test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proposal: Playable Human Captain

tomin8rtomin8r Member Posts: 201 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Curious as to what everyone thinks about this.
Post edited by tomin8r on

Comments

• k022#6452 k022 Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There already is playable humans...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think OP means a Human on the KDF side. This could work, there are already Human Doffs.
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For me, Human should be Fed-only. If you can find canon examples (even in-game ones, which isn't "real" canon*) of a Human in the KDF that isn't a DOff or a BOff, I'll maybe change my mind.

I definitely think we need more races to pick from, but Humans... not for me, sorry.
    mondoid wrote: »
    I think OP means a Human on the KDF side. This could work, there are already Human Doffs.
    You can't give a faction a captain race based on the fact DOffs are available of that species. If you could, we'd also have access to Bolian, Tellarite, Cardassian, Reman, Jem'Hadar, Tholian, and loads more.

*Such as the Ferengi standing around in the First City being justification for KDF-playable lobe-bearers.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    vitzh wrote: »
    Maquis on KDF side.

Maquis were freedom fighters, If anything I'd imagine any future versions would be involved in guerilla actions AGAINST the Klingon Empire.
  • corgatagcorgatag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a couple of KDF Aliens that basically look human. Is that not enough?
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a Joined Trill KDF tac as a compromise ... in a Krenn Temporal Destroyer. How's that for something different ;)
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why not TOS klingons instead

Better than human in ALL respects
    Live long and Prosper
  • vitzhvitzh Member Posts: 519
    edited February 2013
    Maquis were freedom fighters, If anything I'd imagine any future versions would be involved in guerilla actions AGAINST the Klingon Empire.

Actually the Maquis hate the Federation NOT the Klingon Empire as the Klingons actually supported the Maquis and supplied them. The Maquis do not have beef with Klingons, quite opposite. They would more likely see them as allies against the Federation who they see as their true enemies.

So yeah, get it into your head not everyone likes the Federation Collective and there are Federation Separatists.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I say add "augmented" Klingons with smooth foreheads. Give them a space trait that's on par with leadership. Maybe a Klink version of Covert Operative with the bonuses to crit chance and damage.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dma1986 wrote: »
    For me, Human should be Fed-only. If you can find canon examples (even in-game ones, which isn't "real" canon*) of a Human in the KDF that isn't a DOff or a BOff, I'll maybe change my mind.

I definitely think we need more races to pick from, but Humans... not for me, sorry.

Riker was "temporarily" Captain of a Klingon Bird of Prey. Originally assigned as an Exchange Officer, and First Officer of the ship, he assumed the role of Captain, after it's original Captain was relieved for having plotted to destroy the Enterprise. A rather cowardly act, from a supposed ally, wouldn't you say?

Humans for KDF? Why not... We already have Klingons for FED.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    meurik wrote: »
    Riker was "temporarily" Captain of a Klingon Bird of Prey. Originally assigned as an Exchange Officer, and First Officer of the ship, he assumed the role of Captain, after it's original Captain was relieved for having plotted to destroy the Enterprise. A rather cowardly act, from a supposed ally, wouldn't you say?

Humans for KDF? Why not... We already have Klingons for FED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_officer

"An exchange officer is a commissioned officer in a country's armed forces who is temporarily attached to a unit of the armed forces of another country."

Riker was not part of the KDF.
    He did not wear their uniform or insignia.

As opposed to Worf who was an actual Starfleet officer.

I'm also for augmented Klingons.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would sooner get augmented Klingons, especially as there is mention of them in the Fed story line already with B'vat and Miral Paris.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dma1986 wrote: »

Well you can't find canon examples of Orions, Nausicans or Gorn in the KDF either... Canon was out the window before launch...

Dont use it

You can't give a faction a captain race based on the fact DOffs are available of that species. If you could, we'd also have access to Bolian, Tellarite, Cardassian, Reman, Jem'Hadar, Tholian, and loads more.

The FED already have playable Klingon captains... It's in the C-Store... Go check if you don't belive me... They were introduced along with the Ferengi a week after launch.

Yet we don't have Gorn, Nausicans or Orions either...

