test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another maintenance?! What the.... [It was canceled]

sabouma1979sabouma1979 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
Just got the message ingame: shard will be coming down for maintenance in 15 minutes...

Guys, it's 8:40 PM over here, I want to play the game for crying out loud!

Stop with all those pointless maintenance rounds!:mad:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• velktravelktra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You won't think the maintenance is "pointless" if they skip it and the server suddenly crashes and kicks you out of the game. Would you prefer that they leave the server running with no cooldown time and no maintenance so it can crash on a weekend and then not come back up until someone is in the office to fix it? ;)
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
  • sabouma1979sabouma1979 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    velktra wrote: »
    You won't think the maintenance is "pointless" if they skip it and the server suddenly crashes and kicks you out of the game. Would you prefer that they leave the server running with no cooldown time and no maintenance so it can crash on a weekend and then not come back up until someone is in the office to fix it? ;)

There have been maintenance rounds for the past couple of days, each for 1,5 or 2 hours to boot. From what I've read so far on this forum, things aren't exactly going well. So yes, I call these maintenance rounds pointless....
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited May 2013

We will wait true ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There have been maintenance rounds for the past couple of days, each for 1,5 or 2 hours to boot. From what I've read so far on this forum, things aren't exactly going well. So yes, I call these maintenance rounds pointless....

I would too, except I got booted from the server a few minutes ago and couldnt get back in.
  • kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Slightly missing the point, if you knew anything about servers, they dont need down time. Otherwise going to a website would be a nightmare...

Going to the BBC website and its down because of maintenance, if you had half a brain you would have many servers setup so service was not interrupted. Like many other sites and games do.

So in essence, Craptic really do not have a clue...

Funny thing is Neverwinter never goes down like this, or you dont get any server kicks...
    I wonder why!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So yes, I call these maintenance rounds pointless....

call it what you like but yes it is needed.

the game was lagging terribly before and needs a reset. if they did not do it, the game would either have crashed soon after or ground to a point of being unplayable.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    Slightly missing the point, if you knew anything about servers, they dont need down time. Otherwise going to a website would be a nightmare...

Going to the BBC website and its down because of maintenance, if you had half a brain you would have many servers setup so service was not interrupted. Like many other sites and games do.

Funny thing is Neverwinter never goes down like this, or you dont get any server kicks...
    I wonder why!
    You might want to take a time out and learn how software works. The issue is not the hardware in this case, it is the code itself that they are struggling to fix.
    edited May 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »

I wonder why!

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you.
    edited May 2013
    the game was lagging terribly before and needs a reset.

it might be laggy for a group of people, but not for everyone.... so it might be useful for people also to check their own hardware...
  • superfoxyplushsuperfoxyplush Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Completely agree, I still get:
    "Server not responding" at least a min per load screen ( Give or take )
    I still can't delete my mail.
    Still can't see what I'm rolling on when questing with my partner.
    Still can't re-spec my main because of an "Unknown error" with skills.
    Still have occasional problems with my Aft weapons not firing Automatically when I pass a target.
    Keep getting booted from Mirror universe.
    Keep getting "cannot get name from map manager"
    Still not got my monthly Stipend of points.
    Romulan Hails occasionally show random people talking to me from my ship, that I don't actually have on it.
    Boffs dissapear out of their stations when Exiting or occasionally entering eSTFs

Whilst I agree, maint is important. As a european it's -always- in our times too. Why not 12 midnight US time, that'll be approx 6am in the EU. That time wouldn't impact as many as it does now.
    edited May 2013
    it might be laggy for a group of people, but not for everyone.... so it might be useful for people also to check their own hardware...

its nothing to do with people hardware. when the server experienced problems it can affect some people and others can continue happily.

branflakes tweeted that they were having reports of lag. the entire zone i was in suddenly started all complaining about lag at the same time.

thats why they are doing emergency maintenance with little notice. yes there was a problems and yes it needed fixing.
  • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about people stop crying. There are other things to do then play STO. I am actually in favor of them bringing it down for a couple hours each day to slowly start to fix all the bugs that have appeared since the expansion.

Same people complaining about the downtime are the same people demanding XYZ bug get fixed. Let them fix the game.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
    edited May 2013
    Why not 12 midnight US time, that'll be approx 6am in the EU. That time wouldn't impact as many as it does now.

That sounds like a fine idea to me
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

Maintenance has been canceled. We believe that the latency has subsided/ is getting much better. We will continue to monitor.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited May 2013
    UPDATE from Twitter:

Hi Captains! Our emergency restart has been canceled - we will continue to monitor and update you accordingly. Thanks for your patience.

Yay!

EDIT: Oh Lol.... you beat me to it :P
    edited May 2013
    vamank wrote: »
    How about people stop crying. There are other things to do then play STO. I am actually in favor of them bringing it down for a couple hours each day to slowly start to fix all the bugs that have appeared since the expansion.

Same people complaining about the downtime are the same people demanding XYZ bug get fixed. Let them fix the game.

I love comments like this. Well lets see. It's 8pm here, I've done everything I need to and I'd like to spend the night with alittle time with my GF escaping reality and playing something we both like to do and have paid for.

