test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starting Players level playing field

admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
Whatever pros and cons of each faction and the amount of available equipment there will now be scope to start the game from level 1 with all the existing factions although there are some provisos.

ALIEN GENS will be less important with the reworked trait system, being more for appearance. If cryptic wish this to be restricted then I suggest it is retained as a perk for subscribers/lifetime players as Liberated Borg Character is. Available as a C-Store option.
This change to not be retroactive so any existing Alien Gens will not be removed or blocked from any existing player who has already created one.

On a personal note I liked the idea of restricting them from Romulan players to keep it focused on the story line (love or hate it) that cryptic are developing as there own in house canon. I for one like that rather than rehash what has been done before but are bravely stepping forward on the shoulders of giants but in an imaginative way.

Federation and Klingon should work fine working from level 1 and should be more balanced in going forward.

ROMULANS I believe for any NEW player to the game do have restrictions.

REMANS for instance are restricted in a similar way as used to be for Klingon's yes you get one if you finish the Romulan Rep system first, erm no isn't that what the game moved away from with the Klingon's being locked until a federation player level 24/25? I think this is a bad move, either have them available for any established player and make them c-store or have them available from lvl 1 as a normal Romulan is. Again a in-game reward for subscribers/lifetime members.

FLEETS Romulans can't join until level 10, Klingon and Federation can join from level 1. Imagine 2 friends join 1 deciding to play Romulan, the other Fed/Klingon and the differing experience. Romulan I'm level 3 and don't know who to talk to and no one answers in zone chat...! Were can I go, who can help??? Fed/Klingon hey I joined a fleet at level 1, I'm getting lots of help and they've given me really cool stuff like weapon batteries (think back to when YOU first started) and told me were to buy em, and about the STO WIKI.

I think therefore that joining a fleet should be restricted across all factions until level 10 to enable a more balanced playing system. Also stop any new players getting invite spam from any desperate fleets, who wants to get hassle first five minutes into a game!

That aside I need to get testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whatever pros and cons of each faction and the amount of available equipment there will now be scope to start the game from level 1 with all the existing factions although there are some provisos.

ALIEN GENS will be less important with the reworked trait system, being more for appearance. If cryptic wish this to be restricted then I suggest it is retained as a perk for subscribers/lifetime players as Liberated Borg Character is. Available as a C-Store option.
    This change to not be retroactive so any existing Alien Gens will not be removed or blocked from any existing player who has already created one.

On a personal note I liked the idea of restricting them from Romulan players to keep it focused on the story line (love or hate it) that cryptic are developing as there own in house canon. I for one like that rather than rehash what has been done before but are bravely stepping forward on the shoulders of giants but in an imaginative way.

Federation and Klingon should work fine working from level 1 and should be more balanced in going forward.

ROMULANS I believe for any NEW player to the game do have restrictions.

REMANS for instance are restricted in a similar way as used to be for Klingon's yes you get one if you finish the Romulan Rep system first, erm no isn't that what the game moved away from with the Klingon's being locked until a federation player level 24/25? I think this is a bad move, either have them available for any established player and make them c-store or have them available from lvl 1 as a normal Romulan is. Again a in-game reward for subscribers/lifetime members.

FLEETS Romulans can't join until level 10, Klingon and Federation can join from level 1. Imagine 2 friends join 1 deciding to play Romulan, the other Fed/Klingon and the differing experience. Romulan I'm level 3 and don't know who to talk to and no one answers in zone chat...! Were can I go, who can help??? Fed/Klingon hey I joined a fleet at level 1, I'm getting lots of help and they've given me really cool stuff like weapon batteries (think back to when YOU first started) and told me were to buy em, and about the STO WIKI.

I think therefore that joining a fleet should be restricted across all factions until level 10 to enable a more balanced playing system. Also stop any new players getting invite spam from any desperate fleets, who wants to get hassle first five minutes into a game!

That aside I need to get testing

1. Cryptic has already made Alien-Gens open to all. That's not a box that's easily closed again, and it's not that important that it be restricted. What if a player decides to start out Romulan, but being locked to just-Romulan race, can't experience the fun of creating your own proper alien? Having a fun gameplay experience up front trumps exclusivity, and this is coming from a lifetimer. Besides, it would be boring to start a new game and see nothing but Romulans running around, no matter how involved Cryptic's new plot is.

2. Remans are locked by the Rep system, but that's only if you want it for "free". Anyone who buys a Legacy Pack now or gets on the C-store later can have them right away.

