test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lack of manners in mmos

leighandrew12leighandrew12 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
Although I've dabbled in a few mmos here and there, I have never been one to play them long term except sto and one of the only reasons I have stuck with this game for the past 3 years or so is mainly because its Star Trek. To me a mmo and other video games are recreation, a place to chill and relax and to put myself in another world for an hour or two.

Now I know games can be competitive, and I find that perfectly accepetable, but when you get some jerk that takes it a little too seriously it can really put you off. I'm talking about the one who is in an STF and gets all pissy because the team failed an optional, the one that contantly berates the other team member through team chat and then flies off to the corner of the map to report the team because he can't get his way, while leaving you and the rest of the team trying your hardest to stop those damn probes in Khitomer reaching the conduit.

I mean for god sakes it a freaking game, we were all noobs at one point. If you can't take into account that other people who play this game are all at different levels, (maybe they have a disability of whatever) you shoulden't be playing an mmo with OTHER PEOPLE. If you can't take it do a private match or not play online games at all, better still turn off your computer, calm down and get over it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exposing fakes since 2374
Post edited by leighandrew12 on

Comments

• Options
    uhyuhnbuybyiuhiuhyuhnbuybyiuhi Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've read the chat on DS9 once and they were talking about ww2...... So many walls of text there filled with racism and ignorance. I've avoided DS9 since then.
  • Options
    nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The worst experience I had was WoW. I first started the game and had someone follow me around telling me I suck. No reason or provocation. Just decided to give me a hard time. I had one guy wanting to PVP. He was level 10, I was 3 and he hounded me for like a good 20 minutes. I was like dude I just started playing for the first time. Then some werewolf chick hit on me. Actually, that wasn't so bad, but I was like, back to STO! They may be a little nutty, but overall pretty civil.
  • Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Welcome to the Internet!

Whenever you get a wide and diverse field of people together with anonymity and little trackable repercussions, It is almost guaranteed that you will run into a troll or an elitist. Simple statistics say that you can't run a game forever and NEVER run into a jerk, in the real or the digital world.

YES! this is just a game, this is voluntary, and is meant for recreational purposes. However some people come into this game and forget that and take out their nerd rage across the player base. This is a simple fact of the internet and sociology. Best thing to do about it is to follow rule 14 of the internet:

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

If someone is throwing up a *****-fest about the latest failed STF, whether or not you are still CURRENTLY in the STF, just ignore them. It's not worth your time nor wear on your keyboard to rebuke them. At most, just remind them that this is just a game... and The Borg won't take over the universe if you don't defeat them perfectly.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Quick answer? IGNORE PLAYER

If someone on the Internet is rude and out of control once, they will be again. There are no social repercussions for poor behavior in the Internet world of MMOs, forums, etc. If someone is an ill-mannered low life in real life they will be more so here and there is nothing any one of us can do to change them. The way to get them to change is ignoring them. Not every idea or opinion is valid or acceptable. By ignoring them they end up with limited play options and social interaction. They will either move on or conform.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Although I've dabbled in a few mmos here and there, I have never been one to play them long term except sto and one of the only reasons I have stuck with this game for the past 3 years or so is mainly because its Star Trek. To me a mmo and other video games are recreation, a place to chill and relax and to put myself in another world for an hour or two.

Now I know games can be competitive, and I find that perfectly accepetable, but when you get some jerk that takes it a little too seriously it can really put you off. I'm talking about the one who is in an STF and gets all pissy because the team failed an optional, the one that contantly berates the other team member through team chat and then flies off to the corner of the map to report the team because he can't get his way, while leaving you and the rest of the team trying your hardest to stop those damn probes in Khitomer reaching the conduit.

I mean for god sakes it a freaking game, we were all noobs at one point. If you can't take into account that other people who play this game are all at different levels, (maybe they have a disability of whatever) you shoulden't be playing an mmo with OTHER PEOPLE. If you can't take it do a private match or not play online games at all, better still turn off your computer, calm down and get over it.

