test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Gateway is Now Available

Comments

• ukkorbyukkorby Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Awesome!

I'll be sure to test it and provide any feedback!
  • rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    From looks of it ,this is STO's "armory " . a Few remarks after first access :

- how would you link builds ( in chat or otherwise ) without compromising - in any way- security ? That's one of the main features of the aforementioned armory

- ability to check stats-change if you were to change skillpoints/gear would be useful

- personal shields/armor/weapons/kits are not showing for me

elaborating a bit more on how to use it ( write a blog :) ) would be useful .Great start though...
  • clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is a very cool "something extra" for players - thanks! A lot of fun, and definitely brings on the dorkgasm for this Trek geek.

One thing, though: it's showing an extra toon for me as well - but one that I never had at any point. Anyone missing a character? Ha! Thing is, this one isn't even a Tribble toon. Anyone else have a "bonus" (or missing) toon that isn't associated with Tribble?
    366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
    Caprica's Revenge
    (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
  • zaynarzaynar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Looks good. Though I wont have any reason to use it until I can use my Doff and Reputation through it.
  • livinrtblivinrtb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Is it cryptics intention to allow anyone to see what we are useing for skills,weapons and defenses. As a pvp player i do not like this....simply replace ur name and @ handle in the address bar with that of who u would like to inspect and wa la you know what his strengths and weakness are...not kool cryptic not kool...

has this been addressed...

as gateway only works on and of for me...but tested only a few days ago by a DEV
  • hylanvahrhylanvahr Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'll add this to the "known issues" section in the feedback and bugs threads -- a fix is in the pipeline that will have the Gateway always show your ship.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That's great, Brandon, but please let them know that this may very likely be in direct connection to the bug Season 7 introduced with the integrated Starship/Shuttle ship selection. It is this UI change that I believe is one of the prime culprits of the plethora of UI glitches that has appeared since season's launch.

While it's nice that they fixed the interface bug that had mistakenly shown your chosen shuttle's name in place of your active starship's name, character info (when you click another player character and click the little "i" button next to the portrait) still shows you in command of your shuttle. I'm fairly confident this is why Gateway is defaulting to showing our shuttles instead of our starships.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Should we be concerned that it's not on a secure connection?
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The personnel files don't note anything about who the first officer, chief engineer, etc. are.
    livinrtb wrote: »
    Is it cryptics intention to allow anyone to see what we are useing for skills,weapons and defenses. As a pvp player i do not like this....simply replace ur name and @ handle in the address bar with that of who u would like to inspect and wa la you know what his strengths and weakness are...not kool cryptic not kool...

has this been addressed...

as gateway only works on and of for me...but tested only a few days ago by a DEV

I tried doing what you said with another player, and it didn't work. That being said, we should definitely be allowed to see other players' bios, at the very least.
  • chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Should we be concerned that it's not on a secure connection?

Only if the data isn't sent over HTTPS. You can have an HTTP page it items (in the code) set to HTTPS. Some part was, but I don't know enough to know what.

To be safe, add the HTTPS: yourself and make a bookmark to that so you don't forget.

---

When Doffing becomes a part of this, this is how I'd want it to work.

I'd like your missions to match the location you are at in game. Then if you want to move to a different sector, you would select a location, and 'fly' there, probably via a timer. Timer could be tied to warp speed. This would then change your location in game.

I would imagine that you couldn't be logged in to do that, but if you could be on your bridge, that would be so sweet!

Imagine being on your bridge, doing stuff, and telling it where to go via map, either in-game or from Gateway. That would be sweet. It would just have to change where you came out at when you exited bridge.
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hmm ... yes, editing the character@user in the URL will show you someone else's things. I don't care if you see mine, but unless that is intentional, it is bad design. Not so bad here, but Citibank did it with CC numbers ... just change it in the URL and bam, access to someone else's account.

This will be a critical failure if this allows access to doffs and banks and mail ...

Security first, then you wont have to patch huge holes later, instead you will start with a solid wall.
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    Hmm ... yes, editing the character@user in the URL will show you someone else's things. I don't care if you see mine, but unless that is intentional, it is bad design. Not so bad here, but Citibank did it with CC numbers ... just change it in the URL and bam, access to someone else's account.

This will be a critical failure if this allows access to doffs and banks and mail ...

Security first, then you wont have to patch huge holes later, instead you will start with a solid wall.

Being able to view other player's characters and BOFFs is akin to the original Captain's database -- please note that although you can see your Energy Credit and Dilithium totals, others can not while looking at your character.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • jared1701jared1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Being able to view other player's characters and BOFFs is akin to the original Captain's database -- please note that although you can see your Energy Credit and Dilithium totals, others can not while looking at your character.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The best thing here would be to give players the option of what they want to share kind of like Facebook does... if you want to share just your pic and bio, or is you want to share more like you equipment you can, or if you want to share nothing. Just a little check mark by each heading to allow it to be shared would work... if that's even possible it would be awesome.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard
  • sagison1sagison1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    One of my VADM toons has the maximum number of BOFFs allowed via level + purchased slots from the C-Store. The Gateway is only showing the first 48.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited December 2012

You'll also note that if viewing one of your own characters, it says 'Welcome back <name>', whereas if you're looking at someone else's character, it says 'Personnel file for <name>', so Gateway knows that you're not looking at your own characters.

I'm quite happy we can see other people's characters, if I can't share links to my profile, or look at others, I would find it kind of pointless. I wouldn't mind if we could see skills and stuff too, like WoW's Armory, where you can see talents, and if you are the owner of the character, you have greater access, like handling auctions.
  • paxottomanpaxottoman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hey how about we not allow the viewing of other people's set ups, and specific strategies being used against one other team in team pvp matches.

Kind of lame to be honest.. There's the whole intrigue of keeping a build and strategy to yourself when pvping..

I think this shouldn't even be allowed, in fact I think this is just a tough sell for you guys to even call it a feature at this point.

What I spent my money on, shouldn't be available for others to view.. It's personal..
    Turkish RP Heroes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2012
    Hi Captains,

Thanks for the continued feedback -- we're monitoring this thread and this one for feedback, and this thread for bugs.

Based on feedback, we plan on providing a way to allow you to "hide" your characters' profiles so they won't be seen by others, if you so choose. Please watch patch notes for this update.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm sure I'd love it if I could actually access it. When I try to load it, it goes "Accessing Secure Personnel Files; Please Wait..." and stays like that until I give up and close the window.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • lgxllgxl Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    with me it shows a deleted toon too..
    Buoyancy
    That fine line between ship or submarine
  • nxnovacatnxnovacat Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Mail function please :P It's looking good otherwise
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jared1701 wrote: »
    The best thing here would be to give players the option of what they want to share kind of like Facebook does... if you want to share just your pic and bio, or is you want to share more like you equipment you can, or if you want to share nothing. Just a little check mark by each heading to allow it to be shared would work... if that's even possible it would be awesome.

In every game I've ever played where view sharing was an option, 99% of the population blocked it out of spite of others blocking it. I'll pretty much guarantee ill not share mine because others won't, and I don't even care if people know my setup.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    According to the Gateway i'm flying a peregrine fighter with SIX bridge stations

http://imageshack.us/f/51/stations.png/

Quit bragging about your uber Peregrine man, it's not cool. ;)

It's showing my main in his shuttle instead of his Mobius too.

Can't wait until the DOFF functionality hits, I'll be able to cycle missions constantly.
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    [...]
    Based on feedback, we plan on providing a way to allow you to "hide" your characters' profiles so they won't be seen by others, if you so choose. Please watch patch notes for this update.
    [...]

Too late, we already know what imba gear the devs are fielding. :P
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I take it the "captains without any equipment" is a known bug. (Not in a mood to read the threads.)

If not, then I sadly inform you none of my 6 toons shows any equipment on. Bridge officers seem to display all that's equipped on them fine, as well as ships. But everything is empty on the "captains".

Also, not sure if you intend to show the bridge officer abilities that are actually slotted on the ships (would be nice to show them in Ens., Lt., Lt.Comm. and Comm. order first; now they're disorganized).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm generally wary of being an armchair developer since there's only so much you can really know about a system without having worked on it yourself, but I'd strongly caution against using plain URL coding as a means for the Gateway thing.

Not only is it difficult to properly strip potentially dangerous strings (since complex characters by definition need to be permitted for character/handle names) but it represents an unnecessary security vector, one more alarming when you consider that Cryptic is potentially making server calls to Holodeck every single time this 'feature' is accessed (rather than locally cacheing results every evening or something).

If you absolutely must have a "captains database", just use a search and don't tie user input into the URL itself
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • drennundrennun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Very cool. It's nice to see even the first step of something that could allow for away from in-game play. Access to mail, perhaps even fleet chat would be huge as would access to the exchange and duty officer system. The layout is smooth both on the computer, ios and android. Can't wait for more features to roll out. Great job.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Takes forever to access from my laptop...smartfone dont even work. Perhaps needs to be tweaked a bit more :)
    DUwNP.gif

• lotar295lotar295 Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    toiva wrote: »
    I take it the "captains without any equipment" is a known bug. (Not in a mood to read the threads.)

Had this glitch as well. But the screen does say its still in beta,so I guess all the bugs haven't been worked out yet.
  • skyline475skyline475 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm never getting the validation e-mail that has the one time code.....
    My Foundry Missions:
    The Wave Empire Series: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=279751
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I see that the January 17 patch notes include stuff for Gateway. But I still can't log in. The lights that suggest it's thinking about my login just blink endlessly. Well, it still says it's in Beta. I wish someone would say whether being unable to get in is expected, or a problem.
  • bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited January 2013
    I haven't been able to get in since this morning. I get a message that says "star trek online is currently down." The last time I got in none of my Captain's equipment showed up. I've tried it in Chrome and IE9, nada. But, I can get into the game and the forums fine.