test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kill count Change in PVP not mentioned in Release Notes

starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 718 Arc User
edited February 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Kill count Change in PVP not mentioned in Release Notes. Why was this not mentioned in the release notes?
Post edited by starmanj on

Comments

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    starmanj wrote: »
    Kill count Change in PVP not mentioned in Release Notes. Why was this not mentioned in the release notes?

It was added this morning: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=8356761#post8356761 and http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=569851

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    LOL Brandon you must had just added that on the Launch game Release notes;)
  • nibinrognibinrog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    starmanj wrote: »
    LOL Brandon you must had just added that on the Launch game Release notes;)

Not at all surprising. Seems to be the norm lately, to "slip in" an extra change or two at the last minute (usually a change which upsets a lot of people).
  • lirdeklirdek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    just keep doing this Cryptic;

You are on the right path to sink the game since I've been thinking lately this is what you are looking for.

just keep toying with your playerbase...
  • warbird001warbird001 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Once again, Cryptic try to make changes again. You think they would have learned from the Fleet Mark debacle. Plus this was not added this morning at all, I checked the patch notes BEFORE the game went down for maintenance and this "small change" was not included which means that Cryptic added it while the server was down.

I really cannot say anything else... you just think Cryptic would learn from their mistakes...
    edited February 2013
    nibinrog wrote: »
    Not at all surprising. Seems to be the norm lately, to "slip in" an extra change or two at the last minute (usually a change which upsets a lot of people).

It resolved an exploit, so it needed to be added in after maintenance started. Some players were lowering settings to the lowest counts and receiving rewards reserved for much longer gameplay. You can still participate in private matches and earn credit for the dailies and repeatables, but matches must be kept at the default settings or higher.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • alepinimbabralepinimbabr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ridiculous...!

Just ending the game...
  • warbird001warbird001 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It resolved an exploit, so it needed to be added in after maintenance started. Players were lowering setting to the lowest counts and receiving rewards reserved for much longer gameplay.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

There was no exploit and PvP Private matches have counted towards the daily since the Private PvP system has been released. A lot of fleets use the Private Challenge System to practice PvP against each other and have to look forward to no rewards now. We are being forced to go into PvP against JHAS and other elitist fleet combat to get our dilithium.

This is completely unacceptable.
  • mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can agree with the action, it just seems as another timing faux pas. Stepping on your own crank is becoming a habit. Once again, I understand and agree with the action taken, but there are folks out there just waiting to pounce on any hint of last minute "nerfs" or "ham-fisted" changes. Maybe this could've waited one more patch to avoid all the forum drama. Oh wait, its pvp, never any drama there lol.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can understand cryptics pov... for once on this one.. thnaks to the pvp thing that was built by cryptic.. therefore its something they overlooked... people are now multi billionares.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What *is* it about scaling rewards you people at Cryptic can't grasp on your own? It's really not that complicated a concept. I don't see any reason you can't just reward less Dil for matches that are set to fewer kills.

15 kills is way too many for a head to head match. I can't even imagine who finds that fun.

I can't stand PvP in general as it manages to encompass virtually every elitist snob trend that make video games unbearable, but even so, you can't really think this was going to sneak in under the radar this way without creating more problems than it solves. For goodness' sake.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
    edited February 2013
    It resolved an exploit, so it needed to be added in after maintenance started. Some players were lowering settings to the lowest counts and receiving rewards reserved for much longer gameplay. You can still participate in private matches and earn credit for the dailies and repeatables, but matches must be kept at the default settings or higher.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

"It resolved an exploit"

If that were the case, why was this not "fixed" months/years ago? The system has been set up this way since launched, and you are just now getting to fixing such "exploits" ? You've got to have known that the exploit existed before now.

Other MMOs are quickly "hotfixed" when exploits of a certain magnitude are detected. So either this wasn't an exploit, or it was deemed "acceptable" until now.
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Another one they seem to have stealth-patched:
    The possibility to use the dil store anywhere to sell stuff for ec at the 50% rate (under the ship equipment->hanger items->sell tab)

That that worked was clearly an oversight, but boy was it a handy one ^^
    edited February 2013
    warbird001 wrote: »
    There was no exploit and PvP Private matches have counted towards the daily since the Private PvP system has been released. A lot of fleets use the Private Challenge System to practice PvP against each other and have to look forward to no rewards now. We are being forced to go into PvP against JHAS and other elitist fleet combat to get our dilithium.

