test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maintenance Announcement (May 26, 2013 - 7AM PDT) [Complete!]

Comments

• trbblemedictrbblemedic Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So much anger. At times I have to remind myself that the people posting such passion are actually adults and not children. Guess that just goes to show that we all still have a little bit of the child left in us. Come on people life's to short to get so upset. Things will return to 'normal' and once again I will meet you in the game and never think that you were one of the people ranting and raving here on the forums.

"Just sitting back with my coffee and feet up waiting to play"
  • tommyatstarfleettommyatstarfleet Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have always wondered why sto doesnt carry seperate servers like alot of other games i have played, for instance IMVU they have a download of 12 gbs total on there shard with multiple servers and they do matienance without shutting down the shard while everyone plays a good portion of the time.

All a person has to do is restart and load the patch
  • orici1701orici1701 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    Well they have fixed bugs. There has been several fixes to things already that was effecting players. Some of them was considered game breaking. Such as not being able to level up!!!! Pretty major bug and guess what it was fixed very quickly in 1 of the down times. How would them players effected by this bug had benefited by waiting for a week?

IT does NOT need MAINTENANCE EVERY DAY
  • leendert1980leendert1980 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    irwin109 wrote: »
    A few things I've noticed (mostly minor) and a few things that friends have had problems with:

My tribble buffs do not appear under my toon status (health and shield bar etc) not tried it on my Fed' as I have a Gambling Device on him, but don't see them on my KDF toon or my Rommie.

After reaching the satellite and turning in that mission my hail for Fed' was spot on (Franklin Drake) however when I did it with my Fed' aligned Rommie I was hailed by K'Men, when doing it with my KDF toon I was hailed by Franklin Drake.

When doing the Hassan The Undying mission on my Fed' and KDF the voice over of Tovan was still there (which made me laugh my head off when coming from my Orion Female officer.

A few backdrops on the dialog screens are wrong, one I can thing of is the Loresinger at the Klingon Academy having the same backdrop as Viala at Starfleet Academy.

A friend of mine was struck with the ban for using a certain companies name in chat, there's meant to be a warning though when I got banned due to this I did not see one, nor did he.

Another friend was having no luck getting onto his main Fed' toon but could access all other, now he can't get onto his main KDF toon either.

I think that's all I've noticed, it's a great expansion and I'm enjoying it so much and look forward to these issues being resolved, again great work guys but there's still a bit more that needs fixing!

if i tel 5 day's befor and stil afther 5 day's stil have problems what do there drink coffee and fool as around you think its no problem finn but lot off ppl dont have lot monney and i gif the ppl richt that talkinf about premium and al 15 dollers is aloud for some pll and pay it that dont have nothing als to do and lot off her are star trek fans beter stop see 20 min orte like that if you count ever day two hours look what in month is 2X31= 62 hours almost 3 day's and of the month
  • dllmmodllmmo Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can I make an suggestion?

Extended Master Key sale - This time 20-25% until June 10th.
    Or in the general Zen sale - 10-15% extra or 15-20% discount? Until June 5th.

Would be nice after such a release with all this content to unlock.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,219 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The LAG'acy of Romulus continues. Today with special Guest Star Q(ueue). :cool:
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have always wondered why sto doesnt carry seperate servers like alot of other games i have played, for instance IMVU they have a download of 12 gbs total on there shard with multiple servers and they do matienance without shutting down the shard while everyone plays a good portion of the time.

All a person has to do is restart and load the patch

I imagine this is due to the mechanics of STO, I don't know just a guess, but I'd imagine doing that with STO would cause more problems than it'd fix.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • leendert1980leendert1980 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So much anger. At times I have to remind myself that the people posting such passion are actually adults and not children. Guess that just goes to show that we all still have a little bit of the child left in us. Come on people life's to short to get so upset. Things will return to 'normal' and once again I will meet you in the game and never think that you were one of the people ranting and raving here on the forums.

"Just sitting back with my coffee and feet up waiting to play"

lol you think
  • demonicon2222demonicon2222 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Another calm, rational thinker. You guys could learn a lot from this one.

So what is the maintenance for?
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Take the UTC time and add an hour on.

OK, replied to the wrong post and I can't seem to delete it. Just figures.
  • superineptsuperinept Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My feeling, from an IT perspective, is that they are having this emergency maintenance every day because they have developed a memory leak on the server. Until you identify the source of the memory leak, all you can do is periodically restart the server.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what is the maintenance for?

