test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why would a real Romulan side with the Federation?

Comments

• sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what's a 'true' Romulan? because that's a pretty generic statement about an entire species.

Most of the romulans we see work for the military or tal shiar and tend to fall into the sterotypical, sneaky, untrusting bad guy role that probably would not want to help starfleet.

The majority of the romulan people however are no different to humans. they are just people trying to go about their daily lives but are being kept under the thumb by a paranoid and oppressive government. they are expected to hate the federation but i doubt any of them have much reason to hate them except for being told it. Now they are out from under the thumb they can start to think for themselves. if starfleet is providing aid and friendship then why not trust them.

we have also seen some romulans working with starfleet on more than one occasion, even if they are not best friends, so its not uncommon.

you dont have to love someone to be their ally. in certain circumstances, even through our own history, you dont even have to like an ally so long as you get something out of it.

Erm, just like humans? I thought that the whole point of the Romulans as a race was that they rejected Surak's philosophy of suppressing their violent urges with a rigid system of logic and emotional control in favour of preserving their emotions and taming their violent urges by adopting their odd combination of paranoia and (twisted, by our standards)personal honour?

I don't doubt that there are some happy-clappy Unificationists among the Romulan people, but they're probably not that much larger a percentage of the population than emotional Vulcans are of theirs.

That's what gets me about the RR storyline to be honest, it's so lacking in subtlety - you have D'Tosser and his unquestionably good-guy not-very-Romulan Romulans on one side, and "Melodrama" Hakeev with his merry band of cat-strokingly evil Iconian-stooges on the other. IMO, they should BOTH have been antagonists, since they both want to destroy the Romulan people and way of life in their own way.

As to the OP; I went with the Klingons, first because I already have three Fed captains and felt like a change, and second because within the context of the pidgeonholed choices you're given during the story, the Klinks seemed like they would actually have my back in a fight against the Tal Shiar, while the Feds gave the impression they'd try their usual diplomacy shtick.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, I would have hoped your parents told you this sooner but...... Romulans are not real... I know I'm sorry, let me give you time to let that soak in I know it's hard to grasp.

I'll be in game if you need a shoulder to cry on.:D

But the Easter bunny that is Real.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I chose to ally with the Klingons but for some reason I have a Starfleet officer on my bridge. Wtf. She even hails during some missions. Gotta be a bug.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dogmaticus wrote: »
    I was thinking while making choice about the allegiance that there is no reason why a true Romulan would want side with the Feds.

I love Federation side, but as a Romulan I can't see myself joining them.

So my question is - how do you, lore-wise, justify joining Federation?

I just started rolling a Klink and frankly, given the open hatred for Roumlans portrayed I can't really see why the Rom's would side with the klinks or why Klinks would even allow them to join their side!

At least Federation side, one could argue that they would be 'open minded' to the possibility of an allegiance given the nature of the United Federation of Planets itself.

That being said, however, I wish the Rom's just got their own complete faction without having to align themselves with either or. Would have been better imho. :rolleyes:
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "True Romulan."

Might as well ask why a "true black guy" would play baseball instead of basketball?
  • dogmaticusdogmaticus Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "True Romulan."

Why would a "true black guy" play baseball instead of basketball?

Again - read what I post :)... as I mentioned already before - I used words "real" and "true" to give the feeling of stereotypical Romulan xenophobic approach. That's point number one. Point number two is that you're implying that my question i racist, while in fact I see huge difference between an average Romulan and average black guy - black people exist, Romulans don't. Furthermore - I have nothing against Romulans playing both baseball and basketball, though the excitement behind the baseball escapes me ;).
  • matthewpr1matthewpr1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well in the future of this future the romulans and kligons are part of the federation and well this seems as good a time as any to start. It makes sense: the romulans siding with the klingons would only intensify the situation between the feds and the KDF (most likely resulting in the destruction of the federation), but the roms joining the feds would put more pressure on the klingons to join the federation :)
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "True Romulan."

