test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do you PvP?

ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Simple question.

What motivates you to PvP, in this game and/or others?

The hard part:

Remain constructive, do not make derogatory remarks about others reasons and try to keep PvE out of it.

Some ideas for deeper conversation:

Do you prefer straight up kill matches, capture the flag? Special modes?

Are you in it just for the competition?

Are you in it for ego stroking? (I'm serious)

Do you enjoy the social aspects (teaming, cooperation & coordination, competition against other live players)?
Post edited by ussultimatum on

Comments

• mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoy the competition with real people, the rush of combat, the emotions involved when fighting a close match (win or lose), the fun of flying with my friends and finally the new friends I have made while taking part. I "know" a lot of folks around here and have only run into a very few who were not friendly, helpful and good sports. This is the only MMO I have ever had the desire to pvp in and I do not see that changing. I (unfortunately) have literally become a "weekend warrior" when it comes to pvping, but I live for those moments with all you other crazy masochists. Fight well, my friends :)
  • srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its a proof to my self that I myself have reached a level of leadership/playership.

I played many games some where I was even number 1 in whole world, all in all you do it for you and your team.

I prefer
    Arenas but ill do C+H

-Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • dummynamedummyname Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've played several MMO's including WoW, SWTOR, EvE, GW2 & BP. I've never done pvp in any of them (except for EvE, you play pvp whether you like it or not). This is the first game I've ever seriously gotten into pvp and its mostly because the pve in this game is seriously lacking depth and enjoyable challenge. The fleet I joined used to pve non-stop and after years they are just tired of it....well after just a few months I too grew tired of it! So some light arm twisting was done and I began queueing up, here and there at first and then slowly it turned into an every night thing.

When I sit back and think about it, I must be in it for the ego stroking. My goal is for me and my fleet to be recognized as competent players, and to put up a good fight against the more well-known teams. I do enjoy team communication and good competition to a lesser extent, but at the end of each match I always look at the numbers and compare it to my previous performances.

I prefer arenas, cap and holds are just fun trying to tank everyone on starbase point.
    24 Hours a day, 365 days a week.
  • mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dummyname wrote: »

When I sit back and think about it, I must be in it for the ego stroking. My goal is for me and my fleet to be recognized as competent players, and to put up a good fight against the more well-known teams. I do enjoy team communication and good competition to a lesser extent, but at the end of each match I always look at the numbers and compare it to my previous performances.

I feel this way as well, I know I will never be thought of as one of the "best" but would like to have a good reputation as a solid player and my fleet as assets to a team :)
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, since you asked.

First, to set down the base of my reply, I consider PvP to be anything where one player directly faces off against another player. I'll stretch my own defination and add that it has to include actual combat so we're not talking about market wars or corp theft (yes I did play Eve Online, why do you ask?).

If I PvP, it is either a matter of necessity or a matter of social pressure, though that isn't the best word.

By necessity, it means that I have to PvP in order to do something else in game. In open world PvP, this is usually something like I need to get from here to there, and someone may try and kill me on the way. Even if I never fire a shot, I feel that if I make it I just won. And if I don't, I lost.

For social pressure, I don't mean, someone who keeps bugging me on comms saying lets go kill something. I mean more like someone comes on comms and says lets go see what we can find, we get a group, and we roam to find something to kill.

I suppose overall, I like the kind of PvP that has the most surprises in it and the most sense of discovery. I don't like the cage match mentality of shooters like Halo or CoD, or like STO. It takes away the randomness of a roam like game, and reduces the number of elements you bring to the fight. In a roam, you have far wider options as to what you are going to do, and how you can do that. In the cage match, you bascially have only two things, your fit, and how fast you are at the controls.

Or, put simply, I like strategy, not tactics.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What motivates you to PvP, in this game and/or others?

The challenge. Improving my game. Garnering a greater understanding of the game mechanics. Trying to make things work that folks say should not work. Being annoying - I tend toward "classes" in games that are other than strictly DPS: Warlock, Necromancer, ECM, various control/debuff/attrition type things. So to some extent, stress relief, eh? When I've had a bad day...well, I want to share.

I prefer matches that require additional tactics and even strategy than somewhat straight up arena-like matches. No doubt there's tactics and a strategy involved there that has to adapt, but I prefer a broader scope of things. I'm more of a RTS guy than a FPS guy.

Are you in it just for the competition?