A week and still bug filled, to my knowlage there has only been one bug fixed since launch. Not even the loot colours have been changed, then theres the JHAS carrier pets that we've been told -has- been fixed, the patch just hasn't made it to holodeck.

I have no idea whats going on over there, granted but from my end, nothing is being done and It's annoying to be honest. Either way the maint has been cancelled :P
  • pockchop38pockchop38 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope they fix the mail not deleting. How long has that been an issue?
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Computer cancel self destruct... Authorisation Janeway Pi 110
  • mikec1013mikec1013 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Server not responding" at least a min per load screen ( Give or take )
    I still can't delete my mail.
    Still can't see what I'm rolling on when questing with my partner.
    Still can't re-spec my main because of an "Unknown error" with skills.
    Still have occasional problems with my Aft weapons not firing Automatically when I pass a target.
    Keep getting booted from Mirror universe.
    Keep getting "cannot get name from map manager"
    Still not got my monthly Stipend of points.
    Romulan Hails occasionally show random people talking to me from my ship, that I don't actually have on it.
    Boffs dissapear out of their stations when Exiting or occasionally entering eSTFs

Whilst I agree, maint is important. As a european it's -always- in our times too. Why not 12 midnight US time, that'll be approx 6am in the EU. That time wouldn't impact as many as it does now.

About the whole "Server not responding" thing:
    Anyone else notice that pops up when the game is mini-patching when changing maps. The "server not responding" isn't always necessarily the server not responding. In fact, its just the game patching. The server not responding pop up is false in that case.
  • hicks451hicks451 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well i must say what a fantastic job you guys do on STO!!!! NOT!!!!! I mean come on what a load of TRIBBLE!!! First of all you anounce that you are bringing the shard down in 15 mins without no warnings and then you disided to do it bang on the main UK time and also when its a fleet marks event and then cancel it at the last minute!!! I had over 10 fleet mates ready to link on two teams and now they have all gone due to you saying the shards comming down and now they have all gone you have lifted it!!! what a joke and a complete shambles!!!! so what do i do now on the fleet event with hardly any fleet members on due to your incompitence!!!! Think before you act as you have shown a total lack of professionalism since LOR has been released and i plus a load of othes really beleave that some heads shoud roll and you should stop making a complete muppet of everything and put STO first before any of the team!!! Thanks again for loosing my fleet plenty of marks and i just hope no one else suffered the same fate!!!!
  • tahlloltahllol Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vamank wrote: »

Problem is they are not fixing any of the bugs just making them worse. They really should fire their Dev and tech departments and hire someone competent that knows what a computer is.

And don't cry for Europeans about the times they are taking the servers down, a lot of the down times have been from 5/6pm PST for 2 hours at a time which is really annoying and in US prime time.
  • sophus84atsophus84at Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why are people still complaining about the maintenance when its canceled??
    "Mei Borg is net deppat".....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    mikec1013 wrote: »
    About the whole "Server not responding" thing:
    Anyone else notice that pops up when the game is mini-patching when changing maps. The "server not responding" isn't always necessarily the server not responding. In fact, its just the game patching. The server not responding pop up is false in that case.

I've turned off "On demand patching" so my client updates when I try to log-in rather than map change. So I can only think it is the server not responding. Might be Cryptic it might be any of the connections between here and the U.S either way, my info isn't getting to the server and back. :D
  • tarantatsuuchitarantatsuuchi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They just like complaining? :P
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's well-known (or should be after all these years) that Cryptic's engine is prone to memory leaks. The more it's used, the more that happens. And STO's seeing some pretty heavy usage lately...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure why you say "no warning" - I saw the announcement that "this shard will be going down in 10 minutes..." both on-screen (fly-in) and in general chat.

I had only been on for a minute so I can't vouch for any other announcements made prior to that, but my experience is they start announcing at least 30 mins in advance.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    edited May 2013
    pockchop38 wrote: »
    I hope they fix the mail not deleting. How long has that been an issue?

This was an issue once before.
    The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round...

They're saving the fix for the next lock box. Or it might be added to the Lobi store. Depends on how much of our blood PWE feels they can suck from us. Right now we're actually in a blind study to see how much mail a mailbox can mail before a bunch of Trekkies punch their computer screens. Or Maybe... maybe it'll be the season 8 testing reward. Those of you not on tribble that weekend might be royally screwed.
  • alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

Maintenance has been canceled. We believe that the latency has subsided/ is getting much better. We will continue to monitor.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well no duh, people were leaving in their droves because you said the server was going down for shard maintenance!
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
  • carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hicks451 wrote: »
    so what do i do now
    If I were you, I'd fix your keyboard. It seems the only grammar-related keys that work are the exclamation point button, and that seems to want to repeat itself every time you press it.
    edited May 2013
    I've turned off "On demand patching" so my client updates when I try to log-in rather than map change. So I can only think it is the server not responding. Might be Cryptic it might be any of the connections between here and the U.S either way, my info isn't getting to the server and back. :D

WHAT?! I thought you couldn't turn that off! Where do I find that? A lot of the time I'm playing is over wireless 4G and the whole patching hell thing gets old quick. I almost forgot how to turn off the lockbox flyby's. Do we need to turn off the on demand patching for each character like the lockbox announcements, or is it account wide?
This discussion has been closed.