test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please stop crusading against "foundry grinders"

Comments

• pendra3780pendra3780 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    CBS didn't formally approve it, unlike every mission the devs implement. For that reason, I am not interested.

Sorry, but this is one of the most narrow minded comment I've ever read on these forums. I could go on, but I'm afraid, it would just not compute for you.
  • mike1027mike1027 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ajstoner wrote: »
    He was the first to openly suggest it but it was because this was already being done to us. It was foolish in the extreme but not unprovoked. And, it is worth noting, that pretty much every foundry author here condemned the idea at once so claiming that we launched an organized campaign is wrong. You are the only ones who have actually done this, and you continue to do it.

This is akin to saying "I had every right to beat that guy up because he talked about punching me after I kicked him in the groin."

As bad as your grammar? And who, exactly, is "ur"? You have no grounds on which to get self-righteous here. You have stolen from us. 99% of this game is nothing but grinding but that wasn't good enough for you so you decided to come and take from us the only part of the game we had and one we have put a huge amount of work into. You did this out of greed and spite--nothing more.

Plus, if you loathe the foundry so much why are you even posting here?

one i have a right i pay for this game . 2 this is not just ur game ur post is the most ignorant post i have ever read same on u .and for my grammer thats just 2 bad 4 u
  • zedomegazedomega Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *sighs and starts up the popcorn machine again* Really? We can't discuss this without resorting to ad hominem attacks?
  • archabacteriaarchabacteria Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zedomega wrote: »
    *sighs and starts up the popcorn machine again* Really? We can't discuss this without resorting to ad hominem attacks?

Of course not.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2013

It's human nature, sadly.

Come on, guys. We're Star Trek fans! We're supposed to be more mature than this.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't normally speak up, but in this case, I will.

And none of this is intended to offend (although no doubt it will), it is simple statement of fact.

I was well familiar with the clicky method.
    When it was removed, there was a long hiatus in my fleet mark earning until someone found out about the Timid enemy missions.
    And now, there's no point to this as well.

My fleet is a small one, around 5 active players, most of whom do not have the time to commit to serious mark earning.
    And now that I'm unable to earn marks, the projects are slowing down a lot, considering I was one of the major contributors, thanks to this Timid mission.
    And no other method was as efficient at gaining marks, not for time invested vs reward factor.

I was disappointed that the only Timid foundry missions were on "starter zones", so I put quite some effort into making my own in Tau Dewa.
    Given my lack of skill in Foundry, this was a monumental achievement, especially considering scripting the mission chain for 8x25 enemy engagements required attention to detail and much crosschecking that it took me over a week to get it right.
    I even gave it a story.

Immediately after the change was made, I went back and tried my mission again.
    20 minutes later and I haven't even beaten the first wave.
    That's when I gave up.
    Seriously, it takes longer to do the first wave then it did to do the whole mission?
    By the way, I've WITHDRAWN that project, so you don't get to play it now.

Let me be especially clear here.
    We need a simple fast mission to earn fleet marks, especially considering we're going to be doing this on average once every half hour.
    Even the best story foundry mission will be tedious when you're doing it for the 100th time.

And this change also drives players away from STO.
    If you can do a quick mission once every half hour, you're going to stay ingame.
    But if there's no mission, you have no reason to be there, therefore, you're not playing.
    Seems Cryptic shot themselves in the foot with this one.

As for story based foundry missions, I will admit I have no interest in them.
    There is a reason.
    Way back when I was a teenager, they published a lot of Star Trek novels and I bought most of them.
    When I realized one relevant truth, I threw most of them out and lamented the money I wasted on buying them.

That they're just published fanfiction.

Some of them had interesting stories, but they are not canon, so they're irrevalent to me.
    I think the only one that even got partially acknowledged was Day of Honor.

And that's why I avoid anything that is a fan creation, I just don't like the idea of fanfiction in any form, officially published or not.
    And basically, foundry missions based around story are all fanfiction to me.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm asking this as an honest question, then--why are you on STO? STO draws quite a bit on those very novels you trashed and lamented the money you spent buying them. It diverges even further from that, inventing its own characters and storyline. It seems to me by your logic, STO itself shouldn't be a product you support.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited February 2013
    Because it's a Trek based game?
    The story doesn't matter to me, as long as I get to fly around in my own Trek starship and play the trek experience.

It's all about gameplay and being in the trek universe.

I will make exceptions for computer games only, because it's fun to play in the universe you watch on tv or in the movies.

Not to say, I don't pay attention to details, there have been times that I say, oh my god, I get that reference!

But unless it relates to the tv series or the movies I've seen, the references will most likely pass me by.
    And that also applies to the Animated Series, I didn't watch that because I regard it as non-canon.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Which of the "timid" missions counted for the IOR? Every one I saw did not. I don't understand those statements. People grinded them for the ECs, not FMs.

PS. It's weird that you are so loyal to canon, in a game where so many Fed captains will soon be flying Borg cubes, in addition to Tholian, Temporal, Ferengi, Cardassian, etc. ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Which of the "timid" missions counted for the IOR? Every one I saw did not. I don't understand those statements. People grinded them for the ECs, not FMs.

PS. It's weird that you are so loyal to canon, in a game where so many Fed captains will soon be flying Borg cubes, in addition to Tholian, Temporal, Ferengi, Cardassian, etc. ships.

On top of anything that isn't the TV series, cartoon or movies is unofficial non-canon...

I remember 'easy money' constantly qualifying due to it being 7 maps of 25 battleships each. Anyone who cleared all seven maps under 15 minutes would've been using a ship and fit I'd like to take into a PVE queue. :l
    edited February 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Some of them had interesting stories, but they are not canon, so they're irrevalent to me.

Few things to add:
    - Don't judge the book by its cover
    - ST V is canon
    - Warp 10+ lizardman was canon

BTW your Captain is NOT canon, therefore any action you take with it in this game is not canon. So it doesn't really matter if you play an officially endorsed mission or fanfic, none of the events you see on the screen are canon.
    Going back to the lizardman thing, CBS can decanonize this whole game with a stroke of a pen just as they did with that episode. And at the same time, they may canonize any of the foundry missions as they see fit.

Let's reiterate:
    The story doesn't matter to me, as long as I get to fly around in my own Trek starship and play the trek experience.
    It's all about gameplay and being in the trek universe.

It's a paradox, I tell you, it's a paradox.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Come on, guys. We're Star Trek fans! We're supposed to be more mature than this.

Are we talking about the same Star Trek fans? We invented Nerd Psychosis.
    <3
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    7 maps of 25 battleships each. Anyone who cleared all seven maps under 15 minutes would've been using a ship and fit I'd like to take into a PVE queue. :l

My god, it must have hit the loot drop limit on the second map. You guys found this fun? Just sitting in space and watching 175 defenseless battleships explode, drop loot, and help you complete the IOR quickly.

So all you had to do was fire photons to get 960 dil, 50 FMs, and about 600K ECs for no work or effort on your part.

And some of you wonder why the devs might looked down upon that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    My god, it must have hit the loot drop limit on the second map. You guys found this fun? Just sitting in space and watching 175 defenseless battleships explode, drop loot, and help you complete the IOR quickly.

And some of you wonder why the devs might looked down upon that?

Fourth or fifth, actually. And like I've said a few times, it wasn't the loot, it was the chain reaction of warp core detonations. (In my case, anyway.)
    edited February 2013
    it was the chain reaction of warp core detonations.

I thought the chain reaction of warp core breaches exploit was fixed a long long time ago.
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you want to play missions with no story, then why are you coming to the Foundry? There are plenty of patrols and other missions in the game that have no story. The only reason you're playing Foundry missions is because the rewards are better. That's the flaw right there.

There's nothing wrong with combat missions. Battleship Royal Rumble is a legitimate mission. Most of the other grinders (timid, afk, etc) were not. However, even BRR is benefiting from having rewards that are orders of magnitude better than longer missions, and story based missions (less drops from combat).

The thing is, people aren't "choosing" to play any of these missions. They're just doing what the game tells them to do. The short, nothing but combat missions provide more rewards with the least amount of effort, than anything else in the game, that's why people are flooding in to play them. It's not because everyone loves these missions.

