Install Arc
Options

Blizzard to require real names to post on forums

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    MSARGuy wrote:

Personally I wish this would be legal for civilian purchase in the United States:

CTAR

Blakinik
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I pity the fool who goggles me or any of my friends...

some of us do own carry permits.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And some of us are trained veterans of the Infantry.

Unfortunately, the people I live with aren't, and lord knows I tend to anger people. One of those people might be some nut who shows up at my house with a weapon. Its a sad state of affairs when paranoia is the norm, but this is just a reality.

Someone may just show up and threaten your family because of something you did ingame, or on a forum.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    yes, noone was doubting your manliness, folks. sigh.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kyias wrote: »
    I pity the fool who goggles me or any of my friends...

some of us do own carry permits.

+1.

There are plenty of people out there who may have a CCW or simply have firearms to protect their property and families. The idea that someone could get mad enough at their game to go out of their way to seek physical harm on someone is pretty outrageous.

Now, last time I checked, there weren't all that many violent crimes based off of the internet. Sure, it happens, but it's not as likely as simple random violence in your geographic region, unrelated to the internet.

Second, it's an interesting tactic by blizzard, but I think it is probably pointless at the end of the day. Most internet bantering is not flame wars anyway, it's tossing smart assed responses back and forth. Internet tough guy stuff doesn't survive in communities anymore; the community tends to keep it all in check.

Not to mention, you probably can just spoof a name, or a buy a chump account and spoof the info just to post on the forums. Problem solved.

All this is doing is forcibly making people uncomfortable. I could see this as being an option -- but of course, if it's an option, no one is going to willingly do it when very few other people do. Still though, it should be an option. Imposing this on the community is rather fool hearty, and honestly, seems like an emotional response by them, not a logical one.

Sure it'll give legit people pause before pressing enter after going off on someone, but then again, it won't stop trolls from buying a second account (or spoofing their primary) just to post with.

I don't care how tired they are of moderating a community their size, it's just a short sighted decision.... on all fronts; except for their own, of course.

Being a pessimist, I can see lawsuits spawning as a result of this.

EDIT: The kind of sad part is, Blizzard has gotten so big that they can pull stunts like this.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blakinik wrote:
    Personally I wish this would be legal for civilian purchase in the United States:

CTAR

Blakinik

Blakinik, you the man. That would be excellent!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Chalk one up for another bad idea from Blizzard. lol
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You know something is going to happen, and the media is going to have a field day with it. Jack Chick will make a pamphlet about it, and its going to villify people who would rather just play a game.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    How exactly is a gun, licensed or no, going to help someone who gets anonymously screwed to hell and back via identity theft, wrecked credit scores, and any number of other data related nuke jobs that might result from someone getting your personal info?

Cos that's far more likely than someone showing up on your doorstep intending violence.

-np
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ayenn wrote:
    Shouldn't this be discussed on the WoW forums and not here on the STO forums?

I made the earlier post that was locked and perhaps this is an inappropriate discussion for the STO forums but I'm not certain I'm convinced of that. My intention was really not to discuss what is going on WoW but what is going on in the industry and how people who play the games feel about it.

Activision Blizzard is notorious for not doing anything that they feel won't make a profit and they are successful at making a profit so far. That means any game company with common sense will be watching this to see how it works out. While the reason being given for implementing this is anti-trolling most people agree it is something that will support Blizz's effort to promote social networking across all their games by creating personal relationships among players. The forum requirement will force a lot of subscribers to participate in the Real ID networking project or be effectively banned from the forums.

If they are financially successful at this it is hard to believe that every other MMO with forums (especially ones with multiple games) won't be under incredible preasure to do the same thing. While I'm a firm believer in game companies not allowing their forums to run out of control I'm am very unhappy about the prospect that this could become a game industry standard.

Edit: missing word for clarity
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm in favor of this. Put another way, internet anonymity brings out the worst, not the best in people.

Also, I think people have a false sense of how 'anonymous' they really are. Its pretty easy for anyone who wants to, once you post on these boards (especially the people who posted that they store their account information in their browser for easy access to these boards), to get your personal info.

I know that probably scares a lot of people, but its reality, and you should know it. The idea that you're really anonymous online and that people can't access everything you've ever written or posted, and tie it back to you, is a myth.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I am against using real names on any forum. Not only is it a matter of privacy, but hey, its the internet. IF cryptic does end up going by this, then I sure hope that all the Mods, Devs, and any other employee that posts on the forums has to follow this rule as well. But we all know they wont...its Cryptic!

At any rate, there will be 10,000 William Shatner's and Patrick Stewart's on here. I would like to be the first Will Wheaton though lol!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sadly for Blizzard, a date in the courtroom for violating privacy laws will end Real ID.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I wonder how quickly their subscription numbers will drop.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    sovereign wrote: »
    I wonder how quickly their subscription numbers will drop.

I suspect this may be the only thing that will stop it. Unless the 14,000+ negative posts they received today convinces them it's a stupid idea.

For adults there will probably be no legal privacy violation issues since you will need to click an agreement button before you can post on the forums when this is implemented.

I'm really happy Cryptic doesn't have any plans to do this any time soon. I would really be unhappy to feel invited to leave both of the only two games I enjoy.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Didn't say it would end trolling. But if Blizzard's system is going where I think it's going, RealID will hook up to social networking sites... in which case people will get your name anyway. QQ

Well. Linking to social networking sites is only relevant for people foolish enough to present themselves in detail on those (and yes, myspace and facebook prove there are millions of fools).
    How exactly is a gun, licensed or no, going to help someone who gets anonymously screwed to hell and back via identity theft, wrecked credit scores, and any number of other data related nuke jobs that might result from someone getting your personal info?

