test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Annoying Chat Bug

wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
edited April 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
The last couple weeks I have had an annoying chat bug. I can't see 90% of what is being posted in a channel. The only posts I see are from people on my friends list. I have checked social settings and reset them to make sure there was nothing in there blocking. Anyone had this problem or know a fix? Would be nice to see what's being said in my fleets channel again..

Cheers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***Disenchanted***
Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
Post edited by wolfpacknz on

Comments

• Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ever since the switch character has been activated, the chat system has been borked. I can see my Klingon fleet talk while on my Fed character, but have no option to talk to my Fed fleet w/out using the /fleet switch in the chat window.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ever since the switch character has been activated, the chat system has been borked. I can see my Klingon fleet talk while on my Fed character, but have no option to talk to my Fed fleet w/out using the /fleet switch in the chat window.

Have noticed this on occasion too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Still looking for a solution...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Still no word or fix on this. Very disappointing devs...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
  • Options
    ryanomeryanome Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I also have the same bug, it started a couple of days ago. Basically it seems that I'm missing entire conversations in chat channels, while I can see messages from some people most of the time its like watching people having conversation with themselves.

I've tried resetting my chat settings and rejoining channels but still have the same problem and I've not got anyone blocked. Zone and local chatter have dissappeared completely.
  • Options
    elnatorelnator Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Same issue here. I can't see everything typed in fleet (and often see fleet conversations on my klingon alt even though I shouldn't) and for some reason I've lost the fleet option in the dropdown chat selector so the only way I can type in fleet chat is by typing /fleet <message> I can't select a 'fleet' option from my chat box even though all my other chat channels are listed.
    ---
    - Damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead!
  • Options
    admsimadmsim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have the same problem but mine started last August and is more severe than what I have read so far. Unless a person is on my friends list, they cant talk to me nor can I see them in any chat channel. It will tell them I am either ignoring them or not accepting it.

And before anyone says something, I have verified my privacy settings are allowing all; I've done that about 5 times now.

FOR CRYPTIC: Bug TKT # 1,468,157

Also, this is the 3rd tkt I have submitted about this. Even had a GM in game verify it was a bug. Still nothing and I don't expect to talk much in this game going forward.
    "STO is like a box of chocolates, you never know what bug you're gonna get."

Original Join Date: Jan 2010
  • Options
    ren73ren73 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    STILL NOT SORTED AND NO COMMUNICATION FROM DEVS....refund for a lifetime sub available ? seeing as I cant chat in an MMO!!!
  • Options
    bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sounds like maybe it altered the channel settings on your tabs. Right-click on the tab and make sure it's set to include the channels you're missing.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • Options
    ren73ren73 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have done all that and re-installed the game twice....
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been without any kind of chat since at least November, normally I have my chat window minimized so I didn't notice when it started. I get nothing in Local or Zone chat, I can sit for hours at ESD/DS9 etc and only have the yellow system messages in the chat, I'm not in any fleets and my friends don't play any more so I have no chat going on. The only time I do get any chat is on the odd occasion when I'm AFK and someone fleet invites me, if I'm away long enough I can have quite a list before I decline the invite.

So that makes me think it's a bug with the channels we're subscribed to, so does anyone know how to unsubscribe from Zone chat, that might be all that it needs to reset it.
  • Options
    intrudernlintrudernl Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bejaymac wrote: »
    I've been without any kind of chat since at least November, normally I have my chat window minimized so I didn't notice when it started. I get nothing in Local or Zone chat, I can sit for hours at ESD/DS9 etc and only have the yellow system messages in the chat, I'm not in any fleets and my friends don't play any more so I have no chat going on. The only time I do get any chat is on the odd occasion when I'm AFK and someone fleet invites me, if I'm away long enough I can have quite a list before I decline the invite.

So that makes me think it's a bug with the channels we're subscribed to, so does anyone know how to unsubscribe from Zone chat, that might be all that it needs to reset it.

Well for me the command "/Whitelist_chat 0" worked
  • Options
    pissycutapissycuta Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would like to know if anyone found a solution to this bug? as OP said it's getting annoying....

Each time i login or swap maps i get Joined channel Zone, Joined Channel Fleet, Left channel Fleet.... can't see anything typed in Fleet or select Fleet from the chat drop down box... and i tried the /Fleet command which didn't work... because apparently i am not in a fleet... i do have a SB, mine and embassy and a whole fleet roster.... :D

[Failed] Not in a fleet. :eek:
  • Options
    ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've had this problem too. While seeing Risa's local/zone chat as a desolate wasteland is nice, I worry that I'm missing out on fleet messages.

Curiously, in DOFFJOBS I can consistently [at least as far as I can tell] see one person in particular's messages, someone not in my fleet or friend list. Just a random person.
  • Options
    cyberfoxx01cyberfoxx01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm suffering from this bug as well. Completely silent local/zone chat, and only seeing one half of a conversation in custom chat channels.

