test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are (Purple) Romulan Tac Embassy BOFFs WAI?

ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Are Romulan Embassy BOFFs WAI?

Maybe I misunderstood the release notes:

• Updated Romulan Traits:
    • Renamed the Covert Operative traits to Romulan Operative to avoid it being confused with the "Covert" trait.
    • The Basic Romulan Operative, Romulan Operative, and Superior Romulan Operative traits now can stack with themselves if the player has multiple Bridge Officers with the same trait.
      • For example, having two officers with Romulan Operative will now provide the combined bonuses from both officers.
    • Decreased the critical hit chance provided by the Basic Romulan Operative, Romulan Operative, and Superior Romulan Operative traits to 1%, 1.5%, and 2%, respectively.
    • The Basic Romulan Operative, Romulan Operative, and Superior Romulan Operative traits now also provide a slight increase to critical severity.
      • The increases are 2.5%, 3.75%, and 5% Critical Severity, respectively.

I thought this meant there would be a scaling crit % on the Romulan Tactical Boffs like this:

Green = 1%
Blue = 1.5%
Purple = 2%

However purples do not grant any crit %, they have the trait that the Eng & Sci Boffs have (Superior Subterfuge)

Why do only the green and blue Rom Tac boffs offer crit percentages?

Is this WAI or is this bugged/broken?
Post edited by ussultimatum on

Comments

• maakurmaakur Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    WAI. The purple boffs not having any Operative traits and the Superior version being on a blue is because literally "[t]hese traits were assigned randomly"

per http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8233721&postcount=75
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lol - a roll for what 18 BOFFs?

i hope they fix it! at least the very rares..

also, the very rare's crit/dmg boost after decloaking has NO NUMBERS attached!
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The rare one is by far the best. Now if we could stack the same BO multiple times and give them uniforms.....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited March 2013
    maakur wrote: »
    WAI. The purple boffs not having any Operative traits and the Superior version being on a blue is because literally "[t]hese traits were assigned randomly"

per http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8233721&postcount=75
    I believe you misunderstood what the he said.

He is referring to the random traits that the Romulan BOFF has OTHER than the Operative trait.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8239551&postcount=79
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I thought this meant there would be a scaling crit % on the Romulan Tactical Boffs like this:

Green = 1%
    Blue = 1.5%
    Purple = 2%

You thought wrong. Rarity (color) only affects the total quality of traits. Look at every other BOff.

That said, it's weird that none of the VRs even have the Operative trait.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    You thought wrong. Rarity (color) only affects the total quality of traits. Look at every other BOff.

That said, it's weird that none of the VRs even have the Operative trait.

These aren't any other boffs.

They cost 80,000 dilithium each and have a space trait that only 2 ships fed side can even make use of - both of which are now outdated & outclassed.

Yeah I guess I'm crazy for thinking that a BOFF that has an effective value of nearly 900 zen at current prices would have some kind of a logical design with trait progression to correspond with their tier progression.

Silly me.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was under the impression that there was some sort of application to Mask Energy Signature, but I've never bothered cloaking even when I had a ship with a cloak, so I dunno.

Eh, let the KDF have it, they don't have anything else. :P
    edited March 2013
    shookyang wrote: »
    I believe you misunderstood what the he said.

He is referring to the random traits that the Romulan BOFF has OTHER than the Operative trait.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8239551&postcount=79

I won't beat this into the ground, but I think it's reasonable for at least the following reasons to interpret Archon's posts as indeed laying out that the Romulan Operative trait was assigned randomly --

First, in the original post the full sentence is: "These traits were assigned randomly; the fact that Tactical BOFFs ended up with Romulan Operative was a consequence of random allocation with a small sample size." Everything after the semicolon strongly implies that RO was randomly allocated. If RO wasn't being allocated randomly, that half of the sentence wouldn't make any sense; there's no way some officers (and not others) ending up with RO could be "a consequence of random allocation" without random allocation.

Second, in the post you cite, Archon talks about "a short list generated of possible trait combinations." But even if RO's appearance is a consequence of generated combinations and not single-variable generation, it's still necessarily random. I cannot randomly distribute different combinations of apples and oranges without necessarily distributing apples randomly and distributing oranges randomly.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    These aren't any other boffs.

They cost 80,000 dilithium each and have a space trait that only 2 ships fed side can even make use of - both of which are now outdated & outclassed.

Yeah I guess I'm crazy for thinking that a BOFF that has an effective value of nearly 900 zen at current prices would have some kind of a logical design with trait progression to correspond with their tier progression.

Silly me.

Expecting logic from Cryptic.

You really should know better by now, unfortunately.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm sorry to interfere yoyu guys, but where can i get some information about those BOFFs?

the wiki says nothing, and i am surely don't spend rediculus amounts of dilithium just to find out that i may won't use them at all.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited March 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    I'm sorry to interfere yoyu guys, but where can i get some information about those BOFFs?

the wiki says nothing, and i am surely don't spend rediculus amounts of dilithium just to find out that i may won't use them at all.

What specifically are you trying to look up? The Crit/Crit Magnitude info?
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Expecting logic from Cryptic.

You really should know better by now, unfortunately.

I don't want to harangue the devs, and I appreciate Archoncryptic looking into the matter.
    edited March 2013
    What specifically are you trying to look up? The Crit/Crit Magnitude info?

Any information would be helpful, since i just know that there are romulan BOFFs at the Embassy availlable.

What traits does this BOFF have, maybe any special hard to get ailities?
    Is it possible to change its appearance, like the Borg BOFF for example?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    edited March 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    Any information would be helpful, since i just know that there are romulan BOFFs at the Embassy availlable.

What traits does this BOFF have, maybe any special hard to get ailities?
    Is it possible to change its appearance, like the Borg BOFF for example?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8107271&postcount=70

You cannot customize their appearance, much like the Borg, Breen, and Jem'Hadar boffs (to name a few). Apparently they look pretty ugly, although I don't own one and a picture someone linked once is now 404'ing.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks. :)

Wow, "Passive. +1.5% critical chance, +3.8% critical severity" and "Passive. +2% critical chance, +5% critical severity" seems a bit OP for me.
    78000 for the "Upgrade Recruitment Facilities I" seem a bit too expensive for my little solo fleet, especially just for one BOFF. lol.
    Everything in this game seems to be aimed to get your money, it's no longer funny anymore...

No matter, many thanks for the info..

A tale of two Picards
  • archoncrypticarchoncryptic Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just a couple quick notes here.

-Subterfuge is being updated in a way that will make it somewhat more applicable to ships that do not use Stealth. This should help add a lot of value to those purple BOFFs that have Superior Subterfuge. Keep an eye on Tribble.

-We are still discussing adding more Romulan BOFF variants, but there's no ETA on this.
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited March 2013

-Subterfuge is being updated in a way that will make it somewhat more applicable to ships that do not use Stealth. This should help add a lot of value to those purple BOFFs that have Superior Subterfuge. Keep an eye on Tribble.

-We are still discussing adding more Romulan BOFF variants, but there's no ETA on this.

Can we get some Crit increasing traits on Alien or Andorian/Klingon BOffs? Some of us would like to actually use faction BOffs on their ships... ;):eek:
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
    edited March 2013
    Can we get some Crit increasing traits on Alien or Andorian/Klingon BOffs? Some of us would like to actually use faction BOffs on their ships... ;):eek:

Alternatively, let folks modify the costumes. Having five of the same guy running your ship gets rather annoying very quickly.
  • shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited March 2013

What about the Operative BOFF? Have you figured out the problem with them?
    edited March 2013

Just a wild guess, they are going to have very unique Abilities, especially neccessary for cruiser captains... ?

A tale of two Picards
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I personally though the boff requisitions were broken.

Basic Romulan Operative (Does not exist)
    Romulan Operative (In the green requisition and unlocks a blue boff)
    Superior Romulan Operative traits (In the Blue Requisition and gives the Purple boff)
    No Purple requisition with this trait

As far as I'm concerned I'm just happy I got a purple boff for cheaper then what it should have been.I'm pretty sure the Basic should be on green, regular on blue and Superior on the teir 3 requisitions.