test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Suggestion to the Devs (To calm the masses)

Comments

• darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mattgrant wrote: »
    To be fair, the destruction of Qo'nos' moon shook up the Klingon Empire's government enough for it to sue for peace with the Federation, a concept anathema to their very cultural identity. All Praxis (or whatever it is called) contained were a significant portion of their resources. The Hobus supernova destroyed Romulus and Remus, taking out their primary resource deposits and their central government.

And polluted their atmosphere to make QoNos essentially uninhabitable, and they didn't have the economic resources to either clean up or evacuate.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    That's very true. But they pretty much decided that the Romulans would be implemented this way from all the way back before launch. The Path to 2409 makes it clear that the Romulans don't have a fraction of the power they used to. I think it just comes down to what makes them the easiest to implement. It's a huge undertaking to add everything at once, so I'll be happy with them being released as is and have more features as we go along. If nothing else, I'm fully convinced that they're twice as much of a faction as the KDF started out as! lol!

They did say there wouldn't be a new faction until they could make a 1-50 KDF faction that wasn't a grind. Although I must admit, the thought had crossed my mind that they could've made a few missions that grant large XP gains to stretch the missions out across the levels, but, like you said, we don't know until release. I'm assuming they want all characters, regardless of faction, to level at the same speed, so I think we should have a lot of new missions, but we shall see! I'm excited!

Just because the Romulans are down doesn't mean their out. Letting their people split up into Fed and Klink faction is going to dilute their power and ensure their demise as a major galactic player. What the Romulans should be doing is playing both sides against the middle, making lots of promises and preparing to betray both powers at their earliest convenience.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Just because the Romulans are down doesn't mean their out. Letting their people split up into Fed and Klink faction is going to dilute their power and ensure their demise as a major galactic player. What the Romulans should be doing is playing both sides against the middle, making lots of promises and preparing to betray both powers at their earliest convenience.
    This 100%. The Civil wars+ the additional split along KDF/Fed lines really destroys the possibility down the lines of the Romulans ever becoming a significant entity down the line in the future, which is rather disheartening to me personally as a Romulan fan, knowing that the RSE that I enjoyed watchign so much on the shows has been downgraded to a two-bit vassal of the Klingons and Federation, all whiel they shrug off their old culture and ways that made them so interesting from the TV shows.
  • imadoctornotaimadoctornota Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    macronius wrote: »

Exactly, they aren't down and out, as long as the devs don't allow ship sharing! They can use this temporary alliance to gain power and stand alone.

As to the last bit, this isn't the Romulan Star Empire, but I definitely agree that that they need to make this alliance thing temporary.
    This 100%. The Civil wars+ the additional split along KDF/Fed lines really destroys the possibility down the lines of the Romulans ever becoming a significant entity down the line in the future, which is rather disheartening to me personally as a Romulan fan, knowing that the RSE that I enjoyed watchign so much on the shows has been downgraded to a two-bit vassal of the Klingons and Federation, all whiel they shrug off their old culture and ways that made them so interesting from the TV shows.

The whole point of this thread is that they need to make it possible for the Romulans to eventually become completely independent.

1) We know the Romulans will have to ally with one of the existing factions for now
    2) We want the Romulans to stand alone eventually
    3) They can only make a clean split from their ally if there is no ship sharing!
    Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
    9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree. If there was no ship sharing I would feel a great deal better about LoR.
    edited April 2013
    Eventually Cardassians and later the Dominion, and perhaps even eventually somewhere down the road, the Ferengi will get their number called to become playable factions of their own! When this happens, in an effort to have all ships in their proper fleets, I think the players with such ships that do not belong to their faction should be offered some enticing offer to encourage them to part with their ship (Maybe 100 million energy credits and 100k dilithium or something). I would prefer it not be optional, but I'm sure people would complain if it were forced upon them.
    I agree with the OP.

Another option would be to allow the toon to transfer. Treason happens. Why not let that happen?

Either a few million EC and a few hundred thousand refined dilithium, or switch factions. TRULY EPIC

I think that's a really good idea! Although you might have some Klingons or Vulcans (etc) joining other factions, it would only be a finite amount. I think between that option and the dilithium/EC reward option it'd probably get a lot of ships back to their proper fleets.

A fourth faction is a good deal off no doubt, but it's never too early to start brewing up ideas for our growing galaxy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zztopperszztoppers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree to a point. But I do believe some lower level ships should be available. Tiers 1-3 at least. After that they should have to use Romulan ships only!
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I certainly give my support to NO factional ship sharing
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    imadoctornota as per your signature...ahem....NO!!!!! No, no, no!
  • longjohn9longjohn9 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    New costume idea:) i would like to have a kilt for my captain. I am getting one for my weeding this summer and would like to show some pride with my toon. Scotty wore one in TOS and i would like to do so too. You could fit it in with TOS costume pack or the formal.
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the new faction is going to be great. I'm sure you all have put a tremendous amount of work into it. Many are raging about the lack of starbases and such, but, as dstahl said "For now, the New Romulans are just getting their feet on the ground and must look to the planet New Romulus as their new home and rely on the Starbases of their ally for support."
    This makes crystal clear perfect sense. I would much rather play 50 levels of Romulan content and worry about the finer points being fleshed out later.

That being said, let's be honest, we know if there is ship sharing allowed that the proverbial umbilical cord will never be severed. It's bad enough that we have Cardassian, Dominion and Ferengi ships running around in the Federation and KDF*(see footnote for side point), but if we have Romulans with Galaxy Class cruisers or B'rel class birds of prey, that's what you call "set in stone," and the link will never be broken.

I can live with literally everything else as a transitional phase (even if it lasts a long while), but please I implore you; Do not allow Romulans to use Federation or KDF ships or vice-versa!

We (the kind portion of the player base) thank you for your long and hard hours, (you guys totally deserve to go back to 5 day weeks!) and I encourage you to take to heart the suggestion about ship sharing.

*An idea: Eventually Cardassians and later the Dominion, and perhaps even eventually somewhere down the road, the Ferengi will get their number called to become playable factions of their own! When this happens, in an effort to have all ships in their proper fleets, I think the players with such ships that do not belong to their faction should be offered some enticing offer to encourage them to part with their ship (Maybe 100 million energy credits and 100k dilithium or something). I would prefer it not be optional, but I'm sure people would complain if it were forced upon them.

If it comes to that cryptic should make the faction verision even better then the lock box ship version, so that the players find the obsolete :D
    edited April 2013
    rakija879 wrote: »
    If it comes to that cryptic should make the faction verision even better then the lock box ship version, so that the players find the obsolete :D

That's not a half bad idea! Maybe make better versions and then upgrade all ships except the lock-box ships. That way they could still fly the lock-box ship, but it wouldn't be very good. I'm sure it would cause some rage, but hey, the way I see it is the lock-boxes were implemented to make so quick cash to go into improving the game and to give the player access to ships that they otherwise wouldn't have access to until that faction were created. Once those factions are made, there usefulness is past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    That's not a half bad idea! Maybe make better versions and then upgrade all ships except the lock-box ships. That way they could still fly the lock-box ship, but it wouldn't be very good. I'm sure it would cause some rage, but hey, the way I see it is the lock-boxes were implemented to make so quick cash to go into improving the game and to give the player access to ships that they otherwise wouldn't have access to until that faction were created. Once those factions are made, there usefulness is past.

This is why lockboxes should not contain ships. :/
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is why lockboxes should not contain ships. :/
    NO doubt. Gear obtainable in game and other fluff stuff but not ships. Hell I would even compromise and agree to ship up to the Captain level but not end game stuff. The affect the ships have on the economy is massive and not good to be frank.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
    edited April 2013
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    NO doubt. Gear obtainable in game and other fluff stuff but not ships. Hell I would even compromise and agree to ship up to the Captain level but not end game stuff. The affect the ships have on the economy is massive and not good to be frank.

SO true!!

This was an encouraging thing that dstahl said:
    "To clarify, this alliance does not extend in reverse. FED and KDF captains will not be allowed to command Warbirds"

However, he did say this in the last 'Ask Cryptic' so Idk...
    "Lock Box ships will remain available to all faction captains. This includes the possibility that we might release a Romulan themed box that may have specific Romulan ships that are available to all factions."

I really hope that if nothing else, this thread makes them decide that the 'possibility' of doing that is not a good idea.

If they proceed with their plan to allow the Romulans to use their ally's ships, I hope that many will be deterred from doing so due to this (those allied to the Federation at least):

"One potential disadvantage to commanding an allies' ship is that Romulan Captains have a unique species space trait called subterfuge which provides a bonus to cloak and decloak ambush damage. If a Romulan is flying a ship without cloak, they are not getting the most out of their trait."

Although I'm sure many won't care and they'll be running around in their Kumaris and such. Not to mention Klingon ships!

