Windows 7

Which drivers are best for STO?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    This needed a bump.. This is STO, ok where are the techy's.
    What nVidia drivers run best with STO?
    I personally dont know but know some of you do, I would think the newest and biggest, but unfortunantly the most expensive huh
    Im sorry, i miss read that question, Driver not card... I'm not sure which one but i do have but it is a fairly new one, Ndiva or whatever, and everytime i logged in it said my driver wasnt current. I went to their web site and checked, it was current. Also checked with dell as requested and it said the same, current driver for the card and disregard the log in not... So i would think if you had the lattest driver for your set up that would be best... Also mine seams to work just fine and i am on the high settings. hope that helps somewhat, Just a thought
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm on GeForce driver 197.13 and it works fine, but I see v197.45 is the latest. Just make sure you do NOT use 196.75 as it had fan control issues.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SLI Dual GeForce 9500GT 1GB x2 PCI Express 16X (2 cards)

is what I am running using old drivers I have zero lag at max settings, with the updated drivers it lags out on ground missions nothing really bad but annoying. when I switch back to old drivers it always gives me the "you do not meet the requirements message", I ignore it and move along. been doing fine since beta.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I upgraded to 197.45, and it seems temps are a couple of degrees lower than what I was getting with 197.13. So far I give the new driver a thumbs up.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Just be careful updating drivers. I was running STO perfectly well on old 169 Drivers. Then, like an idiot, I decided to update them to the new 197.45.

Constant Blue Screens of Death (BSoD) followed, with nvlddmkm.sys being the main culprit, nothing I did fixed it. Now it BSoD's upon start up, so that machine is now on the sidelines, cannot play any games.

Although it may not be the driver's fault. I have a sneaking feeling that updating merely highlighted a problem I must have had with the card that I did not know about.

My main machine now has gfx issues with the startup P.O.S.T., & as the windows drivers aren't loaded at this point I think my card must be fried (8800 GT). Can someone, who knows more than I, please confim if this is likely?

To clariy, if I am having gfx issues at the machine's start up P.O.S.T., does that mean that my Card is at fault?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have dual Geforce 9600 GSO (768mb) cards, one Fatal1ty and one 'stock' with the stock fan replaced by an Akasa Vortexx Neo cooler (runs cooler than the Fatal1ty).

Though I normally run the cards seperately for multi monitors, they are linked and I sometimes run the cards in SLI mode for the game - having no problems with either setting. I also have PhysX enabled.

I have windows 7 (64bit), 4 GB Ram - I forget name / type and a E8500 3.16GHz Core2 Duo processor.

I am currently using the 196.21 Nvidia drivers and find them 'stable' with good temperatures according to both 'Real Temp 3.40' and 'Riva Tuner 2.24'.

I have considered updating to newest Nvidia drivers (197.45), but after the recent overheating fiasco trust is a big issue!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have dual Geforce 9600 GSO (768mb) cards, one Fatal1ty and one 'stock' with the stock fan replaced by an Akasa Vortexx Neo cooler (runs cooler than the Fatal1ty).

Though I normally run the cards seperately for multi monitors, they are linked and I sometimes run the cards in SLI mode for the game - having no problems with either setting. I also have PhysX enabled.

I have windows 7 (64bit), 4 GB Ram - I forget name / type and a E8500 3.16GHz Core2 Duo processor.

I am currently using the 196.21 Nvidia drivers and find them 'stable' with good temperatures according to both 'Real Temp 3.40' and 'Riva Tuner 2.24'.

I have considered updating to newest Nvidia drivers (197.45), but after the recent overheating fiasco trust is a big issue!

Like you on the 196.21 driver. I went to the 197.45 and the game was playing in slo-mo. I went back to the 196.21 drivers and it's all good again.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Like you on the 196.21 driver. I went to the 197.45 and the game was playing in slo-mo. I went back to the 196.21 drivers and it's all good again.

I have two friends that are on the 196.21 drivers for the same reason too and know from reading online that others are.

I should maybe clarify the reason for SLI being disabled - I often use 3 monitors - the main old LCD TV for game, the secondary normal 17" monitor for surfing web / game forums and a projector for occassional use for movies from PC or (rarely) for game. (The drivers allow for SLI and multimonitors though!)

With 196.21 drivers I have no issues - though the game works way better in SLI mode.

Idle temperatures for me are (in C) 36 & 29 for CPU cores and 51 for Fatal1ty GPU and 44 for other 9600 GSO.

Upper temperature in game are good - if I log them later will post here as I forget what I last saw them at and game is patching just now!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I just did some brief testing and have some numbers for you.

Using RA5;

Went round Earth Spacedock for a short while - had a little lag due to (I suspect) volume of toons there. Went to sector space and flew around some - then went to a low lvl enemy contact and joined fight.

First fight, me + 2 enemies.

Second fight,, me + 1 other captain, two sets of four or five MU toons and my photonic fleet of 3 ships - total 13 - 15 ships in combat.

Temperatures with Real Temp;

CPU0 - min 35C max 53C
    CPU1 - min 28C max 45C

GPU (From fatal1ty) min 51C max 61C

GPU 'stock' with Akasa fan - Real Temp shows equal to other : if I had Riva Tuner on though it would report it at around 8C to 10C lower.

Also, I have all GFX turned up and all 'troubleshooting' except SW cursor and min shadow buffer bias on and currently limit FPS to 60. I run the game at 1025*768 on the LCD widescreen TV mostly.

This data is all from system using the 196.21 Nvidia drivers.

That is about as much info I can give regarding the drivers I use on the system I use - not quite what you asked but I hope it goes some way to help.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    STO runs the worst ive seen especially for the 'M' chips in laptops , its the codeing not the chip....