test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Help Support Mac Support!

carbongripcarbongrip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Greetings everyone, as many have seen in the last Ask Cryptic seen here:
http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=800861

Cryptic is looking into adding mac support! So I wanted to know how many here wouldn't mind mac support ether because you want more people in game or would like to get off there Windows 7 bootcamp partition.:D So help post your opinion and show cryptic the path to the light side!

Live long and prosper!
Post edited by carbongrip on

Comments

• Options
    haravikkharavikk Member Posts: 278
    edited January 2013
    I currently play STO using the Wineskin wrapper from the awesome doh123 and it runs pretty well (well enough to avoid switching to Bootcamp).

That said it does have some stability issues, but then if Cryptic were doing a WINE or Cider wrapper of their own they could probably address these.
  • Options
    luke3424luke3424 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    im using the same program....i would happily download the mac client so i dont have to deal with the annoying constant crashes:mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    haravikk wrote: »
    I currently play STO using the Wineskin wrapper from the awesome doh123 and it runs pretty well (well enough to avoid switching to Bootcamp).

That said it does have some stability issues, but then if Cryptic were doing a WINE or Cider wrapper of their own they could probably address these.

Interesting thought, Cryptic probably could make there own wrapper... quicker and easier.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Here Here! Currently I play using bootcamp. It would be so much nicer if I didn't :)
  • Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Haven't used a Mac in a long time but I'm all for anything that brings more people in and makes life easier on those already here who are being forced to run things in emulation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    yup, DOH123's wineskin wrapper is great. But native mouse and copy-paste functionality would indeed be great.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have 2 Mac-loving friends that I'm pretty sure I could get on STO if there was a Mac version of it. ;)
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm ThePsycoticVulcan, and I approve this message.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    haravikkharavikk Member Posts: 278
    edited January 2013
    carbongrip wrote: »
    Interesting thought, Cryptic probably could make there own wrapper... quicker and easier.
    I actually just switched my Wineskin wrapper over to using the Crossover 12 build of WINE, using their experimental Mac driver, and it actually runs really well; graphics are a bit smoother, you can play in maximised window mode properly (it basically functions as full-screen without blacking out other monitors). It's just smoother overall, and actually seems to be more stable.

There are however some keyboard issues that mean I may have to switch back to X11; I frequently find abilities triggering that I didn't use the shortcut for, which is unfortunate. However I've found I can run at slightly better graphics settings so I'm torn as to wether to switch back or not ;)

But yeah, if Cryptic themselves were doing it they'd have access to better support for resolving any minor glitches like these, and it's pretty easy to just distribute a WINE wrapper once you've found a combination of WINE version and settings that work.
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    100% agree with this thread. There is movement in general pop to move to Mac. Seems everyone I know is now on a Mac. I've been using wine since beta but I would love to be able to crank up the graphics with a native client.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I am glad to see that lots of people want to see this happen, what do you say everyone else, lets get more and more support! Even the cryptic team should show support for a mac client!
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree and support STO on Apple computers. Run an iMac and hope to see it without having to swap to boot camp. It will be a lot easier for me to log on that is for sure.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While iam a Win user, i support that of those on the MAC.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • Options
    rayusrayus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't own or use any Apple products, but I'm all for a Mac client. The more, the merrier. :cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    typhoncal wrote: »
    While iam a Win user, i support that of those on the MAC.

Join the light side, mac will win the war:D
  • Options
    seathemacseathemac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    joenatl wrote: »
    100% agree with this thread. There is movement in general pop to move to Mac. Seems everyone I know is now on a Mac. I've been using wine since beta but I would love to be able to crank up the graphics with a native client.

Wrong.
    Apple themselves have admitted that they are losing desktop market share to their own IOS devices, LESS people are switching to OS X than ever before, this is a fact.

