test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Republic?

ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
Okay so the question I have is... how is the New Romulan Republic a Republic exactly with democratic principles? I see no where in the discussion where D'Tan has been elected, he's more of a (benevolent) dictator who has a rather largish military apparatis underneath him.

I see no mention of a Sentate, no mention of elections, nothing like that. So how exactly is D'Tan different the the Emporess, except he's more benevolent and Fatherly, while Sela is more of the harsh wicked step mother?

Just curious that's all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tatyanasergeitatyanasergei Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will answer that with a counter-question; Do Federation players ever get to see their faction's elections? What about the Klingon High Council's sessions?

Just because we don't see it doesn't mean that it isn't going on off-camera!
    Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
    Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester
    "The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Was the Roman Republic a true republic? No.

/case closed
  • Options
    raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Think of how many countries are named People's Republic of X and Democratic Republic of Y. Just because they name something "Republic" doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it's a Republic in its oldest form, only the "landholders" vote.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think its a platonic republic (you get a vote if you are a land owner , of age and male)
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    vitzhvitzh Member Posts: 519
    edited April 2013
    Maybe that is the twist? D'tan enslaves the galaxy?

It is weird but the only inner faction politics we get to actively observe in game are Klingon side. Guess that means Klingons are far more democratic than Feds or Romulans?
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    I doubt they've had time yet to establish a government, figure out how the representation works, draft a charter, hold elections, etc, what with the Empire hounding their every move.

Took the United States four years from the end of the Revolutionary war to draft its Constitution and another two years for it to go into effect. We don't really know how long D'Tan's been at this, and I get the impression that aside from the flotilla and a few other supporters scattered across the Empire, he doesn't control a whole lot of territory at the start of the plot.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Republic and democracy are different things. Both can exist in the same structure, and it became much more common in the 20th Century but neither requires the other. Particularly republic - many of the republics in the modern day are not democracies, and the vast majority of defunct republics were not democracies. Some like Rome were a democracy of oligarchs - a dictatorship in all meaningful measures with a democratic system in place between the ruling class.

Even many democratic republics don't elect their first leader, or only do so as a technicality as their founder ran unopposed.
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A republic is a specific sub-set / form of democracy in which people elect representatives who then vote or otherwise decide on issues. Note that the way in which the representatives decide can vary.

The Roman Republic WAS a true republic, since people voted representatives to the Assembly and to various offices. (But not the Senate.)

At this point, I suspect the Romulan Republic is more of an aspiration than an actuality.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    A republic is a specific sub-set / form of democracy in which people elect representatives who then vote or otherwise decide on issues. Note that the way in which the representatives decide can vary.

The Roman Republic WAS a true republic, since people voted representatives to the Assembly and to various offices. (But not the Senate.)

At this point, I suspect the Romulan Republic is more of an aspiration than an actuality.

No. Rome was not a true republic; the vast majority of people subject to Roman law could not vote for their representatives and said representatives were under no legal obligation to represent their interests.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One Warbird one Vote??
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    At this point, I expect they haven't had time to set things up yet, even by the end of the Romulan reputation story. Come on, they only just started building their capital!

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg