test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Fleetbases - Serious questions / Serious Discussion

voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I understand there is already a thread about Romulan fleets ans Romulan Fleetbases, but like many recently that thread has degraded past the point of any serious discussion.

For those of you that haven't played any of the LOR content, this may contain a spoiler or two about a specific location in the new content.

I ask that everyone keeps this thread on topic, civil, and constructive, as it is my hope that the devs will also join in on this thread.

I originally like most probably have, thought that the reason for not adding Romulan fleetbases was out of not wanting to devote development time on creating the exterior and interior assets for it. After playing the mission in the Chulan system I'm even more perplexed as to why Romulan Fleets were not added.

The Chulan Station exterior is already perfect to use as an exterior for a Romulan Fleetbase, and the interior map would simply require the additions of vendors, npc contact, etc. considering the interior mpa is already perfectly laid out.

Why there have been many that have said they wouldn't want to start a fleetbase over again from scratch, there have also been many stating they would be willing to. There has also been discussion about adding the system for fleets to form an alliance with one another, which would allow smaller fleets or in this cause a newly started Romulan fleetbase access to higher tier shipyards for example.

So with all of these assets already existing in game, there being (in my opinion) enough interest in Romulan fleetbases, and the possible addition of Fleet Alliances, what is the real reason for not adding Romulan Fleetbases.

Romulan only fleets would still have to pick an alliance with either Fed or KDF, that's unavoidable, but also very easy to integrate into the fleet system.

What if fleets were willing to pay EC to unlock a basic Romulan Fleetbase, or even somehow Dilithium, would that make a difference from a dev standpoint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by voicesdark on

Comments

• Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    we have actually started a new fleet for our Romulans and are building a new base even now (federation version because it has better looks)
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    we have actually started a new fleet for our Romulans and are building a new base even now (federation version because it has better looks)

Yeah I personally don't understand why people wouldn't want the option of a Romulan fleetbase, especially These so called mega fleets that have already maxed out on fleet members and are creating sister/splinter fleets for the overflow.

Being in a small fleet, there are a lot of lessons we've learned that would allow us to better progress smarting a new base from scratch. Really when it comes right down to it there are more reasons to add Romulan fleetbases than there are against.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the big plan is to mainly use the Embassy as our HQ
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All i no is that my fleet will be creating a Romulan Fleet. We got a Fed and Klingon fleet, so why not Romulan. And sorry if i read wrong, but for the option of having a fleetbase is out of the question, why not have a fleetbase no matter the race or faction. Bases and Embassy's are great, and its something for me to like expanding my game experience. I just cant wait for the launch of LOR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic has a new Cash cow in the Romulan content. I am sure when the milk dries up from the New content purchases, Romulan Starbases will arrive by next year.Honestly though, are you really that anxious to start a new fleet grind people? I'm not trolling, just curious as to the level of masochism people are willing to endure for a new shiney.
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Imperial Romulan Fleet was shocked to hear we were not getting our own starbases, but at the same time somewhat relieved as to not start everything over again after spending so much time working to get where we are now with a limited number of members until recently.

And while I can understand that a great many still wish to have a romulan fleet soley for new romulan themed bases, it also made since from the developers standpoint and there is the possibility down the road for fleets to maybe have projects to determine what the base looks like from the outside at least? Who knows..

This game has done an amazing amount of work with so few developers in just 3 years, the possibilities in the next 3 years are near limitless I would wager.

For those looking for an established fleet, check out our recruitment thread in the starbase one and new romulus sections of the forums.

Jolan Tru
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Alright I'm going to flip this conversation around for a minute. We've all been discussing the situation of not having fleetbases from an existing current player standpoint, but what about returning players and new players?

MMOs are known for a lot of things, but probably one of the biggest things is how the content is delivered. Now I mean this with no disrespect towards Cryptic, but once the newness of a season is over, the game gets boring as hell until more content is released. This isn't uncommon and why most people play 2 or 3 games at a time.

