What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to: Be Prepared for the launch of Legacy of Romulus

Comments

• Options
    tiggychantiggychan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shouldn't this question apply to the current server down issues? Seriously an issue here. Three major outages, one game-time maintenance. >.<

As for players, practice makes perfect.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,807 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The launch of Legacy of Romulus is fast approaching (
    Go Gold
    A huge perk of being a Gold Subscriber is the ability to have our own queue. We get to go to the front of the line when the queue is activated. And with all the incoming new content, there will almost certainly be a queue. While Cryptic has added to their server capacity since launch, we had queues not that long ago. Expect them for this. (Also, being a Gold Member while leveling a new character has some great benefits -- check out the F2P matrix here.)

Prepare
    /stamp_of_approval. Stickied! -Brandon

The above information is WRONG. if you are gold or LTS you DONT get on any priority list. I tested that myself a few times and it doesnt work, Just yesterday with all the TRIBBLE affecting teh servers I waited for 30 mins to get in like everyone else. Unless its broken and I reported it as well....this is sales pitch and it doesnt work so please correct that information.
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't plan to play for two weeks after LoR goes live. I still recall when the Dominion FE were released and how laggy it was on the day of release.

I will patch the game a few days after it goes live but I plan on playing once the hype settles down for my own mental health and enjoyment. The game lags too much already and the elastic banding in insane at times.

Best time for me to play is like around now, when most of the people from America etc are in bed sleeping. :P

But my mornings are shocking and it only gets worse at about midday. Which is roughly equal to evening for the U.S. So I do the Duty assignments and Lore missions in the morning and some light playing and in late afternoon is when I do my hard core playing like STF's, Nukara etc.

But with my two weeks off I will be trying out some other MMO's and try and finish some of my projects that I haven't worked on for a while as I haven't been in the mood. :D
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Be prepared by having other things to do when our servers are constantly down because we dont have a clue what we are doing!!!
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The above information is WRONG. if you are gold or LTS you DONT get on any priority list. I tested that myself a few times and it doesnt work, Just yesterday with all the TRIBBLE affecting teh servers I waited for 30 mins to get in like everyone else. Unless its broken and I reported it as well....this is sales pitch and it doesnt work so please correct that information.

Tribble queues probably don't work the same as a regular holodeck queue, seeing as most stuff is disabled on tribble. It is supposed to be a testing server after all.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Add this to the OP: Get plenty of sleep before the launch because you'll need it after the launch. Not one nor two, but 3 complete reputations to grind for your new Romulan character.

Everyone should familiarize themselves with the famed "real life" because after LoR you will have lost that opportunity. :P
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    calumwilson98calumwilson98 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After the beta shuts down will we have to restart the campaign when it goes live ?
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After the beta shuts down will we have to restart the campaign when it goes live ?

I don't think the Beta does shut down. But yes, you will have to create a new Romulan character from scratch once LoR goes Live.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    FYI - if you have the Tribble files downloaded in the 'Playtest' directory already, you WON'T need to pere-patch (you can, but it just takes up extra HD space and time); as if you have the Tribble client, Holodeck will pull and copy the file info it need directly from the Tribble directory when it patches up.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tribble queues probably don't work the same as a regular holodeck queue, seeing as most stuff is disabled on tribble. It is supposed to be a testing server after all.

The above is correct. On Tribble, there is no priority queue. It only exists on Holodeck. We are all "Silver" on Tribble.
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    edited May 2013
    wildweasal wrote: »
    I plan to get. Drunk while waiting on. The server to let me in ......

this.

watching trek on the notebook :)
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pre-patching has been enabled! :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pre-patching has been enabled! :)

yeah 5882 MB
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dem613 wrote: »
    Please explain. How exactly does someone prepatch? and What do you mean by "get your files before May 21" - how does one do this?
    Im actually pre-patching as we speak, just log into the game and log off and exit and then your launcher should start back up and automatically pre-patching early for the new expansion. without this pre-patch, on actual launch if every1 tried patching the servers would problly crash. I wouldn't doubt it if the server crashes on launch day from every STO player on and trying to log on all at the same time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The launch of Legacy of Romulus is fast approaching (May 21). Along with new UI, a new faction, and a (more) fleshed out KDF, the launch of the expansion also brings some things that players should be prepared for. Despite the testing on Tribble, nothing on Tribble can replicate the load Holodeck sees. So I offer these tips to make the process to Legacy of Romulus a less painful one.

This actually serves two purposes:
    One, the more testers, the more data. This allows the devs to find bugs and squash them.
    Two, this allows you to get the needed files to make Legacy of Romulus happen. Rather than downloading all of the files, the launcher will actually mirror those already on your computer. This makes the download time almost non-existent as the files are already on your computer. This saves a lot of time. Just be sure to log in and patch it before May 21. Even if you do not have access to the Legacy of Romulus beta, the files are still there.
    Done.
    Pre-Patch
    Once pre-patching is turned on, log all the way into STO and then log off. This will start the pre-patch process. What this does is download all of the files needed for Legacy of Romulus allowing the game to patch once it goes live without having to download many files on May 21. This isn't perfect as many files will not be completely up to date as compared to tribble. But this is still a huge time saver as the game does the download when, obviously, you are no longer wanting to play.
    Done.
    Otherwise, Be Patient
    You and everybody else is trying to get on the game at the same time. If you haven't done the previous two items, your download time on May 21 will take a while. In terms of files needed, this is almost a brand new game being installed. Even with Tribble not being slammed it still took me about an hour to patch it the other night on a ~20Mbps download. Get your files before May 21 or you may still be downloading May 22.
    Done.
    Go Gold
    A huge perk of being a Gold Subscriber is the ability to have our own queue. We get to go to the front of the line when the queue is activated. And with all the incoming new content, there will almost certainly be a queue. While Cryptic has added to their server capacity since launch, we had queues not that long ago. Expect them for this. (Also, being a Gold Member while leveling a new character has some great benefits -- check out the F2P matrix here.)
    Done.
    Prepare for Downtime
    Right now, the game is on a weekly update schedule. That will return at some point after the expansion launches, but be prepared for almost daily updates for the first couple weeks. As mentioned, nothing beats just throwing the game on Holodeck. Some bugs can only be found when the system is being played live. While Cryptic is good about giving us a few hours warning, some bugs may need no notice.