Combat missions like BRR can be fun, but these types of missions existed before the rewards change and there wasn't a flood of people coming into the Foundry to play them. It's all about the incentives-- that's what is causing this.

The UI should be updated too, but without fixing the incentive structure the Foundry is still going to be prone to exploitation.
  • ericphailericphail Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Old versions of Qwark the farmer counted for IOR:

Destroy 225 battleships over 9 maps (and yes loot limit was usually in map 2 or 3)

I'll be honest though somehow it seemed that you could sometimes slaughter groups of 25 in one shot, which might have been very fast (APB2, Sensor Scan, TS2 (Omega Torp), maybe Tykens 2.... watch the warp core 'splosion chain).

Seriously 25 ships clipping through each other then killing each other after the 3rd one went boom was somewhat amusing (and worth ~500k EC).

I'll admit I abused that one a bit (1 IOR a day on it even though I was doing it for the EC), though not for long <400 FMs stacked from it so...

Need to find a new EC mission...

Edit: I would kind of like the allowing of those type of missions (eg timid) with a toggle on creation: can never count for IOR (could that be done anyway) so that the EC 'farming' (to counter rep costs, grrr) was still viable.

Note to self play BRR at some point soon
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the more likely outcome that will occur is that the legions of grinders will start to look for who to blame for the removal of their grinders, and that finger is going to point squarely at those "story" authors. This is going to touch off a string of hate-rating. Hell, it's already started: Every single Spotlight mission has already lost stars because of it.

This is exactly what is happening. I refuse to play any spotlighted mission for this very reason. I have enough work to do in this game without someone trying to make my job harder but for no other reason than their own personal crusade. I say let each person play the game for the way they enjoy it. If you don't like grinding then don't play them and if you like writing story missions great but don't expect everyone to enjoy the game the way you think it should be enjoyed.

I personally would like nothing more than to get rid of all the grinding in this game. I liked the game the way it first game out. I liked when you played the patrols and the story and the encounters to get to level 50. I hate that I have to now get a character to level 50 in Romulan space and spend the rest of my time earning various commodities to be able to be on a level field in PVP. If there weren't all these grinding necessities then perhaps I would have plenty of time for spotlight missions but since this isn't the case, I have to grind and grind and grind and grind. This game is far from being about story anymore and is about economics and commodity grinding to get your gear.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There's like 27 specific official story missions I could grind in less time then the popular grind foundry missions, and make alot of money with better drops and experience.
  • sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited February 2013
    There's like 27 specific official story missions I could grind in less time then the popular grind foundry missions, and make alot of money with better drops and experience.

Well that's interesting. Could you make 500k to 750k in EC, within 20 mins, with 980 Dil and 50 Fleet Marks?

Yeah, did not think so.
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The latest iteration of nerfs against the foundry "grinders" has negatively impacted my gameplay for absolutely no benefit to yourselves.
    So? that wasn't the point....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm with the original poster on this, LEAVE THE GRINDER ALONE! we have to work hard enough as it is, TRIBBLE with the game making it harder to take two steps forward then it is to go backwards is....UNDESIRABLE. And I guarantee you people that complain about them played them yourself, hypocrisy doesn't look good.:mad:

One thing though, the Qwarks battleship grinder was bloody EPIC after the nerf...Loved it.
    However, they should have never nerfed the foundry....LEAVE IT ALONE.

you guys messing with the foundry is like a pretty girl putting on makeup then getting zits cause her pore got clogged...:rolleyes:
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And I guarantee you people that complain about them played them yourself, hypocrisy doesn't look good.
    ORLY? Um, no I didn't.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited February 2013
    Let me be very clear on this point.

I'm not doing it for the loot or the energy credits.
    In point of fact, I leave the loot where it falls.

I only have two motivations for doing the mission:

Fleet Marks.
    Dilithium.

Both of which end up getting donated to my fleet's starbase.

All other avenues of getting fleet marks have been exhausted.
    Or at least getting a decent amount for time invested.

As for how canon the game is, as the Borg would say, irrevalent!
    I'm getting the Trek experience, having fun doing so and that's all that matters.

• bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To kill a grinder is not murder; it is the path to heaven.

