test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet Theft/Sales/Security: An Equity System Proposal

Comments

• sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    boot everyone and the fleet gets knocked back to T0.

OP: Ummmm... NO. This is ridiculous! Penalize a fleet when you need to boot someone? If would be great is the only reason to boot someone is if it's to steal the fleet.

(My suggestions are general and without detailed knowledge of the fleet leadership rights mechanics.)

Here's a logical mechanism that adds oversight and prevents a single account from taking over a fleet:

1. The leaders can only demote a member/leader with a majority vote between leaders,

2. A leader can only boot a non-leader,

3. All members (including leaders) must actively login every 30 days, otherwise their rights are temporarily on hold until a majority vote between leaders is made to reactivate them.

This only works if you have 3 leaders minimum.

This is just my 2 cents.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You can't buy Fleet Marks so it doesn't entice people to spend money like they think it does.

No, but you can purchase things that make earning them easier. Most of which includes spending Zen/Dilithium, which are interchangeable for people with more money than time.

You can't sell Dilithium for ECs to buy DOFFs.

Not directly, but Dilithium is still easily converted in to ECs.
  • ballermarisballermaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I read the many posts and found them informative. As Fleet Leader of Caspian Rising, it fell to me along with Woody_Valley and BlackMagnum to bring us back.

As some said it takes five to create, but just one destroy a fleet. Here are some thoughts.
    For creation, it will take three. Those three will be the Fleet Leaders. If they were there to help create the fleet, they then utilize the Leave Fleet option and they will be gone if they want to leave.

As for the fleet if the individual recruits other individuals, they will achieve the rank of Fleet Leader automatically. If an individual is to be demoted from the rank of Fleet Leader it will take a vote of the two fleet leaders with a 20 or 24 hour cool down for it to take effect; with a temporary reduction of the Leader?s abilities to make changes. Fleet members should be notified of such an event by the fleet notification system. Another individual MUST be selected to be Fleet Leader and accept if the Fleet Leader is removed.
    There should be no penalty for removal of individuals.

Fleet Leaders should have the ability to see if an individual still has an active account by some form of icon, instead of the haphazard demotion method. (If I demoted an individual and did NOT see their name in the fleet notification that such and such person was demoted, I had to assume their account was no longer active or valid and the toon was removed.)

A notification of some sort should be sent to the owner of the account that their toon is being removed from the fleet for inactivity and their rank should be set to the lowest setting, until cool down ends. There should be some way for notification to be sent to the toon?s owner that they are being removed from the fleet. If they do not reply, or log-in, then their toon is removed at end of cool down.
    Ranking System.

Pain in the backside, Fleet Leaders need to establish a rank for Military Gamers. In Caspian Rising and Caspian Honour Guard, we have that for our military members so that they can be identified for various reasons. This will allow those who have to deploy to still have a place when they come home. (We try to maintain contact via real world email when possible using the website.)

I noted an interesting ability in Neverwinter?s Guild System when an individual logged in and that there had been no one set as a Guild Leader, it immediately flashed on the screen there was none and would you like to take it. I of course accepted. The original ranking system had been changed which resulted in everyone being ?demoted?. Accepting it put me and others back in control.

Another nagging issue for current fleets is the fact there are Fleet Leaders no longer active and the members are languishing but want to still continue with their fleets. I believe that the timer system proposed on Fleet Leaders NOT being on-line with that character in thirty days and having someone else selected by the system to take over is a good idea. Once control is established, the process of removal can begin following the process, I wrote of earlier.

These are just some of my ideas and I would be willing to test them on Tribble as Caspian Rising and Caspian Honour Guard have established test fleets there.

Ballermaris
  • number1romulannumber1romulan Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I read the many posts and found them informative. As Fleet Leader of Caspian Rising, it fell to me along with Woody_Valley and BlackMagnum to bring us back.

As some said it takes five to create, but just one destroy a fleet. Here are some thoughts.
    For creation, it will take three. Those three will be the Fleet Leaders. If they were there to help create the fleet, they then utilize the Leave Fleet option and they will be gone if they want to leave.

