test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Away teams randomly vanishing and then falling from 150+ meters

evil70thevil70th Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
While testing a map design for a new mission, I am designing; the away teams NPCs keep randomly disappearing. They fall from more than 150 meters and slam into the ground and are rendered unconscious. If there is an object, such as a building, at the location where they hit the ground you cannot get to them to revive them. I tested one of my published missions that I published long before the season and subsequent updates. The away team does not seem to have the same issue as I see in testing within the foundry. I am wary of making any changes to published missions for fear they will suddenly have this problem. Is anyone else seeing this?

There is also a very annoying latency issue throughout the game that causes my characters to move slower than others even when I run. While I am moving across any map I see other players and NPCs blink in and out. They disappear and reappear further along the map. It?s almost like the program is skipping.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    What's your base map? I keep seeing weird similar bugs related to the game moving things to the 0/0/0 point for arbitrary reasons.

Then there's another issue with Vulcan ground where the game gets confused by the fact that 0 altitude is actually high above the actual ground.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • evil70thevil70th Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    What's your base map? I keep seeing weird similar bugs related to the game moving things to the 0/0/0 point for arbitrary reasons.

Then there's another issue with Vulcan ground where the game gets confused by the fact that 0 altitude is actually high above the actual ground.

I tried it on several different exterior maps and it kept happening. The exterior maps I prepared prior to the season 7 update do not appear to be effected, but the interior map seems to have the same issue.

It needs to be fixed. My current published missions seem unaffected by this issue, but I do not want to try and update them until this issue is fixed.
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    evil70th wrote: »
    I tried it on several different exterior maps and it kept happening. The exterior maps I prepared prior to the season 7 update do not appear to be effected, but the interior map seems to have the same issue.

It needs to be fixed. My current published missions seem unaffected by this issue, but I do not want to try and update them until this issue is fixed.

Other people are experiencing this, but it doesn't seem to happen post publish. Your missions already were auto-republished after the last changes, so the bug should already be present in the currently published form if it happened post publish.
    edited December 2012
    nagorak wrote: »
    Other people are experiencing this, but it doesn't seem to happen post publish. Your missions already were auto-republished after the last changes, so the bug should already be present in the currently published form if it happened post publish.

Thanks Nagorak. I'll keep developing the new mission and hope they fix the bug in the Foundry. Perhaps they will fix the latency issues in and out of the Foundry as well.

Brian
  • zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is not new, and it is not a bug. There is no pathing information for any map before it is published. The pathing information is created as part of the publishing process. :)
    edited December 2012
    This is not new, and it is not a bug. There is no pathing information for any map before it is published. The pathing information is created as part of the publishing process. :)

With all due respect, this specific problem is new. The fact there's no pathing data may not have changed, but the way it's handled in preview has been drastically changed for the worst.

A lot of people are having problems with this. The lack of pathing data now causes warping that is so bad in preview that you basically cannot even test combat. NPCs will jump randomly to the middle of the map from wherever they are, making it so a combat cannot even be completed without running after them. Before NPCs performed mostly fine, except that they would get stuck on walls and such since they didn't know how to get around them.

More information here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=475631
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    you basically cannot even test combat.
    To be fair, this has always been the case, since post publish is a completely different fighting experience. But, it is annoying now if my easy foundry mobs are disappearing or not acting reliably.

Zero's probably just skimming. The list of season 7 foundry bugs is massive. There is probably one person trying to fix it all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    evil70th wrote: »
    While testing a map design for a new mission, I am designing; the away teams NPCs keep randomly disappearing. They fall from more than 150 meters and slam into the ground and are rendered unconscious. If there is an object, such as a building, at the location where they hit the ground you cannot get to them to revive them.

If it helps, I'm getting this in regular maps throughout the game.
    <3
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm going to throw my weight in here too and say this may not be the old bug, this is something new.

I think the boffs going nuts is tied in with what is happening with the enemy combat groups. When they disappeared, my boys poofed to the same inaccessible part of the map to fight them during testing. When published live there is no problems.

I didn't voice it separate because the behavior is like when you have two groups of fighting npcs and they do it. I assumed the issues are related.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    All coordinates given with /loc.
    I have this bug on facility 4028 (the prison from the Cardassian chapter). I've set up a fight between targs and feds. Near the end of the fight, the mobs start vanishing, spawning back in the center of the map. They spawn at -75/0/50. Some of them try to reset (I can see the teleporter animation), but are warped back. I also added a lot of invisible walls, because targs used to jump one on top of another (it was not intended, and no, they didn't make babies that way) and jump over the wall, even the tall walls. I added several invisible walls, so even if they skip one, they can't reach the player and reset back. Dunno if it's related.
    My BOFF fall to this location for no reasons.
    All of them spawn half buried in the ground, one on top of another. Ever seen a pile of targs ? Because I did. And no babies again.

Also, I have some mobs getting warped away from their spawn, into a wall. They should spawn on 50/-40/-20, and spawn around 95/0/-51 (13m away from me, inside a wall)

Those bugs are new, the map was working before New Romulus, I was just correcting the typos and grammar before publishing.

I don't know if it's happening only on preview mode or also when published, and this is annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited December 2012

This has nothing to do with pathing. I am familiar with how that works but this is entirely different. You can even tell as soon as you spawn an away team in the foundry that there is something seriously wrong and as well when you try to add NPC groups they vanish once you get around 150 meters from them. As a suggestion I would *suggest* that someone at Cryptic recreate this which its not hard I came across it very easily and then let us know if you still think this is the old bug because I can guarantee you this is not what you think it is.
    edited December 2012

With due respect, in all the developing I have done for missions I have seen my away team fall off a map but have never seen them fly hundreds of meters into the air and then slam into the ground. We all know you will find holes in maps every once in a while and report them when we do find them, but I have not seen this before. Regardless of where I have the spawn point I move with my away team in any direction and up they go.

Thanks for looking into this.
    Brian
    edited December 2012
    Every time I preview a ground map that I'm working on, as soon as I start walking around, my away team disappears (fading away before my eyes). It's not that they get stuck and are too far away from me. They are less than 5 feet away from me as I watch them each fade to nothing until my toon is left alone on the ground map.

This doesn't seem to be map specific and it's happening on both exterior and interior Cryptic made sets.

Here is what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIvE6W4BPY&feature=youtu.be

Steps to replicate.

1. Preview a ground or interior, walk around, and watch boffs fade to nothing.

This is new, and it means that we can't test combat on ground maps prior to publishing the maps, since we have no boffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    I noticed that earlier and did some testing:
    I did some more testing and made pictures.

My new testing confirms my earlier hypothesis. My Boffs WERE getting relocated to the zero point on the map.(the location of 0/0/0 coordinates)

For some reason on ground exterior maps the zero point is (at least sometimes) outside the actual map.

before

Here we have a tiny wall that barely protrudes above ground.

after

But my boffs "trip" on it and warp to the zero point. Yeah, I can see the location of my boffs on the mini map. I've had this happen in at least one other exterior ground map and it was the same location then too.

Prior to season 7, this same scenario would cause my boffs to stop moving and stand there like idiots.
    This seems to happen for ANY reason the Boffs would need to path around something. In the pictures I used a tiny wall that is so low you can WALK over it. (IIRC) when they reach it they warp to the zero point.... Why? The expected behavior is for them to path around it by jumping.

I have seen this in some situations where there was no objects visible that they were trying to path around. But... those were situations involving submerged objects. They were moving over something I recessed into the ground.

But.... I can't say for certain that I have a complete list of causes for this behavior. I've seen some other really flaky stuff. The map I'm using for Zelatta ground has really screwball map spawn behavior. apparently the game is trying to spawn me 20 feet under ground..... then relocates me to the actual spawn point.... My Boffs sometimes blink out on this map immediately after spawning. I've also seen them spawn dead..... that was REALLY weird.... they started in a KOed state, but at the normal spawn location.

Does your example have any objects that are currently invisible but set to appear later? Redshirt#2 looked like he was trying to run around something while disappearing. Didn't see #1, #3 and #4 appeared to disappear while bumping into the doorjamb.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2012
    This is the same bug that's happening in space, except on the ground. Whenever NPCs need to use (nonexistent) pathing data in preview they just warp to 0,0,0 wherever that happens to be. Before they used to just make do without it and get stuck, which was better than completely disappearing.

