test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How Effective Are Plasma Weapons?

f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Romulan Discussion
Just a curious question before I invest in upgraded fleet weapons for my ship.

Typically, I go phaser or disruptor on my ships ... but with a Romulan warbird ... It cries out ... "plasma."

But just how effective are they overall? ... more so with people using builds designed to face the borg which love to give you that plasma burn proc.
Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
" We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gundancertfrgundancertfr Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Plasma seems to be moderately effective in the Storyline, but I have yet to use it in STF. In PvP, I'd recommend using Tetryon or Polaron, as Plasma is not very effective against shields.

The one addendum to this is Plasma Torpedoes. If you use them after bypassing an enemy's shields, you can crack their armor because of Plasma's "Continuous Burn." However, many experienced PvP Captains will have Engineering Consoles to help counter this effect.

Good luck, and good hunting!
    Commander Tailok,
    Commander, Training & Recruitment,
    Romulan Commonweath

Admiral Shrys,
    Acting C.O.,
    STO Coalition
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    genhauk wrote: »

Typically, I go phaser or disruptor on my ships ... but with a Romulan warbird ... It cries out ... "plasma."

But just how effective are they overall? ... more so with people using builds designed to face the borg which love to give you that plasma burn proc.

All weapons have the same base damage output. What sets them apart are aesthetics, and the associated procs.

For PvE, plasma is very viable, especially if you have access to embassy consoles. Not so much for PvP given the amount of +plasma resist on practically every endgame shield, and the ubiquity of Hazard Emitters.

If you can stand the grind, the Rommie rep plasma/disrutpor hybrids are quite nasty with the combined burn + hull resist debuff proc.
  • saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my opinion, only plasma you could go for would be reputation plasma because it holds the disruptor proc.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • gantoris007gantoris007 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Generally speaking, the weapons which allow you to do extra damage in combat are anti-proton (extra critical hits), disruptor (lowers targets defence, opening the way for more dmg from both you and allies), and plasma (extra damage over time, light them on fire, or "poison" them...)

just by themselves, plasma weapons are fine.

personally, I like to use disruptor weapons for their color, and then i use the special romulan science console from the fleet embassy [-th], boost to shield emitters, and also ADDS PLASMA PROC to non-plasma weapons.

why have only one proc when you can have two?

that's my recommendation. disruptor fleet weapons plus romulan fleet embassy plasma proc console...!
  • rathsartaro1rathsartaro1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gantoris is spot on, for pve T5 rom rep are a good option

But if you insist on getting fleet weapons get something you can use in pvp,
    And that's not going to be plasma.
  • tcostiktcostik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I have a fleetmate who swears by the Romulan plasma weapons. He continually tells people that they're the way to get the highest DPS. Personally, I don't see it. Plasma isn't bad, especially if you run embassy consoles, but I have other consoles I run in their place, so it doesn't make much sense for me to run Romulan weapons. On my tac toon I run AP/Phaser, and Spiral Wave on my Engineer.

Realize though, that any weapon type is viable for PvE. Go with whatever you like the looks of.
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you are going for just PvE then Plasma is just fine. If you are thinking of doing PvP then you have ton think of plasma weapons differently, they are more of a proc delivery system; and you have to really spec in to the proc with Particle Gens, enchantment consoles, the embassy consoles, and the Reputation torpedoes. The idea being that you deliver so many procs with Romulan Plasma Cannons/beams, torpedoes and mines that you eventually have them desynergized with the target's cleanse ability. A fleetmate of mine had a ship that did that, but the AOE of procs from the torpedo/mine detonations was too much he tended to destroy his ship in the process (we called that one Defianting a ship).
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Plasma has no intrinsically valuable proc. The small DOT inflicted via plasma energy weapons is largely ignorable, even without the ubiquity of Hazard Emitters. In short, it has nothing intrinsically going for it, even before you factor in the ubiquity of plasma resistance due to Borg usage and anti-Borg equipment.

While at one point, it was considered the budget PvE damage type due to all of those factors above, this advantage has largely been erased or completely lost, as Plasma is now as expensive as Phaser or Disruptor.

Plasma does have one thing going for it, however: Rep System and Fleet equipment specifically boosting Plasma Damage. This allows plasma weaponry to achieve higher raw values than any other damage type, partially compensating for penalties paid in resistance losses, and making them a strong contender in PvE where enemies don't have resistance. The proliferation of Elite Fleet Shields also helps plasma indirectly, since these shields have no specific plasma resist and penalize everything equally.

In summary: Plasma CAN, with the right equipment, generate the largest sustained raw damage values. Without that equipment, plasma is overpriced TRIBBLE. If you want to use that equipment, then by all means use Plaz. If you don't want to use that equipment, give Plaz a pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I went fleet disruptor. To my way of thinking, since in television, they always used disruptors, it's more canon. :rolleyes:
    It's also more viable for PVP, if I ever get my Rommie in shape for that.