Depends on the type of PvP. If it's casual, then it's more about the fun than being competitive. It's possible to have fun while losing, imho. On the other hand, if it's meaningful - as in something can be lost, whether territory, gear, etc, etc - then it's a different ballgame. Then it's about: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Are you in it for ego stroking? (I'm serious)

I go into fights expecting to be the worst player on the field, the first to die, and generally to lose. There's no ego there, but there's room for pleasant surprises when I'm not the worst player, not the first to die, and should we win.

I'm not going to get laid by being good at PvP (definitely not at being good at PvP in STO). It's not going to land me a job. I'm not going to bounce the grandkids on my knee and tell them about how back when I used to PvP we had to do it uphill both ways in the snow.

I do have a tendency to get into arguments with folks displaying ego. It just irks me. There's trash talking and it can be funny...but uh, there's folks out there that believe their trash talk.

Do you enjoy the social aspects (teaming, cooperation & coordination, competition against other live players)?

I used to be into far more organized PvP; but I couldn't deal with the drama. It's always been there, but as I've gotten older...I've just lost the patience for it. 15 years ago when I was still in my 20s, sure...even when I was still in my early to mid 30s, sure. Now? Yeah, no...damn kids need to get off my lawn.

Still though, PUGing is starting to get to me in STO and I'm actually thinking about trying to be more organized with the release of LoR.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Why do you PVP?"

Hmm.. Let's see..

Because killing NPCs gets dull after a while.
    Because NPCs are not as challenging.
    Because there is nothing else to do at Max level once you've gotten all the gear.
    Because some of my Friends also PVP
    Because while a Mission may be challenging the first time through, PVP is almost always challenging.
    Most important, despite all of its flaws, PVP is still fun.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question is missing a qualifier. Some games like COD are all-PVP all-the-time, where the whole idea is shoot and get shot. I suppose there are still some people who only play COD for the single-player campaign (used to be its primary focus), but multiplayer combat is the whole point of the game now.

I also play a Freelancer server where there are no non-combat zones, although there has to be a reason to attack somebody (role-play cops and robbers, etc). Dont sign up if you arent willing to PVP, because it is also all-PVP all-the-time.,

Games like this, where PVP is glued onto the side, are actually the most annoying for PVP. The majority does not want to lose, so they do not fight, and the PVP mechanisms become low-priority. In games where PVP is always ON, the mechanisms have to be balanced or people wont log in.

Objective-based, timed combat, is not really compatible with immersive role-play universes. What I mean is, if you have a universe that moves along as a collective whole, you can create places where you expect combat to occur, and create places where it should not occur, and have the combat contribute or reflect the overall arc. Old days in Ultima Online, where the universe was persistent and shared, and PVP anywhere, you took your lockpick/thief to a dungeon and emptied a chest, and it was empty for everybody until the next time it spawned. Another thief might come in behind you, and steal the loot from you. And you might kill him. The PVP was part of the story, and was not objective-based like capture-the-flag.

STO does not really have an overall arc, it has single-player campaigns that operate in different times and dimensiosns, and then you come back to the present-day universe. There isnt any real player interaction within the universe, because there is no shared, persistent universe anyway. Furthermore, the instance/zone model that STO uses precludes any kind of progression mechanism. What are you going to do with war zones, when Feds win instance #4 and KDF wins instance #3? Objective-based, timed combat, is really the only thing they can do without wholesale changes to the game, and they cant even afford to build a proper three-way PVP, so .... this is what we get.

To answer the short question, however, I dont PVP much. I dont really like item-centric combat.
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Masochism :o

there are 2 maps and two types of pvp .Even if you want to choose you cant.
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Endgame

/10 chars
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    srspells wrote: »

I prefer
    Arenas but ill do C+H

-Spells
    dummyname wrote: »
    I prefer arenas, cap and holds are just fun trying to tank everyone on starbase point.

For you guys that prefer Arenas (me too), would you mind answering why you prefer arenas vs. a mode like C&H?
  • piney89piney89 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I, for one, prefer arenas because of the constant action and fast pace they provide. On c&h there are too many downtimes between fights, it looks more like a hide and seek game or a running in circles type of game to me.
  • skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For you guys that prefer Arenas (me too), would you mind answering why you prefer arenas vs. a mode like C&H?

