What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulans are coming...?

daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
So ... uhh..

Rommies??

Pleaseohpleaseohplease....

I've been waiting/wanting/begging for a Romulan faction since closed Beta...

:eek:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hehe.... you're not alone there. but we don't know yet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    First patch will upgrade KDF Big Time !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, yes they are coming. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't want them, or is too much of a conspiracy theorist in that they believe it's some great Cryptic hoax. Ignore these people.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    All signs point to yes, but nothing's been stated outright.

Now sit back, relax, and wait for "Romulan Faction Thread #8642947".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They wouldn't be the only ones coming by the sound of it. o.O
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is something about Romulans in the May update, but whether it is a playable Romulan faction is not known. All I know is that if they introduce a playable Romulan faction without completing the KDF faction will cause a lot of KDF players to be seriously ticked off.
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The teaser page would suggest, yes, a playable Romulan faction is coming.
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Once KDF is a viable faction....
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Pretty sure it's gonna be an announcement of officially "working on Romulan faction", as well as a possible timeline for development and testing cycles.
    But yeah, you could technically say ,"Romulans are coming", and not be wrong.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    even if the romulans do become playable, you won't be playing them, they'll be playing you. thats how they operate. their sad faces and furry pets aren't fooling anyone...
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    blevok wrote: »
    even if the romulans do become playable, you won't be playing them, they'll be playing you. thats how they operate. their sad faces and furry pets aren't fooling anyone...

As it should be... ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is something about Romulans in the May update, but whether it is a playable Romulan faction is not known. All I know is that if they introduce a playable Romulan faction without completing the KDF faction will cause a lot of KDF players to be seriously ticked off.
    Being ticked off is futile. Besides KDF is fine as is. It's in a better state than the Feds were in season 3. Yeah, the KDF WAS in need of serious help back then. WAS..... Truthfully Cryptic leaves faction developement in a rather open ended state as is. they never actually "finished" the Feds either. So... a half-done RSE will be par for the course. I for one am eager for it. Half-done or not it'll be something new to do!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Preaching to the choir here my friend....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Romulans may or may not be coming. We haven't been told for sure. There's evidence both ways, but nothing is concrete.

Me personally? I'm siding with the optimists and thinking it's a faction. Nothing wrong with optimism as long as you're prepared to be wrong, and I'm fully aware it could also be an FE + other sizable additions.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Its either that of Ferengi
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Its either that of Ferengi

The text under the spread "wings" are:

"March Beneath the Raptors Wings" ...

How would that have anything to do with the Ferengi?
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    daemonheld wrote: »

They bought a giant marching bird, duh.
    <3
  • Options
    bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the playable Romulan faction is not coming because the KDF isn't complete and there would be a lot of rage coming from the KDF side. Also, Cryptic (hopefully) realizes that the majority of its playerbase wants to play FED. I'm personally betting on redone Romulan storyline, so it can fit better with New Romulus (namely the reformation of the Romulan Empire). I've played a few recently, and they don't fit at all with Romulans being diplomatically allied with the Federation (and Klingons, too).

For those of you saying stuff about the Ferengi, the logo that's on top of the text is a raptor, which mean's it's Romulan. Unless the Ferengi are somehow twisted into this somehow (but I don't think one could get that from the text).

Finally, just to throw this out there, the "March beneath the Raptor's Wing" is a direct reference to Vulcan's Time of Awakening (link to Memory Alpha and a link to Romulan history). During this time, the new "Romulans" (still technically Vulcans) left Vulcan to create their new world still based off of emotion. It's also about the formation of the Romulan Empire. So (if it isn't already semi-obvious), I think we'll see the storyline primarily revolving around the reformation of the Romulan Empire.

I suppose with that in mind, there is a very small chance we'll see a playable faction. But I think the most (if anything) we'll see is playable Romulan for KDF and FED.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps the Ferengi bought the Romulans on E-Bay, er I the grand material contunuim.

PS when are you guys going to get that people saying Ferengi are doing so tongue in cheek? Its a joke ;D
  • Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's been said before that (paraphrasing here) "KDF is not a profitable faction to propose a third faction is out of the question."

I wanna say it was Dan who said this some time ago, but you may wanna search the forums for the post as I've lost track of it.

I don't see there being a third faction at all. KDF needs far too much work and to think they would sacrifice even more manpower to develop a third faction seems pretty ridiculous.

It takes a lot of time to develop a faction. Not a few months. We're talking a good year. Just look at KDF. It's been 3 years and still that faction is very much incomplete.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    All I know is that if they introduce a playable Romulan faction without completing the KDF faction will cause a lot of KDF players to be seriously ticked off.
    What doesn't TRIBBLE off KDF players? I'd swear that if the devs implemented the KDF wishlist, KDF players would still find reason to cry. They're worse than Ferengi, and probably should all be permabanned for being such spineless warriors.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »
    It's been said before that (paraphrasing here) "KDF is not a profitable faction to propose a third faction is out of the question."

I wanna say it was Dan who said this some time ago, but you may wanna search the forums for the post as I've lost track of it.

I don't see there being a third faction at all. KDF needs far too much work and to think they would sacrifice even more manpower to develop a third faction seems pretty ridiculous.

It takes a lot of time to develop a faction. Not a few months. We're talking a good year. Just look at KDF. It's been 3 years and still that faction is very much incomplete.

