test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bug: character "beams" onto bridge, "leave ship interior" text is wrong

seraphantillesseraphantilles Member Posts: 97 Arc User
edited January 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I noticed a bug: when I select "Visit Starship Bridge," my character beams onto his own bridge.

This is a bug, because he is the Captain of the ship and would therefore already be on the bridge. He would not need to beam onto the bridge! Besides, the ship is travelling at high Warp... where would he be beaming in from? Does he walk along the outside of the hull during warp for a nice stroll?

The game should not use the 'beam in' and 'beam out' animations for the ship's Captian when the player switches between tactical view and "Visit Starship Bridge" view.

Instead the animation that should play is that of the Captain getting up from the Captain's chair, and sitting back down in the Captain's chair. The camera could then pan around to the first-person view and fade to black, then fade into the Tactical view for a nice smooth transition that does not break immersion by doing something buggy.

As well, the text should not say "Visit Starship Bridge" but, it should say, "View Starship Bridge". Getting up from a chair is not "visiting" something, but rather, would be considered getting up to look around, or "view" the Bridge.

Finally, the text when you are in the bridge view should not say "Leave Ship Interior." I mean, where the heck are you going? Are you beaming out into the vacuum of space?

Instead it should say, "Enter Tactical View."

And it would be nice if there were, "Enter Starship Tactical View" and "Enter Shuttle Tactical View" to match up with the respective bridge view modes.

OK OK, I know, it's not *technically* a bug, but still, please, it might as well be. I'll call it a design... bug isn't the right word... a design... mistake. No, mistake is too harsh. How about, "oversight?" Well isn't a bug an oversight, 99% of the time? Bug then.

Please correct it :D
Post edited by seraphantilles on

Comments

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Actually if you stand near your captain's chair you have another option: Return to Tactical View. When clicking this instead of to leave ship interior, sometimes you don't "beam out". You just switch to the loading screen and load to where ever you last were. Doesn't happen very often though. Wish it happened all the time. Beaming off our ship doesn't make sense when you entered your bridge from space. Where you beaming to? And without an EV suit? :eek:
  • seraphantillesseraphantilles Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    He uses mag boots to walk the surface of the ship.

That's how hull repair happens BTW.
  • starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I noticed a bug: when I select "Visit Starship Bridge," my character beams onto his own bridge.

OK OK, I know, it's not *technically* a bug, but still, please, it might as well be. I'll call it a design... bug isn't the right word... a design... mistake. No, mistake is too harsh. How about, "oversight?" Well isn't a bug an oversight, 99% of the time? Bug then.

Please correct it :D

This is not a bug, no matter how you try and spin it. A bug is the result of unintended game behavior. This is simply a design flaw that breaks immersion. There are plenty of actual bugs that need Cryptic's attention. Don't expect this to get fixed any time soon.
  • seraphantillesseraphantilles Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This is not a bug, no matter how you try and spin it. A bug is the result of unintended game behavior. This is simply a design flaw that breaks immersion. There are plenty of actual bugs that need Cryptic's attention. Don't expect this to get fixed any time soon.

Someone like you always has to come along and troll good ideas. Very well. Go ahead, and be negative. See where it gets you in life.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to be positive, and suggest meaningful and constructive changes to the game, to make it better. If I was the developer, that's exactly what I'd want my customers to do. And, I'd respond to it.

I'll fully expect this issue to get addressed, whether or not it's technically a bug. I can tell that the developers take pride in this game and try to address issues like this. I can tell this because this is the only thing close to a bug I've encountered in gameplay in a very long time. If the game is full of bugs as you say, they don't show up very often.

I did not see a sub-forum for "design flaws" and I highly doubt that the developers intended this behavior. They probably just didn't think about it very much. It makes sense to beam into your bridge when you're entering it from Earth Space Dock, which is an option when you're there of course. They probably just didn't think about making an alternate behavior when you're going to that view from space. I doubt it would be very much extra work to add a behavior for this.