Please make no mistake -- you can still practice PvP through the challenge system, you just need to complete 15 kills (example for Arenas) if you want to be rewarded for it. If you set it to 5 kills, for example, you can still run the match, but it won't count towards the daily. The dailys' rewards are designed to be rewarded based off 3 completed matches that have more than 5 kills, 10 station health, 100 capture points, etc. per match, meaning the default settings we've always had.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nibinrog wrote: »
    "It resolved an exploit"

If that were the case, why was this not "fixed" months/years ago? The system has been set up this way since launched, and you are just now getting to fixing such "exploits" ? You've got to have known that the exploit existed before now.

Other MMOs are quickly "hotfixed" when exploits of a certain magnitude are detected. So either this wasn't an exploit, or it was deemed "acceptable" until now.

Or perhaps with recent up-grades to the Game Engine, it became possible to easily rectify the problem... ? ...

Naahh... I don't believe that one either...

;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited February 2013
    Please make no mistake -- you can still practice PvP through the challenge system, you just need to complete 15 kills (example for Arenas) if you want to be rewarded for it. If you set it to 5 kills, for example, you can still run the match, but it won't count towards the daily. The dailys' rewards are designed to be rewarded based off 3 completed matches that have more than 5 kills, 10 station health, 100 capture points, etc. per match, meaning the default settings we've always had.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

rubbish.. this is just some plan to force us to buy dilithium for the useless starbase projects.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    it was an exploit. a straight-up exploit. it's baffling how there are so many replies from players trying to rationalize otherwise.

exploit, fix it.
    bug, fix it.

anyone play final fantasy xi? remember the banhammer of 2009? yeah, they fixed an exploit that was going on for years by many of the faithful veterans of the game. they knew of the exploit, secretly spent a year collecting data on who was abusing it, and patched the exploit, placed countermeasures, and banning hundreds if not thousands of hardcore endgame-focused paying customers.

be lucky that you guys weren't reprimanded in any way whatsoever.
  • thefastone21thefastone21 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tehjonel wrote: »
    it was an exploit. a straight-up exploit. it's baffling how there are so many replies from players trying to rationalize otherwise.

exploit, fix it.
    bug, fix it.

If it had been here for a week or two.. I would agree.... but its been here since season 4? .. thats over what? year and a half? ... like the socalled hacker who got into cryptics database and they didnt tell us until last year?

The only ones who will suffer from this.. is them... if they want to take back all the EC earnt from grinding pvp... well... a lot more people will suffer.
    edited February 2013

exploit, fix it.
    bug, fix it.

As I do not engage in PVP activities very often (due to it being utterly broken in STO), I don't see where this threat of reprimand, is necessary to this thread.

Yes exploits exist. Yes exploits should be fixed. But if this specific case was indeed an exploit, I have yet to hear, WHY it took so long to fix it. This so-called "exploit" has been in the game for several seasons now (dating back atleast 1-1.5 year). Most exploits when found, are fixed within a matter of days, possibly weeks. We're talking about YEARS for Cryptic to fix this "exploit".
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Generally I regard Cryptic's patches in the way one regards a horde of barbarian raiders rampaging through my village: sure, they might make some beneficial changes along the way, but there is a serious probability that they're going to break everything in the process. So far, however, everything in this patch appears to be working as intended, and all the changes listed are fantastic. Take a step back from your reflexive rage, and realize that Cryptic just fixed 3 exploits without harming anybody except for the exploiters. I'm withholding judgment until a day or two have passed and we have time to see if anything new got broken, but from what I've seen so far, today's patch is one of the best I've ever seen.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I understand why it was done... It was for all those adverts in zone chat to do naked pvp by stripping off your gear and dying real quick to make fleet marks and dilithium just like they were doing with the clickies in the foundry. It's understandable they want to stem the tide of this behavior and its beneficial to the true PvP crowd. PvPers don't want these guys invading PvP now to ruin their game play. I don't have a problem with this... PvP doesn't take long anyways to do it right and the rewards are good for a normal PvP match.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
    edited February 2013
    Let me also say I don't agree with stealth patching though...
  • vykorprimevykorprime Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    if you can still grab the daily via private matches, this doesn't actually fix the exploit. Instead of AFK'ing for 5 kills they will just AFK for 15 kills, etc.