As for the fleet if the individual recruits other individuals, they will achieve the rank of Fleet Leader automatically. If an individual is to be demoted from the rank of Fleet Leader it will take a vote of the two fleet leaders with a 20 or 24 hour cool down for it to take effect; with a temporary reduction of the Leader?s abilities to make changes. Fleet members should be notified of such an event by the fleet notification system. Another individual MUST be selected to be Fleet Leader and accept if the Fleet Leader is removed.
    There should be no penalty for removal of individuals.

Fleet Leaders should have the ability to see if an individual still has an active account by some form of icon, instead of the haphazard demotion method. (If I demoted an individual and did NOT see their name in the fleet notification that such and such person was demoted, I had to assume their account was no longer active or valid and the toon was removed.)

A notification of some sort should be sent to the owner of the account that their toon is being removed from the fleet for inactivity and their rank should be set to the lowest setting, until cool down ends. There should be some way for notification to be sent to the toon?s owner that they are being removed from the fleet. If they do not reply, or log-in, then their toon is removed at end of cool down.
    Ranking System.

Pain in the backside, Fleet Leaders need to establish a rank for Military Gamers. In Caspian Rising and Caspian Honour Guard, we have that for our military members so that they can be identified for various reasons. This will allow those who have to deploy to still have a place when they come home. (We try to maintain contact via real world email when possible using the website.)

I noted an interesting ability in Neverwinter?s Guild System when an individual logged in and that there had been no one set as a Guild Leader, it immediately flashed on the screen there was none and would you like to take it. I of course accepted. The original ranking system had been changed which resulted in everyone being ?demoted?. Accepting it put me and others back in control.

Another nagging issue for current fleets is the fact there are Fleet Leaders no longer active and the members are languishing but want to still continue with their fleets. I believe that the timer system proposed on Fleet Leaders NOT being on-line with that character in thirty days and having someone else selected by the system to take over is a good idea. Once control is established, the process of removal can begin following the process, I wrote of earlier.

These are just some of my ideas and I would be willing to test them on Tribble as Caspian Rising and Caspian Honour Guard have established test fleets there.

Ballermaris

On the last podcast Gecko said he wants to keep it so that if the founder wants to be a jerk and wake up one day and decide to kicked everyone from the fleet and disband it - it's their right to do so. Anyone in a fleet has to be aware that this could happen at any time and consider this when contributing to the fleet. This is the way that Al wants it to remain. he said they are thinking of a system where the other leaders will be notified, but in the end after X amount of time after the notification if the Founder still wants to kick everyone then that is their right.

That is the way Al said he wants it.
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As I understand it the OPs fleet had multiple people in the rank 7 position, 1 of there accounts was TRIBBLE, and the kicked all the rest of the fleet members as well as the other rank 7 leaders. The solution to this seems simple and straight forward, don't allow 1 fleet leader to kick/demote another fleet leader. Instead make it so a majority of the players in the rank 7 position have to agree to kick/demote another rank 7. This would also solve the problem of people going nuts and trying to steal a fleet even without there account being TRIBBLE.

If a system like this was in place the worst that could have happened to the OPs fleet is all the members could have been kicked, but when the other leaders came online the could have taken care of the rogue account and tried to reassemble the fleet without the loss of there base.

This seems like a simple system that would solve allot of problems, only thing that it wouldn't help is fleets with only 1 leader, but would be a reason not to have a dictatorship.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ballermaris: I believe some of that is in STO (claiming fleets when the leader is inactive) but that we were ineligible because we had two leaders.

Had you never been promoted to leader, you could have claimed the fleet when Kyle was inactive for 30 days. Because you were already a leader when Kyle went inactive, we had no means of removing Kyle from leadership aside from you booting him as he booted you.

Thinking this through, I think the best solution would be to have several rulesets in place for fleets to choose. Choosing should require unanimous support from all leaders. It should be permanent. And it should be visible when examining a fleet.

One ruleset could make things like they currently are. Buyer beware.

One ruleset might provide that no one of equal rank may kick anyone of equal rank. In this case, you have multiple leaders and they may only leave voluntarily.

One ruleset might provide that no one may be booted unless voted upon or inactive.

One ruleset might provide that no one may be booted unless inactive, by login.