1st: this game is not competitive at all!
    2st: if you failed the optional then your team and, i think, you too have to check your build. stfs are piece of cake like all the pve in this game and is not very pleasant to fail in it. i understand is not very nice to be in a team with players that are frustrated for losing the optional, but you can avoid that if you go with private matches! in this way you can fail with your friends/fleet.
    you can find tutorials about stfs tactics and good builds for your ship on the forum. all you have to do is to research a little and not playing this game like a single player one.
    3st: you speak about other players that they are going rampage and yet you came here on the forum to rampage about their rampage.
    nefarius2 wrote: »
    The worst experience I had was WoW. I first started the game and had someone follow me around telling me I suck. No reason or provocation. Just decided to give me a hard time. I had one guy wanting to PVP. He was level 10, I was 3 and he hounded me for like a good 20 minutes. I was like dude I just started playing for the first time. Then some werewolf chick hit on me. Actually, that wasn't so bad, but I was like, back to STO! They may be a little nutty, but overall pretty civil.

you can you can ignore people in wow right? you know you can change servers in wow right? you know that is the worst complain ever right? or you could log out a few minutes and then come back...
    ps: in my opinion that was an awesome trolling :))
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • Options
    travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    Quick answer? IGNORE PLAYER

If someone on the Internet is rude and out of control once, they will be again. There are no social repercussions for poor behavior in the Internet world of MMOs, forums, etc. If someone is an ill-mannered low life in real life they will be more so here and there is nothing any one of us can do to change them. The way to get them to change is ignoring them. Not every idea or opinion is valid or acceptable. By ignoring them they end up with limited play options and social interaction. They will either move on or conform.

One doesn't have to be a 'lowlife' to be ill-mannered. Just sayin'.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What do you expect form a game where everyone needs on anything, and where everyone thinks they're Captain Kirk.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    What do you expect form a game where everyone needs on anything, and where everyone thinks they're Captain Kirk.

Captain Kirk listened to the advice of his colleagues, though. :P
  • Options
    edited April 2013

if everyone needs on enything is not an issue. 99% from the items are going to the vendor so it is like everone whould greed on enything. we all need EC so the using the need option all the time is perfectly normal.
    and not everyone thinks they're kirk! but i whould like to see my toon doing like that crazy kirk from the video :))
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jstewart55 wrote: »
    Captain Kirk listened to the advice of his colleagues, though. :P

Which most of the time was, taking Spocks, and Mccoy advices, combining it, putting a kirk spin on it, and taking all the Credit.....because who is the best captain of all time....This guy;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Which most of the time was, taking Spocks, and Mccoy advices, combining it, putting a kirk spin on it, and taking all the Credit.....because who is the best captain of all time....This guy;)

Best captain of all time, in my opinion, is Picard. :) But I'm not here to turn this into a debate. ;)
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well... Fortunally I am not that self-centered arrogant SOB Kirk...

I'm more of the Sisko type...

But yea... there are small boys who tend think they know better... Just look at some of the people on the forums who maintain their own opinions as fact, dismissing everyone else opinions because they personally think that their idea is the best.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    akpa wrote: »
    1st: this game is not competitive at all!
    2st: if you failed the optional then your team and, i think, you too have to check your build. stfs are piece of cake like all the pve in this game and is not very pleasant to fail in it. i understand is not very nice to be in a team with players that are frustrated for losing the optional, but you can avoid that if you go with private matches! in this way you can fail with your friends/fleet.
    you can find tutorials about stfs tactics and good builds for your ship on the forum. all you have to do is to research a little and not playing this game like a single player one.
    3st: you speak about other players that they are going rampage and yet you came here on the forum to rampage about their rampage.

you can you can ignore people in wow right? you know you can change servers in wow right? you know that is the worst complain ever right? or you could log out a few minutes and then come back...
    ps: in my opinion that was an awesome trolling :))

No kidding Sherlock? I was just saying that out of the other MMO's i play this place is pretty civil.
  • Options
    vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    once in one of the first mmo games I ever played I was just wondering around and I was ready to log off, I didn't notice that someone had snuck up to attack me as I was logging off, a week later I log back on to get flamed for having made the person stand there for a whole week waiting for me to log back on so he could kill and rob my character, so I just told him to stop dating his hand and get a life, killed his character, told him he'd always be a loser then left.
    Your going to run across a lot of people in any mmo game who are basicly a bunch of 40 year olds living in their parents basement with their fake spock ears and I heart Kirk t shirts who spend their week ends inflating their girlfriends to go out to the movies. That's the sort of people who have nothing better to do in a mmo game than be a sad, pathetic little troll. Best to just ignore them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    On DOFF JOBS, i saw a conversation one time where people were talking trash about older people and how they ruined America. And then it went on to talking trash about Vietnam veterans. I have avoided DOFF JOBS ever since. I mean,really people?

I mean i know its the internet but that was kinda crazy. I agree it can get out of control at times, but i mean its a mmo so...

Im not sure if im not suppose to name a channel name or not, idk if that's against forum rule or not... or if im allowed to tell people what people have been talking about months ago.

BTW this conversation took place months ago. IDK if this goes with manners, but i thought i would just throw it out there.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    On DOFF JOBS, i saw a conversation one time where people were talking trash about older people and how they ruined America. And then it went on to talking trash about Vietnam veterans. I have avoided DOFF JOBS ever since. I mean,really people?

I mean i know its the internet but that was kinda crazy. I agree it can get out of control at times, but i mean its a mmo so...

Im not sure if im not suppose to name a channel name or not, idk if that's against forum rule or not... or if im allowed to tell people what people have been talking about months ago.

BTW this conversation took place months ago. IDK if this goes with manners, but i thought i would just throw it out there.

you don't need to read others conversations if you don't like them (there are so many options on your chat window that can avoid any issues for you). i think you are too bashful!
    those conversations don't interfere with your gameplay and i can't understand your complain.
    i understand if you are not agree with their ideas about vets but no1 asked your opinion!
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Best captain of all time is KOR
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vermatrix wrote: »
    once in one of the first mmo games I ever played I was just wondering around and I was ready to log off, I didn't notice that someone had snuck up to attack me as I was logging off, a week later I log back on to get flamed for having made the person stand there for a whole week waiting for me to log back on so he could kill and rob my character, so I just told him to stop dating his hand and get a life, killed his character, told him he'd always be a loser then left.
    Your going to run across a lot of people in any mmo game who are basicly a bunch of 40 year olds living in their parents basement with their fake spock ears and I heart Kirk t shirts who spend their week ends inflating their girlfriends to go out to the movies. That's the sort of people who have nothing better to do in a mmo game than be a sad, pathetic little troll. Best to just ignore them.

^This!

Also I am so saddened when someone thinks Picard is better than Kirk.

Did they even watch TOS? Or simply went with what their generations Star Trek was.

Old professor over action hero?
  • Options
    vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One thing I'd like to mention and I think the developers deserve thanks for is saving us from the ever annoying spam bot. The trolls can be annoying but not as annoying as logging onto a mmo game just to freeze while the chat is being constantly flooded with spam messages from bots. In the past I seen one or two spamming their go to X web site to buy zen and dilithium but not for a long time now. trolls can be annoying at times but they are just dorks that don't have a life, spam bots would be far more annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Why couldn't that player just go and rob someone else? :P
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    One thing I'd like to mention and I think the developers deserve thanks for is saving us from the ever annoying spam bot. The trolls can be annoying but not as annoying as logging onto a mmo game just to freeze while the chat is being constantly flooded with spam messages from bots. In the past I seen one or two spamming their go to X web site to buy zen and dilithium but not for a long time now. trolls can be annoying at times but they are just dorks that don't have a life, spam bots would be far more annoying.

agree with you about spamers.
    but about trolls... they do have a life (sometimes).
    a good troller should put a smile on every face and won't make you fail the stf optional, for exemple.
    unfortunately this days everybody thinks they are trolls and ruin people's gameplay.
    running around and saying anoying things is not an issue. you can avoid them with ignore and other options. but, for exemple, destroying a generator before we kill the cube in ISE is an action of 40yo man with a mind of a 12yo child.