Also, I'd rather you encourage the people aiming for the daily reward to do their own short private matches for their daily, than to AFK through 15 kills in a public PvP queue and ruining the experience for everyone else on their team.
    edited February 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    Or perhaps with recent up-grades to the Game Engine, it became possible to easily rectify the problem... ? ...

Naahh... I don't believe that one either...

;)

I just think it's gotten more publicity and wider abuse now with the nerfing of the foundry and blatant zone chat advertising to exploit the pvp system. I think they were content to fix it with the overhaul of pvp in the future until the latest game changes occured.
    edited February 2013
    pvp in the future

Lol good one.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    guriphu wrote: »
    Generally I regard Cryptic's patches in the way one regards a horde of barbarian raiders rampaging through my village: sure, they might make some beneficial changes along the way, but there is a serious probability that they're going to break everything in the process. So far, however, everything in this patch appears to be working as intended, and all the changes listed are fantastic. Take a step back from your reflexive rage, and realize that Cryptic just fixed 3 exploits without harming anybody except for the exploiters. I'm withholding judgment until a day or two have passed and we have time to see if anything new got broken, but from what I've seen so far, today's patch is one of the best I've ever seen.

Very funny and somewhat truthful description. It does provide a charming mental image to Stahl, Bort and the rest of the crew :)
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    warbird001 wrote: »

You can still get your rewards as long as you set at least 15 kills for arena and 60 for assault. I guess everyone will switch to arena farming, it won't take really longer.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited February 2013
    vykorprime wrote: »
    if you can still grab the daily via private matches, this doesn't actually fix the exploit. Instead of AFK'ing for 5 kills they will just AFK for 15 kills, etc.

Also, I'd rather you encourage the people aiming for the daily reward to do their own short private matches for their daily, than to AFK through 15 kills in a public PvP queue and ruining the experience for everyone else on their team.

I agree with you. If someone was using their laptop and their desktop to do five kills on two toons to get their rewards they are not going to do it in a private queue anymore. They are just going to join a public queue and sit there for 15 kills and most likely it will go faster.
  • radkipradkip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hahaha, all the people saying this will "sink the game". Get real. 8k a day is easy to get, exploit or not. This is a *good* change.

Actually, hell... I could probably still level up my alts in this fashion fairly quickly. Just not as quickly. 15 kills in arena goes by quickly if you put your mind to it.

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
    kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
  • kyuui13kyuui13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    this "exploit" was created by them, the players used the match system as designed to maximize their rewards for time. Again, if they were concerned with it so much, 1 why put it in, in this fashion, and 2. Why not fix the "exploit" much sooner?

Answer, its costing them money. Plain and simple greed folks. nothing more nothing less
    This makes me laugh. Be lucky they played the game the way they designed it, until it costs them money, now all of a sudden its an "exploit"

Its not an exploit, its a money loss. DIL is money for them, if they can't tightly control it, they loose money, Cryptic has proven, they will do ANYTHING and everything to protect their money stream. its in the metrics after all.

Again, Like the IOR, Cryptic designed the system, put it in, then put rewards on it that can be maximized for time. Now that its costing them money, they will remove it, as an "exploit"

For the record, this has been "exploited" by many as far back as the days of Marks.

Stop blaming the players cryptic, its you, you made it, you put it in. Why is it suddenly the players "exploiting?"

Because you're losing money.

I find it odd that the last 2 exploit fixes involve your money stream. Interesting that.

For the record, I don't PvP in cryptic games, they're way to unbalanced for that.
    Next time you log in, ask yourself this.
    dastahl wrote: »
    If you can't have fun, then what is the point?
This discussion has been closed.