test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the Exchange broken?

reptilesbladexreptilesbladex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I would first like to start by saying if this is in the wrong place I am sorry but I am not sure where else it should go.

I love Star Trek Online. This is the first time in my life I have actually found a game that lets my live out the fantasies I had when I was a kid watching TNG. I have been a player for almost two years now and overall love this game.

The reason I am posting this is because I am having trouble with an anomaly I have discovered about the Exchange. I do not know if I am just doing something wrong, if this is a bug, or if it is working or rather not working as intended. The exchange appears to be giving completely different search results for the same items depending upon certain categories chosen. I am always searching for the same item on the exchange even in the same space station yet the prices do not match up. I will use Bateret Incense as an example because that is how I discovered this.

If you search for Bateret Incense under All with Any quality you get a single unit price of 50k and stacks up to a full 250 unit stack for 8 million.

If you search for Bateret Incense under All with Rare Quality you get a single unit price of 20k up to 60k with a handful of stacks of only two units. No stacks larger than that.

If you search for Bateret Incense under Commodities with Any quality you get a single unit price of 8,200 up to 40K a single unit with only a handful of stacks with only two units in them again with no larger stacks. (I was seeing a unit price as low as 7,500 but after logging out and back in I can no longer find it.)

If you search for Bateret Incense under Commodities with Rare quality you get the same thing again as with Commodities Any quality.

All of this was noticed at Earth Space Dock.

If I list something to sell, where does it go and how is that decided? There is nothing I see that lets you choose where your items get placed and under what categories when you list them to sell so it must be automatic or random. I have constant trouble listing items for days and even weeks at a time for what the Exchange is telling me is a low price and it will never sell. Even when something does sell it appears to be random. I am aware that things on the Exchange do not sell unless another player buys them. I know how it works, or at least is supposed to work, but that is not the results I am getting when I use it.

Any help or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by reptilesbladex on

Comments

• twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Was it ever not broken?

Always use category search when buying, the general search only seems to find overpriced things that have already been for sale for at least 4 days.

You can't even find these silly overpriced items in category searches, sometimes, because those only go up to 400 items, cutting off anything priced above the 400th.

Very broken, not expected to be fixed any time soon. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it fixed, and it annoys me to no end, but devs have pretty much stated that it's not top priority, because it'd be a pain in the hiney to fix, and most people already know and use the workaround anyway.
  • vezznavezzna Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah I noticed that the other day. I was looking to sell my first item and wanted to search to get a ballpark figure and when I searched under "all" there were only a few, but then searched under "rare" and there were a ton of them at throwaway prices....didn't make sense so I just vendored everything instead.
  • bonwatnambonwatnam Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have noticed this too. its probably down to string handling and matching. As far as I can tell, items you post have a chance of showing up, but its more like a lottery.

till cryptic fix the exchange, only searching using various filters and comparing to find the lowest prices is the only option players have. Best to click search 2 or 3 times, as output can vary even with the same search perimeters.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Yes, the exchange is broken. Never use the "ALL" tab and try to use as accurate searches as possible, but realize that some of the search options give completely nonsensical results. It used to be a lot worse though. No 'price per unit' searches, no different categories for Duty Officers, etc.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The exchange is broken since months, maybe a year, can't remember the exact update.
    Some people made a lot of money using this bug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkkindness2darkkindness2 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    The exchange is broken since months, maybe a year, can't remember the exact update.
    Some people made a lot of money using this bug.

The Exchange search function, which the OP was having problems with, has been broken since the game released.

As other posters suggested, avoid using 'All' whenever possible. There are a few items that exist only in the 'All' category (CXP bonus pools, skill bonus pools, and the like), but for everything else, you should search inside the specific category that contains the item you're looking for.

Also, the more expensive items didn't necessarily get lost in the more specific searches, they were probably just pushed off the list by all of the additional lower priced items that were found in the more specific search. If you want to see higher priced items that may still be a good deal in a flooded category, use the 'Sort by Price per Unit' option - that will give the cheapest items on a per unit basis first (e.g. if there's a stack of 250 Contraband at 8,750,000 and the next cheapest contraband is 40,000 per unit, it'll show the stack first).

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009:
    kain9prime wrote: »
    IDIC fail.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, here is a new one. A couple of days ago I noticed that I actually got the most results putting in the name of the item, and using the ALL filter, and I believe a rarity. Bottom line is that in order to find all the items, I am now searching 3 times instead of 2 to be certain I have the lowest price.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The really sad part is that database searches are not exactly a case of boldly going where no man has gone before. Granted, an MMO presents certain unique challenges of continuous updating, but this is all stuff that has been done before. Many, many times before.

I personally just avoid "All" and make my searches as specific as possible. Apparently my customers are doing the same, because my stuff seems to sell. OTOH, I never sell anything stackable, so that's a whole category of problems I never have to deal with.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A minor thing that bugs me is Fleet Ship Modules being listed under Data Samples for some completely random reason.

Really should have their own tab, like keys.

And yes, the "All" function is totally useless.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dear reptilesbladex,

You are beating a dead horse. This has been a problem with the exchange for a long long time. It has been reported and complained about many many times.
    It is best to use the search filters such as Rank, Rarity, specific category such as Personal Equipment>Personal Devices, etc. to get the cheapest prices in the results.
    I'm sorry the exchange is broken and hopefully one day it will be fixed.

Sincerely,
    Someone who sympathizes with
    with you.

P.S. If it ain't broke, Cryptic will break it. If it's already broken, Cryptic will break it even more. Have a nice day. :)
  • alax2011alax2011 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would first like to start by saying if this is in the wrong place I am sorry but I am not sure where else it should go.

I love Star Trek Online. This is the first time in my life I have actually found a game that lets my live out the fantasies I had when I was a kid watching TNG. I have been a player for almost two years now and overall love this game.

The reason I am posting this is because I am having trouble with an anomaly I have discovered about the Exchange. I do not know if I am just doing something wrong, if this is a bug, or if it is working or rather not working as intended. The exchange appears to be giving completely different search results for the same items depending upon certain categories chosen. I am always searching for the same item on the exchange even in the same space station yet the prices do not match up. I will use Bateret Incense as an example because that is how I discovered this.

If you search for Bateret Incense under All with Any quality you get a single unit price of 50k and stacks up to a full 250 unit stack for 8 million.

If you search for Bateret Incense under All with Rare Quality you get a single unit price of 20k up to 60k with a handful of stacks of only two units. No stacks larger than that.

If you search for Bateret Incense under Commodities with Any quality you get a single unit price of 8,200 up to 40K a single unit with only a handful of stacks with only two units in them again with no larger stacks. (I was seeing a unit price as low as 7,500 but after logging out and back in I can no longer find it.)

If you search for Bateret Incense under Commodities with Rare quality you get the same thing again as with Commodities Any quality.

All of this was noticed at Earth Space Dock.

If I list something to sell, where does it go and how is that decided? There is nothing I see that lets you choose where your items get placed and under what categories when you list them to sell so it must be automatic or random. I have constant trouble listing items for days and even weeks at a time for what the Exchange is telling me is a low price and it will never sell. Even when something does sell it appears to be random. I am aware that things on the Exchange do not sell unless another player buys them. I know how it works, or at least is supposed to work, but that is not the results I am getting when I use it.

I heard that the ALL search is for items that is about to be reterned to sender aka they been on the exchange too long and get put on the "ALL" tab to try to get them sold, if they dont sell on that tab (think its 3 - 4 days) they get sent back to the sender in there mailbox saying "Item expired"