test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things Star Trek Online does right.

Comments

• khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its a theme park with enough sandbox in it to do whatever you want except play it hardcore. And even then, you seldom end up with the guy who sunk 4000 dollars on internet starships steamrolling everyone. He could put up a good fight, but he's just one, and there's 4 other ships pwning him.

And I say that is good enough.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    A lot of good stuff already mentioned in this thread. I would stress the really generous F2P model where you can do everything without paying a single cent. Instead the devs entice you with shiny gear/ships and convenience / customization unlocks.

Unlike other MMOs and their in game currency / subscription, I always feel good when I buy ZEN in STO. I like supporting this game and I am even more excited by LoR despite its flaws. If you want to see how bad F2P can be => TOR <=
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    A lot of good stuff already mentioned in this thread. I would stress the really generous F2P model where you can do everything without paying a single cent. Instead the devs entice you with shiny gear/ships and convenience / customization unlocks.

Unlike other MMOs and their in game currency / subscription, I always feel good when I buy ZEN in STO. I like supporting this game and I am even more excited by LoR despite its flaws. If you want to see how bad F2P can be => TOR <=

I could never, ever accuse STO of being Pay2Win after seeing what EA implemented for an in-game store in TOR. Holy TRIBBLE.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Yeah the F2P model here is really great. It doesn't make me feel like I need to spend cash in order to enjoy the game, but it makes me want to spend cash due to the way they have it set up. To me that's how you make a good business model, at least as far as MMOs are concerned. I don't really need the things in the shop, but OMG I WANT lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The chat system. Global channels that are cross-server, cross-game, and I can access via a Jabber client from work? Nirvana!
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013

That two characters can have the same name.
    That's the only thing true in your list. There are many other MMOs that do all the other things you said, and do so much better than STO (except the Borg cube, 'cause you can't have a Borg cube in any other MMO.)
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013
    Paying me to work on a Star Trek game? I like that part.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »

Do you currently need anyone to make the coffee or fetch the tacos? I'll send my CV over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    well its all in the eye of the beholder.. i personally enjoy the hunt for gear.. it sets those who know what they are doing and invest the time apart from the casual person who just pays his way through..

however, for the casual player, this game is perfect.. the problem is, for most of the things you listed, it makes endgame very short lived... which is the biggest problem this game currently faces..
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Okay, I agree withn everything here is said and add my own two things. Not a hard trinity system or perhaps an almost lack of it. An easy and fast leveling phase. I have played WoW for 5 or 6 years and I had only two characters at level cap out of my 20 alts. Here I have two accounts one with 8 and one with 10 characters and they are all capped after playing just about a year.
  • qweeble#7491 qweeble Member Posts: 164 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2013

yuuuuuuup.
    I make space ships!
    Twitter! STO_JamJamz
  • drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am, according to my wife, a perfectionist (I think the word she used was anal-retentive) when it comes to rolling up new characters.

I have several for Diablo II, dozens for Baldur's Gate II, scores for Wizardry8 and hundreds (not joking) for Icewind Dale I and II (you can roll a whole team of 6 so I do!) and they are all characters I will play to death.

STO allows me to tweak my character at creation to look and be skilled how I want. I can Respec (okay, minor cost but I can grind that) if I need to, buy what ships I want and support each character with a crew of BOFFS and DOFFS I have chosen and weeded for unwanteds. HEAVEN! Because of this I just bought the Gold Edition Discs and will be subbing in May after 14 glorious months of F2P. All because of one thing... Choice.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Heh. I'd imagine. :D

I also forgot multiquoting. I know that's a forum thing, but I still really like it.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's the only thing true in your list. There are many other MMOs that do all the other things you said, and do so much better than STO (except the Borg cube, 'cause you can't have a Borg cube in any other MMO.)

