test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do you top this expansion?

2»

Comments

• szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -An indepth crafting system with specializations and salvage/disassembly system.
    -Fully customizable ship interiors with a meaningful purpose to them.
    -Being responsible for multiple ships under your command as an Admiral.
  • itsthebishopitsthebishop Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Better crafting.

More attention to end-game. End-game has been pretty weak since launch.

I don't know if I would say those things would top LOR in terms of pure Trekie fanbody goodness, but they'd probably make me more likely to stick around after I hit 45 with the Romie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Romulan Praetorian Guard
    Original join date:January 2010
  • xxxretsopmixxxretsopmi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they added Borg playable, I know about 10 people that would lifetime sub in a heartbeat.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A Dominion faction would be terrible, IF it was implemented in such a way that they had to be tied in with the Fed / KDF war. The Dominion have no horse in that race, so to speak. A True Way / Alpha Jem'Hadar "faction" might work, though.

A merc faction would also be cool.

But for me, exploration is really what would do it.
    If they added Borg playable, I know about 10 people that would lifetime sub in a heartbeat.

...LTS gives access to playable Liberated Borg.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    By having them move NW to it's own server farm so I don't have 5 minute loading screens when a new expansion launches.

Which wouldn't be a problem, if STO wasn't a loading screen fest.
  • rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guilli88 wrote: »
    You can top this expansion by :

Fixing ship class balance
    Fixing red alerts
    Overhauling useless crafting
    Fixing many longstanding bugs
    Fixing crew mechanic
    Fixing certain Boff abilities
    Fixing ship roles (it's all about dps)
    New STF's every few months instead of years
    Elite STF versions of everything
    Fixing item balance (most consoles are useless)
    Fixing shield regen to make it worthwhile

i agree with this, especially the need for new STFs regularly. i would also like to see old style STFs that combine ground and space.
  • lobstelobste Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, without throwing playable Borg and Borg ships in at some point...
    (not that I'd want that)

How could there possibly be a way to top such a long awaited, highly anticipated free expansion such as the Romulans.

What would the next ideal expansion be for you in the next few years?

Orion pirates faction.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, without throwing playable Borg and Borg ships in at some point...
    (not that I'd want that)

How could there possibly be a way to top such a long awaited, highly anticipated free expansion such as the Romulans.

What would the next ideal expansion be for you in the next few years?

You may find that the number of people that would consider Romulans a "long awaited" feature to be less than you think it is.
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I say no more factions for a long time. very long time. Just do other things like tighten up pvp, pve, open up sector space. Add more story so we can move to 2410. Increase the level cap. Do stuff like that. Later, after this story line with the iconians is done have something happen like, the KDF enters a civil war with the races that have been enslaved by them or whatever you choose to call it.
  • ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The next big thing needs to be the Gamma Quadrant as a post-level 50 content Expansion. They need to let us go through the wormhole and experience new things with our 3 Factions. New end-game FEs, new STFs, new Patrols, and a focus on Exploration - and a true enemy for us all in the Dominion.

THIS RIGHT HERE^

Unfortunately the responses I have read from Cryptic on theses suggestions has been: "Meh, you have Foundry, make it yourself."

Exploration overhaul desperately needed. Foundry missions=/=Exploration. I hope any devs potentially reading this take it to heart. There is a thread chock full o' great ideas for exploration revamp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Although I don't think my ideas are easy to implement, or even possible, I would like the following:

-Full galaxy available for exploration and sector ownership (allowing players to expand/loose their faction's influence)

-A diplomatic and economical system that would allow us to create alliances and eventually build a "self sustained" market. We would do projects, invest and develop "stuff". Help allies and trade favor for favor with long term goals in mind. This for the Federation. KDF could do it by conquest/intimidation. The Romulans one way or the other depending on alliance.

-More episode content.

-Special projects that would allow even greater ship costumization. You'd start with a few base templates and then research and develop your own ship design/project. We can customize ships by class, but this way we could use cross-class costumization and have nearly unique ships.

-Sending your owned ships on missions. Like DOff missions, but for your vessels. The outcome of the missions and hence the rewards would be in part dependent on the ship's build/characteritics.

-More level/character progression. Example: 20 levels between ranks instead of 10.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sending your owned ships on missions. Like DOff missions, but for your vessels. The outcome of the missions and hence the rewards would be in part dependent on the ship's build/characteritics.