Might as well ask why a "true black guy" would play baseball instead of basketball?
    You are again confusing the difference between culture and stereotypes. The Romulan Republic is like Amish driving tractors. See the difference?
  • jayfresh11jayfresh11 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess a Romulan who believes in cowboy diplomacy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wasn't the Federation the only organization in the galaxy that tried to save Romulus?

I mean, yeah, they failed, but they were the only people who even put forth an effort.

I'd think many Romulans would appreciate that.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wasn't the Federation the only organization in the galaxy that tried to save Romulus?

I mean, yeah, they failed, but they were the only people who even put forth an effort.

I'd think many Romulans would appreciate that.

I got told that was all dun behind feds and Vulcans back something that happen in them 09 comics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • kerryleblanckerryleblanc Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2014
    If you too kiss and make up then go fed, if you want to make sure your people survive the coming darkness then Klingon, nothing better than a disruptor blast from a cloaked ship to deal with those pesky bugs. :D
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My Romulan joined the Federation.

Not all Romulans are the same. Either they are regular people, or the ones in Tal Shair. The ones in the Tal, are sneaky, treacherous, evil suckers. That rule with an Iron Fist and terror.

My Romulan was on a planet trying to survive, then got attacked by the Elachi and Tal working together. By forcing her to join them later, or become part of the sick Elachi experiments. From that sealed her ways of having nothing to do with the Tal and will fight them to the end. Why to join the Federation? Back in the Dominion War they did work with the Federation at times, even in Nemesis they did help as well. So they are partial to settling their differences to the Federation. Thus she joined them. As for not wanting in KDF, granted they are trying to heal those wounds. She didn't like the KDF way of doing things. And thought the Federation could use a fighter to help them take out enemies.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Beggars can't be choosers.

But in all honesty it's a copy-paste job of the klingon alliance from the tos movies.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nniol tr'Keiniadh liased with the Federation after watching what happened at the Khitomer Conference. The Klingons were openly disdainful of the Rihannsu, insulting and demeaning us at every turn, until one of us had to give his life to save one of theirs. (And even then, there were those who openly speculated that the whole thing was "just another Romulan trick"...)

Meanwhile, the Federation's attitude from the beginning, once you got past the ambassador's tendency to run off at the mouth, was one of wishing to be helpful. Even Admiral T'Nae, for all her Vulcan xenophobia about Rihannsu intentions, wasn't openly dismissive of us, merely reserving judgement (an attitude any Rihanha can appreciate).

And it's well-known that Klingon attitudes toward their "allies" stand as firm as a nierrh in a hurricane. The first time one of their Great Houses sees an advantage in disavowing Mol'Rihan, they'd throw us to the thrai. So while Nniol sees the wisdom in pursuing support from both of the major factions in the quadrant, he can't bring himself to trust the Klivam any further than he can throw a Warbird.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nniol tr'Keiniadh liased with the Federation after watching what happened at the Khitomer Conference. The Klingons were openly disdainful of the Rihannsu, insulting and demeaning us at every turn, until one of us had to give his life to save one of theirs. (And even then, there were those who openly speculated that the whole thing was "just another Romulan trick"...)

Meanwhile, the Federation's attitude from the beginning, once you got past the ambassador's tendency to run off at the mouth, was one of wishing to be helpful. Even Admiral T'Nae, for all her Vulcan xenophobia about Rihannsu intentions, wasn't openly dismissive of us, merely reserving judgement (an attitude any Rihanha can appreciate).

And it's well-known that Klingon attitudes toward their "allies" stand as firm as a nierrh in a hurricane. The first time one of their Great Houses sees an advantage in disavowing Mol'Rihan, they'd throw us to the thrai. So while Nniol sees the wisdom in pursuing support from both of the major factions in the quadrant, he can't bring himself to trust the Klivam any further than he can throw a Warbird.

This also helped me choose the Federation. They KDF wasn't too happy at all until a Romulan got killed saving a Klingon. Only then they was like wow, we need to ally. Where the others was at least trying to put aside their differences and work it out.

• blackhatgaryblackhatgary Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    dogmaticus wrote: »
    I was thinking while making choice about the allegiance that there is no reason why a true Romulan would want side with the Feds.

I love Federation side, but as a Romulan I can't see myself joining them.

So my question is - how do you, lore-wise, justify joining Federation?

Recall warf, in TNG. How his birth parents were killed, and his resulting in being raised with Humans. (Pardon text.. using phone)
  • morchadesmorchades Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm with farmallm and jonsills, after the experience of the Khitomer Conference mission I can't imagine Romulan pride letting them ally with the Klingons.

If you look at it from the player character's POV as an everyday citizen who only knows both groups through propaganda and may not know the Federation sent so much aid, it still makes more sense to side with the Federation just based on resources.

The Klingons keep things dark, dank and filthy. Outfits tend to be worn and torn and bloodied. Their ship interiors are dark and metal. While we all know this is a point of pride among Klingons, to outsiders it basically just says that the Empire doesn't take care of the KDF. And if they don't spare many resources to make their own people comfortable, how many will they spare an allied outsider?

The Federation, on the other hand, just radiates prosperity. Starfleet officers wear spotless uniforms, have impeccable manners, are clearly well-fed and well-equipped. Their ships are well-lit, carpeted, and spacious.

Both of these factions are powerful. The Federation may have gotten complacent in the TNG-era but they are definitely in fighting shape no matter what you may say in your trash talk. But one of these two is stingy with funds and treats you with contempt. The other has resources to burn and a reputation for giving those resources out to allies. When you need not only firepower but extra materials to build a new society, the choice is obvious.
    edited September 2014
    Game wise, the Federation is set up better. Missions, more bases, they seem to have better on most things. Like Morchades said the KDF seems to keep their people more in the dark, their city is more dreary and dirty. Their clothes are more torn and stained. And don't forget the Tal making this comment. "This planet stinks. It must be the Klingons." during the hidden base mission. Even Kirk and crew noted the stink of Klingon in Star Trek VI. And many times the Federation usually sends aid to help. Where the KDF usually don't. And let them survive to their own devices.

For me my Romulan is trying to better herself in the situation. In this case the Federation has the better way of doing it.

Its all preference.

• janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Romulans are militaristic Vulcans with their emotions intact and in use. Creating alliances is for tactical reasons, not out of any sentimental sense of friendship. Remember that D'Tan makes it clear that the purpose of these two alliances is to stave off military issues with holders of our new borders, and to create a multiple threat to the Tal Shiar as part of an overall strategy in establishing New Romulus in this area of space.

As an additional bonus, it gets Romulan Republic operatives into key positions in both of these nearby major galactic powers and all it costs is some information on Imperial Romulan secrets.. we're paying for our freedom using the secrets of our enemies.

As the famous Romulan General Sun-Tzu once said, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ever heard the phrase 'the lesser of two evils'

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    i'm in the holy TRIBBLE guys, it an over a year old necro thread camp, myself.
  • darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    When Hobus happened, the Fed, at least some of them, tried to help the Romulan. Picard make several appeal to the Romulan Senate, the Vulcan, and the Federation. Spock tried to use Red matter on the supernova, and according to what people think in STO (unknowing of the event of JJ trek), probably died doing so. Yeah, a Vulcan giving his life to save the Romulan.
    Later, the Feds sent help to colonies.

What did the Klingons ? They attacked Romulan colonies to take them back. They took this opportunity to wage war against the remnant of the Empire. Talk about honor....

Just like Donatra did before, the Fed can be trusted to some extent. The KDF on the other hand are not.

so this, it was the federation who tried to help the romulans by sending aide etc to help them and as you said Picard made several time to appeal to the senate the vulcans who are stuck up or seems like it and to the federation. Spock and probably other starfleet officers probably tried to help event chatting with the romulan senate, federation council, vulcan council. The federation sent aid to the romulans and their colonies while the klingons did they send aid or even tried to help no they did not klingons sent raiders to attack the romulans. So I can easily see the romulans joining the federation cause it was the federation who tried to help who sent help while klingons attacked them and raided them

