test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Costume Import - It was too good to last...

You know what they say, all good things must come to an end. I was digging into the Foundry on Tribble just to see if anything had changed, and I did find one difference, the costume import is gone.

It really not a surprise as it was a buggy, half implemented feature that under the right circumstances could crash the client. The unfortunate side effect is that whith it goes a host of tricks and workarounds that allowed a bunch of things to happen that normally shouldn't, including getting assets to appear that hadn't actually been added to the Foundry.

I have no way of knowing if costumes created with this bug will disappear when the new expansion hits Holodeck, but in the off chance they don't I'd get any "special" NPCs created now.

Also with this, we will loose the ability to import even normal saved costumes. Be advised.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know what they say, all good things must come to an end. I was digging into the Foundry on Tribble just to see if anything had changed, and I did find one difference, the costume import is gone.

It really not a surprise as it was a buggy, half implemented feature that under the right circumstances could crash the client. The unfortunate side effect is that whith it goes a host of tricks and workarounds that allowed a bunch of things to happen that normally shouldn't, including getting assets to appear that hadn't actually been added to the Foundry.

I have no way of knowing if costumes created with this bug will disappear when the new expansion hits Holodeck, but in the off chance they don't I'd get any "special" NPCs created now.

Also with this, we will loose the ability to import even normal saved costumes. Be advised.

Please post this in the bug forum. I'd like some confirmation that it was taken out. It might be a missing feature on Tribble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If this was done intentionally ...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If this was done intentionally ...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKss2uYpih8
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    ashtakuashtaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If this is a deliberate change I will be... very disappointed :(
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That function opens up so many possibilities. I made wierd aliens with tails ,gorn skin and nausicaan tusks for goodness sake! without that the characters we make in the foundry will be bland. Has this ever happened before?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    there's a few other things mesed up in Tribble foundry, like not being able to USE costumes... So yeah, post it as a bug.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    skydawnknightskydawnknight Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    there's a few other things mesed up in Tribble foundry, like not being able to USE costumes... So yeah, post it as a bug.

Agreed. This sounds like a bug. The ability to create and transfer persistent characters between missions is the only solid thing we have to create a continuing storyline without "working around" something.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Could just be a bug.

But if not... really? what is it with you lot and restricting our options with costumes?

first they remove the ability to mix and match on our Pcs.. claiming it to be an "exploit"

then our boffs for the same reason....

(With the above two it only worked with outfits unlocked or purchased)

As for the foundry.. limiting our options is what gets you punched in he face. If this does get put under the "exploit" then BOOOOOO!!!!!

That said.. give us more outfits and stuff!!!!!

(list too long... every outfit that "works" would be nice.. metal fleshwraps, jupiter, Bajoran bla bla bla)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »

That said.. give us more outfits and stuff!!!!!

(list too long... every outfit that "works" would be nice.. metal fleshwraps, jupiter, Bajoran bla bla bla)

I also wish we had all in game npcs.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    I have seen it where some things are missing from Tribble Foundry that are fine when it goes live. Since the Foundry isn't getting any updates this time I'm sure they're not paying attention to it on Tribble at all.

However, it could also be a case of "This is a buggy feature so we're just going to remove it" kind of thing, in which case I would be very, very disappointed.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I never knew it existed. Thanks!

Also, dev tracker is a very helpful thing. :P

Edit: And what circumstances exactly were you referring to, OP?

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    In the costume importer there's a tab where you can import Cryptic's premade ground npcs and alter them. But of course those NPCs are made with Cryptic's editor which has every costume available, sometimes stuff that's not in game anywhere, let alone the foundry. When you import one of these, it tries to shift each component to something that is available for the Foundry, but it leaves in place menu options for some of these unavailable components. Sometimes selecting these options will do nothing, sometimes it crashes the game.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Okay got confirmation from CrypticFrost that costume import/export was intentionally removed.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It sounds like it might be temporary.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It sounds like it might be temporary.

fingers crossed.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    In the costume importer there's a tab where you can import Cryptic's premade ground npcs and alter them. But of course those NPCs are made with Cryptic's editor which has every costume available, sometimes stuff that's not in game anywhere, let alone the foundry. When you import one of these, it tries to shift each component to something that is available for the Foundry, but it leaves in place menu options for some of these unavailable components. Sometimes selecting these options will do nothing, sometimes it crashes the game.

Ah, that.

Yeah, if you try to create a character on Tribble when you only have a Klingon slot, you get a bug where you can make your own 'premade ground NPCs' instead of a character. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually create the character, as usual.

Did you know Devidians are in fact assembled from several separate components? :cool:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »

Did you know Devidians are in fact assembled from several separate components? :cool:

I once got the devidian to import but only once and now it does not work.