test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Get Tholians out of the game!

uss917019uss917019 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Federation Discussion
OK guys the title of this is just an expression saying that the Tholians are the most annoying enemies look all they do is the same god damn thing again and again heres an example:

1st they shoot you
2nd they starting to remove your weapons
3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing
4rth now they start putting these caging spam

And they restart the same cycle over and over.

Now I am trying to target the little nodes on the side to get out but you know what I am clicking a lot and it does nothing on them, I look at my weapon power fully charged but still my weapons wont work this issue needs to be fixed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by uss917019 on

Comments

• Options
    sinnaj63sinnaj63 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't have any problems with the Tholians, and I don't really understand yours.
  • Options
    foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I love fighting Tholians!

Maybe you should learn which ships do what, how often, and the counters. The system offline attacks can be cured with the Emergency power skill of choice and keep your aoe attacks ready until you see the big web come up. Fire at Will, Torpedo Spread, and Tractor Beam Repulsors work well when trapped.

Yes I know it's hard to not turn on all your buffs/powers right at the start of a battle, but you can do it!

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starsvoidstarsvoid Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I hate fighting Tholians; their cages are super annoying.

I don't think they should be removed from the game, though.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Adapt your tactics:

Emergency Power to Weapons and Engineering Team will clear their weapons disable.
    Tractor Beam Repulsors will rip apart their webs and keep the Recluses from getting too close with their radiation clouds.
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited June 2013
    Only problem I have with Tholians is their web cages, which tend to make my camera go all wonky. Even then, auto-acquring target with spacebar will target the web nodes half the time, so you can sorta shoot your way out if you're positioned right.

Tholians, if anything, add a needed degree of difficulty to the game. It's a cakewalk as it is.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • Options
    polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's called weapons battery and faw.
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Adapt your tactics:

Emergency Power to Weapons and Engineering Team will clear their weapons disable.
    Tractor Beam Repulsors will rip apart their webs and keep the Recluses from getting too close with their radiation clouds.

Also, warp cores just added a new way to get a free single system repair: Search for [WCap] under warp cores. Right now, you can expect to spend a few million for one, but it's coming down pretty rapidly and should stabilize in the next couple weeks.
  • Options
    saborethsaboreth Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like the Tholians. I like the connection to retro-trek. And those web cages are no big deal; as someone else just noted, if it pops around you, boom. Fire At Will. That cage will be gone in moments!
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But their ships look so badass!

Protip : EPTW or a weapons battery repairs anything disabled by their special torps ;)
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cannon scatter volley, torpedo spread, and beams fire at will. problems solved.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I love fighting these guys. Specially since I kept my Freeze gun from the Breen missions. That sucker really hits hard when they are not wearing suits. As for the ships, I had no problems yet. If they pop the web. I just hit full reverse or all stop. And shoot the web or wait it out.

I love a challenge, I'm not scare to die a couple of times in the process. Cause its a challenge to beat. Since it challenges your skills on the game and your character.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heck, if your patient enough, you can kill them with the fire extinguisher you get early on...
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tholians are more annoying than a threat, they are more sciencey than other enemies, but its pretty ineffective. Any well build ship will not have an issue with them. As for them doing the same thing over and over, that has nothing to do with Tholians and everything to do with the game. All enemies do the same thing over and over again, the AI is very very basic, there is little to no varibility, everything is predictable, which is why elite STFs are a joke.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    uss917019 wrote: »
    OK guys the title of this is just an expression saying that the Tholians are the most annoying enemies look all they do is the same god damn thing again and again heres an example:

1st they shoot you
    2nd they starting to remove your weapons
    3rd depend on the level group is there they shoot there electrical charges and is so not effective against me but I think cryptic made does just to mess with your computer and mix you up so your screen gets full of electric for nothing
    4rth now they start putting these caging spam

And they restart the same cycle over and over.

Now I am trying to target the little nodes on the side to get out but you know what I am clicking a lot and it does nothing on them, I look at my weapon power fully charged but still my weapons wont work this issue needs to be fixed.

Ok before the devs nerf Tholians because of your whinging I'll save them the time and make them easier for YOU... Without any special coding or hacks or cheating or wonderous powers I will do it with 2 words....

ENGINEERING TEAM

Your problem is now solved.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    nastyhyenanastyhyena Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sure-fire method of dealing with Tholian cages:

1: Shoot the bottom node.
    2: Fly under the cage.
    3: ...?
    4: 'Splode some spiders!
  • Options
    xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only problem that i see with Tholian ships is that they proc way to much and need to be adjusted.Other then that there fine.:D
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • Options
    crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I got 99 problems son, but a Thol ain't one.:D
  • Options
    captaingalaxy1captaingalaxy1 Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Tholians are great!
    "Omega Class will prevail she cannot be defeated!"
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you shoot off one knot, you have an opening, I think. Never had problems with having systems taken offline, but I specced against it and I cycle E power to whatever all the time.

Can you use that singularity skill to warp out? Makes the whole gimmick against Romulans obsolete.
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have no problems against the Tholians. In fact, in the Tholian Red Alert, I usually manage to defeat a full squadron before they destroy the Cube (forcing me to defeat the weakened cube, but hey).
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    poeddudepoeddude Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The most annoying thing about the Tholians is that the Red Matter Capacitor, despite saying "repairs all disabled subsystems" does not do so when their phased tetryon weapons proc on you.

But this is just yet another bug fix that cryptic will never get around to.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can you use that singularity skill to warp out?

Yes. :)

At first they were rather annoying when they came out, but I've come to really enjoy them. There are tons of way to deal with the web (faw, scatter, gravity well, subspace jump, singularity jump, repulsors, point defense, fighters on intercept etc...) as well as with the disable (batteries, warp core, Ep2X, points in subsystem repair, engineering team...) that it's just as normal and easy as using HE against plasma fires.

Don't blame it on the enemy if you come unprepared. ;)
    But this is just yet another bug fix that cryptic will never get around to.

Yep, especially since the RMC is pretty much a "dead" and an almost unobtainable item. My guess is that it might be very, very far down their list... :/
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We Want More Content Not Less! So Get Over It Or Leave The Game We Dont Need You!
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I suck at the game so let's ruin everyone else's experience by removing content.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Never had an issue with Tholians in space combat, they may take a little longer but they die eventually
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      badvaiobadvaio Member Posts: 159 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      The only thing more satisfying than beating a tholian to death with a sword made from one of its brothers is not using a weapon and punching the TRIBBLE out of them.
    • Options
      hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      wolfpacknz wrote: »
      Ok before the devs nerf Tholians because of your whinging I'll save them the time and make them easier for YOU... Without any special coding or hacks or cheating or wonderous powers I will do it with 2 words....

ENGINEERING TEAM

Your problem is now solved.....

Whaaaat? Engineering team? What is this team that does not have Tactical in its name of which you speak? What use could, such a so blatantly NON Tactical Team, have?

Honestly though... Tactical Team > All other Teams. I would never sacrifice my CD on TT for a lousy ET.

It is not that these things cannot be countered it is their frequency and just how obnoxious the Tholians are with them. The Tholians are not OP they are just super annoying. When you use a Subsystem Targeting ability what does it do? Drains an amount of subsystem energy too small to notice and maybe shuts it off for the blink of an eye. When they do it they get the system completely shut down for a fair while and all power drained with no fail. Got to love that... or hate it.
    • Options
      x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      I just sit there and eat the damage till i can shoot again, biggest annoyance is the walls and dome they put up.
    • Options
      postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      If the OP thinks tholians are bad he'll loathe the ability spamming elachi in missions like defense of new romulus.