For me my romulans always join the federation I don't even think about it
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, this whole thing about the Romulans following a clearly homosexual D'Tan to become sycophants of the Federation is beyond unbelievable. How does losing a single world cause your entire empire to fall at the pinnacle of its power?
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Even though it's a year old thread i wanna play along too! hehe

I dont know if the Romulan > Fed/KDF allegiance choice was copied off of WoW's Panda > Horde/Alliance allegiance choice. But in both games it didnt make sense to me. Pandaren came from Pandaria and the Wandering Isle came to the mainlands and just because a King and Warchief tells them, they are now enemies with people who they once called friends? for WoW's storyline it seemed like they were really reaching to find a reason to have pandaren fighting each other. In STO it is a little more believable at least because Romulans have had previous interactions with the Fed and KDF. SO it makes sense that a group of Romulans would join either side. But the Pandaren who had zero contact with anyone else (aside from maybe a small handful like Chen).

From a design standpoint it's brilliant...and lazy at the same time. They get to create a new race/races, they get to create a new episode specifically for that new race, but they only have to do it once because they get shared and at some point their personal race story stops and they merge into their host factions storyline. Personally, i would have been much happier if they were given the Dranei/Blood Elf or Goblin/Worgen treatment. Nevermind that the storyline for each might have been good or bad. But Dranei got their own starting areas and storyline and it went from 1-20 same with the Belfs. Goblin and Worgen had 1-10 which was unique to them only and stupidly (i think) the devs made those two starter zones unavailable for the rest of the game. Then the level 10-20 and onwards took place in Ashzara which was changed around to accomodate the Goblins. And i dont remember what the Worgen got from 10-20 and onwards, i just remember getting our own spot in Darnassus hehe.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Lorewise? My Romulan is an old school Star Empire loyalist. She wears the uniform of the Empire. She flies the flag of the Empire. Not the Tal Shiar. She fights them and everything they are. But why did she ally with the Feds? Because the Federation is civillised. They stand by their treaties. They provide aid and assitance to anyone when needed. They have proven themselves an honourable organisation. Mostly.

Klingons are nothing more than mongrol dogs that belong in a zoo. Why would I ally myself with rabid animals? They fight their way out of situations rather than take an intelligent approach. They are obsessed with honour, and can't see past their own moral beliefs, and expect to impose that on others. The Federation may not see your beliefs, but they will respect them enough to let us practise them.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you too kiss and make up then go fed, if you want to make sure your people survive the coming darkness then Klingon, nothing better than a disruptor blast from a cloaked ship to deal with those pesky bugs. :D

Nice necro, kerryleblanc.

Lore-wise? The Federation provided humanitarian aid to the Romulans after Hobus, whereas the Klingons decided it would be a good opportunity to steal some territory from them.

For my Rom in particular? Her best friend growing up was a Federation ambassador's kid.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You guys know the two Romulan NPCs that are sitting in Qonos? close to where the Klingon judge is sitting? they'll say stuff like "i cant believe i'm calmly sitting here in Qonos having a conversation". They seem so out of place there it isnt even funny, and their line kinda highlights that. They might as well be in a lions den surrounded by half eaten gazelles saying "i cant believe i'm calmy sitting here, 20 feet away from hungry lions having a conversation".
  • joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Joining the Federation entirely allows a race to maintain their culture, independence and ways. It does not require entrance to Starfleet and allows you to keep your own Military forces. Romulans completely Joining the Federation would be independent AND have an ally easy to call on who will jump to assist at a moments notice, and is based upon their codes of ethics and rules be easy to manipulate later, and act in predictable ways.

Klingons are racist and force those they subjugate into conforming to their rulership, and culture which acknowledges only individuals and never a race as equals.

Historically the Federation has not lost a war. They got beat on pretty heavily by the Dominion, but then so did the Klingons and Romulans at the same time. They have made peace (Federation winning a conflict when facing enemies like the Klingons) and advanced technologically faster than any other group in the alpha and beta quadrants. They are the winning team, and it's obvious they are winning in the game as well when you try to do a STF on the KDF side at peak times that isn't cross faction.

That's why you choose Blue instead of Red in game as a Romulan.