One ruleset might provide that no one may be booted unless inactive and gold members remain perpetually active.

One ruleset might provide that no one may be booted at all, ever. This is basically akin to Stahl's "public fleet" option.

This may be too many options. You get the basic idea. You get to choose between being organized as a fleet but insecure in terms of retained value of contributions on one end of the spectrum and, on the other extreme, having absolute security in terms of retained value of contributions (ie. your membership is safe) but having to deal with people who don't like eachother in some cases but can't get rid of one another. And then something ibetween.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the fleet system the way it is you lose your fleet its on you not cryptic

step 1 don't give ppl your rank

step 2 don't go to TRIBBLE site so account don't get TRIBBLE

step 3 repeat steps 1 and 2

and don't come back at me with ppl put real life money in to a fleets because as pointed out a lot you can get most if not every thing in the game for free also don't come at me well ppl put hard work in to there fleets because ppl put hard work in any guild in a mmo and they have same problem as sto

and don't give me well there needs to be more then one leader at the same rank because I know raiding guilds in wow with 400+ ppl and guess what only one can be guild master
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited April 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    I like the fleet system the way it is you lose your fleet its on you not cryptic

step 1 don't give ppl your rank

step 2 don't go to TRIBBLE site so account don't get TRIBBLE

step 3 repeat steps 1 and 2

and don't come back at me with ppl put real life money in to a fleets because as pointed out a lot you can get most if not every thing in the game for free also don't come at me well ppl put hard work in to there fleets because ppl put hard work in any guild in a mmo and they have same problem as sto

and don't give me well there needs to be more then one leader at the same rank because I know raiding guilds in wow with 400+ ppl and guess what only one can be guild master

Kyle was the ORIGINAL leader. He gave Baller his rank before going inactive.

Your solution would not apply to any of us.
    edited April 2013

But isn't there ever only 1 founder - sure you need 5 people but only 1 is the owner/founder.

As Al Rivera said he wants to keep the system so that this 1 founder/king/dictator can do anything with the fleet that they want - even if it is a "jerk" move to kick everyone and disband the fleet.

When you build a starbase in STO you have to be aware that you ARE building a king their space castle - period! That is the way the system is set up, and that is the way the dev's(at least Al) want it to stay.
    edited April 2013

so he gave his rank and some one took over?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited April 2013
    so he gave his rank and some one took over?

No. The founder promoted Baller to SHARE the leader rank. Then the founder came back (ostensibly on a TRIBBLE account) and kicked Baller and everyone else in the fleet.

Baller never gave his rank to anyone. There were always two leaders from the moment Baller began leading. One of the leaders was inactive for the entirety of the Fleet system but his account suddenly logged back in and kicked the other Rank 7 co-leader and everyone else.

Somebody really should not be able to kick someone of the same rank.
    edited April 2013
    No. The founder promoted Baller to SHARE the leader rank. Then the founder came back (ostensibly on a TRIBBLE account) and kicked Baller and everyone else in the fleet.

Baller never gave his rank to anyone. There were always two leaders from the moment Baller began leading. One of the leaders was inactive for the entirety of the Fleet system but his account suddenly logged back in and kicked the other Rank 7 co-leader and everyone else.

Somebody really should not be able to kick someone of the same rank.

and can you say with 100% certainty that person dose not go to TRIBBLE sites dose not share account info with some one? keep this in mind with replying you have to live with them and stay on top of them

and step 1 (don't share your rank)

had the person not shared there rank that fleet may would still be here

and find it kinda funny you have to reply on this person behalf and only ever see you or some one reply on this person behalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited April 2013
    You people don't get it - the founder has the ultimate control of the fleet - period - there could be 100 people at the same rank - as long as the founder is in the fleet at that rank they can kick EVERYONE - at any time they want - period.

This is what happened - this is the way the fleet system is set-up - this is the way it will remain for the forseeable future.
    edited April 2013
    and can you say with 100% certainty that person dose not go to TRIBBLE sites dose not share account info with some one? keep this in mind with replying you have to live with them and stay on top of them

and step 1 (don't share your rank)

had the person not shared there rank that fleet may would still be here

and find it kinda funny you have to reply on this person be half

I have my suspicions about whether the account was compromised at all.

But had the person not shared their rank, the fleet as it existed would not have existed at all in all likelihood.

The rank sharing was done before there was any talk of rewards attached to fleets, when they were a social club. Caspian was supposed to be purely a social club.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If someone goes inactive, it is generally unwise to leave them with dangerous keys like that, since people who disappear for extended periods of time usually come back from the other side warped and twisted, and it is best to ascertain that they are not actually their evil mirrorverse version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    I have my suspicions about whether the account was compromised at all.

But had the person not shared their rank, the fleet as it existed would not have existed at all in all likelihood.

The rank sharing was done before there was any talk of rewards attached to fleets, when they were a social club. Caspian was supposed to be purely a social club.

this is what ppl sound be asking for is all the rights of a fleet master to say rank 6 that would mean projects but not disban it we don't need this hole kick system yall are trying to come up with because this is a MMO there are all way's troll's and keep this in mind its a free mmo on top of it

I my self have 3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think its a great idea and an elegant solution. I agree it could cause problems with kicking inactive people so I would put in a clause that somebody inactive for 3 months would not result in a penalty to the star base.

Other than that I dont see a problem, its unlikely trouble makers have made huge contributions to a star base (and even if they have, its doubtful its going to be a common occurrence)

Excellent idea, I hope it gets implimented.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    I can honestly say that this is the first time I have ever gotten mad reading something on the forums. The mere fact that this has happened is a real head spinner, I mean you hear everyday about some one getting their account TRIBBLE, whether it is STO, tor, wow or whatever game you play you hear about it all the time. This is the first time I have ever heard of a whole fleet/guild being obliterated.

I would love to help you guys recover, who do I get a hold of to make arrangements?

it happened to us to bro just last week with assimilated initiative just last week t2 updrading to t3 embassy t4.5 starbase poof! all gone
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
    edited April 2013
    wildweasal wrote: »
    it happened to us to bro just last week with assimilated initiative just last week t2 updrading to t3 embassy t4.5 starbase poof! all gone

ok then we need to ask the dev to d value the starbase's and keep this in mind fleet master gone for 30 days and did not give rank to some one not 100% sure on the any rank part but the first one to come on can take say fleet over

also so if this is hacking to but don't really believe then say person is dumb for more then likely using the same password for there email and account because we do have account guard and so for its keep mine safe and my steam account safe and I have had steam for 3 years now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I dont understand why nobody has not suggested the leave only Option.

Make it so a fleet leader can not get demoted or kicked.

A fleet leader must leave of his own free will, via the leave button.

This easy change would prevent a hostile take over.

The fleet I'm in has 500 active members and only one Fleet Leader.

We did this to protect our fleet and efforts from such problems.

Also the fleet leader turned off kicks for everyone but himself, bank change permission, and fleet rename.

Any fleet that thinks it needs more than one leader is mistaken.

Any fleet that forms up under a leader who is not active everyday is mistaken.

Our fleet leader says his role is to keep the fleet safe and our rank 6 officers job is to run the fleet.

We had troubles with ranks 6 officers slotting junk projects, selling ships and etc.

They got the boot and we never worried because we had our Guardian rank 7 protecting our holdings.

I do have say these stories make my heart drop, but I have to shake my head when simple precautions are flat out ignored.
    download.jpg
    edited April 2013
    I dont understand why nobody has not suggested the leave only Option.

Make it so a fleet leader can not get demoted or kicked.

A fleet leader must leave of his own free will, via the leave button.

This easy change would prevent a hostile take over..

Bad idea, allowing a single person to have absolute control over the time/effort/resources of 500 people is tempting fate, if that fleet leader goes rogue or has their account TRIBBLE you can kiss those resources goodbye.

