test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO need a nemesis mode

jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
I think I may have posted about this before, but anyway:

Kirk have Khan. Picard have Shinzon. Sisko have Dukat. Janeway have Borg Queen.

We seriously need to have them introduce a Nemesis mode into STO, aka "design your own villian". This may actually give us something interesting to play.
Post edited by jestersage on

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Picard had Bok or Q

Kirk had old age
    GwaoHAD.png
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    *glances at my signature* Yes please.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Kirk had the Klingon Triplets, and Picard had Tomalak (mostly)

The mechanic works in Champions.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    Just had this discussion with some friends last week. I think it would be great to have this in STO. Design your own nemesis and meet them out in the game world.

The only problem is how do you keep it from becoming too generic? You can give people lots of options, but it still might become repetitive. IDK, I've never spend enough time in Champions to see it in action.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Just had this discussion with some friends last week. I think it would be great to have this in STO.

The only problem is how do you keep it from becoming too generic?

It's Star Trek, Villains are always generic.... they're always go crazy, or have an obsession in a crazy way.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm good in that department, I already have Sela. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We have that on the forums already
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We dont need to design our own nemesis, we already have. We just need our KDF characters to turn up in our fed missions and vice versa.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have been thinking something similar for a while.
    If they did a Mirror Universe mission, then why not have the costume of the villain a modified version of your own? Copy head and body diameters, add some nasty scaring and a generic Mirror uniform and away you go! :D

They could use the same mechanic for a proper time travel story, only with the future you coming to assist! :O

Then have a humourous Klingon version in which the Mirror you is a woman! :]
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Picard had Bok or Q

Kirk had old age

Picard also had Tomalak, one of my favorite nemesis. :D
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Picard had Bok or Q

Kirk had old age

Picard had Earl Grey tea

Sisko had...himself

and

Kirk had a beer belly :D
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    We have that on the forums already

hehehe Not bad.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    messahla wrote: »
    Picard had Earl Grey tea

Sisko had...himself

and

Kirk had a beer belly :D

You forgot that Janeway had coffee! :P
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    shpoks wrote: »

DOH!!!! *Facepalm* :o
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not really. The only "Villain" I would say thats close to the typical Nemesis of the Hero would be Dukat vs. Sisko. While Kahn was a cool villain he only appears in one TOS episode and centurys later one movie. Not what I would call a Nemesis.

Besides; the Nemesis system in champions is only good in its basic idea. The undead archmage/lich type Nemesis and his horde of zombie minions I created for my hero ended up in a anticlimatic fight in a high tec villain base with plans to use nukes or orbital laser strikes or something like that.

Before something like that system gets converted to STO it need some serious additions/overhaul.

- Motivation: How did the Nemesis became the Nemesis? Revenge for somebody lost because of the hero? Obsession with the hero? Let the Nemesis act accordingly.

- Villainstyle = Missionstyle: Above example with the mage and the nukes is silly. Let this stlye dabble in all stuff arcane/mysterious. In STO terms I imagine this could be a tad easier because all are in a scifi enviorment already. But even there the Nemesis missions could differ between a brute force type and a brainy type.

Without these points worked out: No thanks to STO Nemesis.
    shpoks wrote: »

As a Nemesis I would rather vote for the rebellious "Make it yourself" coffee replicator :D
  • mingtran2mingtran2 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would say they should work to improve the Nem System on CO first before they add it to STO.

Tho, would like to add Combining the Nem System with the Foundry would in theory work very well
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would love to see a system like this! If I ever get the time, I want to make some Foundry missions where my Klingon General is the nemesis of my main crew, who would be NPCs alongside the Foundry player. He is the brother of my Fed Admiral's Chief Engineer, so I could imagine a few rather tense family reunions across the Neutral Zone!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • temp3rustemp3rus Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Excellent suggestion, it's doable and could create some interesting content :)
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This sounds like the rival system in Pokemon, whereupon I usually wind up naming mine something obscene and laughing my way through the entire game.

"******* challenges you to a battle!"

"You defeated *******! Got $1500!"
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • fllyraenfllyraen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This sounds like the rival system in Pokemon, whereupon I usually wind up naming mine something obscene and laughing my way through the entire game.

"******* challenges you to a battle!"

"You defeated *******! Got $1500!"

http://www.vgcats.com/super/images/080428.gif
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd be all for having the Nemesis system in STO.

Couple of things though. Firstly, the level of harassment would need toned down a little; I once made the mistake of making my Nemesis a low priority while I got on with some other stuff, and ended up getting jumped by goons every time I turned around (they really don't like being ignored). Secondly, as noted by others, there would really need to be stories that make sense for each type of Nemesis it possible to have.