EDIT: Tried "/Whitelist_chat 0", seems to have reenabled local/zone chat. Thing is, I never toggled that setting before to begin with. No clue if custom chat is working 100% yet though.
  • Options
    jarazekjarazek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    intrudernl wrote: »
    Well for me the command "/Whitelist_chat 0" worked

My friend had this problem, and it is confirmed that this fix works. :D
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm suffering from this bug as well. Completely silent local/zone chat, and only seeing one half of a conversation in custom chat channels.

EDIT: Tried "/Whitelist_chat 0", seems to have reenabled local/zone chat. Thing is, I never toggled that setting before to begin with. No clue if custom chat is working 100% yet though.

Had the same problem tried everything, including full reinstalls.. and support were typically 'automated' in their response, so glad i found this little post hidden away here...

"/whitelist_chat 0" works like a charm.. now i can see whats going on once again.. w00t!!

so folks know.. whitelist is the same in our chat system as it is on your mobile phone (blacklists and whitelists) by setting it to 0 you are telling the system all contacts are cool (looked into it after i found this post) also found this stowiki link to the many other command codes available in game...

www.sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_console_commands
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    ambrodeldkambrodeldk Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Since this has been necroed already, I figured I'd give my solution too, as I had the same problem, tried the console command (which worked) and also found the ingame setting for this problem.

Go to Social (three-figure icon below mail next to minimap).
    Go to Find Team or Team Settings tab.
    Click Privacy.
    Allow only friends and fleet to chat: OFF!!!

ON and you can only see F&F in chat, OFF you can see everyone. Only took me a few years to figure out.... :D
  • Options
    heartbrake#3322 heartbrake Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I'm getting a "Insufficient permission" error on chat.
    I do not know why, I never use profanity nor even talk on chat other then explaining to new players what they need to do in the game, and the best way to do them like crafting, leveling and so on. Right now, I can't chat on the chat box at all. I can't PM or talk in Zone chat, or in a Channel or anything because my text never shows. I get the error when I try to use PMs, I do not know what is wrong, but this needs to get fixed as soon as possible because I can NOT use the chat at all no matter what I do.
  • Options
    Bumping this, needs to stay at the top because I can not use chat!!!
    I do not know why, I never use profanity nor even talk on chat other then explaining to new players what they need to do in the game, and the best way to do them like crafting, leveling and so on. Right now, I can't chat on the chat box at all. I can't PM or talk in Zone chat, or in a Channel or anything because my text never shows. I get the error when I try to use PMs, I do not know what is wrong, but this needs to get fixed as soon as possible because I can NOT use the chat at all no matter what I do.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Another bump, third day and I can't use chat in-game at all, this is getting seriously annoying.
    :|

• Options
    adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    My issue with the chat is that it frequently disconnects from the chatsever, leaving me not able to respond on items or even say something. Only means I have to solve it quickly is beam out stations, swicth instances, warp out of systems.
  • Options
    rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Some thoughts, though being a newbie and non accurate here.

1. "landing" on the wrong tab and not the last chosen (either this or 1st from left should be IMO the default), 1st in order from the left, or even the most commonly chosen e.g. by switching char/possibly wrong default tab (who wants for example to have combat tab the default one) this can be changed manually while noticing but it's annoying as it might be the default or the error happens frequently so it has to be changed frequently/each time possibly, and as people may miss conversations without being aware to. This could have been related to customization such as adding/changing order of tabs or accidentally removing then restoring tabs, no idea. Something possibly was positively changed in this regard since recently I had this issue a lot and yesterday and today I didn't notice it at all.

2. The privacy setting issues may cause you to ignore non fleet/friends even if it LOOKS like you allow others to tell or chat. As if an option wasn't stuck or updated in the past. The solution I've found personally to such is press the button AGAIN. you should get a message whitelist disabled for <which option you changed> and then it should apply/stuck. (you might have to do this with multiple characters though.) This issue could have been related to a past change of the privacy option and then restoring which didn't apply/stuck correctly.

P.S.
    @ambrodeldk / @qziqza sometimes the option looks right but is not what it's really set for/not updated or applied. This happened to me.
    Also, I guess the command suggested works, it's just not what I did (I essentially did similarly manually, before encountering your helpful response.)

Other issues to look at when not being able to chat - sometimes chat is offline, or there is some connectivity issue and joining chat channel might take time in such case or impossible. Other potential issues to think of - new silver account limitations (probably not applicable to the poster tough. 20 hours of play across your chars/c-store purchase/at least 1 zen in balance may be the easiest ways to relieve this limitation) or being mute. Not in fleet message while in fleet sounds to me like a temporary connectivity or chat server issue.