They've also (in the past) had polls, to get feedback from the player base, on what faction would be created. Romulan won by a decent margin (if memory serves). I believe it was also stated, on numerous occasions going back into closed beta (that would fall under the 'years ago' header), that they WOULD like to add the Romulan Faction if they had the time/resources to do so.

As far as "incomplete" .. Yes there are those in the KDF that will complain, and rally against the creation of another faction until "the KDF is completed." The problem with that is... there are varying opinions as to what would constitute "complete" depending on who you ask. Not to mention that after three years, they are continually adding new content for the Federation, making it, incomplete as well. No faction will ever be "complete" in an MMO with continued development.

Do you honestly believe that PWI wouldn't be able to make additional income off of selling RSE Ships and costuming? If there's an opportunity to make money, I'm sure PWI wouldn't turn up their nose at the creation of the Romulan faction..
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Do you honestly believe that PWI wouldn't be able to make additional income off of selling RSE Ships and costuming? If there's an opportunity to make money, I'm sure PWI wouldn't turn up their nose at the creation of the Romulan faction..
    Would they be able to maintain the faction as profitable? Would they even recoup the investment of developing the faction off the initial sales rush?

I'm sure if that same survey was offered, but without KDF being in the game, and KDF was an option, then KDF would have dominated the voting; we already see that being the overwhelming favorite for a new faction does not equate to financial success.

Hopefully they do something better for Romulan vessels than they did with KDF, and find a better way to dress the ability to use a cross-faction ship without actually having to launch a full-blown faction. Because to me, that's really all the KDF amounts to; a cover for letting players use Klingon ships. I'm sure there's a better solution, one which is more financially sound while also being acceptable from the perspective of the STO universe (because let's face it, this really isn't cannon, but that's alright with me).
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Just joking obviously

... but have not noticed the Ferengi get there hands on the new hips to sell for profit?

I highly doubt there has been enough time to create a whole Romulan faction. Probably a Romulan playable race as part of the KDF. ;)
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »

Your arguments are valid, provided the assumption that Cryptic hasn't been working on the RSE for some time know. We simply don't know for sure, but we can infer that since the team is much larger than it used to be, their capabilities have increased as well.

They know fans want a Romulan faction and if this tease is anything but, they know they're in for a world of hurt.

Mark my words: Romulan faction.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The problem with that is... there are varying opinions as to what would constitute "complete" depending on who you ask.

The General consensus (pun intended, cause KDF characters are all GENERALS! Hah!) is that the faction needs to be accessible at character creation without opening up a fed. Needs to be able to be levelled from 1 to 50. That's really the big sticking point. And is something that the Incomplete KDF at least has a quorum on.
    Not to mention that after three years, they are continually adding new content for the Federation, making it, incomplete as well. No faction will ever be "complete" in an MMO with continued development.

That's semantics. The KDF isn't asking to be "complete" in the way this comment suggests. They are asking to have the level gaps in their faction filled out. The end-game or elder game or whatever your average MMO developer wants to tag "what do I do now that I hit level cap?" portion of this game has been equitably developed for both factions since Season 1. The gripe is that KDF characters had to level a Fed first (originally to 6, now much higher) to even access the KDF. And that the KDF didn't have a 1 to 50 cycle of content to actually level through. At 50 the game's been even for ages. There are quibbles that the KDF gets copy-paste versions of Fed missions. But that's just minor quibbling. And to suggest that the Feds are "incomplete too" really does a disservice to the disparity that the KDF wants addressed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There is no confirmation we are getting a playable Romulan faction in May.

All you people are doing is spreading rumors. Most players don't read the forums but the ones who do tell people in game what they "read" on the forums.

What's going to happen in May when the big update hits and we don't have a playable Romulan faction, or at least species? People are going to get pissed and start screaming "Cryptic promised we would get playable Romulans! :mad:". Then what? Some players are going to take it as the truth and quit the game because they didn't get what was actually never promised to come in May.

It is possible we may bet at the very least a playable Romulan species and later a whole faction. But for now I'm looking at the teaser page and guessing we will be getting "something" that involves Romulans and nothing more until Cryptic reveals more info on the subject.

So please, don't jump to conclusions and take what you read on the forums with a grain of salt. There is no evidence yet either way until Cryptic says so.

Besides, I think they want to "finish" the KDF faction first before creating a new faction, giving the KDF a full level 1-50 content with a new full tutorial for new characters, and adding things like KDF version of all the various story episodes the Feds have, or most of it.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Besides, I think they want to "finish" the KDF faction first before creating a new faction, giving the KDF a full level 1-50 content with a new full tutorial for new characters, and adding things like KDF version of all the various story episodes the Feds have, or most of it.

But quite a few of those things have been in the pipe for some time now. Season Seven was pretty big all things considered, and the now have double the team, and double the time that Season Seven was. So I'm pretty hopeful.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    They've also (in the past) had polls, to get feedback from the player base, on what faction would be created. Romulan won by a decent margin (if memory serves). I believe it was also stated, on numerous occasions going back into closed beta (that would fall under the 'years ago' header), that they WOULD like to add the Romulan Faction if they had the time/resources to do so.

As far as "incomplete" .. Yes there are those in the KDF that will complain, and rally against the creation of another faction until "the KDF is completed." The problem with that is... there are varying opinions as to what would constitute "complete" depending on who you ask. Not to mention that after three years, they are continually adding new content for the Federation, making it, incomplete as well. No faction will ever be "complete" in an MMO with continued development.

IIRC the poll question was "What type of content do you want to see in 2013?"

Romulans beat the Klingons...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing