test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please, PLEASE let me shove Tovan Khev out of an airlock!

Comments

• Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to say, I don't mind Tovan so much. My discovery earlier, however, was irritating;

Veril, Hiven, Satra and D'Vex are un-tradable.

What the hell? So we can throw them away, but we can't trade them to players of other professions to give them better abilities for our builds - what's the point in that?

And have you seen the price of purple Boffs for the Romulans? They're extortionate, presumably because there seems to be no reliable way to get new Boffs. Why, for the sake of all that is holy, are the only Boffs in the Romulan Boff store common Boffs?

This needs to be addressed - either we need to make these Boffs tradeable or we need to have a reliable method of getting decent, tradeable boffs. Otherwise, I may as well just replace all my crew with Starfleet officers.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    stealthriderstealthrider Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    I have to say, I don't mind Tovan so much. My discovery earlier, however, was irritating;

Veril, Hiven, Satra and D'Vex are un-tradable.

What the hell? So we can throw them away, but we can't trade them to players of other professions to give them better abilities for our builds - what's the point in that?

And have you seen the price of purple Boffs for the Romulans? They're extortionate, presumably because there seems to be no reliable way to get new Boffs. Why, for the sake of all that is holy, are the only Boffs in the Romulan Boff store common Boffs?

This needs to be addressed - either we need to make these Boffs tradeable or we need to have a reliable method of getting decent, tradeable boffs. Otherwise, I may as well just replace all my crew with Starfleet officers.

It's because they're unique boffs. Cryptic is stupid that way.

Yet another reason this debacle should never have happened.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    D'Vex's name would seem to be appropriate - since the source I use for Romulan names says the D' prefix means "strong". He's strongly vexing. :)

However, I don't have some of those people on my bridge, and when I get around to thinking up a good Reman name, I won't have any of them. I'll have BOFFs that used to be them...

I don't mind Tovan in the least - we're pretty sympatico about the whole Tal Shiar thing - but it would be nice if there were an option to dismiss him, so those who are so very put out about him could change him out for some nice nondescript generic BOFF from the store.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    positive news

you CAN edit his face to remove the tattoo
    you can put him in a helmet
    and you CAN avoid him being in all missions simply commision your Reman borg Boff BEFORE you finish the tutorial
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's because they're unique boffs. Cryptic is stupid that way.

Yet another reason this debacle should never have happened.

Yes, but that said, if said boffs are non-tradeable (and therefore rather useless at endgame), why can't I get "upgraded" versions of them? I mean, save their outfit in the tailor and then buy a Purple Reman Female Engineer and just use Veril's appearance? This would be do-able if Romulan/Reman boffs of uncommon and upwards were actually easy to find. Or, could be found at all.

I like my crew. But I also want variety. I don't really want my newly-minted Reman captain to have the same crew as my Lv50 Romulan because Boffs are impossible to find.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    pwetacodeathpwetacodeath Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He's not so bad, but yea, since hes permanent, he shouldn't take a boff slot
    I am not a Mod. I am just a player. You have been informed :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    He even shows up for Feds in the Nimbus arc, at least in a speaking role.

This is ridiculous, Cryptic. Let me discharge his annoying TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The part I dislike the most about not being able to discharge these boffs is the fact we don't have extra boffs slots.

We have to buy boffs slots just to carry the boffs we DO want....

To me this makes Romulans unplayable... not everyone wants another clone...
  • Options
    mccarronxldmccarronxld Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    The part I dislike the most about not being able to discharge these boffs is the fact we don't have extra boffs slots.

We have to buy boffs slots just to carry the boffs we DO want....

To me this makes Romulans unplayable... not everyone wants another clone...

This. While I completely sympathize with the OP and agree that having these BOs forced upon us and thrust into a story that is not of our own creation is very not fun; it is the fact that these "forced BOs" take up BO slots that should be issue enough to warrant developer intervention.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."
  • Options
    exabotexabot Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like him. For me he feels more personal than the random BOFFs, and I hope Cryptic remakes the Federation tutorial in a similar fashion. But he shouldn't take up a BOFF slot indeed, and the other unique BOFFs should be tradable.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like him its a refreshing change to have a Bof that talks
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    daggermoondaggermoon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah also don't understand it. Well they could add an option to make him female.

lol my torvin is really mixed up at times. like more than once saying HIS lines in a female voice after fighting the tholians in the final part on new romulus.

lol as to making him funny looking i dressed one of mine up like this( or as close to it as i could)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya2xifdO_l0
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually like him. My fedrom is an alien, so with him at purple I already have one of my five Boffs for endgame filled. Gotta have at least one romulan operative buff, right?
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that at ties it seems like he's forcing the story and tends to butt in when his opinion isn't wanted, but then again you fly through the story so quickly that it's not really an issue for me.