Server Stability improvements from what I understand.
  • okitsunegaokitsunega Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dragon47 wrote: »
    More likely, it's due to the fact that the early morning hours of any US-based MMO are historically the lowest point of concurrency, or the time frame when the server populations are at their average lowest point.

Essentially, it's a decision between ticking off 1000 people or ticking off 10,000 people (numbers assigned arbitrarily). Either way, someone's getting mad, so you factor that out of the equation. It bites, but it is what it is.

Also, is **** hits the fan due to the patch, you'll have your full workday to fix it / rollback, without it going overtime. It's the most reasonable time to do the maintenance, overall - even if here in EU it's a bit meh.
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only thing that annoyed me was that i was just finishing the Vault mission as my Romulan character, just got to the last battle when the 5 minute warning came up. "Noooooo!" so i put my little shuttle through hell to finish the battle, warped back to Klingon space, just about to beam down and 'Disconnected from server'....so close.....so very close haha! :eek: :rolleyes:

Ya know, that means you're stuck in that little craft for the next hour plus. I noticed there doesn't seem to be a bathroom on board those things.

Just thought I'd mention it.:D
  • defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    Well they have fixed bugs. There has been several fixes to things already that was effecting players. Some of them was considered game breaking. Such as not being able to level up!!!! Pretty major bug and guess what it was fixed very quickly in 1 of the down times. How would them players effected by this bug had benefited by waiting for a week?

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Montgomery Scott (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • stepencstepenc Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zachy011 wrote: »
    I'm guessing a stability update means less crashes? It made me mad when they had to take the share down for "Emergancy Maintenence" so maybe more servers?

I couldn't agree more.
    I've started referring to the game as Star Patch online.
  • heyalawlheyalawl Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It was kind of expected. The first week after the release of Season 8 (Legacy of Romulus), just like any season before, brought us daily meowntenance and foundry downtime for two weeks to follow. However, in purrvious seasons, they infact did not do meowntenance on weekends. It would also be nice to shift around the times a bit, not always during European prime time (and yes, on weekends, everything past 4 in the afternoon is cunsidered prime time and it's again 16:00 to 18:00 for central Europe, with the usual 45 - 60 minutes of Extension, it's gunna be back at 19:00). People have to get out of bed on Munday morning, most of them before 7:00, so there is about two hours left to actually play.

So Eris my dear, they should move it to another countries primetime where they have more people on?

*waves*
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since start of this game server has been up over 95% of the time and that is inclusive planned maintenance.

Still it would be fair to not ALLWAYS do maintenance at Europe primetime at 7AM PDT. Please rotate downtimes in fairness e.g. 7AM-7PM-7AM-7PM etc.
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if i tel 5 day's befor and stil afther 5 day's stil have problems what do there drink coffee and fool as around you think its no problem finn but lot off ppl dont have lot monney and i gif the ppl richt that talkinf about premium and al 15 dollers is aloud for some pll and pay it that dont have nothing als to do and lot off her are star trek fans beter stop see 20 min orte like that if you count ever day two hours look what in month is 2X31= 62 hours almost 3 day's and of the month

I tried to understand this but I actually have no clue what you're getting at here. I'm a big Star Trek fan, I'm no lifer, I'm not a subscriber, I would but my current economic state does not allow it, I really enjoy the game, I don't play anything else any more which is why I'd consider getting lifetime/pay monthly if I had the money, they don't force anyone to pay and again I have no clue what you're getting at.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • hoovergkmmchoovergkmmc Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really have anything to add at this point.

Just waiting for the server to come back up while sipping on some coffee and watching the incessant whining.
  • cookiemnster35cookiemnster35 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    craig76 wrote: »
    i wish the whiners and cry babies would shut their mouths and give their bums a go!
    What you's dont realise, is they are working 7 days a week for ungrateful gits like you babies.
    At least the rest of us, are being patient, and know, oneday, that they will sort the issues out. So stop complaining, and give the guys credit!
    I dont blame bran flakes for locking the thread last night, you cry babies are a pack of little school girls......grow up!!!

Cryptic, keep up the awesome work you guys are doing, I am very grateful you are all trying to do your very best in fixing issues in-game :)

Well Said!!! They've made some incredible changes to the Game! And I haven't even looked at the Rommie side. They're working on fixing bugs. You know the little things you can't plan for when you revamp anything. When your at work, does you boss come ASK you if he can plan your work schedule around anything. Or how bout your government? Do they consult you before they tear up the road you have to travel on the way to work to see if its ok? No, Cryptic is doing its best to make the game something we can all enjoy and that takes MAINTENANCE, and sometimes thats unplanned. Get over it, watch a movie, or go out and get some fresh air. It will be back up soon. :::steps down off the soap box:::
  • starsvoidstarsvoid Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jc89123 wrote: »
    When will we see fixes for the following?

