test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is a faction?

anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
I think it's about time we get that cleared up:

Simple question: What makes a faction in STO?

Edit from my 2'nd post:
anazonda wrote: »
Let's for the purpose of avoiding trigger happy mods, avoid the entire "Is Rom a faction", and just focus on defining a faction.

I'd hate to see this thread merged into another, because they once again can't differentiated between topics, just because it might get a little side-tracked.

I see where you are going, and I would lie, if I said that my OP wasn't based on the ongoing discussion, but lets for the purpose of current, and future, factions try to focus on the term "Faction" alone.
Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
Post edited by anazonda on

Comments

• baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    an exclusive and unique "homezone" or homeplanet
    exclusive missions
    exclusive ships and costumes

romulans have all 3 of those, but KDF and FEd have more
    Go pro or go home
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would say independence is a very important aspect of any faction. Their own identity.

It would be a group with shared beliefs and goals

The soon coming romulans loose all that independence as soon as they get ripped in 2 and have to join another faction in their 'war'. How do they have shared beliefs? when romulan A chooses the federation and romulan B chooses the Klingon defence force ? And romulan A and B become enemies?!???

2 very clear things at the heart of a factions foundations are broken. Romulan A and B are not unified and they are meant to be in the same faction.

Yeah makes no sense at all. So you can't call the romulans a 3rd faction of it's own.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Let's for the purpose of avoiding trigger happy mods, avoid the entire "Is Rom a faction", and just focus on defining a faction.

I'd hate to see this thread merged into another, because they once again can't differentiated between topics, just because it might get a little side-tracked.

I see where you are going, and I would lie, if I said that my OP wasn't based on the ongoing discussion, but lets for the purpose of current, and future, factions try to focus on the term "Faction" alone.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A faction has its own vendor for Task Force Omega, with their own equipment, and isn't forced to use the endgame equipment from the other factions.

A faction has its own queues for STFs and PvP, and isn't forced to sign up for another faction's queues. Even if those queues end up being cross-faction in general.

A faction has its own fleets and starbases, its own PvP objectives, as opposed to just fighting for the objectives of the other factions.

A faction has its own identity, and isn't just fodder to fill in for the two "important" factions.
  • thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulans remain an independent entity after they 'ALLY' themselves with a faction, they now simply have access to facilities that they otherwise would not have.

The only thing the Romulans don't have is unique fleet holdings but do they really need them right now? Is that enough for all the rage and horrible comments directed at Dan in the AskCryptic thread?

From what I can see, Romulans have completely unique content from 1-40 and after that slip into the usual FE episodes that everyone plays, that seems fine to me.

It's a faction and the negatives to this arrangement can be fixed over time no problem.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • wanderer89wanderer89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If Romulan A chooses the Federation (me) and Romulan B chooses the KDF I still believe its a good thing over all story and character wise.

You see, you are all citizens (not soldiers or Tal Shiar as stated by Dan). Your character wants whats best for New Romulus and your character might decide that the Klingons can provide the military support to bolster its footing in the galaxy. Or you might decide that only with the friendship of the Federation can New Romulus successfully begin trading with outside worlds again

Though from my own character story, I'm going to immerse myself in the beliefe that I'm actually just spying on the Feds :p (roleplayers unite!)

I'm rather looking forward to being the New Romulan Republic, and everything I read about them makes me happier and happier
    THE ARTIST FORMALLY KNOWN AS TRYULIS
    Vice Admiral Dir Sonatra, I.R.W. Kholairlha, Scimitar Class Warbird
    Vice Admiral Oshin S'ree, USS Steamrunner, Steamrunner Class

TEN FORWARD FLEET
    edited March 2013
    Guys, PLEASE... Avoid the current Rom discussion... There are plenty of thread for that out there... We just end up getting this merged with one of the non-related threads...

That overly triggerhappy mod ... loves destroying threads... Especially mine, so I beg you... JUST define a faction.
  • wanderer89wanderer89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Guys, PLEASE... Avoid the current Rom discussion... There are plenty of thread for that out there... We just end up getting this merged with one of the non-related threads...

That overly triggerhappy mod ... loves destroying threads... Especially mine, so I beg you... JUST define a faction.

well, using the examples I gave above I *meant* to convey that I believe it is story content that makes a faction. To me a faction is about a race of people working toward a shared goal.
    THE ARTIST FORMALLY KNOWN AS TRYULIS
    Vice Admiral Dir Sonatra, I.R.W. Kholairlha, Scimitar Class Warbird
    Vice Admiral Oshin S'ree, USS Steamrunner, Steamrunner Class

TEN FORWARD FLEET
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I applaud your efforts at seeking a clear definition of what a faction is. A "faction" is whatever the developers say it is.Subject to change at their whim, at any given moment. Hope this helps.:rolleyes::
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A faction is a faction when it can not be defined as "mercenary" .

I am aware that the Feds have Klingons on their team as well (and KDF have Trills) , but they too fall into the category of either 'traitor' or 'mercenary' .

That , plus there is no Klingon faction that has to decide by Level 10 if they want to play as mercenary's (ooppps , I mean "allies") of the Feds or the Romulans .
    Nor do we have a Federation faction that has to decide by Level 10 if they want to play as mercenary's of the KDF or the Dominion .

Also , a faction is a standard base entity that meets whatever qualifications were set by (in this case) the gaming company .
    In our case , it was :
    - The ability to create and own a Fleet .
    - Owning a Starbase (with the option of developing said Starbase)

Had some other prerequisites been established by the gaming company -- then they would have been the standard .
    As it is , we cannot blame ourselfs for the standards we did not choose . Cryptic can blame themselves for that -- but they won't ... .
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Faction in a computer game is more or less like teams, sides in normal games. The blues against the reds. It is necessary in a game were you want players to play against each other and want to have a more roleplaying environment. The question why we fight each other, what are we fighting fore, is not just a matter of game play but has a background in the game world, the lore.

Factions and races can coincide, but this is not necessary. STO and WoW have multi racial factions.

You don't need factions for PvP. DDO and Guildwars don't have factions, as I remember. In Guildwars, the guilds were the factions.

All in all I consider factions as a game mechanic, an aspect with not much meaning since I am in a stance that I play a character that plays a role in a world. At the core of my idea that the faction is an element of the game lies the fact that as a character I have to chose a faction, a side, and I can never change that, ever, unless I reroll and make a new character. You cannot be neutral, you cannot change.
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    fovrel wrote: »
    At the core of my idea that the faction is an element of the game lies the fact that as a character I have to chose a faction, a side, and I can never change that, ever, unless I reroll and make a new character. You cannot be neutral, you cannot change.

And yet we had City of Heroes/Villains that introduced a neutral faction (Praetoria) and included a means for faction switching through a series of missions where your character could change over time. It was well received and even requested for quite some time in that game.
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I applaud the effort to define a faction, there will never be real consensus, because different players have different playstyles.

For me, endgame means Foundry or rolling a new character. I'm not interested in raids or PvP. Having 40 levels of faction-specific content means I have a real new faction to play.

For others, storyline/episodic content is that annoying thing that gets in the way of reaching endgame, or at least its just viewed as "training" for endgame. Even this group may be split between those who don't care who they are allied with as long as they get to participate in endgame activities. They may consider themselves Reunificationists and ally with one side, or Tal-Shiar and ally with the other to strike back at the traitors of the Empire.

One thing that is missing in all of the new faction discussions is that we were told early on that we might be restricted to mini-factions. These might start at high level and then choose sides for endgame. This is not a new concept, it is not a surprise. We were told this.

Instead, Cryptic put out the effort to create a more unique faction with as much content at the start as the Federation had at release. We will have to choose allies early, but unless you choose to play allied missions, that really doesn't kick in until endgame.

So, for endgame we get the type of mini-faction that has been discussed all along (for now), but we get the experience of playing our own unique storyline with its own unique flavor until then.
  • abrahamjohnson83abrahamjohnson83 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    faction [fak-shuhn]
    noun
    1. a group or clique within a larger group, party, government, organization, or the like: a faction in favor of big business.
    2. party strife and intrigue; dissension: an era of faction and treason.

The term is so broad that it is hardly worthwhile to define this in more detail, or even to argue.
    If Starbases or not, or something similar isn't in relation to this. ;)
    edited March 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I applaud your efforts at seeking a clear definition of what a faction is. A "faction" is whatever the developers say it is.Subject to change at their whim, at any given moment. Hope this helps.:rolleyes::

While the rolleyes was unnessacary, one thing has been proven over time: What the devs think is not the ultimate answer, and given enough time they will change their minds if enough people are outspoken enough.

Examples of this is the Carrier for KDF only, Death penalty/Difficulty levels will never be, STO is not going F2P, KDF as a PvP only faction... Theese are all things once said by Devs and Cryptic... yet look at the game now.

But you are right of cause...
    broadnax wrote: »
    While I applaud the effort to define a faction, there will never be real consensus, because different players have different playstyles.

This is in fact what I am fishing for... There will never be 100% consensus... I am fully aware of it, but right now the conversation is alive and kicking, but only focused on the Romulans.

If we can at least lay out the road, make it easier to see it, we might avoid a similar storm in the future.

That and the fact that I am extremely curious about what peoples responses will be.
  • theincredible33theincredible33 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As I mentioned here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8931391#post8931391

This is what makes a faction:

Level 1-50 content
    Unique playable species
    Own epiosdes
    Own backstory
    Own ships
    Own home base
    Own uniforms
    Distinct UI style

The above equals the Fed KDF AND Rom to each be a faction.
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A faction too me is all Romulan players united under a Team Green banner. People rolling Romulans and staying in their current fleets and factions split up is not a faction too me. Its a add on for Fed and KDF players to make a Romulan alt and keep playing with their fleet and friends. You cant be faction with no unity.
    edited March 2013
    A faction too me is all Romulan players united under a Team Green banner. People rolling Romulans and staying in their current fleets and factions split up is not a faction too me. Its a add on for Fed and KDF players to make a Romulan alt and keep playing with their fleet and friends. You cant be faction with no unity.

So a new faction, say Cardassians, would have to unite under the romulan banner too?
    edited March 2013
    So a new faction, say Cardassians, would have to unite under the romulan banner too?

They would be on team Green and not be independent or they be a team Brown/Gold. Factions are teams to me, a side you chose to play and group of people that chose that side to play with. If all the Romulan players are split up its not a team too me.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You have been here longer than myself. I rolled eyes about the marketing practices, it wasn't directed at you.
    edited March 2013
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    You have been here longer than myself. I rolled eyes about the marketing practices, it wasn't directed at you.

Well in that case, I appolegize...
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A faction to me is the organization or the people you fight for. For instance, this game has two factions that the players can join, the Federation and the KDF. The clearest example of players membership in said faction is generally their color and fleets are obviously limited to drawing memberships from their respective factions. A Federation Fleet can't recruit KDF players because they aren't in the same faction and vice versa.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kadieras wrote: »
    A faction to me is the organization or the people you fight for.

Or simply a group of people acting together. We didn't get a new faction; we got two.
    edited March 2013
    No, we already had two and we are forced to join one of them instead of being our own.
    calamintha wrote: »
    Or simply a group of people acting together. We didn't get a new faction; we got two.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • tatyanasergeitatyanasergei Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What is a faction? A miserable little pile of players.
    Centurion Tenir - R.R.W. Taldor
    Legacy of Romulus, Round One Closed Beta Tester
    "The Republic may need to work with Starfleet and the Klingons now, but trust neither of them."
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Simple question: What makes a faction in STO?

Not being restricted from any of the forms of group play with any other member of your faction.

Being able to group queue for any content, including PvP, with any member of your faction.

Being able to join a fleet with any member of your faction.

Being able to access all major game systems as part of your faction.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would say that the question of what constitutes a 'faction' is a tricky one.

Take the Vulcans. They have a ship, they have a location in the game, they have character models. Are they a faction? I would say no. Same is true of, say, the Orions or even the Humans.

I will say this, then, and particularly for STO:

1. A unique color scheme for the UI. It may seem like a small thing, but it definitely is a thing.

2. Unique playable characters- uniforms, ranks, character creation options.

3. A set of ships that share similar, identifiable characteristics that can be easily distinguished at a glance. The Federation have their "saucer and nacelles", the Klingons have their "green and red birds of prey", and the Romulans have their "glowing green wings and warbirds". However, the faction does not have to be limited to only these ships. The Klingons quite reasonably integrate the Gorn and the Orions. The Federation quite reasonably integrate the Vulcans and the Catians.

4. At least some kind of unique territory, ideally with some kind of unique zone. There's no one model for this. The Federation has ESD and the Academy; the Klingons have the First City, an Orbital Shipyard, and the Klingon Academy. Hypothetically, the Romulans could have a single integrated social/academy/shipyard zone- in the Vault, say. In fact, making them carbon copies of them is a bad idea.

5. Some kind of compelling reason for them to behave independently, and yet integrate into galactic society in a meaningful way. I don't think this necessitates total factional independence, or that the entire 'race' that comprises the faction must behave in a specific way. I could see, for example, the Gorn eventually becoming an independent faction in a "Gorn Civil War", with some Gorn choosing to go KDF and some Gorn choosing to go Federation (or Romulan, or whatever).

So that's what I'd say.
    edited March 2013
    squishkin wrote: »
    I would say that the question of what constitutes a 'faction' is a tricky one.

Take the Vulcans. They have a ship, they have a location in the game, they have character models. Are they a faction? I would say no. Same is true of, say, the Orions or even the Humans.

I will say this, then, and particularly for STO:

1. A unique color scheme for the UI. It may seem like a small thing, but it definitely is a thing.

2. Unique playable characters- uniforms, ranks, character creation options.

3. A set of ships that share similar, identifiable characteristics that can be easily distinguished at a glance. The Federation have their "saucer and nacelles", the Klingons have their "green and red birds of prey", and the Romulans have their "glowing green wings and warbirds". However, the faction does not have to be limited to only these ships. The Klingons quite reasonably integrate the Gorn and the Orions. The Federation quite reasonably integrate the Vulcans and the Catians.

4. At least some kind of unique territory, ideally with some kind of unique zone. There's no one model for this. The Federation has ESD and the Academy; the Klingons have the First City, an Orbital Shipyard, and the Klingon Academy. Hypothetically, the Romulans could have a single integrated social/academy/shipyard zone- in the Vault, say. In fact, making them carbon copies of them is a bad idea.

5. Some kind of compelling reason for them to behave independently, and yet integrate into galactic society in a meaningful way. I don't think this necessitates total factional independence, or that the entire 'race' that comprises the faction must behave in a specific way. I could see, for example, the Gorn eventually becoming an independent faction in a "Gorn Civil War", with some Gorn choosing to go KDF and some Gorn choosing to go Federation (or Romulan, or whatever).

So that's what I'd say.

I will use WoW's Panda race as a example.

1,2 &3. The Panda's have unique look and race traits that make them different then the other races in wow. They have mounts , clothes ,ect..

4. Panda's have their own missions, social hubs, their own lands in game.

5. Key points here, Panda Race is not independent in game, they still have to pick a faction(side) in game. A faction is a team, STO have two FEDS and KDF, Romulans have to chose which team they go on.

Romulans are a race choice for two existing factions with their own content. Its not a faction in the mmo game since. I have never seen a race split between two other factions in any other mmo and be called a faction of its own.

This set-up is great a existing player-base that wanted to play Romulan alts with their fleets and friends on the faction they chose to play(like the Panda players going Horde or Alliance in WoW to play with their friends and Guilds). Its however not a faction , no fleets, no starbases, no player unity means no Green Team.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    5. Key points here, Panda Race is not independent in game, they still have to pick a faction(side) in game. A faction is a team, STO have two FEDS and KDF, Romulans have to chose which team they go on.

Romulans are a race choice for two existing factions with their own content. Its not a faction in the mmo game since. I have never seen a race split between two other factions in any other mmo and be called a faction of its own.

This set-up is great a existing player-base that wanted to play Romulan alts with their fleets and friends on the faction they chose to play(like the Panda players going Horde or Alliance in WoW to play with their friends and Guilds). Its however not a faction , no fleets, no starbases, no player unity means no Green Team.

My point is that that's not true. It doesn't make sense to require that a faction have total galactic independence. Having a faction doesn't require adding another side- going from a triangular war to a square war to a pentagonal war. It's both impractical from a gameplay perspective and unnecessary from a story perspective.

Take, for example, my hypothetical Gorn faction. Previously integrated into the Klingon Empire, the Gorn are now in a state of overt rebellion against the Klingons. Some Gorn have decided to ally with the KDF. Some Gorn are striking out on their own and seeking support from the Federation. They have access to the technology and facilities of their allies, because they are allies. But they are not subordinate to their allies. In the same vein, however, the Gorn have no desire or intention to strike out on their own as a totally independent organization to declare war on both the Klingons and the Federation. That doesn't advance their particular goals.

My last point is that the faction requires some independence, but it also requires a compelling way to integrate into galactic civilization. The Romulans have that independence, and there are plenty of ways I can imagine to make it work, story-wise. There's simply no reasonable benefit for the Romulans at this stage in their societal development to get into a three-way conflict with the Federation and the Klingons (plus their own remnant species). We already have the background woven together for the New Romulan Republic to play the Federation and the Klingons against each other as allies: and that's exactly what they're doing.
    edited March 2013
    In your example the Gorn would NOT be a faction, they would be split between those members who joined the Federation Faction and those that remained with the KDF faction. You are correct that they would be semi-independent however.
    squishkin wrote: »
    My point is that that's not true. It doesn't make sense to require that a faction have total galactic independence. Having a faction doesn't require adding another side- going from a triangular war to a square war to a pentagonal war. It's both impractical from a gameplay perspective and unnecessary from a story perspective.

Take, for example, my hypothetical Gorn faction. Previously integrated into the Klingon Empire, the Gorn are now in a state of overt rebellion against the Klingons. Some Gorn have decided to ally with the KDF. Some Gorn are striking out on their own and seeking support from the Federation. They have access to the technology and facilities of their allies, because they are allies. But they are not subordinate to their allies. In the same vein, however, the Gorn have no desire or intention to strike out on their own as a totally independent organization to declare war on both the Klingons and the Federation. That doesn't advance their particular goals.

My last point is that the faction requires some independence, but it also requires a compelling way to integrate into galactic civilization. The Romulans have that independence, and there are plenty of ways I can imagine to make it work, story-wise. There's simply no reasonable benefit for the Romulans at this stage in their societal development to get into a three-way conflict with the Federation and the Klingons (plus their own remnant species). We already have the background woven together for the New Romulan Republic to play the Federation and the Klingons against each other as allies: and that's exactly what they're doing.