Saying many games don't have those things is demonstrably a true statement, because many games don't have those things, or don't have most of them. If you disagree, name five games that have all of those things (excepting the Borg cubes) and aren't made by Cryptic. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Saying many games don't have those things is demonstrably a true statement, because many games don't have those things, or don't have most of them. If you disagree, name five games that have all of those things (excepting the Borg cubes) and aren't made by Cryptic. :)

Um.... the reason I made this thread is because I have been nothing but other games for a while now, and I really miss these things. (I said that in the OP.....)

Seriously, name five other games that do all of these things, even without the Borg Cube thing.
  • intrepidfox03intrepidfox03 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One thing that I really like is the scope of Star Trek. I'm finding how I want to word this difficult, but I know there are some that would really like to see a more uniform "2409" universe of Trek; from ships to uniforms.

For me, I like that I can choose to; cloth my character in almost any era attire I feel like at any time, I can command almost any "as seen on TV" starship of any era at any time, and with the Foundry (though I rarely use it) I'm sure people that want to RP more into certain eras can also find missions more suitable for that goal. I mean, even one of my characters has its costume slots in order of TOS to TNG movie uniforms. So, if I feel like wearing some TNG series, click, done. Maybe the mission calls for something more formal? BAM! TOS formal uniform 'equiped.'

It's nice to see this game allow players to get into the Trek they like the most or whatever one the mood might be for them at the time.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Free to play that actually is free. Yes there's great stuff to buy. But you actually can play and have fun for free. Many free to play games gimp you so badly that after a while, you just leave and never come back.
    If you want to see how bad F2P can be => TOR <=
    I could never, ever accuse STO of being Pay2Win after seeing what EA implemented for an in-game store in TOR. Holy TRIBBLE.

Quoted for truth.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That Borg Cubes explode in massive, loud, pyrotechnic, flashy, spark throwing, map shaking deaths. It really is a beautiful sight. It really is.

All the explosions in this game are staggeringly beautiful.

When my own ship blows up, I can't get mad, because it's just so darn pretty. Especially if I had time to hit Abandon Ship (shift+0 on my power tray.) I just have to sit back and admire the carnage as IKS Norgh'a'Qun turns turtle and majestically explodes.

But yes, the demise of the Borg Cubes and especially the Unimatrix ships are truly spectacular. They actually put ILM to shame.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seriously, name five other games that do all of these things, even without the Borg Cube thing.

While I agree with your OP it's not that hard to select 5 nice things from (almost) any MMO so that no other MMO has all of those. Instead I'll add to your list.

Some of the space maps are really breathtakingly beautiful.

Space combat that's fun.

Duty officers make you almost feel like a real captain.

Tailor doesn't cost real money.
  • allocaterallocater Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Servercluster

Everybody plays in the same world from USA to Europe to Asia. You don't have to worry about where your friends play, or if the server is full or empty. How this is not yet standard for any MMO, is beyond me.
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    otowi wrote: »
    I have to point out that TOR is F2P.
    I have included the below quote for you.
    Free to play that actually is free. Yes there's great stuff to buy. But you actually can play and have fun for free. Many free to play games gimp you so badly that after a while, you just leave and never come back.
    dogmaticus wrote: »
    There's just so many amazing things. The way this game has gone from the beginning till now is absolutely stunning - I could spend entire day listing all the awesome things :).
    ^Bottom line!

Okay, technically this line is below it lol ;)
    I literally agree with every positive aspect of the game listed on this thread!! I would love to see more of these good-vibe'n anti-troll'n feel good threads! Pessimistic complainers? Hit the road!! No one wants to hear your two energy credits! ;) :cool:
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    apulse wrote: »
    Hear hear,
    Only real limitation STO makes is the ships that is classbased. Sure you can still use it but it will not be as good for you as your class ship but you still have the option to do it.

This really isn't the case. While you might be able to specialize a bit more in the "matching" ship to your class, you end up far more well rounded playing "off match."
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
    edited April 2013
    otowi wrote: »
    I have to point out that TOR is F2P. You can play either F2P or pay a sub. Subscription does have benefits that F2P does not have. In other words, TOR is a hybrid game.