As for the being able to crank up the graphics, you'll be lucky. 3D performance has and always will be an afterthought on the part of Apple. There has never been an Apple with a cutting edge graphics card. Every machine that's ever gone to market has used 2nd generation gfx technology. Every single one has been outdated on release day.
    If you want to play STO or any modern game in it's full glory you need a gaming PC.
  • Options
    lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    seathemac wrote: »
    As for the being able to crank up the graphics, you'll be lucky. 3D performance has and always will be an afterthought on the part of Apple. There has never been an Apple with a cutting edge graphics card. Every machine that's ever gone to market has used 2nd generation gfx technology. Every single one has been outdated on release day.
    If you want to play STO or any modern game in it's full glory you need a gaming PC.

Wrong.
    I'm no Apple anything, but I know the G5 desktops had perfectly normal graphics cards - including the high-end options of the day - and I'd think their workstations today (do they still make those?) are just ordinary PCs, with ordinary graphics card options.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm sure this is already covered by a thread, but i looked and couldn't find it:

Please make a MAC version of the game. (Please, don't tell me to install or dual-run a windows on my mac and "yes", i know about the WINE version, and i'm sure the game would run better in a native version on my mac.).
    I would like to enjoy the better graphics and smoother game play, which would result from a MAC version for my MAC.
    This is one of the reasons i'm not buying a lifetime subscription: not sure how long the WINE version will be updated and maintained.

No need for long comments, just put an "agreed" or "yes please". maybe if we get together enough people, they will think about it.

Thanks for listening.

PS: please no hate or "*****" comments. if you don't care, don't reply :) thanks

PPS: thanks for the move :) didnt found the original mac thread :)
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Agreed with a plea for MAC version! :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Maybe they could ask on their facebook page, if there would be enough ppl who would use the MAC version. They could ask as a wall post. i just dont know how to reach the admins to ask them to... ideas?
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    From the "Ask Cryptic January 2013" page:
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=800861

Q: (treadstone79) When will STO be released for Mac OS X?

Dstahl: We are investigating this now and would like to see it happen in 2013 if we can work it out. Stay tuned!

Here's hoping, for you Mac users.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    thanks for the paraphrasing :)
    cu and lets hope
  • Options
    gapagangapagan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I love STO. I will be playing it for some time. However, now that I am the owner of a new Mac, I would like to play STO on it. I was extremely disappointed when I discovered i could not. I ask that the Developers please release a Mac version for those of us that own one.
  • Options
    lordpinchylordpinchy Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would love to see a Mac client. Bootcamp sux!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    gapagan wrote: »
    I love STO. I will be playing it for some time. However, now that I am the owner of a new Mac, I would like to play STO on it. I was extremely disappointed when I discovered i could not. I ask that the Developers please release a Mac version for those of us that own one.

At the moment you can play it on a mac using bootcamp assistant to download a windows partition, works great on iMac 21.5inch
    lordpinchy wrote: »
    I would love to see a Mac client. Bootcamp sux!

I know I hate having windows on my mac :( Please make mac version cryptic!
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic, making a Mac version of the game would mean so much to a lot of people, myself included. Please follow through with this!!!
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I use a mac but I don't think they should make a version for it, just sounds like work the team can't handle.
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As a Mac user this would make me very happy, however I'm afraid it won't happen since the Mac userbase is much smaller and given the size of Cryptics team I would much prefer they focus on new content rather than a Mac client. If you really want to use it on a Mac I would say get parallels and run Windows off that or create a separate partition using boot camp.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would love it! I prefer macs always have, been forced to use a PC for too long now.

I'd like to point out also that one of the key reasons for the success story of the elephant in the room (even tho I too have trouble with trusting them, one cannot deny the success they've had as a company) is that they supported macs and pcs from the beginning.

Blizzard didn't become a success because they denied this platform. New companies coming out with new games are supporting Linux. It's time for change.
  • Options
    sussethraisussethrai Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    On behalf of our two fleeties who are on in spirit only because they have Macs, make it so!
    "Susse-thrai" had been the name bestowed upon her, half in anger, half in affection, by her old crew on Bloodwing; the keen-nosed, cranky, wily old she-beast, never less dangerous than when you thought her defenseless, and always growing new teeth far back in her throat to replace the old ones broken in biting out the last foe's heart.
    Romulans: left one homeworld, lost another, third time's the charm?