3. It doesn't make sense based on the storyline, though given what I said in #1 I'd be a hypocrite if I objected. That said 10 levels is a very short time, all things considered. Cryptic obviously wants you to be following story missions for your first 10 levels rather than faffing about all confused. If they tuned the content right, no new player will have a particular reason to join a fleet until after 10 anyway.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All Players (Updated!)
    • Alien-Gen Romulan Species: All players, from silver to gold to lifetime, will have access to this species right at the start.
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=877151
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Alien gen were supposed to be hybrid only. They would have fit the story nicely, already having different kind of hybrid in the ST universe (Sela, the klingon/romulan camp in TNG...).
    However, and I hope it's only for the beta, the alien gen in tribble for Romulan is the same than the one for fed and KDF, and you can make whatever kind of alien you want.

Considering the Romulan are xenophobic, it makes little sense. Even if the Republic is more open minded, there were almost no aliens amongst the Romulan, so it makes little sense for one of them to join the Republic.
    They hated Shinzon more than they hated the Reman, remember.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    1/ I'm also a lifer and don't give a hoot about the alien Gens thing as regards playability but charging for customization is one of the ways this game makes money. They still charge for bridge packs after all.
    As the game isn't live they could once again restrict the alien gens having changed there mind again.
    As much as this is f2p there are some aspects you pay for, uniforms etc, etc. I for one got fed up about the furor about all this following the radio interview.

2/ Klingon's used to be locked, now they aren't and f2p is the only price some players will put
    out. I just think restricting a race to having played another race (f2p have restricted slots
    remember) to be down the path of the play a Klingon after level 25.

3/ IF the game's tuned right (let me know when it is?). I just simply think that all players
    should come in at the start to have the same playing experience. Level 10 is still a slowish
    milestone for anybody new. Don't compare it to the I can make lvl 50 in 4 hrs cause been
    doing this so long....
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    joining a fleet is locked for Rom becuase you need to choose a faction, and there' no logical reasion to do that at level 1. Rom is not as straight forward as the other two.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

TY I missed that with all the various pod-casts. DEV blogs etc.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    Considering the Romulan are xenophobic, it makes little sense. Even if the Republic is more open minded, there were almost no aliens amongst the Romulan, so it makes little sense for one of them to join the Republic.
    They hated Shinzon more than they hated the Reman, remember.
    Now who says that they had to 'join'. They could just as well be a escaped slave, former slave, or the decedents of slaves...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    joining a fleet is locked for Rom becuase you need to choose a faction, and there' no logical reasion to do that at level 1. Rom is not as straight forward as the other two.

Yeah I know why there locked, just that it is NOT locked for Federation and Klingon characters, which one assumes that as can play any of the 3 from lvl 1 it'll work the same.
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1/ I'm also a lifer and don't give a hoot about the alien Gens thing as regards playability but charging for customization is one of the ways this game makes money. They still charge for bridge packs after all.
    As the game isn't live they could once again restrict the alien gens having changed there mind again.
    As much as this is f2p there are some aspects you pay for, uniforms etc, etc. I for one got fed up about the furor about all this following the radio interview.

2/ Klingon's used to be locked, now they aren't and f2p is the only price some players will put
    out. I just think restricting a race to having played another race (f2p have restricted slots
    remember) to be down the path of the play a Klingon after level 25.

3/ IF the game's tuned right (let me know when it is?). I just simply think that all players
    should come in at the start to have the same playing experience. Level 10 is still a slowish
    milestone for anybody new. Don't compare it to the I can make lvl 50 in 4 hrs cause been
    doing this so long....

The answer to number 2 is the answer to number 1. Instead of locking Alien-gens, they locked Remans.

As for number 3, it's not that different. And what I mean by tuned right, is that you're not even thinking about guilds and why you haven't been bombarded with invites until you're done tutorializing. And yeah, having a uniform playing field is preferable, but look at it this way:

- The ability for Rom players to ally with either side makes the Romulan faction unique, both mechanically and based on the story
    - Both the Fed and KDF are very different
    - A Rom player needs time to get to know each faction before committing to an alliance with either. That goes for both story and learning what the player base of both KDF and Fed are like.
    - If Roms can get invited to KDF/Fed guilds from the start, a lot of players who choose to start Rom (and aren't vets like you or me) are going to end up making uninformed decisions and may regret it later