Uniform color not changing on the 22nd Century (C-Store) Uniform pants.
    Audio looping issues with digital surround sound enabled.
    STF loot timer bar fixed from the black bar on a black background.
    Under digital surround sound, the individual audio controls in the Options do not work other than volume.

There are quite a few more but those are the ones that are currently most annoying to me. Especially the C-Store costume as it's a premium item that has to be purchased.

Major fixes like these are done with core code updates, that happen on Tuesdays. Don't be fooled - most of these "emergency maintenance" fixes are likely to be infrastructure fixes, not actual bug-fixes.

I would not expect this Tuesday to have many updates for anything but the most game-breaking of bugs. Such as many people having DX11 problems and not able to update or login, etc. Maybe a general patch for DOFFs and BOFFs, which for the Romulans are severely screwed up atm.

Therefore, I would not expect such "minor" bugs as these to be fixed until at least the June 4th Tuesday, or maybe later.
  • okitsunegaokitsunega Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    superinept wrote: »
    My feeling, from an IT perspective, is that they are having this emergency maintenance every day because they have developed a memory leak on the server. Until you identify the source of the memory leak, all you can do is periodically restart the server.

This is my assumption too. Back .. was it yesterday..? the server was going to it's knees, server lag was falling to around 30 seconds and more even when just moving items in the inventory. I'm guessing they kept the servers running too long at that point. That would mean that it

1) makes sense to boot the servers every day even if it's just to free the memory so they'll be able to run the next day

2) makes sense to keep the reboot time consistent. If you extend it to 34 hours to swap between 7am - 7pm, chances are the servers won't manage it.

Memory leaks are real nasty, they can be incredibly difficult to track down - if that's what's causing the issues, I can only hope they nail it down sooner rather than later.
  • akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    where is the link where we can see the hour for our time zone? lazy moderator...shame of you!
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • kamblekamble Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    archer6621 wrote: »
    sand buggy or a atv for nimbus 3?

Now that sounds like a 'must have' item.. i'd even pay zen for it!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lex1conlex1con Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really have anything to add at this point.

Just waiting for the server to come back up while sipping on some coffee and watching the incessant whining.

Me to :D, its almost as good as playing the game. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beeblebrox72beeblebrox72 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ya know, that means you're stuck in that little craft for the next hour plus. I noticed there doesn't seem to be a bathroom on board those things.

Just thought I'd mention it.:D

Yeah, fortunately i just finished off some Romulan ale, empty bottles can be very helpful haha! :D
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
  • coldfusion2012coldfusion2012 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if the game is in such dire straights that you need to do this everyday i for 1 would rather you closed the server for 1 day worked out all the bugs and then brought the server back up
    then you have a server full of happy people
    IT'S WORSE THAN THAT IT'S A GAME JIM
  • captinsickocaptinsicko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just so you know tribble is still up and running
  • stulloydstulloyd Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to make a suggestion.
    Surely running a game on a server that hosts, Muiltiple games for PWE 24hrs a day without shutting them down for maintaince, barr for when there is a new patch added. Which even then would mean every game hosted on the Server would have to be patched at the same time which I can't see happening. So servers must be running 24hrs a day. Surely cannot be healthy for the servers. My god. If you leave your PC on 24hrs a day, then eventually things start going wrong. After about a week. You have to shut it off for a few hrs. Let it cool down & recoup.
    I personally think a majority of these issues that STO & other PWE games are suffering is cause they all share the same server that is running literally 24hrs a day. With massive traffic that they were possibly never meant to handle 24/7.
    Shut them down for an Hour a day. Let them cool off. Possibly get a few new servers to handle the amount of players from these multiple games running thruogh the same server. Take a littl load of the current servers. Or heres another Idea. if you want to run a game 24hrs a day. Have more than 1 server. Have a couple of Backup servers that can take over when the main server needs maintainance. It's the most logical option. No money loss, no losss of Customers then if 1 server breaks down & needs Repair. Plus u can patch like a 30min patch ever day if u do take servers off to continually sort out any game Stability issues with it. Again most sense made.
This discussion has been closed.