Because battle is more fun than flying around a map sitting at certain points for extended periods of time and twiddling your thumbs, especially when half the people on your team could care less about capturing the points, which means the games drag out 2, 3 and 4 times longer than they should.
  • otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't PVP. I'm getting old and I can't compete with all of you youngsters. I'm content to play the episodes and an occasional PVE but I will leave the PVP to the good players.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For me arenas seem more action, and less spam, the games easy enough to win but area has more skill.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • dummynamedummyname Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Cap & Hold strategy generally is do the opposite of what the other guy does. I typically spread out and try to take individual points, if the other guy is doing the same I try to get the team to wolfpack and pick them off and take points. If the other team is wolfpacking I try to get us to spread out and try to hold out as long as possible. As a wells healer and a former engi oddy healer I usually take center point and try to bait the other team to bring all their guns to bear to take center point and stave them off as long as possible.

Other than that what disappoints me about C&H is it seems like alot of people don't care about winning, they just use C&H as a kiddie pool arena. They wolfpack and don't care that they are losing points, all that matters is they are destroying the lone guys trying to hold points and seeing 45 kills at the end of a match.

Arenas offer a balanced pvp experience. And to be honest, it's the closest thing I'll ever see to an EvE Alliance Tournament. Without secondary objectives, the strategy focuses solely on how well your team is built and how well you execute your team strategy to defeat the other side. There is a whole world of building ships and layouts and skills to synergize with 4 other players and the rewards for finding a good team build are more than worth it for me. Plus, Arenas really test my ability to heal. I only get to heal once in a blue moon on C&H if a guy passing by is hurt and in range, otherwise I'm just heal-tanking.
    24 Hours a day, 365 days a week.
  • rudiefix1rudiefix1 Member Posts: 420
    edited May 2013
    For me its all about perfection, details, in builds and playstyle. Each toon with different strategy. Also experimenting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@rudiefix Feds: Rudiefix / Thron / Opa
    @rudiefix KDFs: Lill / Xifeidur / Dehr / Ugly
    @rudiefix Roms (KDF alligned): Chicita
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems the new/actual question is, what kind of objective-based, timed-combat is preferred. My favorite of those is the Sabotage style from COD, where you grab a bomb from the middle of the map, take it to the other teams base, and then defend the bomb during a countdown operation. This gameplay requires different skill sets to win consistently, specifically you need a character who can run fast and long (SMG with sprinting perks), a DPS support group who can clear a path, and base defenders who use HMGs and mines. Second favorite type was the more traditional "Capture the Flag," run to the enemy base then run back to your own, although it tended to support more solo-play since it was more opportunistic and less strategic.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    because its star trek, and space ships and an actual test of skill, unlike everything else were all you do is apply DPS, time, and hope you dont get 1 shot. the harder it is to kill, the more satisfying it is, and all the power creep keeps making it harder. i like good C&H best i think, its got a mix of arena action and 1v1 duels. hate it when they get bloated to 10v10.
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I do PvP because i like the competition against other live players and other strong fleets. I think, only fighting with them you can really improve your gameplay. Seeing different strategies and tactics and think up defenses and work arounds to "cancel" them is another point that keeps me tied to PvP.
    I do that to be recognized as a good player, as well, and to improve my fleet premade :P
    Usually i do Arena, but in these days i'm re-evaluating C&H :)
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i do come from shooters, this is my first mmo (wouldn't ever started with if it not was/felt trek to me in the first place). so i'm used to go against players in teams.
    + reached endgame and guess what: started to pvp and got beaten to hell. got some advice on the forums, adapted, tested a few things myself and finally got a lilttle clue of the game-mechanics (not a pro at all :D).
    now there's nothing in this game that attracts me more. i regularly team up with mates to have fun :).
    i just wish it would be possible to achieve everything ingame only by pvp'ing (would even be happy with some new pug-maps :D).

p.s.: it's the challenge which attracts me (beside teaming up with nice people).
    i also love c&h. guess it's the most of a battle like in the shows you can get ingame.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I PvP because I like the excitement, the rush of it all. But I don't really like something like Cap and Hold (never have liked it or Capture the flag type scenarios at all). I'm not a massive fan of the premade-v-premade thing (I'll do it, and it's nothing against anyone here of course, it's just not as a big a thing to me).

What I like the most is Ker'rat. I like the openness, the feeling of 'this could change' at any time. If you go there, you know that anything and everything can, will, and does happen. You could be a lone BoP against an instance full of Feds, or be dealing with a group of BoPs who will constantly harass everyone in a map, or something else.

And it's always changing. Within a few minutes, you could go from being a lone KDF player to suddenly having a whole team's worth of backup and shift the balance in your favor.

Or maybe it won't ever come, who knows. But that's what I love about it, the unknown, the unexpected.

I'm not a fan of really really gimmicky PvP types, can't think of an example atm though. But I do like new situations where using other, different strategies is rewarded. For example, in Ker'rat, if I see a dedicated Snooper come into the map, and I am on a Fed, I will STICK with that Snooper, regardless of what I am doing, because I know that the Snooper will find some tasty cloaked ships to kill as long as I support him.

That is what I like most in PvP.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Because CnH is disorganized and overly lengthy bull****ery.

If I get into a long match, it better be against a good team and in a structured engagement.

CnH would be more tolerable if capturing points wasn't so painfully slow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I PvP because it's mostly an enjoyable experience. It doesn't hurt that I have a good group of guys to play with either.

PvE is boring and only reserved for grinding gear or reputation for my characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aldo1rainealdo1raine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Vaping noobs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nerf Klinks, Buff Rommies
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I pvp for the fun of fightng against thinking opponents and I enjoy all aspects of it.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Completely as I predicted when I started playing, pvp is something you start doing when you are bored with everything else.

Once you reach the point there is nothing left to grind pve for you start to pvp.

And that's exactly what happened to me. I litterly have nothing in the game I want (minus the flamethrower).

That being said I wouldn't show up for pvp if it didn't pay dilithium.

I pvp both kling and fed side and I have to say for most parts it's really one-sided. I help gank playing kling and I fight 3 vs 1 as a fed.

Probably the most shocking part so far is I am in an atrox with tos phasers, a tank-controller hybrid and nearly everytime I will be numero uno on the dps chart.
    (fed side only of course)
    Which tells me if you want to win a pvp match you better play kling because honestly I have no idea what I am doing so I should be at the buttom in my mind.
    BUT, as I said since it at least pays dilithium I am okay with being people's gameplay.

Then on rare occasions you show up where it's an even match. Myself I had like 3 so far :D

Most of the times though I run into 3 people cloaked attacking my flank with x 3 alpha strike and before the first volley hits me the script calculated my shields are down.
    So when it actually hits graphically I blow up. The whole thing lasting like 5 seconds including the time it takes to run the ship explosion animation.
    Which in itself is fair, a 3 vs 1 all purple consoles vs me they should win decisively.

I see it two ways. One people with all purple consoles and items from the c-store and lockboxes vs a all white fed player who hit level 50 yesterday.
    It sort of makes me think about premade ships so you'd have the same chance.

On the other hand I get that pvp'ers, for the most parts, are people who spent a long time grinding who should be allowed to use the items they spent so much effort on, and in some cases real life money.
    It wouldn't make much sense blocking that content for them.

I don't know how to fix the gameplay or game modes within the current mindset. We've learned from pve that even the most simple objectives are completely ignored or misunderstood.
    If you start adding say escorting targets or other type of gamemodes they'd have to be insanely explained during gameplay with huge markers or arrows and font size 400 in blinking red letters with 2 or 3 exclamation marks.

Ultimately though, pvp is potentially the best gameplay there could be.
    Reason being it's far more dynamic. You have react instead of act.
    If you ever play games like swat 4 or l4d or even gta they all picked up on the idea that gameplay has to be dynamic and change based on what you do. Whereas most games to this day are exclusively based on trial and error or memory.

PVP comes closer to being dynamic but you are still playing the same map. The objective would have to change and the map itself should also be dynamic.
    One thing you could add with dynamic spawn points is space anomalies or weather effects - the game has it in small degree already. Which'd also add a more trek feel instead of just "blank space".

If you went and did that with everything, so one map you trying to protect a freighter or medical ship through say an ion storm in dark space, next one you have to beam some miners up from a debri field or w/e it'd could potentially not just the best parts about this here game but the best pvp for any mmo.
    Key being, open ended mission with additional layers of star trek in both the objectives and the environment.
    How many episodes where about some damned phenomena in space? Why not use it
    And the real beauty of it is you'd add exploration because everytime you go on a map, there are planets or moons or debris yes but it always look differently and thing always spawn in random places, you never play by memory. Just like it makes space seem more infinite.
    Add to all that, if it were me, I'd add small war like story through the text window.
    "Support troops on planet whatever in the klingon war effort" etc.