STO wise, your argument is (sorry) invalid

*Such as the Ferengi standing around in the First City being justification for KDF-playable lobe-bearers.

Answers above in orange, spoken from a FED player.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited February 2013
    anazonda wrote: »

We have TWO sources of background for STO:
    Trek Canon and "The Path to 2409" (STO's own canon).
    How the Gorn, Orion, Nausicaan etc ended up with the KDF is explained in the latter.
    So is how the Klingons and Ferengi ended up with the Feds.
    So there is an extended "canon" reason for how things are in STO.
    There is none for humans so your argument "canon went out fo the window" is not valid in itself.
  • jaadorjaador Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The guy from the faction populated mostly by boring copypaste human male tac officers in Mass Effect armor makes a good point, there's no reason why the KDF shouldn't also become populated mostly by boring copypaste human male tac officers in Mass Effect armor aside from all the background lore reading that he didn't do.
  • howiedizzlehowiedizzle Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jaador wrote: »
    The guy from the faction populated mostly by boring copypaste human male tac officers in Mass Effect armor makes a good point, there's no reason why the KDF shouldn't also become populated mostly by boring copypaste human male tac officers in Mass Effect armor aside from all the background lore reading that he didn't do.

This is so sad and true it's not even funny... If your ship name is "U.S.S. Normandy" or your character's name is "CommShep", "Commander John Shepard", or any variation there-of... Just stop playing... It's really, really sad... And embarassing...
  • corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A compromise would be to have an independent playable faction. You could be anyone you wanted (including species) and basically have a line up of all new ships never before seen! After all, its a civilian faction so who knows what designs could exist. We could even pick our ship from some ship graveyard and build it up the way we want, thus allowing us access to certain types of klink and or fed ships. Kinda like the Maquis I suppose but without being restricted only to those type of ships.

The ships could be some of the most powerful in the game with one very important distinction... any klink or fed side ship could open fire on us in any part of of the STO universe map if they so chose! One, maybe even three would fail dismally providing you built your ship right but five or more ships could actually just take you out if they chose.... of course, you are allowed to fire back if your attacked.

Sometimes I just wish the game was more open to possibilities and the reality of space fairing adventures... :rolleyes:
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Actually the Maquis hate the Federation NOT the Klingon Empire as the Klingons actually supported the Maquis and supplied them. The Maquis do not have beef with Klingons, quite opposite. They would more likely see them as allies against the Federation who they see as their true enemies.

So yeah, get it into your head not everyone likes the Federation Collective and there are Federation Separatists.

Not entirely true they distrusted the federation for not helping them against the cardassian threat which they saw before the federation did. In the books some of the marquis eventually joined back up with the federation after the dominion war. Most of the marquis wanted to take the law into there own hands pretty much like space age vigilanties
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013

The Maquis were fighting the Cardassians, so yeah, I'd expect them to get help from anyone and everyone that would benefit from that. But, if they were put into STO the big enemy would be the Klingon Empire. Mostly because it would likely be the Klingon Empire that would be occupying Fed worlds. And while I agree that not everyone likes the federation and are right to feel that way, it was never a case of the Maquis hating the federation as an enemy. I suggest you watch some of DS9 or peruse Memory Alpha to get a bit more insight into the Maquis.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    any klink or fed side ship could open fire on us in any part of of the STO universe map if they so chose! One, maybe even three would fail dismally providing you built your ship right but five or more ships could actually just take you out if they chose.... of course, you are allowed to fire back if your attacked.

I would like to see this as normal gameplay if your in enemy space or disputed space you can fire on the opposite faction for a star trek game there isn't much emphasis on the kdf/fed war
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sure make it a store unlock like the klingon on the fed side.Even of my humans fed side I only have two I think didnt care to much for the traits so most of mine both sides are just alien that looks human.

Would like to see TOS and or Augment Klingons think the Augments might be a bit of a strecth tho considering how the research involved never really took off.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    We have TWO sources of background for STO:
    Trek Canon and "The Path to 2409" (STO's own canon).
    How the Gorn, Orion, Nausicaan etc ended up with the KDF is explained in the latter.
    So is how the Klingons and Ferengi ended up with the Feds.
    So there is an extended "canon" reason for how things are in STO.
    There is none for humans so your argument "canon went out fo the window" is not valid in itself.

