Install Arc

Cats & Dogs (and Werewolves)

Comments

• nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    And if OP is, why would it matter?

Because they have no real objection, other than "ermergerd, ferries"

There are plenty of examples of beings that evolved from creatures other than primates in Star Trek. And even if there weren't any "in canon" what difference does it make?
    They can't have shown the races of the entire galaxy in the shows.
  • terongrayterongray Member Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Kinda disappointing that some people, who play a game that is based on a franchise that is about cruising the stars discovering new forms of alien life, are so quick to sink into personal bias and prejudice. As stated, furries are here, there are alot of them, several fleets worth. Even have bronies for crying out loud.

If you don't want it yourself, you simply don't use the species for your character or crew. Your personal feelings shouldn't deny others from being able to play how they want to when it wouldn't impact you aside seeing them en-passe. It's actually quite child-some and selfish to even act in such a way.

As I said before, it would quite easily be a couple grand in sales if Cryptic offered more furred, feathered, or scaled species options as either stand alones or a 'Alien' overhaul addon at a decent price. It would be a sound and logical business move for them.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    With the Romulan Faction practically confirmed

wtf are you talking about? no romulan faction has been 'practically confirmed' by any stretch of the imagination. the only thing romulan related that has been confirmed is something involving sela. that by no means implies a faction.
    With all these people assuming a romulan faction, they will whine so hard when they'll release 5romulan featured episode, with Sela inside, we will hear their screams even on others games forums.

sad but true. people get stupid when they get it in their heads that they are getting something that is nowhere near close to coming. thats why rumors like that are dangerous
    Anticans join the KDF, Sehlat join the Romulans

uhh... sehlats are those big cat looking things vulcans keep as pets you know
    If you don't want it yourself, you simply don't use the species for your character or crew. Your personal feelings shouldn't deny others from being able to play how they want to when it wouldn't impact you aside seeing them en-passe. It's actually quite child-some and selfish to even act in such a way.

i'm seeing a pattern here of people doing this: making such ignorant comments and framing them as insulting, belittling comments. 'I want what I want and you're childish if you don't want it' yes it very much does impact everyone, because it impacts the game. 'don't use it' is not an excuse
    As stated, furries are here, there are alot of them, several fleets worth. Even have bronies for crying out loud.

absolutely irrelevant and as far as furries go, its considered a sexual fetish. the last thing this game needs is to give any hint as to catering to any kind of sexual fetish. implied or otherwise
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah. I meant Selay.

I'd like Selay in the Romulan faction, Anticans in KDF (they value honor and eat live food), and Grazerites for Feds.

I'll add that the one Grazerite we saw (Fed president) was bald and goat-like. But the expanded stuff like the Decipher RPG suggested younger ones have fur and cow patterns.

I think CBS would probably jump at Cryptic deciding to expand Grazerites, Selay, and Anticans. I remember something Stahl said a long time ago that CBS actually suggests Cryptic flesh out the little seen species.

Grazerites, I think, could probably share Caitians' facial hair. They could have horns. (Most sources I know of say they have horns. The Fed Pres was very covered up, likely for budget reasons.) It would probably appeal to the Tauren WoW players if Cryptic's take placed the Fed pres on the VERY old and VERY frail side of the spectrum and introduced beefier Grazerites with fur. Cryptic has always had a large furry base. (Probably why anti-furry comments are banned here among other reasons.)

Give the Romulans the cold blooded snake people (Selay), KDF the loyal and ferocious dog people (Anticans), and Feds the noble, vegetarian, serene but stubborn farm animals with horns (Grazerites). I think it fits...

... And I also think it would work well as a species three pack.

Species normally run 600 ZEN each now. BOs run 500.

So have it include KDF Anticans, Rom Selay, Fed Grazerites, a Chef DO that sells you food themed for all three, and a robe costume for all factions at, say, 2k Cryptic Points. And unlocking them gives you access to Bridge Officers of all three species for dilithium.
    edited February 2013
    absolutely irrelevant and as far as furries go, its considered a sexual fetish. the last thing this game needs is to give any hint as to catering to any kind of sexual fetish. implied or otherwise

This digresses from the OP's topic, but I'll curb the flawed logic here. That statement is your personal opinion and conjecture; catering to 'them' is bad, catering to 'you' is good. 'Furries' are just a subculture of people, with additional subcultures within it. Anthro creatures have been around since ancient times, check your mythology. By your logic, people who like comics and attend comic-con, or say like sci-fi and attend those events, are also just sexual fetishists.

Back to the topic, variety is good, options are good, and people like what they like. Giving people more options for species to be, is an easy way for Cryptic to get a number of them to open their wallets where they otherwise may not, if done right. The Xindi are a decent reference, as are other bestial species over the course of the franchise. Broaden the scope of the universe, rubber forehead aliens can only be changed up so much before they get stale, where as the entire animal kingdom lies ready to offer influence.
    edited February 2013

Not all furries are into the fetish culture (there's significant debate over the term; some self-described species just like animal characters or fantasize about being half-animal)... and Cryptic has specifically labeled furries a protected group that aren't to be bashed on the forums.

I'm not one but I think they've always been a big part of Cryptic's core customer base and that Cryptic is generally pretty happy to cater to furry fandom.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To those who dislike this suggestion, have you ever thought that some of the "furries" may just be people who like animals? And not people who do the unmentionable things on those websites?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wtf are you talking about? no romulan faction has been 'practically confirmed' by any stretch of the imagination. the only thing romulan related that has been confirmed is something involving sela. that by no means implies a faction.
    What we know about Season 8 / The next big update:

1) It's Romulan-focused.
    2) It involves Sela.
    3) It has a unique page dedicated to it (no previous Featured Episode Series had that).
    4) The next update is suppose to be one of the biggest yet.
    5) Whenever the question is asked to Devs, they either ignore or, or reply with a cryptic (no pun intended) answer. If it wasn't to be, then a resounding 'No' would solve the issue, leaving people to wonder what else it would be. They know people want a Romulan Faction, and they've focused this next Season around Romulans. If it isn't to be the faction then they're idiots, and (as much as people whine and moan about Cryptic) they're not idiots.

I'll come back to this thread at the end of May and allow you the chance to acknowledge my comment and reasoning. Of course, you'll probably be flying a Warbird then, and I'll be able to say "I told you so". :)
    These species may be a sexual fetish TO YOU, but not everyone wants to have them so they can whip out their external organs and crack one off. Amazingly there are those of us that desire such just because they look cool.
    So... LYRANS!
    The Lyran are from the Starfleet Academy Game and thus wont likely be seen here. Same goes for the Hydran.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There have been several... things.. in the foundry that sorta lean towards the romulan faction idea.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited February 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    There have been several... things.. in the foundry that sorta lean towards the romulan faction idea.
    I'm not a Foundry Member. Would you care to enlighten us?

PS: I quite believe it too.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    flash525 wrote: »

The Ferasans have never been in canon Trek either, nor has an actual Icionian. We've never seen Starfleet and Klingon captains flying around in Ferengi Marauders or Cardassian Cruisers either (in canon).
    Kirk was seen flying a BOP in a few of the films and wasn't Sisko captain a Jem Hadar ship in a DS9 episode
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    Kirk was seen flying a BOP in a few of the films and wasn't Sisko captain a Jem Hadar ship in a DS9 episode
    I didn't mention a Bird of Prey or Jem Hadar Attack Ship. I said a Ferengi D'Kora and a Cardassian Galor.

I chose the ships I mentioned for a specific reason.

Thank You. :)
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    True but since we have seen captain other ships doesn't mean that another captain has never been seen in a marauder or galor or even a breen ship or captured the latter two ships during the dominion war.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cantoneverettcantoneverett Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    While I don't support adding an Anthropomorphic species just because the other factions have one, I can certainly see reason for some other species joining / allying with the Romulan faction.

- The Suliban: Their home system is already in the Tau Dewa sector block, and there's no generic patrol mission there, suggesting that Cryptic may be saving it for something else. Plus, the Suliban are relatively similar to the Romulans in some ways - spies, infiltrators and so on, they were forced to be nomadic when their homeworld was rendered uninhabitable, and they already have cloaking devices of their own!

- The Xindi: The xindi are another species who lost their homeworld, and were last seen looking for a new one. Devs have mentioned that we may see the Xindi again in a new update, and there are already Xindi duty officers available. Plus, by making the Xindi a part of the romulan faction, you can greatly expand the variety of choices without making the faction politically complicated, since the Xindi are basically five species in one!

Romulans, Remans, Hirogen, Suliban, and the five Xindi species (or four if the Xindi-Insectoids are too different for the engine to render), plus the generic Alien race: That seems like plenty for a faction!
    edited February 2013
    While I don't support adding an Anthropomorphic species just because the other factions have one, I can certainly see reason for some other species joining / allying with the Romulan faction.

- The Suliban: Their home system is already in the Tau Dewa sector block, and there's no generic patrol mission there, suggesting that Cryptic may be saving it for something else. Plus, the Suliban are relatively similar to the Romulans in some ways - spies, infiltrators and so on, they were forced to be nomadic when their homeworld was rendered uninhabitable, and they already have cloaking devices of their own!

- The Xindi: The xindi are another species who lost their homeworld, and were last seen looking for a new one. Devs have mentioned that we may see the Xindi again in a new update, and there are already Xindi duty officers available. Plus, by making the Xindi a part of the romulan faction, you can greatly expand the variety of choices without making the faction politically complicated, since the Xindi are basically five species in one!

