test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Senate House/Starbase Construction

ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
So, I'm assuming the base of operations for the new faction will be on or above New Romulus. Obviously there will be a new social zone for the Rommies. Would be neat to see it being constructed leading up to the release on May 21st. Could be done in phases at different points during the build.

A huge Senate House would be ideal and in keeping with canon. Watching Rommie workers scurry about at the staging area. Could even tie it in with the rep mission there where we motivate the lazy workers into doing something. However, I wouldn't mind seeing Cryptic's take on a massive Romulan starbase.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

Post edited by ravin on

Comments

• Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    IMHO it doesn't make sense that as a romulan you need to not only create a romulan fleet but start the entire starbase over again including all the silly special projects.
    But that is me. Why would anyone want to do that?

I think a romulan character will have the opportunity to join a fed or kdf fleet in progress.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We don't have a great deal of information yet, but it doesn't look like the new Romulan faction will be related to New Romulus. D'tan calls his faction the New Romulan Empire, the player faction is being called the Romulan Republic.

There's a bit of speculation here, but it sounds like they're going back to what we know about Sela's conflicts with the Romulan Senate, suggesting it's not a separatist faction like New Romulus but a proper revolution looking to return to the pre-Sela government.

Specifics remain to be seen, but if that is the case, it makes sense for them to have their own starbases, but also their own embassy on New Romulus. Already engaged in a war with the Empire proper, even if they are not friendly to New Romulus or the Reman rebellion, they only stand to lose by making enemies of them. At the worst they could not reconquer the separatists until they've broken Sela's powerbase and reunified the empire itself.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    IMHO it doesn't make sense that as a romulan you need to not only create a romulan fleet but start the entire starbase over again including all the silly special projects.
    But that is me. Why would anyone want to do that?

I think a romulan character will have the opportunity to join a fed or kdf fleet in progress.

This has nothing to do with the Fleet Starbase or projects. It's about the player social zone like ESD or the First City.

At any rate, whatever or where ever this base may be, would be a nice teaser to see it being built.
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Fleet

• Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulans should have their very own starting area like Feds do with Sirius and KDF has with Omega Leonis. This will provide for an exclusionary zone where the other two factions have to use Diplomatic Immunity or Raiding Party in order to enter the sector. It also will lead to Romulans having some sort of DI/RP ability like say Subterfuge or Reconnaissance.

Within this new sector should be the Romulan Republic capital home world with some sort of Academy type location and above the surface an orbiting space dock.

The player starts out and levels up thru 10 or 11 in the starting sector before being thrown to the wolves out in the greater expanses of the galaxy. Top end missions will probably have the Romulan player attempting to bring D'tans group back into the fold.

Please keep in mind that Cryptic will probably be making the Romulan faction based on a template that will also be used for any other future factions.

And despite what I've thought and written before here in the forums, Cryptic IS going to take the chance of adding additional factions with "full" content - in the "build it and they will come" type of mindset.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    3 factions = 3 starbase designs and all ..

we, the Romulans are already prepared to start up out base and finish it without delay
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    Romulans should have their very own starting area like Feds do with Sirius and KDF has with Omega Leonis. This will provide for an exclusionary zone where the other two factions have to use Diplomatic Immunity or Raiding Party in order to enter the sector. It also will lead to Romulans having some sort of DI/RP ability like say Subterfuge or Reconnaissance.

Within this new sector should be the Romulan Republic capital home world with some sort of Academy type location and above the surface an orbiting space dock.

The player starts out and levels up thru 10 or 11 in the starting sector before being thrown to the wolves out in the greater expanses of the galaxy. Top end missions will probably have the Romulan player attempting to bring D'tans group back into the fold.

Please keep in mind that Cryptic will probably be making the Romulan faction based on a template that will also be used for any other future factions.

And despite what I've thought and written before here in the forums, Cryptic IS going to take the chance of adding additional factions with "full" content - in the "build it and they will come" type of mindset.

Ooops, hadn't thought about the "Faction Exclusive" sector block before. However, I do remember hearing about Cryptic possibly opening up these Sector Blocks to the other factions, leaving Sol and Qo'Nos unaccessible to the other factions.

Well, next on the block should be the Cardassians, but I'm sure that's waaaay down the line.

So should it be a Starbase, or Senate House?
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Fleet

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Should be a starbase. KDF and Fed starbases aren't government buildings, they're military installations. The senate would be a higher authority than any player or fleet, like the Federation Council or the Klingon High Council.
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm going to laugh if Romulans get a New Romulus embassy.

Yo dawg, I heard you like Romulans. So I put a Romulan embassy on New Romulus so you can be Romulan while you're with Romulans.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    Should be a starbase. KDF and Fed starbases aren't government buildings, they're military installations. The senate would be a higher authority than any player or fleet, like the Federation Council or the Klingon High Council.

The KDF social zone is the First City located on Qo'Nos, not a starbase, well, it has a partial starbase, actually it's more like a space dock. the First City does include Government Areas, so I wouldn't think it a stretch to have the Romulan Senate with a bit of a surrounding city to be the social zone.
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Fleet

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Wait , I think people are still misunderstanding me here. I am not talking about the Fleet starbases, I am talking about the faction's main ingame social area. You know, like the Feds have Earth Spacedock, and Starfleet Academy. KDF has The First City and it's Academy.
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Fleet

• Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »

Yo dawg, I heard you like Romulans. So I put a Romulan embassy on New Romulus so you can be Romulan while you're with Romulans.

It would make more sense for the playable Romulans to get some sort of hidden encampment from which to change clothes and begin to blend in with the citizens of New Romulus in order to "help" with the building of this brave new world while learning how best to undermine the leadership or entice them back into the fold. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The KDF social zone is the First City located on Qo'Nos, not a starbase, well, it has a partial starbase, actually it's more like a space dock. the First City does include Government Areas, so I wouldn't think it a stretch to have the Romulan Senate with a bit of a surrounding city to be the social zone.
    Ok, fair enough, we're flopping back and forth between two different sets of terminology here and I lost a turn there, we're not talking about the same thing.

I already addressed that, but the Romulan players aren't New Romulus. New Romulus is a separatist faction, the Romulan Republic appears to be loyalist or revolutionary (depending on your perspective) within the Star Empire itself. The only thing they share with New Romulus is the fact that both are making themselves enemies of Sela and the Tal Shiar - they are still separate governments and very separate belief systems (New Romulus leadership is openly reuinificationist, the Romulan Republic may not be actively oppressive to reunificiationists, staying in the RSE strongly precludes that belief at the leadership level).
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Since the social zone needs to accommodate both Romulans and Remans and since Nomulus is the only place where they currently co-exist, it seems pretty likely that Nomulus is going to be their 'home' no?
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Remans should obviously be dumped into a dark pit far away from proper citizens. That's the most liberal treatment conceivable... Basic rights and all that. :)

---