This sounds a lot like Starship Creator's "gameplay". I support this.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited May 2013
    Wait did I miss something here? We had a launch today? :)
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How do you top this expansion?

Have the server down for 2 days instead of 1?
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have the server down for 2 days instead of 1?

The night is still young...

I'd put a healthy sum of zen on the bet that there will be more extended maintenance tomorrow.
  • row124row124 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can easily top this expansion pack in 3 ways:

1). Expand UFP sector space. We only have a few key planets. We should have a ton more! We are the UFP for crying out loud!

2). Cardassian expansion pack - the Romulans are not the only Race/Empire to rebuild after destruction. The Cardassians lost the most during the Dominion war. Let's not forget about that.

3). Expand the galactic map. Ferengi Alliance, Breen Confederacy and other powers.....etc.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A dominion expansion perhaps?

I've been grinning the whole day now that 21st is here :D
    After a looong looong time I'm really excited about StarTrek Online... what makes it better is , its fresh on the heels of the In Darkness release :D

This.

There are a WIDE variety of Dominion allied species that could be looped in. The Founders would have to be HIGHLY restricted.

They'd be too dang powerful as a playable species.

Jem'Hadar could work.

Vorta would of course be on the list.

The major issue would be the three ships already out in the universe.

The Attack ship IS the back bone of the DOminion fleet. A mass release would be chaotic.

The two carriers could in theory be pulled from the boxes and lobi store and made C-store.

Those who already have them would gain the ability to reclaim them, those who have neither now have a way to get them that wouldn't involve almost pure chance.
  • matixzonmatixzon Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would prefer the Cardies and the Dominion to be separate factions, And we know they lament having released the Galor since that will make harder to make a unique Cardassian faction.
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A good way to top this expansion? Playable Romulan Star Empire would be a good start....
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had this idea last night, so I decided to share it and see what you guys think.
    How about a "ship reputation" system? Meaning, the more you use a given ship and the more missions and content you would do with it the more points you would earn. These points could be used to develop unique (yet they can not become OP) buffs to the ship.
    I believe this could improve the "trek feel" of a ship and crew on a mission.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Get to the Iconians story. I'd like to see that play out, so any post-Romulan factions can start us on a new, post-Iconian status quo.
  • admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Borg would not top this. Or be ideal.

Cardassian faction would be my ideal "expansion" in a year or so's time.

+1.

I would have preferred the Cardassians as the focus of a playable race and expansion, but with the time they had and background STO are building it makes sense, and is a good expansion imo.

I just wonder when there will be an Undine or Dominion Reputation system.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Prediction:

The Tholians are the next playable faction. I mean, we got Romulan rep, then Romulan faction, and now we have a Tholian-related rep.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    This.

There are a WIDE variety of Dominion allied species that could be looped in. The Founders would have to be HIGHLY restricted.

They'd be too dang powerful as a playable species.

Jem'Hadar could work.

Vorta would of course be on the list.

The major issue would be the three ships already out in the universe.

The Attack ship IS the back bone of the DOminion fleet. A mass release would be chaotic.

The two carriers could in theory be pulled from the boxes and lobi store and made C-store.

Those who already have them would gain the ability to reclaim them, those who have neither now have a way to get them that wouldn't involve almost pure chance.

This goes back to why I think Cryptic had to make Romulans "the good guys" and why I think most future factions should be lumped into a single non-aligned faction with unique level 1-5 tutorials.

You can play, for example, a Vorta. But by the end of the tutorial, you're disavowed by the Dominion. You can play a Cardassian but wind up outside the Detapa Council's divided Cardassia.

Many tutorials. By level 5, you're in a bar on a Nimbus type world.

I'd probably go with Farius Prime or Dessica II.

From there, you have a common experience that uses a large pool of non-KDF/Rom/Fed ships. You choose an ally at level 10 like the Romulans.

This allows them to sculpt you, morally, into the type of character who could logically participate in STFs, FEs, and FAs. It also allows them to cut characters off from hard to manage power sources or imbalancing gameplay advantages such as the Founders or the Borg Collective.

I mean, heck, you could have one tutorial where you're a Q.

By the end, you're stripped of your powers and species faction affiliation and are in a bar on Dessica II or Farius Prime. You assemble a ragtag crew and by level 10 are commanding an independent ship.