test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: May 2013

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited September 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
In this brand-new edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Daniel Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions.

These questions were asked earlier in the month in this thread, as well as in our French and German forums.

Link to the Ask Cryptic.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So...

Bug fixes and Suliban confirmed, everything else "we'll talk about it later".

Not very enlightening.
  • aramyllaramyll Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So my question about getting fighter/shuttle upgrades was not posted :( so sad !! Also any chance we can get rapid fire missiles, or cluster missiles, or missiles that are affected by HY and TS ??? or missile turrets. You have them in missions and the Elachi have them as well
  • thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    EDIT: ......well I feel stupid.......I should learn to read......
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Q: (captaind3) Suliban bridge officers? Or at least Suliban parts in alien gen. I?ve been waiting for them forever. Pretty Please? Is it gonna happen?

Dstahl:
    Highly likely.

I hope this also means the possibility of Suliban Playable Captain Species. That would be great.

On the Suliban Bridge Officers, I hope it would be as part of an "Evaluate <Species> Bridge Officer Candidate" Doff assignment, like how the Romulan and Reman Species are confirmed to be eventually added for Republic characters. Not against C-store options pe rsay, but would rather have the option of more then one Suliban Boff.

I also want to add my Support to a playable Cardassian Union Faction. But no hurry on that one, I think the Dev team needs a break before they work on another expansion. Still would be awesome to have on the Long term radar.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh nice!
    Q: (psycoticvulcan) Are any of the Federation or Klingon missions slated for remastering in the near future?

Dstahl: Pretty much all of them if we can find time between updates. We?re already working on Fed ones now.

I'm glad to see older missions getting remastered again. It was quite obvious on my Romulan coming out of the LoR story and going back into the old Borg arc. It was painfully obvious how dated those missions are in comparison.
    Q: (vengefuldjinn) Any ETA on a Romulan version of the 1000 day veteran reward?

Dstahl: There are some plans afoot to address this but the closest ETA I can give out is sometime in the next couple months.

Good deal. I was actually thinking about holding off on the Dhelan Retrofit in case the vet ship was coming soon. I went ahead and picked it up anyway. :P
    Q: (nevawinna) Will KDF and Romulans ever get visible kits?

Dstahl: Yes, but it will be through the character creator when we introduce a new kit mechanic we?re working on.

Ohh finally! Been waiting on the new kit system. Not a fan of the current one. Feels way too restrictive for my taste.

Good stuff all around.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for answering my question cryptic, rock solid response too. I can't wait to build a great Romulan doff collection.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hirogen would be a good fit for the Klingons... but I'm sure there's a creative way to add them as playable for the Republic.

The latest Tal Shiar ships are an example of working with CBS to add new ships from other Trek sources? Given that they're new designs and only influenced by the Narada, I don't think that's a good example at all (the Vesta or Luna would have been better). Since those two are the only non-screen ships that we've seen, and they're from the books, I don't hold out hope for ships from any other games or the Paramount movies.

Kits in the costume creator is good.

Will the Romulans get a Captain's Yacht?
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd love to see a story arc based on the events of Star Trek: Enterprise. Something involving the Romulan War in the 2150s would be great.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Ohh finally! Been waiting on the new kit system. Not a fan of the current one. Feels way too restrictive for my taste.

You do realize they've been saying that sort of thing (RE: kit reworks) for the better part of two and a half years now right?
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Big fraking surprise absolutely nothing about a Romulan fleetbase interior/exterior skin or anything of that sort, just the same typical when will we see this species or that added and when do we get more ships.

Why bother even asking us to submit questions when it's always the same questions being answered and 99% are things so far ahead/if ever that it doesn't matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dstahl: Legacy of Romulus is shaping up to be a huge success for us, as well as a major challenge. From the game development perspective, we?re very thankful for the accolades we?ve received on the expansion. At the same time, like some of you, we?re also frustrated with the downtimes and are relying on the technicians to address the problems and help keep Holodeck up and running. While we have had frustrating downtimes and queues, the issues are getting addressed quickly and we?ve enjoyed having more people in game than previous releases. While we can never predict the future, we would like to think that Legacy of Romulus sets the stage for STO to release more expansions in the future.

um yea u can
    this happens each decent size patch/event just like anniversary
    next patch like the upcoming season please plan accordingly

that said
    i am enjoying playing as a romulan, wish they were completely separate, but oh well
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd really like a reputation with branching choices. That could also be interesting for species.