We could also do with more generic NPC ships (and some customisation of those ships), so that a Nemesis that did not belong to one of the major powers could be made appropriately distinctive.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is a must have would love to see my KDF appear against my Fed captain and have them go toe to toe ina no hold barred space fight.brains meet brawn
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    capnmanx wrote: »
    ...Secondly, as noted by others, there would really need to be stories that make sense for each type of Nemesis it possible to have.

Indeed, and sign me up for seeing mirror counterpart nemeses also. I wouldn't mind even seeing an entire feature series based around meeting and overcoming your mirror counterpart. A nemesis system would have to be much, much more story-focused than previous storyline or random-gen missions would have to be, though.

And, Kirk's nemesis was "bridge". The nemesis of Janeway and Archer both was Brannon Braga.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It works ok in Champions. Yes the stories are generic, but there is something really enjoyable about seeing YOUR nemesis show up. Yes the dialog is canned, and after a while you've seen them all.

But you get to pick their abilities and minions, and you create their look with the character creator.

The fights are fun, and the nemesis shows up in several big missions at key points.

It's personal, and it's different and I'd really love to see it here.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You can kinda sorta already do your 'nemesis' in the Foundry, but I don't think it would be a terribly satisfying experience (you already know what's going to happen).

You could commission somebody else to make a nemesis mission for you in the Foundry, but mission slots are limited and this probably wouldn't be sustainable either.

So, yeah, I think it's a great idea that's been expressed before. Keep bringing it up every so often and maybe Cryptic will eventually get around to it.

I imagine that the parameters would have to be a bit more defined for STO, though.

1. Pick your Nemesis group (one of 12, per faction).

Feds/Fed Ally: Klingon, Orion Syndicate, Nausicaan Pirate, Tal Shiar, Hirogen, Dominion, Undine, Terran Empire, True Way, Maquis, Breen, Tholian

KDF/KDF Ally: Starfleet, Rival Klingon, Gorn Separatists, Nausicaan Pirate, Tal Shiar, Hirogen, Dominion, Undine, True Way, Fek'ihri, Breen, Tholian

Left Borg off the lists because, let's face it, most of them have no personality to speak of and don't hold grudges. Some of the enemy groups would be common to both sides.

2. Design Nemesis leader, leader's ship

You'd have to choose your options based on those available for that enemy group. Some races wouldn't be customizable (Breen, Tholian). You would not be able to set the name or appearance of any NPC or ship other than that of the leader. All "minions" would conform to the normal spawns of that group.

You could share your Nemesis designs with other players, so they could have the same Nemesis.

3. Nemesis appearance would be tied to missions where that enemy group might appear. Would require rework for some encounters to make possible.

I would envision it as an optional "pop up" encounter that happens at the end of certain missions where the nemesis appears to taunt the player and gives the player a chance to leave (beam out/warp out) or fight.

4. A set of generic Nemesis missions that would be tailored to that enemy group (though most of them would probably be quite similar) and available to run at level 40-ish and above.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    if i could design my own villain? probably some sneaky two face word user thats equally as sharp as a knife in the back, more ruthless then you find romulan politics and the tal-shiar. highly devious and very cruel, trying to unravel one lie from a ball of them with the odd bit of truth caught up in that. the villain would be very attractive woman in her 20's using her charm and looks to her advantage over anyone, but her real identity is not known.

can think of it now, would be fun!
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this is actually a really good idea, and could expand the game in a number of ways.

The devs could add a "nemesis encounter" spot into future storyline content, have them randomly pop up during exploration missions, etc.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I imagine that the parameters would have to be a bit more defined for STO, though.

1. Pick your Nemesis group (one of 12, per faction)...

Throw in Section 31 / Klingon Intelligence and you have yourself a deal.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • awiggenawiggen Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We dont need to design our own nemesis, we already have. We just need our KDF characters to turn up in our fed missions and vice versa.

That would be fun having your own alts be the bad guy. the only problem would be they would come off generic sounding and not like how you would want them to act. For example my Gorn sci captain would never waste time on an evil master mind speech unless he was stalling for some reason.
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jestersage wrote: »
    I think I may have posted about this before, but anyway:

Kirk have Khan. Picard have Shinzon. Sisko have Dukat. Janeway have Borg Queen.

We seriously need to have them introduce a Nemesis mode into STO, aka "design your own villian". This may actually give us something interesting to play.

I asked this as my question in several ask cryptic Q & A's. It never got a response. CO has a nemesis system. It would be a cool addition to the game. I mean, imagine flying through sector space and being surprise attacked by the forces of your nemesis. Imagine facing off with your nemesis one on one. How would any of that be bad for STO?