test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Best MMO

cdrgadleycdrgadley Member Posts: 145 Arc User
In my opinion.

I know this thread isn't at all constructive...but I feel the need to give my thanks.

This is easily the best MMO I've ever played...and this is coming from someone who wasn't even a Star Trek fan before playing the game.

The mix of space and ground combat is great...and makes it so that you (I) never get bored of either.

The ability to create your own crew. This is by far...one of the best feature of the game.

The Doff system. It's something that I am not always completely focused on while playing actual missions...but it's just another piece to a great game. Being able to start up a nice list of missions right when I log in and/or before loggin out for the night for extra rewards is definitely nice. The rewards isn't even the best part...I really like the involvement of your Bridge Officers. Sure it's something off-hand...but I like being able to set up your department heads.

There is just so much involved to keep my interest.

In short...thank you for what is definitely my favorite MMO.

Comments

• Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm glad you're enjoying the game cdrgadley, and hope you continue to do so despite what some people may say later on in this thread.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    orikleinoriklein Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    cdrgadley wrote: »
    This is easily the best MMO I've ever played...
    I would like to bring your MMO repertoire to examination...and possibly your mental sanity onto question. :P

But, for sake of debate, I shall contest that you have not brought forth a single convincing argument as to what set this MMO apart from other MMOs (which you may or may not have played) as to warrant its crowning as the best MMO ever.

You say it is the best MMO, I say to you: In what manner?
    Does it has the best combat? The best graphics? The best gameplay? The most interesting lore? The highest quality of code execution? (hello memory leaks and incessant intermittent crashes) The best of customer support? (there is any?)

As follows, you may see that all your points are all hollow and that you have failed to present any substantial merits as to what distinguishes STO to deserve such praise.
    The mix of space and ground combat is great...
    It is a nice perk, but nothing that is new, to be honest.
    and makes it so that you (I) never get bored of either.
    That statement is very false. A mix of ground and space (or different combat modes/features) is not the recepie for preventing bordom of a game. That has been proven.
    The methodology required for a non-bordom is creating a gameplay which pace is flowing and repetitive without feeling stressful, imposed or treadmilling rather interesting and wanting.
    The ability to create your own crew. This is by far...one of the best feature of the game.
    And by far the most lacking and minimalistic one.
    The customization of crew is quite basic - namely, mainly, clothing and some actionable "skills". Beyond that you have very limited or no control over them at all.
    You can "promote" them, but that is a very empty gesture which serves no true function and could've been removed from the game all the same without the least bit of impact.
    Nor can you demote them, or do with them anything beyond some minimalistic Small Unit Tactics in some ground missions.
    Beyond that they are of zero use and in the end game there are indeed of nill use.
    The Doff system.
    It is a nice card trading game. And a Dilithium money-sink mechanic. But not much more than that.
    I really like the involvement of your Bridge Officers. Sure it's something off-hand...but I like being able to set up your department heads.
    Again, a highly superficial feature.

In summary, STO is a decent game with a fine promising core that was never fleshed out (and probably never will).
    What is available, while largely broken, is catering nicely to a niche that is otherwise unavailable (also, Star Trek; Enterprise; Klingons; yada-yada we love that ****).
    But the best MMO? It is not.
    And to tell the truth, if I wasn't burnt out on fantasy/D&D I'd probably be elsewhere.
    Also, I've got a fleet to run, invested (so to speak) lots of money in STO, got a few friends still play that I like seeing and talking to, so...yeah, I'm somewhat rooted until they shutdown (although StarCitizen is likely to steal me away heavily, already dropped a nice $grand in the kickstart).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    oriklein wrote: »
    snip

I guess you skipped over my very first line where I said "In my opinion".
    edited January 2013
    But, for sake of debate, I shall contest that you have not brought forth a single convincing argument as to what set this MMO apart from other MMOs

Since when does an opinion require proof or even a convincing argument?
  • Options
    shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'll have to admit that I thoroughly enjoy the space combat aspect of this game, though coming from a first person shooter background, I don't care for ground combat's auto-aim mechanics and lack of incentive to use first-person aim mode.
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    cptvanor wrote: »
    Since when does an opinion require proof or even a convincing argument?