Canon is by definition what is shown on screen... I could not care less what some money hungry Atari leech was after when he made up a story based on no Star Trek knowlege what so ever...
    jaador wrote: »

Not sure if trolling or...

EDIT: Actually... By now I am not even sure why I keep trying to support the KDF faction...

People like you just make it "not worth the efford"...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well humans could try join the KDF if they wanted, but cant imagine them getting far in the ranks :P

But following the c-store description of the Federation faction Klingon unlock, it states something like 'not all klingons follow the empire'.. using that logic, not all federation citizens would be loyal to the feds.. statistically speaking, there would be at least SOMEONE who would want to join the KDF, even if it is an angsty teen, like what was seen in the VOY episode where b'lana screws with the doctors perfect holo-family.

Personally i dislike the idea of klingons in the federation, and gather the only reason its there, is for people to have their 'worf' cosplay. (i mean at the time, worf was an oddity). Again, personally i would prefer if the factions were kept DIFFERENT, to keep the playstyles unique/different, but (sorry for sounding like a kdf scorned) if the federation players want something unique to the KDF slap a pricetag on it and let them run wild!, if the kdf want something, e.g. a player species with handy traits like on a human, then NEVERZ!

(edit) I have no idea where i picked up the hybrid idea, but hey maybe its worth considering :D (edit)
    As for hybrids there's nothing to say that during the peace time of FED-KDF that there would be some human-klingon hybrids living on qunos and working for the Defence Force, but hybridism is something that doesn't exist in this game (yet :P)
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Didn't DS9 say that the Maquis were utterly decimated by the Dominion after Cardassia joined them? Well apart from the ones that intergrated with Voyagers crew for obvious reasons.

Plus rather than adding humans to the KDF to pander to someones need to RP a human in the KDF or whatever I personally would rather they actually show some attention to the existing KDF races who have been long ignored like the Letheans and the Nausicaans as well as fixing a lot of outstanding issues with the Klingons themselves.
  • jaadorjaador Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not sure if trolling or...

EDIT: Actually... By now I am not even sure why I keep trying to support the KDF faction...

People like you just make it "not worth the efford"...
    If your attempts to "support the KDF" involve talking down to players of a faction you don't play with incorrect information because you've decided that the in-game canon, which is textually shown on screen, is not actually canon since it doesn't support an agenda that the players of the faction in question don't agree with, then we neither need nor want your "efford."
  • ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013

This. Thumbs up! Weren't some of the Maquis also seperatist Vulcans?
    edited February 2013
    Canon is by definition what is shown on screen... I could not care less what some money hungry Atari leech was after when he made up a story based on no Star Trek knowlege what so ever...

The whole thing was written by Christine "Kestrel" Thompson...you know who is NOT a hungry ATARI leech...;)
    Otherwise she'd probably no longer be working for Cryptic.

I respect you and like to read your opinion, whether we disagree or not.
    But did you do your reseach on this one?
    edited February 2013
    Personally i dislike the idea of klingons in the federation, and gather the only reason its there, is for people to have their 'worf' cosplay. (i mean at the time, worf was an oddity). Again, personally i would prefer if the factions were kept DIFFERENT, to keep the playstyles unique/different, but (sorry for sounding like a kdf scorned) if the federation players want something unique to the KDF slap a pricetag on it and let them run wild!, if the kdf want something, e.g. a player species with handy traits like on a human, then NEVERZ!

Worf was an oddity in TNG, but became a truly beloved character in DS9.

What I would prefer is a non federation aligned human group, maybe disenfranchised fed citizens that do not believe the course the federation has taken is the right one. It could be a more generic "Alliance" style of sci fi humans, maybe even have more "human" spaceship designs.. BIG, BLOCKY, and with lots of BIG HONKING SPACE GUNS!!! And most importantly without silly things like the Prime Directive (fun fact: fed citizens are not bound by it) or a need to always prove their saintlyness to others. Basically a group made up of real people lol.