There needs to be a voting system where a fleet leader is kicked if 70% (or around about) wants them kicked.
    edited April 2013
    accounts only get TRIBBLE a few ways

1.poor security

2.shares account info with some one

3.TRIBBLE sites

4.buys EC from a site and maybe fleets I mean ppl now sell them in zone chat for EC and farmers not tap in to that be illogical

and there is account guard and if they can hack your email to bypass account guard again poor security

and ask for if some one leaves well there is the 30 day rule

and I don't believe ppl are getting there accounts hack I believe the leader is on a power trip got his or her base to tire what ever then said I don't need them any more and really they do have all right to do so its there fleet ya it may hurt to lose all that hard work but this is a game move on

but I will say this the hole starbase thing was and still is a bad ide

there is 1 solution for hacking and even its not 100% because of some of the above (authenticator's)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited April 2013
    accounts only get TRIBBLE a few ways

and I don't believe ppl are getting there accounts hack I believe the leader is on a power trip got his or her base to tire what ever then said I don't need them any more and really they do have all right to do so its there fleet ya it may hurt to lose all that hard work but this is a game move on

So if I am understanding you correctly, you believe its OK for a fleet leader to built a star base to their desired Tier, and then kick everybody 'because they don't need them any more' and because 'it is their right' ??

Well thank god you are not our fleet leader, you attitude highlights the very important need for a protection system to be implemented in order to kick fleet leaders who abuse their position.
    edited April 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    So if I am understanding you correctly, you believe its OK for a fleet leader to built a star base to their desired Tier, and then kick everybody 'because they don't need them any more' and because 'it is their right' ??

Well thank god you are not our fleet leader, you attitude highlights the very important need for a protection system to be implemented in order to kick fleet leaders who abuse their position.

where did I say I would do that? this is a game and some of you act as if some one took your real life home

maybe cryptic should call ADT?

to be frank I could do with out the hole starbase TRIBBLE
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited April 2013

but I will say this the hole starbase thing was and still is a bad ide

That's where you said it. If its not what you said perhaps you could write a little more clearly as it is very difficult to understand what you are saying.

For instance its 'whole' not 'hole' that's a pretty basic thing.
    edited April 2013
    That's where you said it. If its not what you said perhaps you could write a little more clearly as it is very difficult to understand what you are saying.

For instance its 'whole' not 'hole' that's a pretty basic thing.

you need to look at key word :rolleyes: (there) btw I don't care for spelling poe poes

keep this in mind multi language game oh and this not every one can spell like the nex one you may want to look up as to why :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited April 2013
    you need to look at key word :rolleyes: (there) btw I don't care for spelling poe poes

keep this in mind spelling poe poe multi language game oh and this not every one can spelling like the nex one you may want to look up as to why :)

Well that's your prerogative. Personally I refuse to interact any further with somebody who refuses to make any effort in making themselves understood.

Good day to you sir.
    edited April 2013
    Well that's your prerogative. Personally I refuse to interact any further with somebody who refuses to make any effort in making themselves understood.

Good day to you sir.

oh I think you understand well you just don't like what I have to say on the matter but yes good day to you Sir :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • kevaldtkevaldt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I understand, losing all that work can be heartbreaking but you have to take into account the fact that you are putting this on one account... Why is it that you had one all powerful account in a position like this? There are ways to limit this type of damage altogether but it seems more and more that large fleets are allowing 1 or 2 accounts superior authority in the fleet and thats whats leaving them open to this type of attack.

Especially when you consider that this this account was so easily TRIBBLE in the first place... Cryptic provides account security tools to all of their players, including account guard which in the end is a pretty secure system.

Instead of looking to others to help you or Cryptic to put a penalty driven system in place as a measure to try and curb this sort of abuse, why dont you ask the TRIBBLE player why their account was vulnerable like this? Did they have a crappy password in place? Did they turn off account guard (universally stupid, btw)?

Yes, this hacker is a douchenozzle for this type of activity, but there had to be an opening there to exploit in the first place, and a reason for the attack.
    [SIGPIC]InGame - @Darth_Tauri[/SIGPIC]
    Joined - 9/2011
    "You Best Make Peace With Your Dear & Fluffy Lord" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's not perfect, far from it, but there are a lot of things I like about it. Most fleets I've participated in rarely kick people, simply due to them being small, or old. It's not unreasonable to penalize people for booting other players. In fact, that might teach people to finally start watching who they invite, instead of inviting people willy nilly. I welcome such an opportunity with open arms.