    to do elite you need 12

it does not take long to grind sets with new holding
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sean2448 wrote: »
    to do elite you need 12
    so i suppose all those elites i've been doing with white mk x gear was somehow purple/violet mk xii gear in disguise? you don't NEED mk xii for anything in this game, not even PvP
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why bother with anything, really? The random MK XI white TRIBBLE I got for cheap-as-free works fine. If you're going to buy anything at all, you may as well get the best. If you do not care about such things, this position is reasonable as well, in which case you don't need to get anything at all. There is no sense in doing something half-assed: All or Nothing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    to get 12 you need to do elite

Fixed it for you.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2013

In PvE there is really no reason why you should bother getting MK XII gear if you have MK XI.

The only real purpose is for PvP where every tiny sliver of advantage can make a difference and for the feeling of satisfaction in knowing you have the very best. That is pretty much the sum and total of it.

However, if you have not gotten the MK XI set then it may be a lot more worthwhile to just go straight for the MK XII set and be done with it.
  • bauer6bauer6 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    to do elite you need 12

it does not take long to grind sets with new holding

what a load of old rubbish, you don't need Mk XII gear to do elite stf's at all.

i have been running Mk XI Common gear for quite some time now doing elite stf's with no problems.

besides common gear is just as good as very rare, only difference is price, you wanna go and spend millions of EC's for gear that Common gear does then be my guest, but hey hey, each to their own.
    and just to point out, i deal just as much damage as a player with the very rare Mk XII gear if not more, it's all about your tactics and skills, not the gear.

to add...
    their are so many idiots these days who don't know how to do elites stf's that the actual module is becoming a joke now.
    players really do not have a clue when it comes to elite stf's, many times i have seen players join in and just go out all guns blazing, when you should work as a team collectively.
  • saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Those boosts are minimal and they are just percential bonuses in yout total efficiency, but if you upgrade EVERYTHING, it does matter ALOT, lets say that you did stfs and your total dps was 4k, with that upgrade you could get to 5k, due to apa, apo, and etc, in case you're a tac or such, if you have money, go for mk XII consoles, but dont try to convince me. I still use mk XI blues and I have enough money to buy few JHAS ships, It's just not worth the money imo.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because the mark XII Omega armour looks prettiest with all the Elite optionals done!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • yargomeshyargomesh Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    deokkent wrote: »
    There is no real reason to purchase mk xii equipment other than being a min maxer with OCD.

Eventually you come to a point where there's no upgrade options left. Nothing left to improve except to go for those MkXII Very Rare items.

It's a marginal upgrade yes but it is an upgrade and something to strive for.
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I simply wanted to have a ship that's filled with Mk XII stuff.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Probably not that worthwhile to upgrade if you already have the XI sets, but on my "new" Romulan I'm just collecting resources and have good enough for now gear so I will probably just go straight for XII gear from the rep systems.