test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Spoiler]New Romulus Tier V mission

mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed that cutscene. And it seems like Cryptic got inspired a bit by Prometheus with the holographic recordings and how they were being projected right into the actual environment.
That was one of the (very few) good parts about that movie.

We also finally got our first glimpse of an Iconian, even though it was just a blue, shining silhouette. The small E.T.-like creatures where Dewans, I suppose?

On a technical note, I appreciated seeing D'Tan's face inside of his EV-suit. Any chance we can have that for our charatcers as well?
2bnb7apx.jpg
Post edited by mrspidey2 on

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I did too, that was a really interesting cutscene. Our first appearance of an Iconian, well as clear as pictures of bigfoot. :P

Though how did the Iconian go through the gateway before it was turned on, which resulted in the planetary disaster?

Also, it seemed lazy that the Tier 5 cutscene was in the Tier 4 zone than it's own area. Instead of replaying the Tier 4 mission, why not copy the Tier 4 zone, remove the Tholians (since you stopped them), and have some new obstacles in getting to the gate room?
  • Options
    titus1608titus1608 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I for one haven't seen Prometheus, but I have seen holographic recordings using the environment somewhere before, so the idea doesn't come from that movie.

But I can't remember where I have seen that before...it was about 2-4 years back.

I guess it was in some science fiction series like stargate or something.
  • Options
    auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Care to throw a screenshot at us? Reputation projects are not on my priority list, but I'd definitely be interested in finally catching a glimpse of an Iconian. :)

Cheers.
  • Options
    idontcarenoforumidontcarenoforum Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    auricius wrote: »
    Care to throw a screenshot at us? Reputation projects are not on my priority list, but I'd definitely be interested in finally catching a glimpse of an Iconian. :)

Cheers.

You might wanna speed that up.

You get 30k dil ore and 750 Rom Marks for completing tier 5.
  • Options
    luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You might wanna speed that up.

You get 30k dil ore and 750 Rom Marks for completing tier 5.

Wow, that is cool :-)

I really like what Cryptic did with the cutszenes in the Romulan grind :-)
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I did too, that was a really interesting cutscene. Our first appearance of an Iconian, well as clear as pictures of bigfoot. :P

Though how did the Iconian go through the gateway before it was turned on, which resulted in the planetary disaster?

Its written in the lore accolades in the tier 3 mission.

spoilers

the gateway used to work just fine. the iconians conquered this planet and the dewan saw them as gods (they were the natural inhabitants of the planet) until the alliance attacked them and forced the iconians out, just as they attacked iconnia. the iconaian fled as the fleet was attacking them from orbit.

this attack probably set the dewan's civilization back a fair bit. generations later the dewan re-found the gate and then used it. either through damage or a lack of understanding, that caused the disaster which destroyed their people.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Are you kidding... The cutscene alone (and the 32K Dil) made the grind worth while...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    While im going to most likely get shot for saying I liked prometheus (ducks for cover)

that cutscene was epic.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    vesolcvesolc Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So, I must do missions to get that dil ?:eek:
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    vesolc wrote: »
    So, I must do missions to get that dil ?:eek:

No.. you must do the cutscene
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Also, it seemed lazy that the Tier 5 cutscene was in the Tier 4 zone than it's own area. Instead of replaying the Tier 4 mission, why not copy the Tier 4 zone, remove the Tholians (since you stopped them), and have some new obstacles in getting to the gate room?

This.

Besides that souring the whole affair, I thought it was a cool cutscene. I want to fix and repower the gateway and go through it :P
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I just want to know if you get the bronze sword or not
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    vestereng wrote: »
    Nope, no cheesy sword, just another 'pet' unlock for your Romulan Rep store...
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited December 2012

No swords. I too expected a replica sword of the Raptor Star, well maybe some other time in a featured episode series.

Otherwise I loved it except for the fact that it forces you to completely replay the T4 mission. Really? They allow the Tholians to try blowing up the planet twice? The same way? Is that a thing with Romulans and homeworlds? Not very attached are we?
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Is there at least a story conclusion to the sword then ?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Is there at least a story conclusion to the sword then ?

I think thats a long term thing... The rep system actually leaves more questions open, than answered... but thats not unusual.
  • Options
    cratchmastercratchmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You know, one of the things I was looking forward to when completing Tier 5 was getting the Romulan/Reman entourage. I assumed they'd be pets like the mugato. Unfortunatly, they have a 4 hour timer, then you get to buy them again. Really? I loved the cutscene and the huge rom mark and dilithium reward, but after all o fthat grind having a 4 hour pet kind of seems insulting. Oh well, guess I just won't buy them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Did we find out what the "alpha predator" was/is ?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    auricius wrote: »

Cheers.
    While I can't provide a screenshot, the silhouette is consistent with this concept art from the earlier stages of STO's development

http://www.stowiki.org/images/thumb/f/fa/Iconian_Concept.png/180px-Iconian_Concept.png

As for the sword, D'Tan's people already have it. You can see it in the Tier IV cutscene when D'Tan shows you his lab.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    sito1jastsito1jast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Did we find out what the "alpha predator" was/is ?

No, the Hirogen from the tier 2 mission cutscene says something along the lines of "he hopes the prey of this world the romulan promised him isnt the thing by the waterfall"

So the Tal shair obviously know what it is.
  • Options
    nobscunobscu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I would very much appreciate the cutscene being posted to youtube or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tanadanattanadanat Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    I think thats a long term thing... The rep system actually leaves more questions open, than answered... but thats not unusual.

That isn't a bad thing you realize...
    It does give options for more being added on later.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    While I can't provide a screenshot, the silhouette is consistent with this concept art from the earlier stages of STO's development

http://www.stowiki.org/images/thumb/f/fa/Iconian_Concept.png/180px-Iconian_Concept.png

As for the sword, D'Tan's people already have it. You can see it in the Tier IV cutscene when D'Tan shows you his lab.

In the Tier IV cutscene, he says it's a template used in making the actual sword. They don't have it.

Given that the sword is probably a powerful psychic artifact like the Stone of Gol -- as in not just a sword but ancient tech that will allow one person to fight modern armies, I'm guessing its discovery will be a much bigger deal.

If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be something like:

Shard Sword of the Raptor Star

Legendary/Orange

Dmg, CritH, CritD, Psix2

Maybe its tertiary attack is a long cooldown ranged Psi attack or maybe it has nanopulse-style deflection.
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Got to tier V. Got the space ability. Didn't get a mission. Went to New Romulus. Asked around. Was told to go to the Tier IV area. So I did. Ran the whole thing through again. Completed it. Didn't get any cutscene. Finally left after searching around for consoles, and THEN the game gives me the mission.

I'm usually pretty easily annoyed with these little bugs, but not being able to go back in for another 20 hours just puts it in a whole different league. I have nothing polite to say to you today, Cryptic. You can guess the rest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    ... Romulan/Reman entourage... have a 4 hour timer...

lmao great that's the one thing I was doing the romulan reputation for /insert swearing

All other pets in the game are permanent amirite, why exactly was this decision made souns like a bad joke. A non-combat pet would possible harm could it do it doesn't do anything.

Anyone down to start a petition this is really hurtful to me

/edit

ps. I don't care what I have to pay for a permanent version but a consumable not even once

pps. you know it would have been nice if it said "consumable" in the discription like all the other consumables do
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    The Entourage should've been an unlock with a lengthy cooldown, IMHO.
    Its written in the lore accolades in the tier 3 mission.

spoilers

the gateway used to work just fine. the iconians conquered this planet and the dewan saw them as gods (they were the natural inhabitants of the planet) until the alliance attacked them and forced the iconians out, just as they attacked iconnia. the iconaian fled as the fleet was attacking them from orbit.

this attack probably set the dewan's civilization back a fair bit. generations later the dewan re-found the gate and then used it. either through damage or a lack of understanding, that caused the disaster which destroyed their people.

See, Cryptic didn't make that clear at all. You say the Iconian left when the planet was under attack, yet there was no indication that they were under attack.

The Iconian argued with the Dewan, left through the gate, the Dewans fliddled with the machine, then BOOM, all heck broke loose like it was the planetary disaster had begun.
  • Options
    oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    See, Cryptic didn't make that clear at all. You say the Iconian left when the planet was under attack, yet there was no indication that they were under attack.

The Iconian argued with the Dewan, left through the gate, the Dewans fliddled with the machine, then BOOM, all heck broke loose like it was the planetary disaster had begun.
    There are 2 sources of information, the 'The History of New Romulus' data chips and the 'tablets' you can read when you do the T3 mission. There are about 8 of the tablets and you get 1 per run through. The text appears in the accolades you get for find / reading them.

STOwiki has the complete set here http://www.stowiki.org/Accolade/Lore_Accolade#History_of_New_Romulus
    I couldn't be bothered to redo the T3 mission to collect all 8, but they are the important ones for this bit if the story.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    There are 2 sources of information, the 'The History of New Romulus' data chips and the 'tablets' you can read when you do the T3 mission. There are about 8 of the tablets and you get 1 per run through. The text appears in the accolades you get for find / reading them.

STOwiki has the complete set here http://www.stowiki.org/Accolade/Lore_Accolade#History_of_New_Romulus
    I couldn't be bothered to redo the T3 mission to collect all 8, but they are the important ones for this bit if the story.

I appriciate you linking. But you very much misunderstand the conversation.

I was not saying I lacked the information, I was saying that the cutscene conflicts with the Dewan Accolade story and the Romulan Story.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The History of New Romulus: Volume 1, Chapter 3
    HISTORY TEXT GOES HERE
    Enlightening.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2012

well not quite. the explosions started before the iconian left, as you see them being thrown around which shows something bad is happening under their watch.

finding the tablets and knowing to look for the lore writing under the accolade list (and you have to find several as they are random) is not very clear at all. that could have been handled much better. the information should appear when you look at the tablet rather than having to hunt through your own journal to find it.

however once you read the tablets it becomes fairly clear, the reason for the crater section on new romulus is from the orbital bombardment for example.
This discussion has been closed.