What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #7 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hum...I'm new to the foundry creating, may I ask a few questions?

1) Is there any chance that foundry going to be updated for this challenge to force the players to use a small craft? There will be space fighting in my mission and the story would make absolutely no sense if the player were using a starship ;_; I know I may be asking too much, but maybe just for this challenge...?

2)Can I import exist npc costume into my foundry? Say, I want to use Captain Shon of E-F in my mission, but he can not be found on any of the public map, and I can't find his uniform in the available costume list. Does that mean I can't use him as a npc in my mission?

3)How can I make the story move on after the player get defeated? Like what happened in the spotlight mission "Cause, then effect"? Players ship get killed by a bunch of enemies, after that the story move on to next map instead of repeat the plot, asking players to kill the enemies.

Any response would be appreciated<3

1) Doubtful

2) You can try to make your own Shron copy. Jupiter uniforms arnt in the foundry yet.

3) Set a respawn point at X location you want the player o move to after he/she dies.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    ciphertuesdayciphertuesday Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    1) Doubtful

2) You can try to make your own Shron copy. Jupiter uniforms arnt in the foundry yet.

3) Set a respawn point at X location you want the player o move to after he/she dies.

I see... I guess Shon have to put on another uniform in my mission then:P Sorry captain!

You are right, that should work...but if the player accidentally reach the point before they should, are they going to be able to move to next map anyway?

And big thanks!
  • Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So having the Ask'kaar shoot Justin Bieber is a no no?

You can destroy a ship and have it say Justin Bieber was on board!? :D
    I see... I guess Shon have to put on another uniform in my mission then:P Sorry captain!
    You are right, that should work...but if the player accidentally reach the point before they should, are they going to be able to move to next map anyway?

Good examples of both can be found in my Beneath the Raptors Wing Missions, near the start of the first one you get killed and respawn at an isolated part of the map before some dialogue and then next map.
    Then in the second mission at the end you are greeted by Shon, it is a lot harder to copy the faces than you realise so have pateince with it mate!

I have my first screenshots people; Pictures: Pitch Black, Inner-Space, Coming Sandstorm, Iberium.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Good examples of both can be found in my Beneath the Raptors Wing Missions, near the start of the first one you get killed and respawn at an isolated part of the map before some dialogue and then next map.
    Then in the second mission at the end you are greeted by Shon, it is a lot harder to copy the faces than you realise so have pateince with it mate!

I have my first screenshots people; Pictures: Pitch Black, Inner-Space, Coming Sandstorm, Iberium.

just watched the episode yours is based on. looking forwrd to playing it.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ok, I think I'll participate in this one. I probably won't have time to finish it, but I can't pass up a building challenge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Thank you! Yeah making Shon's face is quite tough, I will make sure I do my best>_<
  • Options
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »

That's beautiful! Which item did you use to build the dock wall?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That's beautiful! Which item did you use to build the dock wall?

Thanks. You mean the rocks? they are asteroids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks. You mean the rocks? they are asteroids.

I mean the dock...I thought it's accomplished by some sort of ring-shape object?
  • Options
    i8472i8472 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Got my plot figured out. :rolleyes:

computer crashed multiple times using the Foundry last week... *around same time the server crashed. :D

In testing so far... found it hard to get to the 30 minute mark... even with load screens.

(And I have tried to limit # of load screens to as few as possible)

(** big improvement from my last entry where I found it hard to get it under 40 mins even mashing the kill target button, while mashing the Tab button**)

Teaser

1 Doff assignment *ok not really but... it's where I'd put one.*

Romulans :mad:

1 memory exercise, that's skip able.

What I've tried to do is... a Diplomatic/ Humanitarian type mission.

I attempted to make it Easy / Not Difficult for any Level of player.

Still have to choose a name for it... and other stuff :eek:

I'm going to try something I haven't seen in a Foundry mission and that is... have a prologue. It'll be interesting to hear reactions to it. It's about 2 mins or less to complete.

Have a great day.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

OMG I am nicking that for my series! :D Nice work, feels very BSG ;)
    Wait, how many program's do you need to run at any one time? The most ill have is 4-5! :eek:

Bran; would it be ok to publish on the 5th? I don't know if I will have Internet till Late GMT on the 9th when I come back from a state event!?
    I'm already done making it, just dodgy about the times I can publish :'(""
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If I wanted to can I withdraw from the contest so I can publish the mission and the three after it at the same time?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited April 2013
    If I wanted to can I withdraw from the contest so I can publish the mission and the three after it at the same time?

