test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Abilities not activating....old problem still present.

satangel6667satangel6667 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited September 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Really getting tired of having to click powers 5 or 6 times to get them to work. hot-keying hasn't done me any favours too. This issue gets me killed often in pvp. I really should not have to look at my skill tray all the time to ensure my abilities are actually active when I initiate them.

Going through the forums I can see this issue has been known for a good long time. I fail to see why it cannot be fixed as it's the single biggest detriment to me personally in a dogfight. It is the only thing frustrating me in this game currently amongst the myriads of bugs.

Other than this problem I have a blast playing STO and will continue too for quite some time.

I appreciate all the work Cyptic's been doing creating new content. Let's fix some old issues first though.
Post edited by satangel6667 on

Comments

• romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I thought I was going mad.... It's not just me! Oh thank GOD... This has plagued me from day 1... Sick and tired of hammering my mouse button to activate a boff power... Please please PLEASE get this fixed...those vital few seconds are sometimes SO important!!!
  • maltinpolarmaltinpolar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Really getting tired of having to click powers 5 or 6 times to get them to work. hot-keying hasn't done me any favours too. This issue gets me killed often in pvp.

This is also a very serious issue in ground combat. Have to click several times or pound madly on the assigned key to activate vital devices or kit abilities. By the time they finally go off it's too late: you're dead.

As a work-around, I'm using a simple keybind file that's been working mighty fine for kit abilities, mostly buffs and debuffs. However, I had to leave out hypos, shield charges, power cells and all things I want to activate exactly when I need them, not when a automated keybind file says so.
  • zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
    edited April 2013
    I've had this issue from day 1 as well. I actually stopped playing STO for a while because of it. Either it's gotten somewhat better since launch or I've just become accustomed to my powers not activating.

Ground combat has recently become much worse for this, though. Clicking several times on your primary weapon and it not doing anything is frustrating beyond words.

I'm pretty sure some of the problem lies in the poor ability of the UI to process commands. For example, I've found that when trying to move items to/from my inventory I usually have to click and hold for a second before the UI 'catches' on and I actually grab the item. If that were to happen when mouse-clicking hotbar icons it would result in them not going off (and yeah, I mouse click the power tray).
    Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Really getting tired of having to click powers 5 or 6 times to get them to work. hot-keying hasn't done me any favours too. This issue gets me killed often in pvp. I really should not have to look at my skill tray all the time to ensure my abilities are actually active when I initiate them.

Going through the forums I can see this issue has been known for a good long time. I fail to see why it cannot be fixed as it's the single biggest detriment to me personally in a dogfight. It is the only thing frustrating me in this game currently amongst the myriads of bugs.

Other than this problem I have a blast playing STO and will continue too for quite some time.

I appreciate all the work Cyptic's been doing creating new content. Let's fix some old issues first though.

You seriously believe they are going to revamp the whole ability activation system to make it somewhat decent? Forget it. lol

But yes, its one of the worst ive seen in games.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You seriously believe they are going to revamp the whole ability activation system to make it somewhat decent? Forget it. lol

But yes, its one of the worst ive seen in games.

Actually, they did well sort of. If you go play on tribble you'll see that the new UI is a lot more responsive than the old one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lord7tareqlord7tareq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's an issue with many MMO's, even a triple A MMO like SWTOR has significant issues with skills not firing off but going on cooldown nonetheless. But STO takes the cake, it just happens so incredibly frequent, at least once per 6-7 abilities I try to use.:(
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Actually, they did well sort of. If you go play on tribble you'll see that the new UI is a lot more responsive than the old one.

I'd be curious to know if that has something to do with server load and their infrastructure. Tribble doesn't see the numbers Holodeck does.
  • phurrariphurrari Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am seeing this on characters I created from when STO was released and strangley enough its appears to only affect Klingon characters of mine, not Starfleet. On new characters the activations are fine.

UPDATE: I think I just fixed my problem. I had my abilities set on Autofire somehow once I noticed that and took it off I have no more issueing activating powers.
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is worse than ever! I really wish they would fix this...
  • xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Glad to see that I am not the only one with this issue. In the earlier days of sto (for me at least) every once in a while I would have to click the same skill twice to make sure it triggered. Over the years it has gotten progressively worse and now I literally have to spam a skill 5 -6 times to make sure the skill triggers. This is also to me the biggest detriment to this game. I see why on-line sources and blogs say that STO is awesome to look at an geek out on but terrible to play. It is the love of all things StarTrek that keeps me playing this at all, and nowhere near as much as I used to.
    1kltX02.jpg
  • bottleofhatebottleofhate Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    i have to agree this issue is not a good feature.... always watching the lower panel trying to make sure skills activate and not even getting to enjoy game play. i tried the hotkeys as well and it still didnt fully resolve the issue.
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's funny, I don't have this problem in STO at all, but I did have it awfully bad with SWTOR.

I wonder if it's more a function of the internetz than the game? i.e., like where you are, your IP, steps inbetween your IP and servers, etc.