Romulans, Remans, Hirogen, Suliban, and the five Xindi species (or four if the Xindi-Insectoids are too different for the engine to render), plus the generic Alien race: That seems like plenty for a faction!

That's a really strong idea where the Xindi go. In general, I support adding them because they make for more diverse crowd shots in social zones without absolutely wacky slider values.

A different head to me is subtle and Treky. (And I think normal species could use slight head customization improvements by relaxing slider restrictions on faces and having more better prefabs as well as multiple scars and wrinkle overlays.) Animal species tend to have fairly humanoid proportions (unlike wackier custom aliens) but also remind you this is a sci-fi setting.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sheesh. You furry haters are just as bad as the furries themselves. This is why things like Starfleet Dental exist. This is why we can't have nice things. :(
    edited February 2013
    Incidentally, I didn't notice...

Is Neverwinter's beta stuff now considered open? Because I have something I want to say but it requires being able to talk about NW.
    edited February 2013
    Incidentally, I didn't notice...

Is Neverwinter's beta stuff now considered open? Because I have something I want to say but it requires being able to talk about NW.

Considering there are NW Beta videos all over youtube, I would assume yes.
    edited February 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    True but since we have seen captain other ships doesn't mean that another captain has never been seen in a marauder or galor or even a breen ship or captured the latter two ships during the dominion war.
    Except, those commandeered vessels were used for specific roles. Kirk had lost his ship, and Sisko needed to get into enemy territory.

The purpose of these aliens vessels flying through the STO universe does not warrant such usage compared to Trek lore. There is no better argument for these than there is for an anthropomorphic species.
    You're concerned about Xindi Insectoids yet seem to think there would be no problem playing as an Aquatic? :P
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't dare say anything is better than nothing, but Cryptic has little to loose by expanding the options available for more therianthropic aliens. They have some more stylized elements in STO's sister MMO, so they should atleast be roughly familiar with such a project.
    edited February 2013
    Personally, I want a race of bear people to be added, so I can name one Baloo, name his ship the "Space Duck" and paint it yellow. :D
    edited February 2013
    Personally, I want a race of bear people to be added, so I can name one Baloo, name his ship the "Space Duck" and paint it yellow. :D

I forgot I totally was going to name my Vo'quv the Iron Vulture.
    edited March 2013
    terongray wrote: »
    I forgot I totally was going to name my Vo'quv the Iron Vulture.

Awesome. Now all we need is a race of wolf people and we can be nemeses. :D
  • hdoggyhdoggy Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm betting the Hirogen and possibly most if not all Xindi species are included in the Romulan faction.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    First, I noticed in reading the previous post that someone said Caitan/Fersan are not canon. This is incorrect. A unnamed cat person species was seen in ST: The Undiscovered Country. The dancer on Khitomer with three TRIBBLE that attacked Kirk and got thrown in the fish tank was a cat lady(ahem) so it is logical to assume there is a cat like race in Star Trek canon.

As for werewolves? No way in all hell! Do that and then what? Sparkly vampire boys and girls from Forks, Washington?! No. This is Star Trek. Want to play "Masqurade"? Go play another game.

We have a half Developed KDF faction that needs development. Isn't it enough that Cryptic has not continued KDF development and now intends to devote resources to a playable Romulan faction? Said Romulan faction isn't even out and already people are asking for more. What percentage of the player populace are going to leave their Fed and KDF captains and roll brand new Romulan character? 5%? Generously, I will say 8%. No one will want to grind out yet another Romulan flavored fleet base.

No. Romulans and Remans. That's it. No more.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Wow, that's a neat Space Bear.

Where is that from?
    edited March 2013
    Not outright werewolves but a lupine race is soft-canon as part of the Breen Confederacy, and TNG had several more animalistic races, including serpents.. I'd throw my money at the screen if a wolven race was announced. My stance is why stop there, this is the Galaxy full of species, some could be of non-primate design.

As for a Romulan faction, if it happens, it'll happen. And no amount of Klink tears will prevent it.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sheesh. You furry haters are just as bad as the furries themselves. This is why things like Starfleet Dental exist. This is why we can't have nice things. :(

I know this comment is several days old, but I must ask. Do people think every person who plays an animal-like character is a furry who engages in wrong acts?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • blagormblagorm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    They could also serve as a counterpart to the Gorn (being generally well-built and strong).

What say you?

welll a new actual scaled alien will be nice.. I mean like your alien can't have scales which makes no sense cause it is an ALIEN not a skined 100% boring mesh covered stick of mud! Fur would be nice as well for aliens... in all your problem can be fixed by allowiung FUR and SCALES to Alien costumes
    R'tolves Will Spread Thier Peace and Will Prevail Over the Hostiles Who Dare Hurt Such A Isolationist Consitutional Monarchy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]