Sure :) Just edit out your post in the entry thread to "<Removed>".
    Bran; would it be ok to publish on the 5th? I don't know if I will have Internet till Late GMT on the 9th when I come back from a state event!?
    I'm already done making it, just dodgy about the times I can publish :'(""

Per the rules: ***If you are unable to push the "publish" button at this time due to timezones/ work schedules, please wait until the latest possible moment before this day/time. (If the 5th is the latest possible moment, than it will have to do :))

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hmm I'll just take a break then and come back on the 9th to post them all...

Anyway... Spoilers!!!

Screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5
    Teaser
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Per the rules: ***If you are unable to push the "publish" button at this time due to timezones/ work schedules, please wait until the latest possible moment before this day/time. (If the 5th is the latest possible moment, than it will have to do :))

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Cheers, I know what the rules are, but its only manors to ask these things! :D

Ill be taking this weekend to proof read it, New baby really makes typing difficult, but the she loves the flying ships and pretty lights, think I turned her into a trekkie nice and early :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I just got two nice folks to test one of my shuttle battles. They had almost identical captain's yachts. Yet, one never got below 80% and the other died multiple times and could only complete it with fleet assistance.

Shuttle missions are impossible to test!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I just got two nice folks to test one of my shuttle battles. They had almost identical captain's yachts. Yet, one never got below 80% and the other died multiple times and could only complete it with fleet assistance.

Shuttle missions are impossible to test!

I've got to agree with kirksplat.. I yoinked some fleeties to test the combat.. then as the enemy ships (fighter 02) spawn.. they bring in 2 battleships with them. so needless to say that didn't end well.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've got to agree with kirksplat.. I yoinked some fleeties to test the combat.. then as the enemy ships (fighter 02) spawn.. they bring in 2 battleships with them. so needless to say that didn't end well.

That's why I use 'Weak' and 'Frigate' Groups and then select my own Costumes, solves these sort of issues. :D

I'm afraid I had to publish my mission now guys, been sent away early and I wont get the weekend off to come home like I was planning.
    Feel free to play it but as you know, there isn't any voting until the end of the Competition!

Look forward to coming back around the 10th and playing all of your entrys. :)
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Edit: Ignore me... im blabbering.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Nevermind.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    As I got the weekend off I decided to create a Klingon Version of my Mission 'Inner Space' called 'qoD' logh', (A translation of Inside Space).

I will publish it only if I win... unless I am allowed to publish both for the competition?
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    As I got the weekend off I decided to create a Klingon Version of my Mission 'Inner Space' called 'qoD' logh', (A translation of Inside Space).

I will publish it only if I win... unless I am allowed to publish both for the competition?

think that would qualify as two. Still you could post it and ask the KDF players to try the fed one?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I know this may be a very stupid question, but how do I test the game in a shuttle, I mean in the foundry preview it's now like I have access to the shuttle bridge to switch to shuttle ;_;
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I know this may be a very stupid question, but how do I test the game in a shuttle, I mean in the foundry preview it's now like I have access to the shuttle bridge to switch to shuttle ;_;

You have to go get one at ESD inside the foundry and switch your ship. Click "Play from Beginning" in the story board and then fly to ESD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I went to DS9, brought a shuttlecraft and switched to it, I also have the Original Constitution Class ship to make my screenshots smarter :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I went to DS9, brought a shuttlecraft and switched to it, I also have the Original Constitution Class ship to make my screenshots smarter :D

Thank you! Exactly what I need!

May I ask one more question? I saw in a foundry that the player using a shuttle to go inside an asteroid , but I can't find a ready-made asteroid anywhere in the database. Do I have to make one by putting rocks together or there is one available on a certain map?

Actually I've tried the putting rocks together one but failed...they just don't go to the height I want them to;_;
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thank you! Exactly what I need!

May I ask one more question? I saw in a foundry that the player using a shuttle to go inside an asteroid , but I can't find a ready-made asteroid anywhere in the database. Do I have to make one by putting rocks together or there is one available on a certain map?

Actually I've tried the putting rocks together one but failed...they just don't go to the height I want them to;_;

Rock 01 - XXL

It has a hole in the middle
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Rock 01 - XXL

It has a hole in the middle

You mean the Asteroid-Rock XXL 01? I tried that one but it didn't really work. What I'm looking for is an asteroid with only one open end like the one U.S.S. Pegasus stuck in the TNG episode. I also tried to search for the map used in mission ?Operation Gamma? in which the player go into an asteroid but couldn't find it ;_;
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You mean the Asteroid-Rock XXL 01? I tried that one but it didn't really work. What I'm looking for is an asteroid with only one open end like the one U.S.S. Pegasus stuck in the TNG episode.

I think you'll have to build it.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone