test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: November 2012

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited December 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
In this brand-new edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Daniel Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions.

Link to the Ask Cryptic.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Q: (tatterdemalion1) When is crafting going to be reworked? Aside from the Aegis set, there?s nothing craftable we can make that we can?t buy in the Dilithium Store, so what?s the point of all those crafting materials apart from putting them towards Fleet Projects?

Dstahl: Crafting is slated to get its own Reputation System and we also want to revamp the system. The earliest time frame the revamp will happen would be in Season 9 or later, but we may be able to get the Reputation system and rewards out sooner. We?ll have to see how Season 8 goes first.

Why do I get the impression that all my accumulated crafting skill will be robbed from my toons and I'll have to start all over again ?
    :(
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Because, you will, just like the STFs, just like all of us.

Ok I am confused. Dan stated these in the Q&A.

Q: (ebrithil1) As much as I love all the new content you've been pushing out for the Feds, I like my Klingons too. When can we expect to see you fulfill the promise you made to expand the content on the red side?

Dstahl: Personally, I?m still very committed to ensuring the KDF has levels 1-50, more so than I can even publicly talk about because it would involve going into details about all the internal conversations I?ve had within the company about this topic. It is my goal as EP to make this happen and the only thing that I can give you is that I?m fighting for it and want to do it. It just isn?t official yet.

Q: (vawlkus) Please tell me there?s a timeline to get Klingon?s back to starting at level 1. I flat our refuse to start a new character at level 20. Even if the missions aren?t there, let us figure out our way upwards.

Dstahl: Totally agree with you and I?m working on it getting it approved and have been ever since I returned as EP. I?m not giving up on this.

And yet, during the Season 7 Update! More Changes Inbound! Posted Nov 20, 2012 thread, he states the following.
    dastahl wrote: »
    That's not really fair and not representative of our relationship with PW. Yes we have budgets and goals, but they are not involved in our game design. All the changes in Season 7 were Cryptic's doing and we are more than willing to change based on feedback. PW is really not the big bad guys. Jack on the other hand... :P
    dastahl wrote: »
    To be fair to Jack - he has been the most vocal champion of the changes that you see in this list. He plays STO a lot and always has really good feedback. I just like to blame him for things because he's fun to tease.

If there is anyone that deserves the shame, it is me because ultimately the buck stops here and if something goes live, I approved it.

Luckily, I can also change it :)

Fortunately, Season 6 (and now Season 7) have been such positive improvements to the game (and the health of the business), I've been able to increase my staff and for the first time in Season 8 - tackle something awesome and on my long standing engineering report to do list.

If things keep going this way - the team will be able to start knocking off all of the features and content goals we've had since day one. It really is a good time for STO and we hope that with your support - it continues!

So I am confused. If Dan has ultimate say as EP on what goes in and what stays out, why is he needing anything approved?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Q: (tatterdemalion1) When is crafting going to be reworked? Aside from the Aegis set, there?s nothing craftable we can make that we can?t buy in the Dilithium Store, so what?s the point of all those crafting materials apart from putting them towards Fleet Projects?

Dstahl: Crafting is slated to get its own Reputation System and we also want to revamp the system. The earliest time frame the revamp will happen would be in Season 9 or later, but we may be able to get the Reputation system and rewards out sooner. We?ll have to see how Season 8 goes first.

Here comes the added dilithium costs onto the crafting system, you thought it was already worthless then? Just you wait.

Answering a few fluff questions, doesn't actually give players concerns a rest nor does it show that you intend on solving the underlining problems with the game daStahl. Furthermore, where is my Trait reset ;)

lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Why do I get the impression that all my accumulated crafting skill will be robbed from my toons and I'll have to start all over again ?

Because you will be robbed without a question. Just like Cryptic robbed fleets work by nerfing requirements after they ( the players ) already paid through the nose for the projects and Cryptic gave nothing back in return for the resources squandered.

Doesn't really matter though, because they didn't nerf them enough, they should remove dilithium from base requirements all together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited November 2012

So I am confused. If Dan has ultimate say as EP on what goes in and what stays out, why is he needing anything approved?