However for people that do have an issue with him would it be that difficult for them to add an option to remove the voice over and having the name be replaced with a name of a player created boff?

The only thing I wish was that D'vex and the others were very rares. I still don't even know how exactly you get more very rare boffs other than the insane prices on the exchange. Once I can figure that out The Reman chick is gone and I'll upgrade the rest to very rares.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's nothing wrong with having required boffs for storyline purposes. It certainly works better than the Fed/KDF storyline, where custom boffs have generic dialogue that may well be completely out-of-character. You can always choose not to use them otherwise.

However, boff slots being limited and costing money, they should not take up valuable slots if it isn't the player's choice to have them. The required boffs should be free and the slots be reserved for boffs we recruit ourselves.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stonewbie wrote: »
    He's talking about the principle

Some people dont like that he butts his head into the storyline, is always talking and as mentioned in Stealths example how he takes up a BoFF slot.

I've been playing WoW for a few years, but i missed out on the whole Cata expansion. From what people have said, the story was more focused on an NPC that helped you kill the bosses instead of the players themselves. In previous expacs it was always like this: The players killed Ragnaros and Kel'Thuzad yay!, the players killed Illidan and Kil'jaeden yay! the players killed Kel'Thuzad (again) and the Lich King yay! But from what people had told me, in Cata it was more like: Thrall killed Deathwing and 25 people helped him...yay Thrall! Thrall was the NPC faction leader...and when the raid boss Deathwing was killed and NPC (Thrall) got more praise then the players did...and that praise came from the other NPCs! and of course people disliked that.

But why do people dislike that? when focus goes more towards an NPC then the player does it make them feel unimportant? i dunno you guys tell me. For me, the reason i hate the Tozan is because he is always the 'go to guy' in the story. They put way too much emphasis on keeping him involved in the story.

-Files need to be decrypted? Tozan has the answer

-You're trapped by yourself in an enemy stronghold and your crew is back on the ship? no problem Tozan can somehow get through to you

-You're about to engage in combat for the umpteenth time? no problem Tozan will tell you what to do

-You and your away team composed of 4 BoFF copies of Seven from Voyager are out doing an away mission and you get stuck? no problem...Tozan (while wearing an Andorian mask) knows what to do.

-You just captured a bad guy now you want to question him? ohh wait, Tovan apparently wants to question him first so he butts in, and starts doing the talking for you...

TLDR Tozan is overused
    Principle Schminciple....

You get a FREE PURPLE Boff that is one of the most awesome Boffs an RR char can possibly have and you're unhappy because the game treats him as an NPC? That makes little sense to me.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    positive news

you CAN edit his face to remove the tattoo
    you can put him in a helmet
    and you CAN avoid him being in all missions simply commision your Reman borg Boff BEFORE you finish the tutorial

You clearly haven't been playing long or haven't bothered reading this thread. Even if you don't select Tovan for away team missions he shows up anyway and/or his voice comes out of one of your other BOffs.

It's a terrible game play experience.

Again, players who like Tovan should have the OPTION to keep him and players who don't want Tovan to play a part in their story should have the OPTION to discharge Tovan immediately after the tutorial (and not have his stupid voice overs or character-specific dialogue text pop up).
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You clearly haven't been playing long or haven't bothered reading this thread. Even if you don't select Tovan for away team missions he shows up anyway and/or his voice comes out of one of your other BOffs.

It's a terrible game play experience.

Again, players who like Tovan should have the OPTION to keep him and players who don't want Tovan to play a part in their story should have the OPTION to discharge Tovan immediately after the tutorial (and not have his stupid voice overs or character-specific dialogue text pop up).
    Tovan is an NPC. It's not different than any other NPC having dialog...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I really like Tovan and I wish they'd give similarly detailed boffs for FED and KDF.

But I do think that they should let those who don't like him discharge him.

Personally I'd like them to add a choice of starting 1st officers. I'd personally prefer a female reman when I start a holodeck reman.

That and major officers (or even just the 1st officer) having selectable personality types and short backstory missions, with of course the option to leave them blank and skip backstory. That way everyone is happy and nothing is forced.

Its not going to happen, but I think it would be cool.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options
    darkzenithukdarkzenithuk Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like him, especially his moments of sarcastic wit.
    Mortem a mundo, ortum republica, imperii ruina.
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't even care about him. I just find the AAAAARRRGGGGH I HATE HIM SO MUCH WHY CAN'T I MURDER HIM YOU CAN'T HAVE A STORY WITH CHARACTERS THAT TALK! stuff to be really funny.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dave18193 wrote: »
    Personally, I really like Tovan and I wish they'd give similarly detailed boffs for FED and KDF.