Someone also mentioned sharing up to tier 3, I like that idea, and it fits. The only ship of a tier beyond tier 3 that I wouldn't mind seeing Romulan Republic players flying around in is the Vulcan ships. Since D'tan is the one pushing so hard for reunification, it'd be plausible that some Vulcans would be supportive of his Republic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pokinatchapunxpokinatchapunx Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I completely agree with the OP. Let the Republic have their ally's equipment and uniforms, but starships is a bit too much.

Or ... what if Romulans characters can obtain an ally's ship, but instead of being able to fly it, they can have it reverse engineered to improve their warbird? That sounds like it would make everyone happy - the Feds/KDF don't have to lose their unique ships, and the Romulans can still benefit from their ally's ships.

I completely agree with the OP and with this post. Let Romulans keep the looks of their current ships but equip them with the effective abilities (BOFF stations, weapons, etc.) of the fed/kdf allies. This way I don't have to shake my head whenever I see a romulan in a vesta.

Sure brand spanking new ally, have my top of the line high-tech jetfighter, cruiser, missile launcher, starship... It could happen right? No.
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like to think so but when (not if) a lockbox is released I hope it will have some "old" Romulan ship in it or a modern one that is limited to T3 level.

On the topic of lockboxes,to be frank, I dont like the whole idea one bit with ships being in them. With that stated, I've spend big money them but my intent is primarily to support Cryptic and not profit selling a ship for insane amounts of EC. This is so since I have purchased 95% of the stuff in the store and sadly I have only got trash + lobis from the boxes. It is why I dont gamble since if it were not for bad luck I would have no luck. :mad:

I wish Dan would flatout tell us now if they will limit ships OR if when team green goes independent for real that all ships MUST be sold to a vendor for something to prevent people from ********.

SO true!!

This was an encouraging thing that dstahl said:
    "To clarify, this alliance does not extend in reverse. FED and KDF captains will not be allowed to command Warbirds"

However, he did say this in the last 'Ask Cryptic' so Idk...
    "Lock Box ships will remain available to all faction captains. This includes the possibility that we might release a Romulan themed box that may have specific Romulan ships that are available to all factions."

I really hope that if nothing else, this thread makes them decide that the 'possibility' of doing that is not a good idea.

If they proceed with their plan to allow the Romulans to use their ally's ships, I hope that many will be deterred from doing so due to this (those allied to the Federation at least):

"One potential disadvantage to commanding an allies' ship is that Romulan Captains have a unique species space trait called subterfuge which provides a bonus to cloak and decloak ambush damage. If a Romulan is flying a ship without cloak, they are not getting the most out of their trait."

Although I'm sure many won't care and they'll be running around in their Kumaris and such. Not to mention Klingon ships!

Someone also mentioned sharing up to tier 3, I like that idea, and it fits. The only ship of a tier beyond tier 3 that I wouldn't mind seeing Romulan Republic players flying around in is the Vulcan ships. Since D'tan is the one pushing so hard for reunification, it'd be plausible that some Vulcans would be supportive of his Republic.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
    edited April 2013
    On the topic of lockboxes,to be frank, I dont like the whole idea one bit with ships being in them. With that stated, I've spend big money them but my intent is primarily to support Cryptic and not profit selling a ship for insane amounts of EC. This is so since I have purchased 95% of the stuff in the store and sadly I have only got trash + lobis from the boxes. It is why I dont gamble since if it were not for bad luck I would have no luck. :mad:

If I had the money for it, I would spend a bunch of money on the game just for the support factor too. But at launch I bought a lifetime subscription and three copies of the game, and I spend some on C-store stuff for as long as I had disposable income...aka, until I got married ;) lol! Fellow non-gambler here btw! lol
    I wish Dan would flatout tell us now if they will limit ships OR if when team green goes independent for real that all ships MUST be sold to a vendor for something to prevent people from ********.

My thoughts exactly! There could be a couple months given to allow the players to sell their ships to a vendor for a bunch of EC and dilithium and if they didn't do it at that point, they'd just delete all of them and they get nothing! lol No doubt many would be outraged, but hey, Star Trek fans make up the dedicated fan-base of this game and we don't want ships to be in the wrong stinkin' faction!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Team green isn't going independent or else they would have approached this differently.

