test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan Republic Flagship

scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
I would like to broach the subject on the Romulan Republic Flagship. The Republic needs to have a ship that is on par with the Odyssey and Bortasq to represent their governments. There are many that are speculating/wanting this ship to be the Scimitar. I, however, do not think this would be such a good idea. I think the Flagship should be unique to the faction. By that, I mean Shinzon used the Scimitar to control the Romulan Fleet and planned to use it to annihilate Earth. The Romulan Star Empire employs the Scimitar as a tool of control and terrorism. Would the new Republic want a ship with that history to lead its fleet in a new era of freedom and cooperation? I think the new ship should be truly Republic. A marriage of Romulan and Reman design to signify a new beginning.

What say you fellow forum goers?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's no less feasible than Starfleet officers piloting a Dominion Dreadnought.

Besides, the D'deridexes were used for years in the Empire's conflicts with its neighbours. The Republic don't hesitate to use them.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, they'll likely just use Ha'apax.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Romulan Tal Shiar whiners inbound, all hands brace for impact, I repeat, ALL HANDS BRACE FOR IM........ *static*

Yeah, I love the idea. Especially since Cryptic will probably deliver the Scimitar with a Thalaron weapon, but it won't happen. The Scimitar has too many fans.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the Romulan Republic doesn't have the resources to be designing and constructing a new dreadnought ship class for no reason other than to have one that isn't used by others.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am not saying we should not have the Scimitar. I love the ship too. All I am saying is that the Federation and Empire has new flagships that are new unique designs. I think the Republic should have the same courtesy.
    warpangel wrote: »
    I think the Romulan Republic doesn't have the resources to be designing and constructing a new dreadnought ship class for no reason other than to have one that isn't used by others.

What of the resources they have been getting from the Federation and Empire? (Just playing devil's advocate here)
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the D'ridthau Warbird...though I guess I'm in the minority.
    The flagships on the Fed and Kling side of things are large "do everything" ships with several universal slots.
    Given the D'deridex was the Romulan "do everything" ship in the shows, I think something similar to it and the D'ridthau, just a bit larger and more advanced (maybe a bit streamlined) would be in order.
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just have a souped up D'deridex, it's such an iconic ship design...

As a side note about the Scimitar; if Cryptic is consistent with flagship choice, Scimitar IS the logical choice if it ends up being a 3 ship pack in the C-store like the Odyssey for federation and the bortas for Klingon...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    What of the resources they have been getting from the Federation and Empire? (Just playing devil's advocate here)
    Those are very recent resources. You don't design something that big and complex overnight. The game year is still supposed to be 2409 so they couldn't have been allies for more than a few months at most.
  • faloniafalonia Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Those are very recent resources. You don't design something that big and complex overnight. The game year is still supposed to be 2409 so they couldn't have been allies for more than a few months at most.

If it is going to be a real faction it should have its own flagship. Who's to say they didnt steal some Romulan Star empire design?:o
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im going to say either Obisek will get a Scimitar.. or D'tan will give up that big Romulan ship at the flotitia .
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Let me chime in here , as we know obisek and the remans have allied themselves to the romulan republic now..where is the first place you meet obisek? the vault
    Now what did the RSE do at the vault? build ships and whatever else
    Now what if obisek came across blue prints for a dreadnaught while he and the remans were at the vault.
    also the republic could easily start up the vault again to produce such a massive ship with the new found resources from the fed and klinks
    falonia wrote: »
    If it is going to be a real faction it should have its own flagship. Who's to say they didnt steal some Romulan Star empire design?:o

I was thinking maybe blueprints that obisek found while at the vault....that would be more logical and probable.
    edited May 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Im going to say either Obisek will get a Scimitar.. or D'tan will give up that big Romulan ship at the flotitia .

Im thinking D'Tan on new romulus flying his new ship a scooter named the RRS Tree Hugger :D

That would be more his style and yeah i could picture obisek in a scimitar
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    messahla wrote: »
    Let me chime in here , as we know obisek and the remans have allied themselves to the romulan republic now..where is the first place you meet obisek? the vault
    Now what did the RSE do at the vault? build ships and whatever else
    Now what if obisek came across blue prints for a dreadnaught while he and the remans were at the vault.
    also the republic could easily start up the vault again to produce such a massive ship with the new found resources from the fed and klinks

I like this idea.
    Maybe they don't only find blueprints (which still mean months to find out how to produce the suff) but perhaps a partially finished ship.
    Just the hull would give them a headstart to get it up and running.
    Of course it would still be unique or rare etc...;)
    edited May 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    misterde3 wrote: »
    I like this idea.
    Maybe they don't only find blueprints (which still mean months to find out how to produce the suff) but perhaps a partially finished ship.
    Just the hull would give them a headstart to get it up and running.
    Of course it would still be unique or rare etc...;)

i like your idea Even better i like the half done ship concept after all there is a deactivated borg sphere at the vault and we only get to go only so far into such a massive structure what other secrets lye in wait in the depths of the vault.
  • sirricwinsirricwin Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Scimitar can not be the Romulans answer to the Ody. The last thing the game needs is everyone flying those things.

As for their own flagship, I certainly see the logic behind the possible treasures to be found in the Vault. Perhaps a sleeker D'Deridex was being developed...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    sirricwin wrote: »
    The Scimitar can not be the Romulans answer to the Ody. The last thing the game needs is everyone flying those things.

As for their own flagship, I certainly see the logic behind the possible treasures to be found in the Vault. Perhaps a sleeker D'Deridex was being developed...

Thats why the concept of either finding blueprints or a half built ship at the vault is a good idea it can be a whole new design something cryptic can be creative with.

and the story of how it came to be would be easily told
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some good ideas flowing here. I just tweeted a link to JamJamz to try and see if we can get some Dev feedback on this.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You should probably start getting used to that then; the Scimitar has been stated will probably be a C-Store release at some point after launch.

And it's an extremely iconic ship, so - flagship or not - everyone and their mother will be flying one when it releases.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • skonnskonn Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The way the last thing this game needed was going F2P according to some?

The way everyone is flying Jem'Hadar Dreadnoughts now?

Total IDIC fail
  • rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Despite of the whines that would erupt across the globe, but mostly on this forum if it was my choice the scimitar would remain an NPC ship only. The same goes for the Fed ship from the Typhoon Class.

My choice for roms would be a ships with looks simular to D'deridex... I personally would not call the scimitar an iconic ship. When I think Romulans, I thinks hordes of D'deridex warbirds, not one scimitar which I personally only saw in 1 movie.

Besides if the scimitar would ever become playable I doubt the tholaron weapon wil be very powerful. It could never one-shot me... So it will be so badly nerfed before even available it would be a waste of money to even buy the damn thing.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A Romulan flagship should be a new design, just like Odyssey and that KDF monster.

It should resemble the iconic ships that came before, so should have a clear lineage relation to the D'D with swooping wings and curved lines, a beak shaped "head" and a feathered wing hull.

The main body should not be too big and swollen, Romulan ship design was heading toward slim and streamlined hulls.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If I may post a Suggestion:

http://franksavage918.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/probert_2011_march_r021.jpg

It is a design by the one and only Probert and comes from Star Trek: Ships of the Line 2011. This ship class appeared in one Star Trek novel as well as the I.R.W. Tomalak's Fist in Indistinguishable from Magic.

The Aventine and Titan came from calendar and novels as well, so it is possible if hard to get clearance from CBS.
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Maybe it was under design for months or even the better part of a year. Who knows what else they were doing during the path to 2409.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rvlion79 wrote: »
    Despite of the whines that would erupt across the globe, but mostly on this forum if it was my choice the scimitar would remain an NPC ship only. The same goes for the Fed ship from the Typhoon Class.

My choice for roms would be a ships with looks simular to D'deridex... I personally would not call the scimitar an iconic ship. When I think Romulans, I thinks hordes of D'deridex warbirds, not one scimitar which I personally only saw in 1 movie.

Besides if the scimitar would ever become playable I doubt the tholaron weapon wil be very powerful. It could never one-shot me... So it will be so badly nerfed before even available it would be a waste of money to even buy the damn thing.

That's assuming people would buy the ship purely on the fact that it had the Thalaron weapon and said weapon was hugely powerful.

In reality, people will buy it because of it's badassery factor.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • rvlion79rvlion79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    That's assuming people would buy the ship purely on the fact that it had the Thalaron weapon and said weapon was hugely powerful.

In reality, people will buy it because of it's badassery factor.
    I wouldn't wanna have to feed the people who buy the ship and are dissapointed by it for various reasons, but mostly the pre-release nerfbat of the tholaron weapon.

I do have to agree that it looks badass...
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    woerligen wrote: »
    If I may post a Suggestion:

http://franksavage918.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/probert_2011_march_r021.jpg

It is a design by the one and only Probert and comes from Star Trek: Ships of the Line 2011. This ship class appeared in one Star Trek novel as well as the I.R.W. Tomalak's Fist in Indistinguishable from Magic.

The Aventine and Titan came from calendar and novels as well, so it is possible if hard to get clearance from CBS.

That's just a DD turned sideways. Not that it looks bad, but I would prefer the Scimitar over that one. Now some of the Cryptic made LoR ships looks very good indeed, but none of them are fit to be the flagship imo.

The Scimitar is the biggest and most advanced ships the Romulans ever built AFAIK. It fits as a flagship.

The DD is iconic, but I'm not sure that ship should be a flagship.

Maybe use this instead : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Melfal.jpg :D Ok, maybe not afterall :P
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of course is has to be the Scimitar the Romulan Republic Flagship :D
    Set aside its awesome design and that is canon and most ppl wanna fly a canon ship, the new Cryptic's ships designs are not so good, really sry to say this. Apart from the valdore, the other ship models seems to be made in a hurry and without lack of inspiration. Here on forums i've seen lots of better models thrown around by players.
    Another idea would be to make a variant of Hakeev's ship as new romulan flagship. Altho it seems, at least to me, that is a copy (or inspired by) Andromeda Ascendent, but with a Narada "skin", that ship would problly be a succes.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I am not saying we should not have the Scimitar. I love the ship too. All I am saying is that the Federation and Empire has new flagships that are new unique designs. I think the Republic should have the same courtesy.

wweelll true heck even in a few of the fed missions the romulans are reverse engeneering borg tech and neros ship is a romulan mineing ship retro fitted with borg tech ssooo anything is possible.

• szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, the Ha'apax pretty much fills this role at the moment. It's D'tan's flagship in the Flotilla. (The D'deridex is already the size of a Bortas, and the Ha'apax is even larger)

As for a 'Dreadnought' counterpart to the Odyssey and Bortas, yeah, that's pretty much the Scimitar. Perhaps if the Federation get an Andorian Broadsider and the KDF get the Orion Warbarge(which I'd buy in a heartbeat, mind you) as secondary dreadnoughts, I'd be all for the Romulans getting a brand new non-Reman counterpart.