He is Brilliant and should go into politics as his next career - it's just one big circle with the KDF to keep you going - wait -what - ok I just can't think about it - do whatever.

See my threat:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=461121
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mewi wrote: »
    Answering a few fluff questions, doesn't really answer the underlining problems with the game Stahl.[/color]

wrong .He already said that they will slowly turn every system this game has into a repu...I mean sink which will reward the players left alive (most people are mortals) after a long waiting period with something purple which will be nefed by the time the sink time waiting period ends :rolleyes:

short: more sinks ...less rewards ...more waiting.

now Ill move to a train station at least there I can legally wait :P

as for those things promissed (retrait tokens ,bugs fixed ,pvp :D ,less obvious greed ) ...we'll have to wait .At least they could add the to a reputation system lol
    edited November 2012
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    wrong .He already said that they will slowly turn every system this game has into a repu...I mean sink which will reward the players left alive (most people are mortals) after a long waiting period with something purple which will be nefed by the time the sink time waiting period ends :rolleyes:

short: more sinks ...less rewards ...more waiting.

now Ill move to a train station at least there I can legally wait :P

as for those things promissed (retrait tokens ,bugs fixed ,pvp :D ,less obvious greed ) ...we'll have to wait .At least they could add the to a reputation system lol

Wait... how was I wrong again?
    He is Brilliant and should go into politics as his next career - it's just one big circle with the KDF to keep you going - wait -what - ok I just can't think about it - do whatever.

See my threat:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=461121

I can see it now: "Dan Stahl quits Cryptic, now introducing, Dan Stahl V2.0, welcome him as if he was actually a different person in real life o.o!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012

So, because I'm not lazy and did the progression I have to suffer because the people who aren't doing the crafting progression and want to buy the skill outright are pushing for the change ?

I can choose to walk away from the new STF reputation system, it's not so easy with the crafting system because I can't sell my accumulated skills, and I sometimes need to craft an oddball piece for a particular mission. It's won't be fun if I gotta pay 10's of thousands in ec and dilith for the 'right' to make a 500ec piece of gear.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited November 2012

those were not fluff questions and answers :p

the conclusion after that was "more sinks" .I dont think he was "fluffing" about that and questions were good because it will create a future plan for your grin...I mean dilithium wallet .Cant you just see the positive sides for a second :rolleyes:
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I can see it now: "Dan Stahl quits Cryptic, now introducing, Dan Stahl V2.0, welcome him as if he was actually a different person in real life o.o!"

No I am serious I think he should run for office - maybe a Senator or something - politics is where he belongs - he has the spin factor that could take him to the White House!

I vote for President of the United States - Daniel Stahl
    edited November 2012
    No I am serious I think he should run for office - maybe a Senator or something - politics is where he belongs - he has the spin factor that could take him to the White House!

I vote for President of the United States - Daniel Stahl

He'll probably put a Dilithium fee on the voting booths though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hehe, an adventure zone on the Planet of Galactic Peace.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Q: (xxxhellspawnyxxx) Will you make Fleet Marks available via PvP Matches at some point?

Dstahl: Yes. This is going to happen.

YES! :eek:
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hehe, an adventure zone on the Planet of Galactic Peace.

It'll just be a big desert map, with Paradise City in the middle. But I'm hoping it'll have expanded in size at least.

Or better yet, just make the entire adventure zone Paradise City. A city adventure map would be awesome.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What was promised in Six for Seven was moved to Eight. What was promised in Seven has been delayed until "later in the season" and also Season Eight. Vague promises that things will REALLY improve in Season 9.

*headdesk*

:rolleyes:

What more needs to be said. Really...
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I hope we'll eventually get that option to change our First Officers into our Captains and back. I really do. But nobody's brought it up since... since...

When was it talked about anyway? STOWiki didn't quite tell me when it was.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The helpful suggestion is bellow the Quote box.

