test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How about CIVILIANS as the third faction?

124»

Comments

• oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It was, curious how folks views have changed on the subject now we have the first new faction, and an Idea on how cryptic would go about adding it.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Just something that dawned on me, as there's been quite a bit of discussion on how the civilian faction would get the good gear as they're not military, I believe I may have come up with some viable methods.

Black Market, piracy (I believe someone might have mentioned this one), infiltrating the bases of the main factions like raiding parties to loot them or even doing something really dangerous like taking on Borg vessels to ransack Borg technology (that last one being almost a small STF and potentially requiring teaming up with other players to succeed).

It opens up a whole swath of new options for the game. Raiding starbase's of other factions could happen in the social zones just to liven things up a bit. Exploring random systems could potentially be anything from nothing being there to a flotilla of trade ships to board, loot and take captives from.

Also, it could unique in that, instead of having career paths, you simply become a civilian. Potentially, you could carry over some skills from your previous occupation but gain new stuff in place of things that wouldn't be valid anymore. In ground skills for example, threat generation might be replaced with something like 'Negative threat' seeing as a civilian wouldn't be considered as dangerous as military personnel.

This could even be merged with a liberated Borg faction like some have asked for, as who says every liberated Borg joins the military? It could also explain why the civilian faction is willing to take on Borg ships for technology if they have liberated Borg to lead the process?

Finally, on how civilians would work with fleets, what if they had some kind of unique benefit, such as being able to produce provisions in small quantities? Just throwing it out there.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think I already posted in here, months and months ago, but I still like this idea as the closest we'll ever get to a Maquis faction. Anything that lets us fly kitbashed raiders and crappy fighters and jury-rigged freighters would appeal greatly to my need for a modern Privateer, Escape Velocity, or Freelancer, and there's already plenty of justification for this in Trek canon.

Here's an idea: let players of the "civilian" faction take missions for/against all three of the other "official" factions. Raid this, scout that, smuggle these, etc. Play all sides against the middle.

This would also be a great opportunity to make Gold-Pressed Latinum a thing that matters. Right now I'm just using it to acquire crazy amounts of disco balls.
    Relax.