Since the OP threat title was "Best MMO Ever". I do not see "IN my opinion, Best MMO Ever" there in there title sir.

This is easily not the best MMO ever, especially imo. lol
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    natejam101 wrote: »
    Since the OP threat title was "Best MMO Ever". I do not see "IN my opinion, Best MMO Ever" there in there title sir.

My apologies...I thought that my very first line of the thread saying "In my opinion" would be enough for people to understand that this thread is all about my opinion.

I would change the title if I could.
    edited January 2013
    ... I shall contest that you have not brought forth a single convincing argument as to what set this MMO apart from other MMOs (which you may or may not have played) as to warrant its crowning as the best MMO ever...

So , yeah , Dude did say it was his OPINION.

HIS opinion.

Also noted that he knew it wasn't constructive, just wanted to say a nice thing or two.

Honestly, did you just come in the thread to be disagreeable ?

And hey , Commader Gadley. I couldn't agree with you more.
    Not just your opinion.
    I am sure that many others share it.

My favorite MMO as well.

Good Luck out in space.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree.

And I've played WoW, Everquest I&II, Saga of Ryzom, Vanguard, Horizons, Asheron's Call, EVE Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, The Secret World, Guild Wars 1&2 (GW1 may not count as a mmo), Rift, Star Wars: Galaxies, Knights of the Old Republic, and probably a few I'm forgetting.

I like STO best because of Foundry, the graphics, ship combat, the way gameplay meshes with the style of Star Trek, and the diversity of things to do.

It could use big improvements, but I'm saying 'best,' not 'perfect.'
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My apologies...I thought that my very first line of the thread saying "In my opinion" would be enough for people to understand that this thread is all about my opinion.

You thought wrong, lol. Still, I salute you for posting this thread. It is admirable in the same sort of way as a blade of grass growing through a crack in the asphalt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Never forget that on the internet there exist people who like to be disagreeable, argumentative jerks, just because they can do so without looking you in the eye.

No need to change your thread title.
    You are very clear in your original post, and it's always nice to see a thread just saying something nice for a change. Just because a couple of malcontents who like to attack happiness wandered into your thread doesn't mean you need to change it.

Stay Happy.
    Stay cheerful.
    Ignore Jerks.

Good Luck in Space.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree with the OP. I have played a lot of MMO's (too many to list) and STO ranks as the best I have played. It's by no means perfect, but I still think it is the best overall MMO out there.
  • Options
    mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Good on you, OP. I have also played many MMO's. STO is not my all time favorite, but it is the only one I truly love to play that is still running. I have tried many other in the three years since this game debuted, but I always end up back here, on the bridge of my Starship. :D
  • Options
    alastairnallalastairnall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't agree with the OP on this game being the best MMO. However the thread did get me thinking...where exactly would STO fall in my top list. I'm thinking it would probably rank somewhere around #6 or #7 on a top 10.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2013

dude, dont worry. it obvious what you meant by reading your post. some just want to argue over semantics and pour water on your fun as they have nothing better to do.

i agree with you. its the best MMO i personally have played. i cant quantify why my fun is higher in this game than others, it just is, but i get where you are coming fun.

keep having fun.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,869 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree with the OP. I have played a lot of MMO's (too many to list) and STO ranks as the best I have played. It's by no means perfect, but I still think it is the best overall MMO out there.

I'm a lifer and agree with the OP. It's human nature to be critical and there are lots who like to whine and gripe about anything (all of us have done it to some degree..we are not perfect after all). Overall compared to other MMOs...STO rocks with only a few others...it's also my own personal opinion even though I have seen my share of people complaining about STO for the past 7 seasons....I'm still here...seen the rest an played them as well...IMO there are not much greener pastures than what the DEVs have tried to do with this game despite all those who might disagree :cool:
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Among the pay or pay converted to free MMOs, I've played HG:L, GW2, WoW, CO, AO, and DDO. STO has managed to hold my interest the longest. STO's also managed to take the most of my money.

By that criteria, it's certainly the "best". :P
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    STO is the first MMO I've played that I've actually enjoyed more after hittling level cap then I did leveling up.