So you have people that are going to see this and come back to STO that might not have when fleetbases were originally released, and you're also going to have new players come to the game with LOR.

We all know there are die-hard Klingon fans, and die-hard Fed fans, and just from the forums we already know there will be die-hard Rom fans. Personally if I'm playing a Fed I want all fed ships and gear, same with playing a Romulan. Now again this is from an existing current player standpoint so how much disappointment is there going to be from returning and new players that Roms don't have their own fleetbases when Feds and KDF do. How many of those people are going to decide not to spend money until it's added, or decide not to at all after see this?

So from existing players that want Rom fleetbases, to returning and new players viewpoint, where's the benefit in NOT adding Rom fleetbases as an option?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Also what about the possibility of other ways to unlock a Romulan base?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    We all know there are die-hard Klingon fans, and die-hard Fed fans, and just from the forums we already know there will be die-hard Rom fans. Personally if I'm playing a Fed I want all fed ships and gear, same with playing a Romulan. Now again this is from an existing current player standpoint so how much disappointment is there going to be from returning and new players that Roms don't have their own fleetbases when Feds and KDF do. How many of those people are going to decide not to spend money until it's added, or decide not to at all after see this?

So from existing players that want Rom fleetbases, to returning and new players viewpoint, where's the benefit in NOT adding Rom fleetbases as an option?
    The benefit is that players don't have to grind another 6 months worth of resources to generate another Fleet Base with a Tier 5 shipyard... And if this was a non-mandatory option for Romulan Fleets, how many would be willing to do the grind, vs. becoming allied with an existing Tier 5 Shipyard Fleet...

Small Fleets have been complaining for months that they don't have the will or the means to invest for a Tier 5 Shipyard, Fabricator, and other details to populate a Fleet base with Tier 5 vendors. How would introducing another major resource sink help this situation?

Crypte/PWE will also suffer expected income loss doing this, as without the means of producing Tier 5 Fleet ships, there will be much more limited demand for the C-Store ships that provide consoles for these Fleet Ships...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The benefit is that players don't have to grind another 6 months worth of resources to generate another Fleet Base with a Tier 5 shipyard... And if this was a non-mandatory option for Romulan Fleets, how many would be willing to do the grind, vs. becoming allied with an existing Tier 5 Shipyard Fleet...

Small Fleets have been complaining for months that they don't have the will or the means to invest for a Tier 5 Shipyard, Fabricator, and other details to populate a Fleet base with Tier 5 vendors. How would introducing another major resource sink help this situation?

Crypte/PWE will also suffer expected income loss doing this, as without the means of producing Tier 5 Fleet ships, there will be much more limited demand for the C-Store ships that provide consoles for these Fleet Ships...

But they already have a usable exterior and interior map that could be used for it. Granted the interior map would need vendors,etc. plugged into it, but from the development stand point there would be very little development needed to accomplish it.

This is where my solution of a barebones fleetbase would have been perfect. Small fleets are either being very picky or completely ignoring the limited time special projects so why not do away with them for the Rom fleetbase completely. There is a lot that could be streamlined or completely removed that would make the rom fleetbase the equivalent of a fleet holding for the fleets that already have their fed/kdf bases done, but also allow for those wanting a rom fleetbase to have one. win/win for everyone as Cryptic would sill make money, and established fleets wouldn't be starting completely from scratch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »

This is where my solution of a barebones fleetbase would have been perfect. Small fleets are either being very picky or completely ignoring the limited time special projects so why not do away with them for the Rom fleetbase completely. There is a lot that could be streamlined or completely removed that would make the rom fleetbase the equivalent of a fleet holding for the fleets that already have their fed/kdf bases done, but also allow for those wanting a rom fleetbase to have one. win/win for everyone as Cryptic would sill make money, and established fleets wouldn't be starting completely from scratch.
    But even with these reductions, you're still talking about a 6 month resource grind... Unless your talking about making it so easy as to devalue the accomplishments of the Fleets that have already achieved this milestone...