The Following is a slight whine about the KDF situation, especially in light of what was said only a couple of weeks ago. I've put it in a Quote box so you can skip it if you feel like it.
    A couple of weeks ago you pretty much said That Season 8 will be the KDF season, and yet you've not even gotten the go ahead, its about ~6 months away. Why do I feel we're getting boned again?

Roach will have to change his signature again. :cool:

I do have one additional question. At what point is it not ok to ignore your players? I mean once the 20% of players that play Klingons have gotten TRIBBLE off and buggered off, is it ok to ignore the Science ship players, as they'll be the next smallest faction?

(I drive a science ship on the KDF side, so I'm doubly boned. Granted I only drive the ship because its the only ship option for me!)

Annoyed? Slightly.
    Saddened? You bet ya.
    Surprised? Not in the least.

How about another for the KDF, to give a little back? As most KDF players are going to be very tight fisted with their money after getting hosed so many times.

So one thing that is an idea is new skins for all the top ships, and priced at a nice low price. Ya know the micro-transaction idea. A small charge is more likely to have the KDF players paying.

Make some race specific and alternate skins for existing ships. As a Gorn Tactical I gotta fly a Varnaus, because its the only Gorn ship that exists. I'd much rather be in a Battle crusier or a Raptor, but there's no Gorn skins for either.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So, because I'm not lazy and did the progression I have to suffer because the people who aren't doing the crafting progression and want to buy the skill outright are pushing for the change ?

I can choose to walk away from the new STF reputation system, it's not so easy with the crafting system because I can't sell my accumulated skills, and I sometimes need to craft an oddball piece for a particular mission. It's won't be fun if I gotta pay 10's of thousands in ec and dilith for the 'right' to make a 500ec piece of gear.

In the case of STFs, the systems team seemed adamant that collecting gear pre-S7 was not a progression system and that there was nothing TO grandfather.

However, the existing crafting is explicitly a progression system. And should be grandfathered.

And existing crafting ALREADY costs dilithium so it's not like they'd ruin it by adding dilithium costs. At least, they'd really have to TRY to ruin it further.
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dstahl: So far, we?ve only been able to build a few special replica bridges per year, but this is one of the bridges that we agree would be nice to have on the KDF side. We have long term plans to make some Gorn episodes, and in fact Season 7 was originally going to take place on the Gorn Homeworld, but was changed to New Romulus for reasons that will be revealed later. When we do come back and visit the Gorn (and possibly the Voth as well) we will get the opportunity to throw non-Klingon bridges onto the schedule.

It makes me sad to think we could have had the Gorn homeworld, and instead we got what we got.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Why are those of us who live in Europe, paying higher prices for Zen and receiving less?
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am just absolutely FLOORED that he once again answered the SAME questions with the SAME answers, just shifted the times ahead by a season or so.

That's what I'm shaking my head over.

Know what? We need a new EP. Plain and simple. One who knows MMOs, one who doesn't lie to our faces and treat us like we are stupid.
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Why are those of us who live in Europe, paying higher prices for Zen and receiving less?

Cuz you monies are wurth more then ares.
  • whitecloud197whitecloud197 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    AMBASSADOR CLASS!

Finally!!

Ohh how I been waiting for that ship, tho it might not be good, I fell in love with it in "Yesterdays Enterprise"

I cant wait, I have several questions id love to get in on next Q&A hopefully they will get answered.

I loved reading this months Q&A, a lot of good information and plans for the future, altho a lot of people have a lot of good points being sometimes it feels were getting the run around in Re to the Klingon Faction.

I geuss ill just save my questions for next Q&A entry
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2012

They will put it in a Box that's all wrapped up in Reputation, and it'll even have a pretty glow all around it...

Then after three months, you'll be able to open it and be surprised.

[/sarcasm]
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited November 2012

Ok I am confused. Dan stated these in the Q&A.

Q: (ebrithil1) As much as I love all the new content you've been pushing out for the Feds, I like my Klingons too. When can we expect to see you fulfill the promise you made to expand the content on the red side?

Dstahl: Personally, I?m still very committed to ensuring the KDF has levels 1-50, more so than I can even publicly talk about because it would involve going into details about all the internal conversations I?ve had within the company about this topic. It is my goal as EP to make this happen and the only thing that I can give you is that I?m fighting for it and want to do it. It just isn?t official yet.