In CO, CoH, WoW, SWTOR LotRO ect... Once I hit level cap I always started another character and would break out my level cap ones only for special events, or to try out new content.

STO I found it a relief to hit 50 and have almost zero desire to roll an alt, because I'm enjoying the end game and Foundry stuff a great deal. I don't know if that makes this the greatest MMO ever, but it's the one I'm playing right now so it's the best one for me.
  • Options
    aargolosaargolos Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Like many people here, I waited many, many years for this 'type' of Star Trek game to come out. I played when it initially came out, didn't like the way it felt rushed and unfinished, then dropped it in favor of EvE which I still play (and gladly pay for).

Came back with F2P to see what had changed, rapidly hit level cap, and got bored. The recent changes haven't all been great, but it's got me playing again.

I've been playing most every day at least an hour or two, mostly doing the dailies, winter event, and lots of DOFF stuff.

That being said, it still feels like too much of a grind. The reputation system is interesting, but "grindy", though I think it has potential once they add more to it.

I play it because I love Trek, and it's free, so sort of a "fix". I think it's certainly the "best free MMO" out there, but overall, doesn't come close to being the best overall MMO in my opinion.

Glad people love it, I hope it gets better and better as the years go by!
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm glad you're enjoying the game cdrgadley, and hope you continue to do so despite what some people may say later on in this thread.

Just one post later for the Hateosaur to appear. It's like you have your own Pokemon.
    <3
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hey, OP, I agree with you. This is the best MMO I've played. :D

As for the people that think he has to give arguments, well, no. He doesn't. Firstly, this isn't an argument. He just wanted to say something nice. Good on him for doing that. Secondly, my favourite colour is blue. Do I need to give you arguments as to why? Nope. Neither should the OP have to validate his opinion. It's his and he has every right to it.
  • Options
    howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have played way to many MMO's tho this is one of the best to play it isn't the best. In my honest opinion it is lacking in lvl cap stuff for beginners I say that in the matter that you have to learn it on your own or be in a fleet to really succeed at it, and hope you don't mess up cause that's it for you. in the other games I have played there was much more cap items you could do as a solo, group or guild. without having to redo what you did 1-50. The content is outstanding tho 1-50

BTW the best one I have ever played was my first MMO EQ1 it keeps drawing me back lol
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It is perfectly fine to have an opinion.
    However, it is my opinion that an opinion not grounded in factual base (in particular ones concerning "this thing is the best of its kind" type of an opinion) are without merit and need be judged as such prior to the bandwagon fans jumping aboard and defacto turning mud onto gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    When someone posts a positive vibes thread, it may be fair to ask 'oh? Why do you think that?' or 'what do you really like about this game? Does X or Y trouble you?'

Grilling them like this is a high court will, surprisingly, Not Be Received Well (tm).

There are ways to ask someone to defend their opinion without being antagonistic.

I mean, what terrible horrible outcome is going to arise from people saying nice things about a game?

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    However, it is my opinion that an opinion not grounded in factual base

So you feel the need to point out how wrong his opinion is then? Thankfully since that is your opinion, it's not one the rest of us need to abide by, or even give credence to.

First off, an opinion can rarely be grounded in any sort of factual base. An opinion is by it's very nature subjective and not subject to facts.

People claim that item X is the best all the time, and there's no way to use facts to refute or prove that claim. The statement inherently subjective in nature.

So basically your whole post is nothing more then haters hating and you trying to claim you have some reason why it's necessary to post your hate. Because nothing you posted is in any way proof or fact... All you have is your own subjective opinion on things.

Of coursed based on your whole 8 posts... 2 of which in this tread being highly negative, and at least one other I remember being the same... I think it's fairly safe to say that your opinion is not one that I or many other people will give much weight to, because you are clearly one of those.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Eh, it's possible to ground an opinion in an argument.

Like 'I like sushi because I find the taste of raw tuna to have a pleasantly smooth, almost buttery texture and taste, with an iron tang and the bite of wasabi.'

That doesn't change the fact that somebody else finds the idea and taste of raw fish to be utterly vomit-inducing, but I can explain some of why I enjoy it.

But 'you like sushi? What about it? I find it weird.' is a better opener than 'raw fish? are you f'in kidding me?? That's bait! All disgusting, makes me want to hurl. What's wrong with you?'

• Options
    edited January 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Eh, it's possible to ground an opinion in an argument.

But 'you like sushi? What about it? I find it weird.' is a better opener than 'raw fish? are you f'in kidding me?? That's bait! All disgusting, makes me want to hurl. What's wrong with you?'

If you look at the first page, you'd see.
    zahinder wrote: »
    I mean, what terrible horrible outcome is going to arise from people saying nice things about a game?

Mediocrity being passed as an acceptable status quo (just look at real life and how politicians/corporations/banks manipulate their human farms) and curtail ambition and right to demand for more.

First off, an opinion can rarely be grounded in any sort of factual base. An opinion is by it's very nature subjective and not subject to facts.
    Opinions are subjective. However, they may be proved or disproved.
    It was an opinion that the world is round. It was an opinion that the Earth is not the center of the universe. It was an opinion that there is a force pulling everything "downwards".
    Those opinions are nowadays regarded as axioms.

Opinions are VERY important, and it is of equal importance to strengthen them with fact or disprove them where required, as eventually they set the tone for what becomes fact. Dangerous facts.
    I think it's fairly safe to say that your opinion is not one that I or many other people will give much weight to, because you are clearly one of those.

It is a most destructive path you are setting upon. Void critique and you risk of becoming lost.
    You are also being highly defensive, you need separate a questioning of an argument from a personal attack.
    People claim that item X is the best all the time, and there's no way to use facts to refute or prove that claim. The statement inherently subjective in nature.
    There is a way. You define in what manner it is best. You examine it under specific conditions and situations.
    You perform mathematical analysis of cost and benefit. You compare it to other items of its kind/use.
    You then examine all the results and conclude its scope of reliability.

Lets take your argument in supporting the OP view as an example:
    STO is the first MMO I've played that I've actually enjoyed more after hittling level cap then I did leveling up.

In CO, CoH, WoW, SWTOR LotRO ect... Once I hit level cap I always started another character and would break out my level cap ones only for special events, or to try out new content.

STO I found it a relief to hit 50 and have almost zero desire to roll an alt, because I'm enjoying the end game and Foundry stuff a great deal. I don't know if that makes this the greatest MMO ever, but it's the one I'm playing right now so it's the best one for me.

All the MMOs you've mentioned are following similar treadmill patterns that were refined in WoW and derivative of EverQuest which in itself was derivative of DikuMUD and others; whereas the focus of the experience is on the treadmill itself rather than on actual gameplay in a hanged-out-carrot fashion as a mean of retaining the player. Later on they would add upon this with so-called "end game content" ala raids, RvR, level cap expansions and so forth.
    As such it is no surprise that all of them yielded the same result.

STO has a particular odd situation whereas the levels are just barrier from fully enjoying the whole game content and could be just as easily removed from the game and their lack of existence would matter nothing.
    It is like binding chains, limiting your freedom of movement until you unshackle them at the maximum level of 50 and serve neither retention nor any feasible desirable design element.
    All it does is segment content availability and create temporarily gated content as the vast majority of content lies in the level cap.

As such I would argue that it is not so much that you enjoyed the playtime after the cap while not enjoying leveling, so much that after reaching the level cap you were able to actually play the game and thoroughly enjoy the entirety of the content that is available whereas leveling up was not fun because you were simply whacking away at the guards and bars that were preventing you from accessing that content.

Basically, until level 50 you're not playing the game, you're playing a confined tutorial. At level 50 you're playing the game.

The STO actual "end-game content" has always been the STFs. And that has not changed in a long, long, time (well, they added that Hive ground/space thing recently). Most veterans are quite bored of this as such (but gotta grind for dilithium - the new "end game" treadmill).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Not sure if......oriklein is bridge troll or cave troll???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    its the only MMO which regularly supplies me with sunshine and rainbows...and i got the Unicorn for 5000 zen which was nice :D

but seriously, ive played DCUO, GW2, LOTRO, SWTOR...

this one hits the spot for me and is my main.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    plox21 wrote: »
    Not sure if......oriklein is bridge troll or cave troll???

Come back whence you're capable of intelligent debate please, mr. pot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]