But I do think that they should let those who don't like him discharge him.

Personally I'd like them to add a choice of starting 1st officers. I'd personally prefer a female reman when I start a holodeck reman.

That and major officers (or even just the 1st officer) having selectable personality types and short backstory missions, with of course the option to leave them blank and skip backstory. That way everyone is happy and nothing is forced.

Its not going to happen, but I think it would be cool.
    Maybe in the future, this was a new experiment.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Tovan is an NPC. It's not different than any other NPC having dialog...

Except I don't have to carry NPCs I hate around with me on my ship, nor hear them in every mission.

It's very different.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Not really. And why do you hate Tovan? I can understand hating Zelle, but Tovan is a nice guy.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Not really. And why do you hate Tovan? I can understand hating Zelle, but Tovan is a nice guy.

That's exactly it. He's less Romulan than any of the other New Romulans, which is saying something. Cryptic apparently forgot that Romulans are scheming, devious TRIBBLE by nature, as it's their way of handling their innately erratic emotions. Vulcans have logic, Romulans have their schemes. Tovan is more Bajoran than Romulan.

Not to mention the fact that he's the protagonist of the entire story, with my character as his wingman. He figures everythign out. It's his sister we're saving. He's the one with the relationship with Chavra. He saves our butt from Hakeev's ship. It's all Tovan, Tovan, Tovan.

And I can't get rid of him. He takes up a boff slot that I want to use for a customized member of my crew, one I can actually become attached to because I created him or her. That's what Boffs have always been in STO: extensions of my character, that I created with their own stories and their own histories. Not the same character everyone else has.

I want him off my ship permanently, and if Cryptic ever gives Feds the same treatment--or if god forbid they give Cardassians the same treatment when they eventually become playable--I'd never make a new character.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That's exactly it. He's less Romulan than any of the other New Romulans, which is saying something. Cryptic apparently forgot that Romulans are scheming, devious TRIBBLE by nature, as it's their way of handling their innately erratic emotions. Vulcans have logic, Romulans have their schemes. Tovan is more Bajoran than Romulan.

Not to mention the fact that he's the protagonist of the entire story, with my character as his wingman. He figures everythign out. It's his sister we're saving. He's the one with the relationship with Chavra. He saves our butt from Hakeev's ship. It's all Tovan, Tovan, Tovan.

And I can't get rid of him. He takes up a boff slot that I want to use for a customized member of my crew, one I can actually become attached to because I created him or her. That's what Boffs have always been in STO: extensions of my character, that I created with their own stories and their own histories. Not the same character everyone else has.

I want him off my ship permanently, and if Cryptic ever gives Feds the same treatment--or if god forbid they give Cardassians the same treatment when they eventually become playable--I'd never make a new character.
    Tovan isn't scheming or devious? lolwut?

Tovan decided to help you infiltrate the Tal'Shiar as part of an elaborate revenge plot. How is that not scheming and devious? Not to mention that scheme for hitting the Elachi where it REALLY hurts by infiltrating their base inside a subspace rift and setting it to self destruct....

In the series, Romulans are actually rather nice.... when they don't want to kill you. If Charvanek was a a doff she'd probably have Congenial/Cunning/Seductive/Unscrupulous.

The Commander from Balance of Terror remarked that if they weren't enemies, he might have been good friends with Kirk. I'd give him cunning, honorable, logical, stubborn.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure, Tovan helps you infiltrate the Tal Shiar, but he whines about it every step of the way! >_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    I hardly think being "stuck" with one Bridge Officer means that player customisation in STO is dead and buried. I don't mind him, in fact it's nice to have some sort of attachment to my officers instead of "oh, he's just a boff" and discharging him the second I see one with a better trait/ability mix. Sure I will perhaps get rid of Hiven and the others, make up a story say that after the Elatchi threat was over they moved on to other things. Tovan is your characters closest friend from Virinat, I think it's good that both you and his character develop after the events of the tutorial.

MY TOVAN IS THE REAL TOVAN, NOT YOURS!

^^^ see where that can be a problem.

It's EXTREMELY immersion breaking, when i literally see 4 Tovan Khevs on Nimbus, and the other boffs. It's like clone wars or something.

If you like Tovan fine, play with tovan.

Id like to not murder tovan, but let him go to become his own man.

Let us do that.
This discussion has been closed.