test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Account TRIBBLE

axel667axel667 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Alright a friend of mine in game, at handle is XXXXXXXX, had his account TRIBBLE majorly last night at around 3 am central time in the US. I have submitted a ticked asking for this account locked down and he has done the same, as well as calling PWE to attempt to get this resolved. But, since we all know that this could take months to receive a response, I figured I'd start this both as a warning to players and as a boot for PWE to get it together. If it was a true free-to-play account he wouldn't care and neither would I but this guy has dropped money on that account, that should mean something assuming customer care is still in existence here. Now this can be easily fixed, lock that account until the TRUE owner can confirm his identity and retake control. You guys have a team for this game, it'd take one guy roughly five minutes to do. First glitches, now messed up gameplay, getting kicked from maps, losing items, and NOW hacking... seriously Perfect World? Close the game down for a week and fix it for the love of tribble.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
Are you free?
Post edited by axel667 on

Comments

• Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Use no less than a 16 key alpha numeric pass word and change it every couple of months.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    axel667 wrote: »
    Alright a friend of mine in game, at handle is XXXXXXXX <snip>

Stay away from the free TRIBBLE sites,just some advice.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Agreed.

Make a strong password.

Mine is o47*82gs52@843h

no one will ever guess it. :)
    :eek:
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Use no less than a 16 key alpha numeric pass word and change it every couple of months.

That's a false sense of security and I wish people'd stop advocating it so enthusiastically. Sure, it can't hurt, but it's not like there's hackers actually trying every possible combination of account name and password, starting with 'a' and working toward 'zzzzzzzzzzzz'. Considering STO locks you out for a second or two after each incorrect input, that'd take ages. After one day, they'd be at 'bkwn'. (And that's still trying to log into account 'a')

It's either spyware on your computer, or a big pile of printouts reading "Property of Cryptic Studios" at the top.

How long or complicated your password is hardly ever matters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    That's a false sense of security and I wish people'd stop advocating it so enthusiastically. Sure, it can't hurt, but it's not like there's hackers actually trying every possible combination of account name and password, starting with 'a' and working toward 'zzzzzzzzzzzz'. Considering STO locks you out for a second or two after each incorrect input, that'd take ages. After one day, they'd be at 'bkwn'. (And that's still trying to log into account 'a')

It's either spyware on your computer, or a big pile of printouts reading "Property of Cryptic Studios" at the top.

How long or complicated your password is hardly ever matters.

So so right. This xkcd comic encapsulates why: http://xkcd.com/936/

Picking a mnemonic phrase from random words is better; harder to crack, easier to remember.

EDIT And the worst part is, as the comic says we've spent decades training people to think the most secure passwords are the kind that are difficult for you to remember, but turns out easy for computers to guess. There are some sites that will reject a password that doesn't contain a number or a capitalised letter or even both.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    vinru821 wrote: »

no one will ever guess it. :)
    o47*82gs52?843h?

Did i get it right

R.I.P
  • Options
    supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Make it Data's password. 1-7-3-4-6-7-3-2-1-4-7-6-C-3-2-*7-8-9-7-7-7-6-4-3-T-7-3-2-V-7-*3-1-1-7-8-8-8-7-3-2-4-7-6-7-8-*9-7-6-4-3-7-6-LOCK
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    And who said such passwords where hard to remember?
    I would expect the reader to practice common sense and be more original than 672df45xz....... and try something like OU812OMGG3TH31PNOW or somesuch.

R.I.P
  • Options
    axel667axel667 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Okay he got his account back, but all three of his toons have been cleaned out completely. Ships, boffs, everything is gone. Funny thing is it still shows him having the Aegis set but it's not equipped... very strange.
    Are you free?
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Since Cryptic/PWE is slowly moving into the mobile market, maybe we can get some kind authenticator function that sends a verification code to your phone via text message.

I already that very function to log into my Facebook account.
  • Options
    jojobejojobe Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    maybe they can put some money in it. I dont attach credit card info or anything like that to my account. what do they do when they hac your account... play your characer.
  • Options
    somriksomrik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jojobe wrote: »
    maybe they can put some money in it. I dont attach credit card info or anything like that to my account. what do they do when they hac your account... play your characer.

What do they do? Did you not read OP's follow up?

I guess yeah they "played" the account if by play you mean take everything and anything of value to be vendored or transferred off.
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There was a problem with stowiki. Some genious moron installed a flash based trojan which could steal your passwords. Hopefully, the history is not repeating itself again.

Investing in a good av + firewall is not such a bad idea. I am using ESET (courtesy of my company).
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    did he lost his computer or mail too ? because every new comp must be saved