Q: (vawlkus) Please tell me there?s a timeline to get Klingon?s back to starting at level 1. I flat our refuse to start a new character at level 20. Even if the missions aren?t there, let us figure out our way upwards.

Dstahl: Totally agree with you and I?m working on it getting it approved and have been ever since I returned as EP. I?m not giving up on this.

And yet, during the Season 7 Update! More Changes Inbound! Posted Nov 20, 2012 thread, he states the following.

One Word... Five Letters... Sounds like Bunny... (as in Romulan Rabbit) ;)

The Answer Is...

M O N E Y

One could imagine a situation in which He is probably having to justify spending the extra Time, Resources and
    M O N E Y on further developing the Klingon Faction, while much of the data He already has, shows a Monetary Loss.

That in and oif itself, could be the largest and hardest hurdle to get over, when trying to convince the people who make the BIG Decisions, to okay the expenditure on a project of this nature..
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just ran the interview through the Universal Translator and this is what came back :

Q: Is there any release date yet for the Romulan Faction?
    A: No. The KDF doesn't make money so forget a third faction.

Q: Are there any plans on adding in Dr. Crusher?s medical robe?
    A: If we think enough people will buy it.

Q: With many of the stack sizes recently being updated to 100, why is that hypos and the like are still at 20? Can these please be increased as well?
    A: No.

Q: What did you do the STFs? I can?t remember the last time I?ve been killed but since the Season 7 update, I?ve been killed at least 3 times!
    A: We broke it and hoped no-one would notice.

Q: Have you thought about a Captain/Crew reputation system played much like a mini Starbase for ship interiors?
    A: New dilithium sink? Sure great idea.

Q: When is crafting going to be reworked? Aside from the Aegis set, there?s nothing craftable we can make that we can?t buy in the Dilithium Store, so what?s the point of all those crafting materials apart from putting them towards Fleet Projects?
    A: We'll add the dilithium sink asap but reworking crafting ? ha, ha, ha.

Q: Will we see possible ways of getting MK XII gear from non-store systems in the future?
    A: No, in fact we're going to make it harder.

Q: Can the cost of Starbase feature projects be reduced? The Dilithium cost is stalling current upgrades and projects as it is.
    A: Yes, feature projects don't work as an effective dilithium sink for small fleets so by scaling the costs we can make them a sink for everybody.

Q: Any plans to add more missions to New Romulus? Also, will the map be added and/or hooked up to the Foundry?
    A: Yes.

Q: Will there be more customization of the Starbases?
    A: New dilithium sink? Sure great idea.

Q: Will we ever see a Klingon only adventure zone or Feature Episode series?
    A: No. The KDF don't make money, so forget it.

Q: As much as I love all the new content you've been pushing out for the Feds, I like my Klingons too. When can we expect to see you fulfill the promise you made to expand the content on the red side?
    A: The KDF doesn't make us money, so never.

Q: What form would a playable Romulan faction take? Would it be Senator Harmien's militants? The Tal Shiar? D'Tan's unificationists?
    A: The KDF don't make money, so forget a third faction.

Q: Are you ever going to expand the game in a non-combative way?
    A: Just as soon as we work how to monetize it.

Q: I was curious as to what exciting new additions are on the horizon?
    A: More milking of the Federation cash cow, well it's exciting for us.

Q: Are there any plans for more unique ships made by Cryptic that are Star Fleet ships, or is there a chance to see Federation civilian ships added in-game with more unique ship profiles?
    A: We make money on Starfleet ships so expect to see plenty more.

Q: Can the Orions have their own bridge design?
    A: No.

Q: Any future plans for the Gateway?
    A: Now that turned Duty Officers into a huge Dilithium sink, we want you to be able to use that sink all the time what better way than the Gateway?

Q: Are you going to implement the Ambassador Class at some point? And would it be possible to implement the Old Constitution Class for higher ranks?
    A: Yes, because Federation ships make us money. If we can convience CBS the profit margin is large enough then maybe.

