test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

+1 failing.

2»

Comments

• ericphailericphail Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I dislike being dropped into a failing (or completed either way) instance of a queued (or even not queued - looking at you borg red alerts) fleet action/stf as much as the next person.

However I agree with most commentators here that you probably ought to put at least 2-5 minutes of effort in to see if you can recover/win it (Unless it's currently unwinnable* without more reinforcements which you can never count on).

*eg. Infected ground with only 2 members.

The only time I actually dropped out of an STF was an infected ground (I'd been there the whole time) after about the 5th failed attempt at Rebecca with only 3 of us which had become nearly soul destroying given we seemed almost unable to coordinate button pressing.

I do feel entering, seeing a bad situation and leaving without even trying to salvage it is a bit rude given it could have just been a mistake (at least ask if they think it's salvageable, if they say no you can leave without feeling bad, if yes try for a few minutes then if its not you've a few new people for your ignore list.) If no-one responds, leaving is probably a safe bet, uncoordinated groups are unlikely to recover a bad situation.

All of this is my opinion though.
  • sasheriasasheria Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Oriklein: in later post, you seem to be a decent folk (I will assume all the after post are true and no reason it is not), but if you read your own original post, NONE of the info you gave now was on it.

You just call a bunch of nubcakes, saying about a test ship, GG and left. It was kinda brief.

It is all about presentation. I personally don't know everyone (if anyone) on this forum (I am a long time player new poster as you can see by my post count) Your initial presentation (and thus first impression to many on this thread) makes you look really bad and people call you out on it.

While trying to explain more (i.e. damage control) it doesn't seem to help much or justify your action since many people are stuck on the initial post (those who don't know you) I will make a leap that the after post (after the initial post) you want to explain your situation and letting people know that you are not the "a-hole" that you "appear" to be in the initial post.

If we could rewind back in time, the post should have been.

Original Post:
    Queued up for a pug ISE to test a new ship, slightly under-geared.
    I get the notice one is revving up, I hit "enter".
    I enter.
    Inside: 2 nubcakes. 1 is dead. The mission counter is gone. Optional signals a red cross.
    Yup, it tossed me into a gonner game in-progress.
    So, I leave.
    1 hour "STF leaver" ban, which is not only STF but applies across all the PVE (and probably PVP) public queues (can supposedly create private ones, except for STF ones).

Awesome job as always.
    I chuckled and switched toons. No love for miss #7 tonight.

Typical GG.

Should have been:
    I queue up for Elite STF. I was put in a failed optional objective STF and it seems that the players that was in there are WAY underpowered. I couldn't help them to win the scenario. I quit the STF and get penalize. I feel that there should be an option that I can check so I won't be put into "ongoing game" or "failed optional" (I would have left out "test ship" because then it would make you sound like you want to be carried in STF with a test ship)

That would have come across a bit better than original post.
    SO.... with that aside. There should be an option (check box) that don't put you in already started game AND/OR don't put you in a game that already has failed objective INCLUDING optional.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    oriklein wrote: »

Except that maybe your blues XIs and aegis beat my whites IXs.

As said, I had two players who, from a quick glance, were no good (tac cruiser, who was dead as I joined, and a sci).
    And my ship was just a cheap tank with barely 100 damage per shot.

As I said before: The others were likely just as happy to be rid of your Captain McWeaksauce. You did them a greater benefit by not having the constitution for a difficult fight.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • rovakiinrovakiin Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So before you march on your character assassination, think a little if you have a clue who this person is or what he does.

It doesn't matter who you are. You only get one shot at a first impression.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited February 2013
    Had that happen to myself a few times, yeah it was annoying, but the difference is I stayed and am actually good enough to bring it back.
    Didn't get the optional's on a couple as I was thrown in post fail, but then the thanks I got for helping them out of the mess they were in was worth it..
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As said, I had two players who, from a quick glance, were no good (tac cruiser, who was dead as I joined, and a sci).

So you're automatically no good if you've ever died in Infected? Gotta remember that one as it happens to us all.

Science officers are clearly a joke and should never be in STFs either, even though my SCI could probably tank better and do more damage than your "test" vessel.
    I'll only pug to test new ships and private to do actual STFs.

So basically you admit that you deliberately PUG ESTFS with potentially UP vessels. That screams douche to me.

Despite this I will give you what you were looking for when you made this thread to start with.

"There there, how horrible and traumatic it must have been for you." [/sarcasm]
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

You cant help it can you? You just have to insult people you don't know in a situation that you have little knowledge of what happened.
  • savnokasavnoka Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sorry, OP, but no.

