test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Damn it, Damn it.

fudgeoflifefudgeoflife Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Argh!

In many missions you rely on allies that are non-respawnable like your bridge crew, and every single time they die way too fast and you are left fighing solo something that is meant to be fought with half an army...

In 'The Defense of New Romulus' all the allies died and it was quite literally 1v30. I had to get 2 vice admirals to help me finish.

Now in 'Cutting The Cord' I am trying to kill Hakeev but yes, its just me vs him and his minions...

Agh so annoying.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'A few deaths are a tragedy. A few million is a statistic.'
Post edited by fudgeoflife on

Comments

• lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like you forgot to upgrade your crew's equipment. Remember, they all need to keep all of their gear up to date, not just you. So, armor, weapons, and personal shields for everybody in your bridge crew, the most recent tech you can use. Also make sure you've got hypos and shield batteries slotted into their quickslots so they can heal themselves in a pinch.

If all of this doesn't work you're doing something wrong, because the missions you cited are very do-able with just your bridge crew. I got through them without anybody getting knocked over.

Also: If somebody falls over, you can use CPR to pick them up and get them back in the fight. A lot of people forget that you can do this. Just keep an eye on their health and be ready to help them if they get tipped over.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you tried taking down the weaker targets first?

Generally helps...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anazonda wrote: »

Generally helps...

Yep, this also usually fixes most "It's too hard!" problems. Start with the weakest targets in the bunch and work your way up.
  • ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    'The Defense of New Romulus' is probably the most challenging regular mission. My first go at it I just powered up and charged in expecting to destroy the whole flotilla in seconds like I do on my VA ships. Got my butt kicked. Instead skirt the perimeter and destroy the frigates first, then go for the battleships and then the command ship. In the meantime there are two or three allied ships that WILL repair themselves and they'll slowly work down the command ship that you add on to after taking down the smaller ships. Mission complete.

'Cutting the Cord'. Not sure what to tell ya here other than just make sure your gear is relatively up to date. Hakeev is a chump and dies pretty easily. That mission is very easy.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem with that mission is that it specifically tells you to go after the command ship--which is correct; once the command ship is out, the rest topple as part of the story.*

The Elachi are much more difficult than any other mob group in the game. Throwing so many at you and forcing you to rely on NPCs with paper-thin health/shields is just silly.

I wish they'd re-tune that one.
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anazonda wrote: »

Generally helps...

In Defense of New Romulus, the weaker targets are quickly replaced when destroyed. The big ships (like the dreadnoughts) don't get replaced.
  • ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem with that mission is that it specifically tells you to go after the command ship--which is correct; once the command ship is out, the rest topple as part of the story.*

The Elachi are much more difficult than any other mob group in the game. Throwing so many at you and forcing you to rely on NPCs with paper-thin health/shields is just silly.

Yeah it could use some down tuning. Still doable with some thought process though. Guess we're so accustomed to everything in STO being Easy Mode 101 (including elite STFs). Its not as bad now though as it was on Tribble during beta when you literally had to gangbang it to complete that mission.
  • alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Died 6 times doing that defense mission last night. Finished it and calmed down enough to have a smug sense of satisfaction to know I beat it. Cryptic need to offer one hell of a nice reward for me to even attempt to replay that @ VA :P
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
  • scipunk1973scipunk1973 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I found that mission hard as well. I had maybe 3 allies left and they were all repairing constantly. I just rod the outer edge and thinned the group and then went after the command shop with everything, including my pirate distress call.

Took me out like 7 times...lol
  • sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And it's not just the paper shields aspect, almost anyone's shields would look like paper after getting tagged by all those Crescent cannons simultaneously. And ya, they really do. Staggering the spawns may help to keep the Elachi ships from creating a killzone of death.

But it's really bloody frustrating.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    Yeah gotta admit it's much tougher than it should be. I was skirting the outside parts going after weaker mobs and they get replaced but it also seems like the area you're in matters too. If you can get the command ship to follow you or split them all up then it's much easier.

Though when they can super VM spam you and those tractor mines appear out of nowhere you might as well turn off shields and accept your respawn if you get caught by those invisible things.

I think more than anything they just need to make your allies better than photonic fleet. I had tons of romulan ships alive up until the Fed and KDF joined and then it's as if they all got scared and ran away.

I might try it as a group though, I gather it would be a lot easier with humans than repairing ships.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • keysmachinekeysmachine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    agreed that mission was pissing me off to no end.

all the friendly ships were burned down in seconds and i was forced to just keep using ramming speed and bashed my ship over and over again on the command ship while pelting it with cannons and plasma torpedoes until it died.

i probably died a good 25 times.

in fact i think i got a couple of achievements out of dieing so much.