Q: What about missing planets like Trill(us) Prime, Betazed or Khitomer? Any plans for the future?
    A: Yeah, but don't hold your breath.

Q: Please tell me there?s a timeline to get Klingon?s back to starting at level 1. I flat our refuse to start a new character at level 20. Even if the missions aren?t there, let us figure out our way upwards.
    A: The KDF doesn't make us any money, so why would we waste time on this?

Q: One of the little tidbits I enjoyed when talking to Admiral D'Vak was that he mentioned Omega Force wasn't just anti-Borg. In fact, it was a force for dealing with any powerful threats like the Undine and the Iconians. With this is mind, are there any plans to have more "themed" sets like these, whether they are MACO/Honour Guard/Omega variants, or entirely new pieces?
    A: Themed sets are great dilithium sinks, we like dilthium sinks.

Q: Thx for Mol'Rihan. It really feels like a planet surface where people *live*, unlike Defera and Nukara, where everyone are in constant danger. I love to just sit down and chill out on New Romulus, or watch the wild animals running around. I don't want to sound unappeasable, but could we expect other zones like this in the short term, probably by the time of S8?
    A: Yes.

Q: Will we ever be able to send out bridge officers off on separate missions, or have them accompany us to battle in ships we assign them from our own selection?
    A: Maybe, but don't hold your breath.
    edited November 2012
    I think I'll save that post for future referance...

Let's see where we are a year from now...

;)
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    themarie wrote: »
    What was promised in Six for Seven was moved to Eight. What was promised in Seven has been delayed until "later in the season" and also Season Eight. Vague promises that things will REALLY improve in Season 9.

*headdesk*

:rolleyes:

What more needs to be said. Really...
    I'm more surprised by that fact that THAT was any surprise...

That's been the norm for STO: parts of what they initially say is part of a season, is frequently moved back due to internal issues, of all kinds ;)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
    edited November 2012
    Cuz you monies are wurth more then ares.

europe has vat.if you live in a country where vat is 20% (upper limit is 25% ) you will pay 20% more for the same thing.Thats not cryptic or PWE's fault.
    edited November 2012
    ...Well...,

... Their record's not great...

But They do deliver..,

.... Eventually.
    (perhaps another TM acquisition?)

One just has to have the Patience of Job.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I wasnt going to chime in but Iam,

Now and Iam not trying to flame him at all here, but he's (Dan) been saying the same thing since day 1, he wants to improve the kdf as a faction. We are now almost 3 years into the game and hes still saying the same thing, even though once again kdf lack ship deployments, content ect. But continues to mention how they lost money on kdf ships.. well to be frank here, its because you still havent developed the KDF FACTION. Its as simple as that. You cant expect players to go to something that rarely gets content.

He also mentioned that they should do the "if we build it they may come approach" yet has that been instituded. The more fluff and content you pour to the Fed side the less people are going to play the KDF side, and thats fact, sorry to say. If your going to develope a new federation ship, you need (because this is a 2 faction game) to build a kdf counter at the same time. You cant play the "lets put more to one side because it sells". You can sell the KDF side if you put the time and effort into it. 3 years dan.. come on buddy, stop giving us the one liners and lets see something get done.. or is this going to be another 3 years down the road and will get the same speach "iam fighting hard to get things done". Your EP... in the end like you have mentioned the buck stops with you.

And frankly you shouldnt even be thinken of a third faction, NOT ONE bit, because the KDF isnt on par yet and you had mentioned until the kdf is in a place where it should would you be thinking a third faction. And to add to this you cant even give the KDF new ships so how are you going to manage 3 factions.... you honestly thiink you can handle 3.. you know better then that.

What I suggest doing, from now on Dan, is everytime you put a mission out, or new ship, you need to be making a KDF counter to it, and also start working on making the KDF faction, a true faction. Being able to level from 1-50 or soon possibly 1-60. You cant keep saying "iam fighting for the kdf" when there is no sign of this here in the game itself. We see counter to what you are saying.. Change needs to happen now.. rather talk. Thats my 2 cents for yah.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E