For example, build a rep out of the DS9 FE series and have us choose between allying with the Cardassians, the Deferi, the Breen, and the Gorn. Every group has a price they want in the exchange for helping defend the Preservers against the Elachi.

Which choice we make could influence the rep projects we get and the events inside the reputation missions. Just slightly.

Maybe the Gorn want us to help a breakaway planet escape the Klingon Empire. The Deferi want Preserver secrets. The Breen want weapons. The Cardassians want defensive technology.

We have to make a deal with one of them to progress the "Preserver Defense" faction. We choose which one we deal with and this flavors the later reward projects. (They could be the same basic rewards but with cosmetic differences. And the one we choose could become a playable species for the faction of the Captain who completes the rep.)
  • crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I didn't see anything about bug fixes mentioned, how about instead of blowing hot air with all this talk they just DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
    I don't even know why I bother, most of these were known during beta and were submitted, several times, yet ignored then too...:rollseyes: I don't even play anymore, I just log on long enough to check on my fleet and log out before the bugs tick me off. :mad:

Romulans, cute gimmick I played though that story line and the bugs were absolutely horrible Hopefully in another month they will address bugs...like the game breaking popping sound that started with the lor release (ONLY sto has this issue and it started literally right after I patched...ugh..whatever.:rolleyes:
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Thanks for answering my question cryptic, rock solid response too. I can't wait to build a great Romulan doff collection.

Ditto. Need more Romulan Doffs!
    I'd love to see a story arc based on the events of Star Trek: Enterprise. Something involving the Romulan War in the 2150s would be great.

Sign me up for that one! Big fan of ENT here. :)
    I just don't know how it would work with the current setting and stroyline in STO, and I do hate all of the time traveling and mirror universe nonsence.

Also, whoa, a new fleet holding and a new event? Looking forward to those! :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mccarronxldmccarronxld Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A lot of this is great stuff :) especially happy to hear that the costume kits/armors are being worked on still! Looking forward to it. That said, I was really hoping there would be a statement on account bound reputation.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Obtain all the Romulan DOFFS!!
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I didn't see anything about bug fixes mentioned, how about instead of blowing hot air with all this talk they just DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
    I don't even know why I bother, most of these were known during beta and were submitted, several times, yet ignored then too...:rollseyes: I don't even play anymore, I just log on long enough to check on my fleet and log out before the bugs tick me off. :mad:

They mentioned the big bug fix patch at the beginning of the Ask Cryptic:
    We also have a big bug fix update in the works to address many of the issues that you?ve been reporting such as in game mail, Romulan mission bugs, and much more. QA is checking all these updates and fixes now and we?ll roll them out as soon as we can.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A lot of this is great stuff :) especially happy to hear that the costume kits/armors are being worked on still! Looking forward to it. That said, I was really hoping there would be a statement on account bound reputation.

I would say that nothing in this game related to dilithium (reputation, crafting, STFs) or other things connected with real money (lobi, lock boxes) will ever be account bound. PWE and Cryptic have made their choice and that choice seems to be to CHARGE EVERYTHING!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. But yeah, don't hold your breath for any change that would let people spend less dilithium.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They mentioned the big bug fix patch at the beginning of the Ask Cryptic:

Its such a huge issue to gloss over like that, no detail into it at all.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cant wait to see the Romulan STF gear *so excited* and not to mention their environmental suits.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    new dilthium projects for fleets?

more info pls
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its such a huge issue to gloss over like that, no detail into it at all.

We'll probably get the juicy details on the bug fix patch when the Tribble patch notes are released. Which is where the details should be instead of in a questions and answers blog. The only thing to do is wait for the patch to hit. At least we know it's a big issue for them as well, they're working on it, and it will come. If I were to guess, a bunch of the bug fix might be dependent on other fixes being worked on which is why they can't release it in chunks but as a whole.

But what do I know? I'm just cruiser captain.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • bryguy#1741 bryguy Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's it? I find this Ask Cryptic entry to be rather disappointing.

The good:

The acknowledgement of the network issues and what they've been doing to deal with the problems. The queues have all but vanished, and aside from some random lag and disconnects, stability does seem better then it was a week ago. So credit where credit is due there.

The rest:

This was less like an Ask Cryptic and more like a PR Release/LoR Slurp Fest. It seems like all the questions submitted for this month's AC prior to the reopening for submissions were ignored. With the amount of questions asked, and the problems plaguing the game since LoR launched it seems like this column should have been at least twice as long as it was.

Perhaps I expected too much, but it feel like the spirit of Ask Cryptic has been tarnished. This is a place for players to ask questions of the head guy in charge and get, hopefully, honest and reasonable answers. Of all the questions submitted the ones selected for answer are rather perplexing. Three questions about the next season, all of which were basically answered with "too soon to talk about." At the risk of trivializing questions about dismissing Boffs and kit visuals, I think questions about more urgent matters could have been addressed if you are only able to answer a limited amount.

A good question that should have been answered would have been: How in the heck did such massive bugs such as (but not limited to) the mail system, the immoral Crystaline Entity, and the lance happy B'Gers in Hive Onslaught end up on holodeck when they weren't busted on Tribble?

Instead, some of those bugs barely get a passing mention. We are also told that bug fixes will be coming in "the upcoming month" A month??? Why aren't some of the smaller/easier fixes being pushed to Tribble for testing now? There hasn't been a tribble update in a week. Prior to LoR it was being updated every other day, sometimes more.

We were also given the same non-answers to fleet costs and the Galaxy-X update. How about telling us how we can expect relief in regards to fleet costs, or when we can expect a blog with the information. As for the Galaxy-X, saucer sep has been the go-to excuse for a year and a half now. There are 5 other ships (give or take 1 or 2 that I can't think of at the moment) that have separation ability, one of which happens to be a Galaxy class! Level with us on this, PLEASE! What is the problem/holdup with this ship? Please give us something aside from "saucer sep", or let us in on what part of saucer sep is causing so much hassle. There are some pretty smart people here, you never know, maybe we can help you find a solution. :)

To conclude, yes you did a beautiful job with the Romulan stuff, but I think that should have been a separate press release and this Ask Cryptic used for more pressing matters.

Thank you.
    Thank you for the T6 Galaxy Class. - I support Tovan Khev. - Please bring back the exploration missions.
  • threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    shoulda known he wouldn't have actually answered any questions with conclusive answers. no eta on bug fixes, no eta on fleet holdings, no eta on anything in fact. Well, cept one ETA, server maint tomorrow at 7AM PDT.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited May 2013
    Glad to hear you guys have added some new hardware, loving the expansion so far (4 new kdf-allied romulans so far) Suliban might be an interesting species option, Hirogen I'm so so about except I really, really want that armor you see them wearing in the New Romulus warehouse mission. Also, is there any plans to get playable S'ona ships in game, I have loved those ship designs since ST:Insurrection came out. Hoping we get a nice bug fix patch soon and congrats to all the devs for all the hard work put into this expansion. Dan give them all a pat on the back and an atta boy, because even with the downtimes, server issues and some annoying bugs the team really came through with this expansion.

PS I hope this new kit mechanic will finally enable me to have a targ/saur/jackal mastiff handler kit :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mccarronxldmccarronxld Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malkarris wrote: »
    I would say that nothing in this game related to dilithium (reputation, crafting, STFs) or other things connected with real money (lobi, lock boxes) will ever be account bound. PWE and Cryptic have made their choice and that choice seems to be to CHARGE EVERYTHING!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. But yeah, don't hold your breath for any change that would let people spend less dilithium.

Reputation doesn't really have anything to do with Dilithium though.. it is about Energy Credits, and really the most important and stressful thing: time.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree with that.

Account bound rep levels would actually make it easier to spend more Dilithium, since I'd have to waste less time just leveling up bars, and more time actually buying things.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Absolute rubbish. Why even bother doing "Ask Cryptic"? So you can answer the questions you want to while making it seem as if it's to appease us?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Q: (sollvax) Any chance of dismissing Tovan Khev (or giving him his own command or shooting him)?

Dstahl: While we don?t condone shooting Tovan, we are looking into a way to dismiss him after the Romulan series ends.

Thank the Gods

And the Devs

Please please let us get shot of him
    Live long and Prosper
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A lot of chatter, but hardly any definitive answers....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]