~Foundry Author Battle Doctrine
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I been hearing the ramp up of this debate quite recently, and my hopes are that the Dev team is carefully looking at all angles. Because the ramifications aren't just around STO, but Neverwinter and any future games that would use a UGC tool.

I like to think of myself as a Foundry Author and I've also used grinding and clicker missions. So I walked a mile in both shoes.

With Grinder missions, I really do think of them as abuse and greatly detracts from the Foundry since the intention was people to tell stories, not use it as a farming tool. But not all grinding missions are bad, for instance those with accolade grinding, which some races can be hard to work on (like Breen and Devidians), or for some factions impossible to do (like Federation with Fek'lhri). So those kind of grinding missions do benefit the community.

The Clicker Missions for Fleet Marks, while was a bad thing in itself, it also helped small fleets that had trouble earning marks. But now there is a compromise where they can play stories.

But the EC Grinding, really bothers me. This hurts the community because it will create inflation and drive up some prices, or there will be even more of a surplus flooding the Exchange and make once expensive items, totally worthless. So from an economic standard, this is bad.

We also to have to think about why people need EC. And to me, part of this blame if the Starbase system that forces small fleets into desperate action in having to literally buy millions worth of Commodities to fuel progress. Another is the drive for buying new Lockbox items off the Exchange or Lockbox Keys. And this has hurt the Dilithium market in diliuting the economic cycle.

From the Foundry Author perspective, since The Foundry was intended for stories, these grind missions are more favored and stories are pushed away and the UGC greatly loses it's intention. Which means that Cryptic eventually could lose all drive for the system, which harms the STO community as a whole, where we very much would go back to the "Year of Hell", waiting for content.

So, what shall we do? Uphold "the law"? Or shall we go with more of a social justice type of system where anything goes?

Honestly, I put part of the blame on Cryptic for neglectful monitoring in asking for the Foundry community to self police, and yet not listen to the policemen.

Do we need for Volunteer Foundry Moderators like the forum? Or do we need CSR to have decidated GMs on Foundry duty? I can tell you this, Cryptic, you do need to act in some degree, because it's happening with STO and it will happen with Neverwinter.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I only have two motivations for doing the mission:

Fleet Marks.
    Dilithium.

They did not go away. They went nowhere.
    Not in the ground. Not in the air.
    There they are. I see them there.

They just shoot back. Now they do.
    It's still not hard. This is true.
    No need for boo. No need for hoo.
    <3
  • lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the more likely outcome that will occur is that the legions of grinders will start to look for who to blame for the removal of their grinders, and that finger is going to point squarely at those "story" authors. This is going to touch off a string of hate-rating. Hell, it's already started: Every single Spotlight mission has already lost stars because of it.

There is nothing to be gained from these crusades except more hate. I, for one, certainly have no desire to play your horrid fanfic and badly written TRIBBLE, and would have been content to simply ignore them in favor of content that actually serves a useful purpose.

Op is spot *expletive deleted* On
    edited February 2013
    For the most part, my issue is that this change has removed pretty much my only source of Fleet Marks and Dilithium.

I don't do 5-man Fleet Actions, a premade 20man is so rare, it's hardly ever assembled (at least, with the people I know).

As for Dilithium, I used to buy it with C-Points, but when the price plummeted, I stopping doing that.
    I did the math and what used to cost me less then 20 dollars now costs me 50 dollars.
    That's a 150% price hike.

So, they are gone now (at least from my point of view).

Basically, I have other things to do then live in STO 24/7 grinding out these items.

• ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lake1771 wrote: »
    Op is spot *expletive deleted* On

Except for the fact that it is a lie, sure. That's not what happened. One segment of the player base launched an unprovoked attack on the Foundry and is now trying to play the victim. All that the Foundry authors did was ask for the UI to be changed to clear up the mess. Nothing more.

Many people's entire libraries of missions have been destroyed for no reason at all except that such people came in here ranting, raving, making false accusations, and spreading misinformation so as to scapegoat foundry author's over Cryptic's management of the game economy.

If you are not happy about the availability of dil or FM's in other parts of the game then tell Cryptic to fix that instead of invading and attempting to co-opt a part of the game you yourselves have stated, in no uncertain terms, that you have no interest in and hold in contempt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.