Swap the color around, swap the background around, change spawn locations and it's a new map everytime, even if you are basically just moving to a trigger point to hit "f".

Classic deathmatch is about 20 years old you know, by now there isn't any excuses to not try to think a little outside the box (pun).
  • tmichctmichc Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Being part of dummyname's fleet, I PvP because he tells me to! :P

In all seriousness though, I PvP because I find it more exciting than the endless STFs, Fleet missions, story missions, etc. as it's a dynamic team environment, which is much more fun than the same scripted encounters. Even losing at an arena is a lot more fun than grinding the same encounters for marks/dil!

I don't min/max as much as other people, but I enjoy trying new things, throwing something into the pot that'll stir things up (like my JHEC sciscort) and generally doing things that some people would not. I do fly premades (fleet) but I also enjoy PuGing it, as you never know what you're going to get, with some PuGs being really hopeless, whilst others are really good.

Having played SWTOR, WoW and EVE, I can say this is the first game I have actively come back for the PvP, despite the broken stuff and terrible graphics issues at times (looking at you Warp Plasma!), as it's so much fun (though that's mainly because of the challenge). The team thing is definitely the big draw though, as everyone has to pull their weight, and I do always feel terrible if I feel I'm not pulling my fair share of it.

Of the modes available, I have to say I spend most of my time in Arena, usually having to FvF as that's what the fleeties do and it's somewhat 'safe'. However, I do prefer FvK (on either my Feds or my KDFs), as the difference between both teams makes things more interesting and creates a much better experience. I do some C&H, as I find it a bit more relaxed, but the fact that it taking forever to capture a point is a real put off. Arenas can be very tense, which gets the adrenaline going, and shows where you may be failing.

Plus, I find the PvPers to be fairly helpful and friendly most of the time. It's very rare that I will encounter someone who doesn't tell me how he/she killed me if I ask. Plus, I do think that speccing/equipping for PvP makes most PvE almost a face roll (one hit kills notwithstanding).

Tim
  • oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm in it to crush my enemies beneath my tiny feet! To hear their cries of rage and hatred when I one shot them in the back! To bask in the QQing and giggle at the HAXOR titles I am laden with. To stand at the top of the dog pile at the end of the day and give my best evil glare at all the little people below while I shower you with my Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy plushies!!! Muahahahahah- *cough* *hack* choking*

Ahem. . . Pardon me. That wasn't normal. . . mostly. . .

I PvP for the fun of it. I love to see new builds on the other side and how mine match up to theirs.

I enjoy a good match where communication and tactics with your teammates win the day.

I personally prefer C&H over arena. It offers more variety in the tactics and team play over arena. Good teams have a split between pestering the other side with pewpew while a few others hog all the caps.

I'll admit, I do get all warm and fuzzy on the inside when I get into a match and curb stomp the competition, and cry myself to sleep when the other side does it right back. . . My ego. It is crushed. But don't worry, it is built right back up next match when I squish somebody.

But, all in all, I'm in it for the people. I like the social aspect of it. The people really make it fun. . . some of the time. There seems to be more nubs in matches that cry more than anything else lately, and don't wish to learn any of the aspects that make up good builds/teamwork. But it's all made up for when you get into a match full of friendly people. Yay for cool peeps!
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I do PvP because it's more interesting than the PvE content provided. NPCs are slow, mostly predictable, and just not that much of a challenge. The way the game makes them 'challenging' is to tack more hullpoints, shieldpoints, or firepower on them. They don't carry many abilities, and they don't always use these abilities in a way that makes tactical sense.

PvP is different, provided you're fighting people who don't have their heads up their asses mechanics-wise. It honestly doesn't take a whole lot of effort and skill to be of some use in PvP, especially the semi-organized melee that is Ker'rat. The hard part is getting good enough to be in the top 5% of all PvPers. . .that's something that takes a lot of practice, keybinding/scripting, and usually good gear.

I would PvP even more if there was a decent rewards system associated with it. Granted, a few improvements have been made, but it still falls short. We have dailies, rather than hourlies (like the STFs). On top of that, we don't have many of these dailies, and they're randomized in their availability (whoever thought of that should be thwacked brutally). So, if I were interested in only PvPing for the rewards. . .I'd only PvP 1-2 hours a day at most. Some days I wouldn't PvP at all because there's no missions for it available. This needs to be fixed, along with the whole 'adding more maps/modes', etc.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.