If you came on here to complain about being dumped into STF's in progress, then that might be a valid point.

If you're irritated that there is a leaver penalty in STF's when you may be put into what you feel is an unwinnable situation (or one that can only be one with too much effort to be worth your time) that is also a valid point.

Ultimately, though, the mechanics are there to stop the majority of people from doing something that is not good for the game. There are times you get caught up in it unfairly.

You can either shrug (it's a game) , let it go and move on, or you can start a discussion about how to address it.

What you can't do is expect any sympathy or agreement when you bailed because you felt something wasn't worth your time and decided the best way to sum this up is to insult whoever was playing. Maybe the other two dropped due to disco and these guys got ravaged.

No one is saying you should play a situation that isn't worth your time. But based on the feedback so far, none of us is interested in hearing the equivalent of whining. If you wanted a test scenario for your new ship , a STF that is lost anyway is the perfect place for it -- why would I want you in my newly started STF in your piece of TRIBBLE ship with no DPS, messing up MY ability to get the optional?

I suppose I should , if that occurs, dismiss you as nubcakes, no?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    brakner11 wrote: »
    This has to be a troll, nobody can be this childish.........

Ooohhh they can, believe me they can. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    OP, seems to me this was the perfect scenario to test your build, a long running slug-fest with a chance for another player to zone in to help.

In the end you would have made a few friends, and come out with ideas for your build.
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    op, Seems To Me This Was The Perfect Scenario To Test Your Build, A Long Running Slug-fest With A Chance For Another Player To Zone In To Help.

In The End You Would Have Made A Few Friends, And Come Out With Ideas For Your Build.

Ha! I Crushed An Apple, Fruit Vendor! This Will Not Be The Last!!
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • dauntlessf05dauntlessf05 Member Posts: 268 Media Corps
    edited February 2013
    How Federation of you OP.

Warp in, new captains having TRIBBLE handed to them by Borg.

Solution, leave.

You don't deserve to Captain a ship.

And if it takes 3 hours for you to finish ISE when someone messes up, then your doing it wrong. I've been with countless ISE pugs where there have been countless new captains with rainbow boats or skittle ships. With the right guidance and communication, you should still be able to finish in 20 to 30 mins absolute tops.
    Check out my STO Cinematic Videos: ZEFilms Youtube Channel
    Follow me on Twitter: @ZEFilms_STO
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Except that maybe your blues XIs and aegis beat my whites IXs.
    I wouldn't consider that "slightly undergeared", man. :eek: I'd never go into an eSTF with Mk IX whites, jeez. Mk XI greens are like 6k each (which is below vendor price because people be crazy).
    I'll only pug to test new ships and private to do actual STFs.
    That's not very considerate to the others if you don't intend to "do actual STFs". :mad:

The "tests" I do in PUGs is to see how well I can take a new build and carry 4 hapless newbies. I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised to find people who know what they're doing, but that's unfortunately rare.
    sasheria wrote: »
    If it was timed mission, then there SHOULD be a coding that prevent players from entering matches that is almost finish (i.e. 1 minute to go) that ways newly entered player don't get screwed on loots/rewards)
    Oh man, a few days ago I went into a Tholian Red Alert, and in spite of clearing around half the ships personally (including dealing 100% damage to the named ship, 3 Recluses and 2 Tarantulas) we still ran out of time - because I got in there with less than 9 minutes left with only one support group downed. So much effort wasted. :(
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Ok, I can sympathize with being shoved into a really messed up STF, it's happened to me on several occasions. One thing, I have always stayed to the bitter end no matter the toon I was running at the time.

Testing ships in an elite pug isn't exactly a great idea to begin with, I find CSN much better for initial tests. But the thing that really gets me (not even the bailing out on the poor guys that were left) is the fact that you went in with a white garbage loaded ship that you wanted to test. Seriously, doing that gives you no right to cry "noob" even if they were.

Train as you fight, fight as you train...remember?
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *sigh* I wish everyone just stopped over-reacting when it comes to STF's
  • somriksomrik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ... Can you even complete ISE with 3 people?

I mean lets assume that the two "nubcakes" arent rainbowboating.

Wouldnt the spheres respawn too fast?
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    somrik wrote: »
    ... Can you even complete ISE with 3 people?
    Yes.
    somrik wrote: »
    Wouldnt the spheres respawn too fast?
    No.

They respawn in waves, there's a pause where you have a chance to blow up the Transformer.