Always been a fan of the disruptor proc for my Klingons.

However, when I rank up, I'll be getting the high end Romulan plasma's and gear.

Question ?, since it just crossed my mind, Rommies have access to those plasma disruptor
    hybrids right?
    Those might be cool too. hmmmmmm
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I went fleet disruptor. To my way of thinking, since in television, they always used disruptors, it's more canon. :rolleyes:
    Apparently, they reconcile this discrepancy by having Tal Shiar use disruptors while Republic uses plaz. Why a bunch of rag-tag rebels would retrofit all their ships with new guns instead of simply continuing to use the preexisting disruptors confuses me as well.

Obviously, the in-game explanation is that if we did the completely canonical thing, way too many enemies would be using disruptors, since the canonical disruptor users are "Romulans, Klingons, and Breen".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I see a lot of out dated opinions on plasma here.

People stating that because of end game shields plasma is no good for pvp.

This is Entirely Incorrect.

Elite Fleet shielding gives resistance to Every damage type. and the Res A versions are much more prevalent than the Res B, Res A do not have plasma res aside from their adaptive capabilities.

Granted, Infusers no longer effect plasma dot However, Particle generators do once again, as well as embassy consoles, also romulan set bonus.
    On a ship with three or more science console spots for embassy consoles, plasma is arguably the highest possible dps'ing weapon in game right now.

Anti-proton, however, no longer functions as it once did. It is not the be all end all weapon of choice anymore.
    Personally I favor phasers, the subsystem offline proc can be entirely devastating at times, and they're pretty.
    Disruptors, namely elite fleet disruptors, kdf side. Are OP. sick sick discrepancy between the fed elites and the kdf elites.
    Reason being, the fed proc only has a small effect on your shield, one time per proc.
    The KDF Disruptor proc however, effects ALL incoming damage to the effected shield, giving that 25% (omfg really?) extra shield damage to all incoming fire from every source for the duration.
  • thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ....just my two cents.....

....I rock the Mk XII DHC Romulan Plasma, plus Rommie Plasma in other slots.....the Reputation projects (Both Borg and Romulan)seem to steer you toward plasma just slightly, plus with the embassy consoles and set bonuses from various pieces of equipment make plasma, in my opinion, very good for everything excluding PvP....sure some DPS Purists say put all Anti-P cannons front, but the setup works for me, and I'm not slacking in any STF by far.....so I get the disruptor and plasma plus soften the target up for the team with the Disruptor and ATPB....so they are a good choice.....but in terms of raw damage *I think* the fleet plasma wins, but you loose the disruptor proc....
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to laugh a little when I see this. Two months ago I was determined to make one of charcters be viable in PvP with plasma. The weapons were cheap as hell (bought a mk xii [acc]x3 for 2.5 mill). But try as I might, dmge output sucked since everyone used borg/maco/omega/hg shields with 20% bonus against plasma. Today I can buy disruptors mk xii accx2 for 2 mill (found one yesterday for 900K) and equivalent plasma is at least twice that.

At least my Romulan will have disruptors like he is supposed to and thanks to market trends it will be alot cheaper than I ever expected. :D
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lake1771 wrote: »

Granted, Infusers no longer effect plasma dot However, Particle generators do once again, .

Where did it say that they changed this? I never read anywhere that they modified Particle Generators to add damage to the plasma dots...
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lake1771 wrote: »
    Granted, Infusers no longer effect plasma dot However, Particle generators do once again, as well as embassy consoles, also romulan set bonus.

Hrmmm, well...

Plasma Infuser:
    Plasma Directed Energy
    Plasma Directed Energy DoT

Ambiplasma:
    Plasma Projectile DoT (including Console - Universal - Plasma Destabilizer DoT)

Particle Generator:
    Eject Warp Plasma
    Singularity - Plasma Shockwave
    Singularity - Plasma Shockwave DoT

Embassy Threat-Scaling Science [Pla]:
    (see below*)

2pc Singularity Harness:
    Plasma Directed Energy
    Plasma Directed Energy DoT

*Regarding the [Pla] consoles, I don't have them to test personally. I've not had room on any ship that's using Plasma Weapons to make use of them. However, per the LoR release notes ( http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=688641 ); these should continue to function as Plasma Infuser once did...

Plasma-Generating Science consoles from the Romulan Reputation system have been updated to increase all Plasma damage, as opposed to just Plasma damage from Directed Energy weapons.

...thus, they would boost everything listed above under the various consoles.
    edited May 2013
    edalgo wrote: »
    This is why I continue to rock my MACO Mk XII shield

People that tend to go Plasma tend to go for DoT builds. Shields do nothing about the hull damage from DoTs.

You'd also need to rock some HE, AtS, PH...rock cleansing of the Rom Plasma Disruptor debuff, the Experimental Array Hyperflux debuff, the Mega Torp debuff, etc, etc, etc...

...people pop all the time with full shields because their hulls got rocked by Plasma, Trans, and various other attacks that really don't care about shields.

Course, many folks do rock that as well...neutering Plasma. 2pc MACO w/ a SciCdr Deflector or even an AtB build where it's not so much the heal as the cleanse/resists from the HE. Don't forget they added that new WCE for Fed/KDF that has a 40% chance to cleanse all debuffs on the use of an EPtX ability. Yep, very easy to neuter Plasma in PvP.

In PvE though...I've found it makes it very easy to hold aggro regardless of who else is there. NPCs don't like it...it's constant damage...they'll ignore folks that are doing more actual damage, leaving them to do more actual damage. Can work out well that way...
  • valarauko43valarauko43 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been loading up on Caustic Plasma DHC and turrets obtained from "The Last Stand" mission. They're free.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PvP plasma weapons are not that great with all the shields that have Plasma resistance as well as people having hazard emitters.

In PvE Plasma weapons are better because NPC ships don't use hazard emitters. Having a Plasma Torpedo is highly recommend for Elite STF missions because the Plasma Fire can eat at the hull of targets which is very valuable especially if your stuck with other people that have crappy damage and your trying to destroy a boss ship.
    edited May 2013
    I really wished they would of gotten rid of the plasma resists on STF gear, especially with the RR using Plasma weapons. I love plasma weapons but kinda sucks for pvp.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I really wished they would of gotten rid of the plasma resists on STF gear, especially with the RR using Plasma weapons. I love plasma weapons but kinda sucks for pvp.

Just no! Stop ruining our pve gear for your pvp please.

In game wise, the vulcans have been using plasma weapons. So the reuinificationist Republic changed their type to mirror the Vulcans, not the Star Empire.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Apparently, they reconcile this discrepancy by having Tal Shiar use disruptors while Republic uses plaz. Why a bunch of rag-tag rebels would retrofit all their ships with new guns instead of simply continuing to use the preexisting disruptors confuses me as well.

Obviously, the in-game explanation is that if we did the completely canonical thing, way too many enemies would be using disruptors, since the canonical disruptor users are "Romulans, Klingons, and Breen".

Because the Republic's cash strapped and plasma weapons traditionally are cheap on the exchange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Plasma was common used as direct energy ... in the 22nd century, do you see the US Army using matchlock firearms in the 21th century?

You seem to be making the assumption that in a completely fictional universe, one type of purely made up directed energy weapon can't be made equal to other purely made up directed energy weapons.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    Only way to go is to get the caustic plasma turrets and cannons, it looks like you're shooting pixie dust at the enemies =D

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
    edited May 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Just no! Stop ruining our pve gear for your pvp please.

In game wise, the vulcans have been using plasma weapons. So the reuinificationist Republic changed their type to mirror the Vulcans, not the Star Empire.

Give it some special mod that reduces the damage Borg do to you, not that its needed.
  • alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    In all Honest I think they suck big time. I have rare plasma heavy dual cannon MK XI crafted once on my Romulan Sci character with the plasma torpedo and the plasma turret all MK XI and the dps and them are so low compare to the phaser which I use on my Tac character. Even with the with three plasma infuser MK XI the dps is so low.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited June 2013
    alikain, if the gear is the same mk, rarity and you use the same skills then short of a shield offline proc with phasers the plasma weapons should do more damage. The weapons themselves will do the same damage but the plasma burn will add more. Also plasma burn is affected by particle gens so if you have some points in that it will improve them.

However if you're using them in PvP then the damage with plasma is so low because everyone uses plasma resist shields due to STF and STF rep rewards.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
    edited June 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    Also plasma burn is affected by particle gens so if you have some points in that it will improve them.

Particle Gens don't affect the DoT from Directed Energy Weapons nor Projectiles.

They affect the DoT from EWP and the Plasma Shockwave...
    edited June 2013
    alikain wrote: »
    In all Honest I think they suck big time. I have rare plasma heavy dual cannon MK XI crafted once on my Romulan Sci character with the plasma torpedo and the plasma turret all MK XI and the dps and them are so low compare to the phaser which I use on my Tac character. Even with the with three plasma infuser MK XI the dps is so low.

Umm that's kinda impossible, unless you phasers were of superior quality.
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Umm that's kinda impossible, unless you phasers were of superior quality.

Or if he was testing them against another player who had one of the Omega reputation shields or any other shield with high plasma resistance. Otherwise I agree, if the phasers and plasmas were given identical equipment bonuses and used on exactly the same ship (swapping to the appropriate tactical consoles were applicable), ignoring procs they should have identical damage.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've always liked plasma. Attempted a few times to create a plasma DoT build, but got side tracked. . . stupid ADHD. . . Now, with my Romulan, I'm going to attempt it again.

What's always bugged me about plasma though is that its DoT is so easy to get rid of. HE is one of the universal boff powers that every ship runs, which makes the DoT just one click away from clearing.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011