Since imadoctornota started... :o

STO does have benefits for subscribers, even if they are smaller - but the point of the post you quoted was that TOR's F2P model is such that it's hardly free, unless you want to be extremely limited. So limited, in fact, that I've stopped playing it since LoR arrived to Tribble, and am now once again actively playing STO. Even if it -is- mostly dilithium grinding to convert to Zen... :rolleyes:

In fact, I had to leave and return several times to level one of my characters to 50, having started shortly after Q's Winter Wonderland returned - with my others being at roughly 38, 34, and 21. And as it is right now, the only thing that can possibly bring me back is my getting back into the RP guild I found, which is unlikely, so I'm going to be here for a while. :cool:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Since imadoctornota started... :o

STO does have benefits for subscribers, even if they are smaller - but the point of the post you quoted was that TOR's F2P model is such that it's hardly free, unless you want to be extremely limited. So limited, in fact, that I've stopped playing it since LoR arrived to Tribble, and am now once again actively playing STO. Even if it -is- mostly dilithium grinding to convert to Zen... :rolleyes:

In fact, I had to leave and return several times to level one of my characters to 50, having started shortly after Q's Winter Wonderland returned - with my others being at roughly 38, 34, and 21. And as it is right now, the only thing that can possibly bring me back is my getting back into the RP guild I found, which is unlikely, so I'm going to be here for a while. :cool:

Exactly ... People forget to read the fine print. Here is a few of their many restrictions:

1. Pay for medical probes ... In essence pay to respawn where you died
    2. Pay to equip purple gear
    3. Reduced xp
    4. Limited access to fp and pvp warzones every week unless you pay
    5. No access to raids
    6. Restricted loot ... You don't get all the drops subscribers get
    7. Crafting is restricted

I could go on and on. I just wanted remind people how generous STO model is. I also 2nd the other post that mentioned Foundry. If all else died you could theoretically go on just playing fan content.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited April 2013
    Exactly ... People forget to read the fine print. Here is a few of their many restrictions:

3. Reduced xp
    5. No access to raids

I could go on and on. I just wanted remind people how generous STO model is. I also 2nd the other post that mentioned Foundry. If all else died you could theoretically go on just playing fan content.

All that, and then they add the expansion, which makes things even worse for me because I can't spend a dime on TOR (though I have spent some 25$ on STO so far). In retrospect, I think I'm glad I failed to give them 10$. TOR might do better when it comes to story and all that, but it has so many disadvantages compared to STO, especially when you're an F2Per...

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Here here! A thread such as this is loong overdue.

Some of the Foundry Missions are breathtaking. Some of them are rib hurtingly hilarious. And these were made by people whose love and appreciation for Star Trek matches or exceeds my own. I finnaly get to hang with the Cool Kids! The same can be said for some of the storylines created by the Dev Team.

It is easy to find fault with STO. Looking around these forums, many people seem to be using their entire lives to do so. How sad I feel for them sometimes. They are playing on Bajor or Mol'Rihan and all they can see is the one thing which is out of place. They command a Galaxy class starship and the biggest thing about it to them is the fact they cannot match exactly what Ent-D did in Episode So-and-so.

I remember watching first run episodes of TOS as a small boy. I'd never take her into an STF, but being able to virtually walk the halls of Kirk's first Enterprise while dressed just like Scotty is a dream a six year old finally got to realize. Granted, I had to part with some coin for the privilege and it isn't an exact match but even so. That same small boy thought the Klingon D7 was the absolutely kewelest looking Bad Guy space ship ever. Now, he gets to command one. Very soon, he'll also get to fly a TOS Romulan Warbird(crosses fingers). And no, I'm not going to Tribble before May. Because I don't want to spoil the surprise.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • atticusmasatticusmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As a former piece of sh*t battlestar galactica online player, I am grateful we can actually trade items
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,441 Arc User
    edited April 2013

3. Reduced xp
    5. No access to raids

The deal-breaker for me - you can't even use the mail system without paying. TOR isn't free-to-play - it's free-to-gimp!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's free.