I have been through every Season upgrade. I know how the process will work and these tips have made life easier for many of us. And while the game may seem unstable the first couple days and the patching feels excessive, everything will be back to normal before you even realize it.
    Prepared to wait.
    Conclusion
    May 21 will bring a new adventure for all of us. The idea that STO would still be around in 2013 was far-fetched for some people, much less that it would be adding a third faction. These are exciting times, just keep your expectations in check concerning the update schedule and you will be fine.

post above is commadorebob's---

/stamp_of_approval. Stickied! -Brandon

I'm ready for Legacy of Romulus Launch!
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    losoballosobal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I bought the LoR basic pack, and it gave me a link to download stuff. I already run/patch the game through Steam, should I run that download-link from perfect world now, or do i even need to run it at all?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    losobal wrote: »
    So I bought the LoR basic pack, and it gave me a link to download stuff. I already run/patch the game through Steam, should I run that download-link from perfect world now, or do i even need to run it at all?

IF you already have the game, don't bother. It's just to make things easier for new players.
    edited May 2013
    Well im all set

All federation characters are level 11 or higher (to avoid doff system problems)
    All Klingon characters are level 22 or higher (same reason)
    Everyones finished all tutorial parts
    I have lists ready for the retraiting (with tick boxes so I know I have done them all)

The Romulan fleet is set up and recruiting
    We have over 400 bottles of Romulan ale for the grand opening

and I bought 48 packets of crisps

yep all set
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    gallowsbait1gallowsbait1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pre-patch. Oh... wait.... 34%... 2%.... 0%....0%....0%...0%.....1%....

Well I tried.

Enjoy LOR the 2% of the customer base that manage to patch the client by launch. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I see a lot of negativity on what is a good OP. I dont see what you were expecting when you read this post. Tribble isnt hard to join, and neither was the beta weekend that just passed. Gold members get an advantage to log in queues? Heaven forbid! Anyone would think they were actually paying for a service rather than just freeloading. Yet more F2P negativity about equality, thats original.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    zematazemata Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So my downloading of the 5.8 gb large patch have failed 3 fcking times in a row now!
    Each time, steam makes some fcking hickup, and the client crashes! Just vanish!

This bittorrent download TRIBBLE is infuriating! I have extremly ****ty connection using the download client! Always have had.. Are there a manual patch that i can download somewhwere ?
  • Options
    oowoonoowoon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My signature probably reflects how it will be at launch day.
  • Options
    rougen7rougen7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I've hit the 33% mark 5 times now and every time I attempt to continue the download it starts from scratch........

And Yesterday it took 9 hours to get to the 4GB point of the 10GB download, and now I'm starting from the beginning again...... tell me why I should bother to even try this again? Is this CRYPTIC telling me that I shouldn't even bother playing their game? I can't even play Neverwinter while it's downloading because it uses the same launcher as STO does. I guess I can be patient and download the files in June or July. :(
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, if this weekend's server performance is a preview of things to come...

Cryptic, as Illidan Stormrage would say, "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED."
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Well, if this weekend's server performance is a preview of things to come...

Cryptic, as Illidan Stormrage would say, "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED."

I was thinking more like this, 0.53 seconds in.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am fully up to date. All that is needed is for Tuesday to arrive.

For those who are having trouble, I don't know what to say. But, worst case, you will patch when LoR launches. Hopefully the ~7,000 who have read this thread will have patched ahead of time and thus reduces the time you spend patching on the 21st.
    edited May 2013
    caldannach wrote: »
    I see a lot of negativity on what is a good OP. I dont see what you were expecting when you read this post. Tribble isnt hard to join, and neither was the beta weekend that just passed.
    Yup. sometimes I think Trekkies are the most pessimistic, negative, hard to please folks which is ironic considering what Trek is all about :confused:
    caldannach wrote: »
    Gold members get an advantage to log in queues? Heaven forbid! Anyone would think they were actually paying for a service rather than just freeloading. Yet more F2P negativity about equality, thats original.
    Indeed. Gold members pay hard cash and would need something to justify the cash spent. I pay for this game cos I love Trek and I bought the Legacy pack cos I want to support the game. Is it really that complicated to understand that I want something in return as well??

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, I have been wondering.

I imagine i'm not the only one to have downloaded the pre-patch. I also patched Tribble to it's latest version.

Do I still have to download a patch on launch day? In addtion to the pre-patch and the mirrored Tribble files?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    johngazman wrote: »

I imagine i'm not the only one to have downloaded the pre-patch. I also patched Tribble to it's latest version.

Do I still have to download a patch on launch day? In addtion to the pre-patch and the mirrored Tribble files?

Probably at least some.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    johngazman wrote: »

You computer will mirror all needed files from what you already downloaded. But that doesn't mean the devs haven't slipped in a last minute fix that didn't make it into the pre-patch.

But the good news is your downloading will be limited compared to those who still haven't prepared.