Though it's really the only playable race which will be so controversial to implement in this method.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, the Romulans will never be a truly independent faction. The whole set-up simply precludes it ever happening. Cryptic will not force players out of their fleets and take away their toys.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, the Romulans will never be a truly independent faction. The whole set-up simply precludes it ever happening. Cryptic will not force players out of their fleets and take away their toys.
    Have you finally been turned to the darkside?
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
    edited April 2013

To the point where they're the only things worth buying. There isn't much rhyme or reason to anything else. :(

He said that they would have access to Fleet Ships, which is a corner they wont be able to paint themselves out of. :(
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013

They might not take anything away per say, but in the future they might hypothetically prevent characters from joining non-Romulan fleets or picking up non-Romulan ships.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited April 2013
    They might not take anything away per say, but in the future they might hypothetically prevent characters from joining non-Romulan fleets or picking up non-Romulan ships.

That idea leaves a bad taste in my mouth too. :(
    edited April 2013
    Team green isn't going independent or else they would have approached this differently.

Though it's really the only playable race which will be so controversial to implement in this method.

The way I see it, ship-sharing is the only thing that will make the Romulans stuck in the other two faction's shadows for life. After all, Cryptic was pretty adamant that the KDF would be a PvP faction at first, but the community spoke out and told them what they wanted, that's what this thread is about.

That's why they could reimburse them for their 'toys.' Besides, that was just a side point regarding future factions and the current ships you see running around, which has nothing to do with the Romulan faction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    darimund wrote: »
    Ahh but you forget one all important key fact... Cryptic doesn't want to make canon STO, they want to make their own fan fiction where anything and everything can happen because in the final numbers it makes them money.

While this expansion, in byte size, may indeed deliver more content than previous seasons, there will ultimately be little added to the game. It's still Fed and KDF missions with more ships to buy from the cstore and some new shiny lock boxes to gamble away your cash on.

Here is the future of STO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXz2oOlN0A

It only it'd look that good.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the new faction is going to be great. I'm sure you all have put a tremendous amount of work into it. Many are raging about the lack of starbases and such, but, as dstahl said "For now, the New Romulans are just getting their feet on the ground and must look to the planet New Romulus as their new home and rely on the Starbases of their ally for support."
    This makes crystal clear perfect sense. I would much rather play 50 levels of Romulan content and worry about the finer points being fleshed out later.

I also agree,

look at it like this; there is no point building a house on quick sand, it wont work! you need a solid ground and a foundation, once that is accomplished then think about building the house.
    right now the rommies are coming, so ground is found at this time and not sure if its sand or solid yet. when the beta comes then it will be solid ground, its release is the foundation and the sto team can work on the house to their liking when both the other objectives are complete, via patches, updates and new stuff for everyone.

so yes let them work at it. screaming at them for lots of different things so early is like throwing a banana skin at a runner who ran past 10 minutes ago... makes no sense. lets not get into this fleets thing for a while, make sure everything works first.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Sadly, I fear you are probably right :(

As for the OP, I totally agree, no ship sharing.
    edited April 2013
    "Allied Ships (Updated!)

When a Romulan Captain chooses to ally with the Federation or the Klingon Defense Force, they gain access to a limited number of their ally?s ships. Romulan Captains can obtain Tier 1 through Tier 4 allied ships for Dilithium or in the C-Store, depending on the specific ship. Romulan Captains cannot command, nor purchase/ claim, Tier 5 (Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Brigadier General, or Lieutenant General) ships from the faction that they have allied with."

This is great, great, GREAT news!! To everyone who says the devs don't listen, consider this your big, fat helping of "I told you so!"

"1000-Day Veteran Ship

At launch, Romulans will not have a 1000-day Veteran ship available. We are planning to address this as soon as possible."

^Also very exciting!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Member Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am fine with the romulans allying themselves with the klingons and the federation for the time being. I don't think the romulan republic represents all romulans, as evidenced by sela and her npc faction. With sela and the talshiar working against them, the romulan republic needs these allies.

The federation allowing the romulans to use their ship yards to build romulan ships makes sense to me, it would promote federation values and could potentially lead to new romulus joining the federation while affording the opportunity for some technology sharing or at the very least the opportunity to observe romulan technology. I know, not very federly of them, but there's section 31 and whatnot working behind the scenes.

The klingons couldn't let the romulans ally themselves with the federation exclusively, so of course they decide to make nice, I presume with the intention of eventually conquering/slaughtering them all.

But yeah, I would still like for there to be no ship sharing at all. I'm not sure why they felt the need for there to be any in the first place. Giving the few romulan ships several different internal configurations (boff/console layout) to compensate for their being so few canon types or giving them a universal boff station or two, perhaps even introduce a single "universal console slot" that can accept any type of console, would make their few ship styles more versatile, which I feel would fit more with canon.