(I'm a member of a Tier 5 Shipyard Fleet. And the major reason why were a Tier 5 Shipyard Fleet is because their a few fanatical resource grinders among its roster... And it was by no means easy getting there)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But even with these reductions, you're still talking about a 6 month resource grind... Unless your talking about making it so easy as to devalue the accomplishments of the Fleets that have already achieved this milestone...

(I'm a member of a Tier 5 Shipyard Fleet. And the major reason why were a Tier 5 Shipyard Fleet is because their a few fanatical resource grinders among its roster... And it was by no means easy getting there)

So why not have your fleets progress transfer over to a romulan base as well. I'm not saying the Romulan base replaces your fed/kdf one, just that you're romulan has the same stats as your main one.

The removal of the limited time projects and other overly excessive projects would only be for the brand new fleets, and established fleets would get the romulan base, without sacraficing all the hard work they've put in on their Fed/kdf one. Removing certain projects and aspects would also save development/money for Cryptic as there would be less to port over for a Romulan base.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I am a great fan of the current setup, and I think it works pretty well with the story.

This IS the way the Romulans should be introduced. It's pretty much a perfect representation of how a scattered people would work out (IMO of cause).

I can't see, considering established canon, how the Romulans can be anything else but a scattered people, and I think Cryptic (for once) managed to tell the right story the right way.

Over time, it is however also obvious to me, that Cryptic should work on a progression of that same story, and how to make the Romulan Republic go from a nation to a minor power to be respected (let's be honest... As they are shown, neither the Republic or the Tal'shiar are a major power).

At some point, Cryptic is going to have to figure out how to maintain the current story, and then later let you break free of the alliance choice and back into a fully build new romulus with its own bases, where you start out with the story and choices we already have, and then over time will allow a romulan to go back to the roots.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    anazonda wrote: »
    Personally I am a great fan of the current setup, and I think it works pretty well with the story.

This IS the way the Romulans should be introduced. It's pretty much a perfect representation of how a scattered people would work out (IMO of cause).

I can't see, considering established canon, how the Romulans can be anything else but a scattered people, and I think Cryptic (for once) managed to tell the right story the right way.

Over time, it is however also obvious to me, that Cryptic should work on a progression of that same story, and how to make the Romulan Republic go from a nation to a minor power to be respected (let's be honest... As they are shown, neither the Republic or the Tal'shiar are a major power).

At some point, Cryptic is going to have to figure out how to maintain the current story, and then later let you break free of the alliance choice and back into a fully build new romulus with its own bases, where you start out with the story and choices we already have, and then over time will allow a romulan to go back to the roots.

The only problem I see with adding Romulan bases later on is much of the same that people are complaining about now, they don't want to start a base from scratch. I'm betting LOR is going to bring a good amount of new people to the game, I don't think Cryptic would have done it if they didn't either, and certainly wouldn't be marketing it as much. There's also returning players to factor in so from a logistics point now would be the best time to add them.

I see what you're saying storyline wise, and agree, However there is a solution to this. With all the internal fighting and chaos going on right not in the RSE/RR The storyline could incorporate Rom bases as being taken over by the RR or an abandoned station being rehabilitated. It could even be a station abandoned before the supernova (Empok Nor style storyline for example).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Look at it from the standpoint of where the Romulans are right now in the storyline.

They have lost Remus and Romulus. All of their infrastructure from those planets is gone. They are now basically living in a shanty town in New Romulus which is being invaded by Tholians on a daily basis, has no major cities, has no major towns and the populace is basically wearing rags.

...and now all of a sudden the romulan's have the resources, manpower and logistics to build fleet bases when their homeplanet basically looks like an open plan warehouse...

Too soon.

As someone else earlier on said, once Cryptic has milked the cash cow of the Rolumans dry, probably by next year, then they will think of opening up a grind fest cash cow, which will no doubt be "Outpost" style starbases which will ally with either feds or klinks. As for right now...its too early.
    AhvtPz9.jpg
    • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."