Cos that's far more likely than someone showing up on your doorstep intending violence.

-np

Quite true.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I for one would never join any Forum where strangers can ferret out my name and other personal details... and I would never volunteer this information!

Hope Cryptic is listening...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Am I the only one that read this and was reminded about the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Am I the only one that read this and was reminded about the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

Dude.... Thanks for the memories :)

Blakinik
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Benfea wrote: »
    To the moderators: I don't know what is the correct forum to post this on, but it is pretty major news in the gaming world and (I think) worth discussion.

Link:
    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25626109041

While I can understand Blizzard's motivation in this (using real names on a forum has a real effect on how people behave), this is a really bad idea. The Internet is full of crazies, and the Blizzard forums get read by a very large number of people. As someone who can be uniquely identified by my real name, I will absolutely not be posting on their forums ever again (I don't play a Blizzard game right now, but will be purchasing Blizzard games in the future).

I disagree with the statement that "the Blizzard forums get read by a very large number of people". It has been shown that around 7% of all the members/subscribers of an MMO actually even read the forums for the games they are a part thereof. Far less are willing to post anything. So, whenever anyone says something like this I have to post and bring in some reality.

Now, as to the idea of using "real names", I think it IS A BAD IDEA for only one reason....identity theft. Once you post your name on the internet for any reason you open yourself up to such things. I would stop posting if it ever came to something like this. I suspect many other would as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    AlphaEcho wrote:
    Sadly for Blizzard, a date in the courtroom for violating privacy laws will end Real ID.

People keep saying things like this, please explain your reasoning, since as far as I can tell this violates no privacy laws that I am aware of. They are not holding you at gunpoint demanding you post your full legal name and address along with social and DOB on their forums. They are simply saying if you would like to post on the games forums you WILL be posting using the full name you used when you created the account. This is really not a big deal, if you are so worried about your identity being stolen/trashed, then do not post on the forums, problem solved. All the doom crying and rabble rousing going on over this topic is really just silly.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I really hope that crashes and burns immediately. It's bad enough people put their entire real lives on Facebook for every stalker to see, now you're going to start putting names and personal info on random forums?

And no, it will absolutely not reduce trolling or flaming or any of that stuff. Even if your name is there, you are still essentially anonymous until some whackjob decides to spend some time Googling your name. Everyone you're talking to is still just a bunch of words on a screen.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like chatting about Star Trek but I am not about to use my real name. For one, the nature of ones job might make a public name a very bad idea. No one in law enforcement would ever post under their real name. I have a friend (not me) who has a high degree of fame and he enjoys gaming. Why would he want to get pestered by fans when he's just trying to save the Federation from the Borg.

There is way more to consider than just trying to keep people polite.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

-np

Absolutely true. But if you notice, a majority of the reactions are based around crazies and murderous rampages.

I was just saying, hey, if you're that scared, get some firepowar!

I mean, you gotta be ready for the 2012 zombie invasion, anyway. Right?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    People keep saying things like this, please explain your reasoning, since as far as I can tell this violates no privacy laws that I am aware of. They are not holding you at gunpoint demanding you post your full legal name and address along with social and DOB on their forums. They are simply saying if you would like to post on the games forums you WILL be posting using the full name you used when you created the account. This is really not a big deal, if you are so worried about your identity being stolen/trashed, then do not post on the forums, problem solved. All the doom crying and rabble rousing going on over this topic is really just silly.

Welcome to the New World Order that people said did not exist. Sadly, how wrong they are.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't believe that this will happen.

There are some strict laws about disclosure of credit card information, which is essentially where this information would be coming from. All it will take is one person to sue and this won't happen.

Requiring players to disclose their real names is a good idea - in theory. People act like psycho-nutcases on the internet because no one knows who or where they are. The problem is that Blizzard is springing this on people 6 years into the deal.

Besides, anyone with a brain will just edit their account information. Their real name will suddenly become H.R. Puffinstuff, and they'll just pay with game time cards. What's Blizzard going to do then?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ....Besides, anyone with a brain will just edit their account information. Their real name will suddenly become H.R. Puffinstuff, and they'll just pay with game time cards. What's Blizzard going to do then?
    This isn't allowed. It was originally prohibited to keep people from selling game accounts. New accounts can probably be setup with fake names but the 12 million existing accounts are stuck unless you provide a birth certificate, or marriage certificate, or some other form of documentation and an explanation of why the change.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DES_SNIPER wrote: »
    Welcome to the New World Order that people said did not exist. Sadly, how wrong they are.

Well, you know everyone loves the nWo.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Forcing me to use my real name would totally stop me from posting.

I have a family and kid etc. I have already had my share of "Basic Instinct" women and other crazies. Real name make it too easy for them to find You irl. No way I'd want that. Especially not for a game. It's not that important to me, I'd rather stop playing the game then.

The way it work now I can give my information to whom i chose that I feel I know well enough and it's only my onw responsibility if I'm wrong.

I wonder if by forcing people to do that, Blizzard can be held liable for any stalking You may encounter irl as a result for this ???
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lord.Funk wrote:
    Forcing me to use my real name would totally stop me from posting.

I have a family and kid etc. I have already had my share of "Basic Instinct" women and other crazies. Real name make it too easy for them to find You irl. No way I'd want that. Especially not for a game. It's not that important to me, I'd rather stop playing the game then.

The way it work now I can give my information to whom i chose that I feel I know well enough and it's only my onw responsibility if I'm wrong.

I wonder if by forcing people to do that, Blizzard can be held liable for any stalking You may encounter irl as a result for this ???

I use my real name (and photo) on the forums as, although they are public, I keep my comments (or nearly all) within forum guidelines (as do everybody else). Why should I worry? It's hardly like there's only one Matt Dawson....;)
This discussion has been closed.