Basically it seems like warping to 0,0,0 has been added as some sort of failsafe when the pathing fails, which it does all the time in preview.
    edited December 2012
    I've been testing this on maps, and nearly every interior that I've tested is bugged. Your boffs quickly disappear, sometimes forever, and other times they relocate to a spot in the black of the map.

They just vanish, which means that we cannot test combat. If I knew more about the tech, I'd say for certain that there is some kind of bug that is spreading and getting worse. The exteriors, so far, seem better than the interiors, but most of the interior.s.. the boffs are just ghosts. They vanish, seemingly at random.

Sometimes they respawn briefly somewhere else but most of the time they seem to die, leaving you friendless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    apparently the game is trying to spawn me 20 feet under ground..... then relocates me to the actual spawn point.... My Boffs sometimes blink out on this map immediately after spawning. I've also seen them spawn dead..... that was REALLY weird.... they started in a KOed state, but at the normal spawn location.

This is also happening to me, on non-customized Cryptic maps. You never know what you're going to get when you hit the "Reset Map." I've seen npcs spawn as corpses. Or they don't spawn at all, or they finally spawn and then instantly become ghosts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    This is the same bug that's happening in space, except on the ground. Whenever NPCs need to use (nonexistent) pathing data in preview they just warp to 0,0,0 wherever that happens to be. Before they used to just make do without it and get stuck, which was better than completely disappearing.

Basically it seems like warping to 0,0,0 has been added as some sort of failsafe when the pathing fails, which it does all the time in preview.

If this is the sign of a pathing fail, then it must fail every 3 seconds in the Foundry preview. I think your theory is wise.

I'm just not sure how I will make missions with that fail safe in preview. Basically, I'll have to use the preview to build sets and then each mission will have weeks of "Yes, this is published, but DO NOT PLAY! Testing in progress."

Meh... it's not like we can actually test combat anyway. But, it will be incredibly frustrating for new authors who have no idea how scaling and mobs work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    Oh I know what you mean there... less than a minute after starting a map my Boffs are gone....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I'm just not sure how I will make missions with that fail safe in preview. Basically, I'll have to use the preview to build sets and then each mission will have weeks of "Yes, this is published, but DO NOT PLAY! Testing in progress."

Meh... it's not like we can actually test combat anyway. But, it will be incredibly frustrating for new authors who have no idea how scaling and mobs work.

Yes, this is the major problem. Also, the really bad thing is it makes it difficult to even run through a mission that has any combat (to test anything besides combat), because the NPC groups disappear and you have to run all around the map tracking them down, if you can even reach them. A lot of times you don't even have a chance to target and use the kill NPC button on all of them before they're gone.

It means we might as well just not even have preview for anything other than viewing sets. I suppose you can just put all the combats in last, but that's really clunky.
    edited December 2012
    Yes, this is the major problem. Also, the really bad thing is it makes it difficult to even run through a mission that has any combat (to test anything besides combat), because the NPC groups disappear and you have to run all around the map tracking them down, if you can even reach them. A lot of times you don't even have a chance to target and use the kill NPC button on all of them before they're gone.

It means we might as well just not even have preview for anything other than viewing sets. I suppose you can just put all the combats in last, but that's really clunky.

This is also a new problem as I have never had this problem while working on previous missions prior to Season 7. I have always used the publish testing as my final check before I release a mission for general play.

I'm sure they are working on it. ;)
    edited December 2012
    Here is what Bajoran Fire Cave is like:

http://youtu.be/1MJIk2BPBNo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • commanderleetacommanderleeta Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, this is happening now; and no, it didn't used to happen.

I wouldn't mind so much, because you could always publish the partial mission just to test it for a little bit, and then withdraw the publish.

Unfortunately, though, as of today, it seems that publishing is once again broken. Everything halts at 50%.
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    well, it would seem I too have this same problem. I'm using the map used in the episode that you use to be able to get the universal borg console from?

I'm using the map where you fight the boss. And two things keep happening:

1- my away team members dissappear and it shows that they are like 500m away, then they die...?!?

2 - the group of borg that I have placed on that map (a task to kill the enemy), when it comes time to fight them, one by one they dissappear !?!?

Will this mean that when I am finished creating my entire Mission entitled "Long Lost Friend 2" --as you can imagine I've published " 1 ", it was my first creation recently.

This second one I been working on, (the one I am currently having troubles with , as mentioned above), does what I described.

Not in all the maps, just in the last one I mentioned. Though it has acted funny sometimes in other maps.

I too have noticed groups of npcs falling from the sky in every map I place them.

Yeppers. so ,,, any advice? thoughts?
    edited December 2012
    Try a publish and see if that fixes it. AFAIK the issue with preview is the lack of pathing data. For some reason NPCs are having their coordinates get reset to 0/0/0. This causes them to disappear at random, sometimes for identifiable reasons, sometimes not....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I had a similar issue with this on a space map believe it or not. I created a pretty generic space map and when I would load in to test it a Security Officer can be seen outside the ship repeatedly falling as if involved in some sick Q Portal game.

Not sure if that's related or not, but I wouldn't figure that away team members would be outside the ship on a space map.
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Also I guess on a side note when using the TOS Ship Interior map and the TOS Bridge map the away team doesn't seem to stay with you. I attempted to even to spawn in the Engineering room and they hit a wall and away they would go. Ultimately I would have liked them to spawn in the Turbolift but they either never show up or are stuck behind the walls. Looking at the spawn point radius on the map they should all fit in there, but it's really hard to say with that issue.
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Try a publish and see if that fixes it. AFAIK the issue with preview is the lack of pathing data. For some reason NPCs are having their coordinates get reset to 0/0/0. This causes them to disappear at random, sometimes for identifiable reasons, sometimes not....

Good idea. I was thinking about doing that. It's just, I didn't do that yet, cause I don't want people who are, well, easy to say bad things..... to say bad things, because it didn't correct itself after publish....

plus I have a couple more maps to do.

yet if this is not fixed after todays patching update, then I will try that. This one is called "Long Lost Friend 2" the one I'm working on. It's got some comedy in it, and I think a fun idea for a mission.

Course Time travel is involved.... :)

Oh, and , drudgy, that actually is happening to me as well. If I begin from the start of the story, I'll see a green target on the map, and it'll be a security officer! So , not having the correct officers beam down, is also a definit constant so far.

And also, what you said about the TOS ship interior, I used it for my first episode I created a few days ago, it's published and available for people to play now. That one is called "Long Lost Friend."

Well anyways, I chose the spawn point to be in the engineering room, and thankfully everyone beams in good.

But I have had that problem as well.

One of the cool things I've done in the 2nd episode I'm creating, is a klingon ship comes to the rescue of your main fed character in a battle. I did that by using the fed npc group, but choosing a klingon ship for the costume.

anyhow

I hope they fix the issues.
    edited December 2012
    drudgy wrote: »
    I had a similar issue with this on a space map believe it or not. I created a pretty generic space map and when I would load in to test it a Security Officer can be seen outside the ship repeatedly falling as if involved in some sick Q Portal game.

Not sure if that's related or not, but I wouldn't figure that away team members would be outside the ship on a space map.
    That's an issue with redshirts following a captain in preview mode... for some reason they don't always despawn when you transition from ground to space. If you have real Boffs they work properly(yes, I know, MUCH easier said than done), it's just redshirts that have issues.

The TOS issue sounds like the same bug with Boffs moving to the 0/0/0 point at random.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2012
    drudgy wrote: »
    Also I guess on a side note when using the TOS Ship Interior map and the TOS Bridge map the away team doesn't seem to stay with you. I attempted to even to spawn in the Engineering room and they hit a wall and away they would go. Ultimately I would have liked them to spawn in the Turbolift but they either never show up or are stuck behind the walls. Looking at the spawn point radius on the map they should all fit in there, but it's really hard to say with that issue.

In general your away team should be able to spawn with you in the turbolift. The radius is small enough for it to work. Just make sure the point is centered. It does suck that you probably can't test this before publishing with the current bug. :(

Another unrelated thing that I've always wondered about is why don't our missions have pathing data when they've already been published and we preview them? It seems like defaulting to the published version's pathing would be better than having none. Sure you could change the geometry and cause problems, but with no pathing data you have problems all the time.
This discussion has been closed.