test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Brings You Here?

stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
edited November 2012 in PvP Gameplay
Do you come to the official STO forums to discuss various issues regarding the state of PvP? Or are you one of those types of folks who really just enjoy picking on the Devs?

What brings you to these forums?

It's a simple question (and one that doesn't violate any forum rules) regarding the mind set of an admittedly small but, I feel, misrepresented player base. PvPers. Certainly there are things to be frustrated about but do you come here to discuss those things in an attempt to make it better or do you just enjoy bad mouthing people?

I think for the most part we genuinely care about how this game does. While some folks could certainly learn to be more tactful, I find it hard to believe that anyone actually wastes their time here for the sake of bashing the development team.

What about you?
Post edited by stevehale on

Comments

• Options
    brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited November 2012
    stevehale wrote: »
    Do you come to the official STO forums to discuss various issues regarding the state of PvP? Or are you one of those types of folks who really just enjoy picking on the Devs?

It's a simple question (and one that doesn't violate any forum rules) regarding the mind set of an admittedly small but, I feel, misrepresented player base. PvPers. Certainly there are things to be frustrated about but do you come here to discuss those things in an attempt to make it better or do you just enjoy bad mouthing people?

I think for the most part we genuinely care about how this game does. While some folks could certainly learn to be more tactful, I find it hard to believe that anyone actually wastes their time here for the sake of bashing the development team.

What about you?

Hopefully this attempt at a peace brokerage won't get deleted because of its title. Just sayin'.

Personally, I didn't see what was wrong with the first 2. Good luck.
    LOLSTO
  • Options
    therealsivartherealsivar Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2012

What about you?

I come to the forums to try and help out the game as a whole, and to help out newbies as they need it.

I also agree that the extreme majority of people on these forums truly care about the game, and the IP itself and want to see it improved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Support a KDF equivalent to the Vesta Here
  • Options
    linkdown1linkdown1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Did you not post this a few days ago ?
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    in before the lock? what the hell happened to the last thread
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The fun of competition brought me in pugging , competition that has been absent since the variuos aspects have been unbalanced for a while that bring doubts and ego on gameplay.
    The picking on anybody from me just happens when I lose my composure over something.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I like to watch all the elitest PvPers whine, moan, groan, complain, cry, fuss, wail, bawl, and otherwise throw temper tantrums every time there's any kind of change in the game. I also enjoy every single tear whenever they realize that no one cares about PvP - not the devs, not the publisher (PWE), not the casual players, and not even the hardcore players.

:cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm here to fly cool ships and blow up other people. Meh, I mostly like to heal people. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It's kind of funny. Just in the few responses here from PvPers and nonPvPers there are vastly different reasons. Seems hard to believe that folks are content to paint the entire community as dev bashing trolls that can never be pleased.
  • Options
    dant158#3249 dant158 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I come to these forums these days to see if there have been any decent changes that may indicate a change in philosophy from the studio, that might make the game worth playing again.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    eulifdavis wrote: »
    I like to watch all the elitest PvPers whine, moan, groan, complain, cry, fuss, wail, bawl, and otherwise throw temper tantrums every time there's any kind of change in the game. I also enjoy every single tear whenever they realize that no one cares about PvP - not the devs, not the publisher (PWE), not the casual players, and not even the hardcore players.

:cool:

Hahaha.... Excellent.

I personally am extremely addicted to the Dev Post and the New Posts links. I have a hunger to always know what's going on as I love this game because it is Star Trek and I have no problem gathering the requirements to fund projects. Everyone complaining is just doing it wrong...

For Ex:
    * Grinding STFs pre season 7 - You own fault for bashing your head against a wall that was never going to budge. Get over it.

* What Dilithium Shortage? - The DL exchange shows that more DL is available and I make more now than ever. And if you buy zen with DL... that's a bad decision in the first place because you can earn more Zen cleaning toilets for minimum wage for an hour than you can grinding DL for an hour.

Lately I have been a real jerk on the forums especially the past day or so as I have it up to here with the Season 7 cry babies (after they put some DL back for STFs). The game is better especially in the long run for keeping new players that reach end game... end of story. The reputation system will drive content creation and you get better rewards. You also earn more dilithium and the DL exchange rate lowering proves that.

Those still crying about it are the temper tantrum "waaaaa I want it now!" types and I have been way more vocal lately as they need to just move on. Getting tired of the "OMG my Intel craptastic video card" doesn't work anymore threads too.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Usually, I come here to get new information, maybe have a bit of fun replying to funny posts in funny ways, and clear up any misunderstandings I can.

But lately I've been facing the same issue as phantomeight... So much negativity, whining, crying, complaining, threatnening to leave the game, and the like over S7 changes that are NOT going to go away, and are (in most cases) for the best - and those that aren't don't really do any major harm.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I guess it takes all kinds to bash players and find joy in other people's unhappiness. And here I thought it was PvPers who had it out for everyone else. Turns out it isn't just one subset bringing the hate. The hate comes from everywhere.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Usually, I come here to get new information, maybe have a bit of fun replying to funny posts in funny ways, and clear up any misunderstandings I can.

But lately I've been facing the same issue as phantomeight... So much negativity, whining, crying, complaining, threatnening to leave the game, and the like over S7 changes that are NOT going to go away, and are (in most cases) for the best - and those that aren't don't really do any major harm.

Yeah I agree and it's starting to affect me as I have somehow become a nasty person as of late. Almost ashamed of myself.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeah I agree and it's starting to affect me as I have somehow become a nasty person as of late. Almost ashamed of myself.

Yeah... I stumbled upon a thread with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism about S7, and the first line of my post was "Wow. Just... wow." because I was completely baffled by the fact that somebody had ACTUALLY made a civil, constructive post outlining what's good or wrong with the recent changes.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    And here I thought it was PvPers who had it out for everyone else. Turns out it isn't just one subset bringing the hate. The hate comes from everywhere.
    Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Others provide the gasoline. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    That's just the kind of counter productive attitude that has been attributed specifically to the PvP community. It's not my place to judge. Can't beat honesty.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I secretly wish I was as :cool: as PvPers.

Fixed. /10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Poor PvEers, all of that excessive and pointless dilithium grinding has finally broken their sanity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Queues and Timers: i.e. waiting on something.
  • Options
    rjam0rjam0 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2012

What about you?

I come to the forums to readup about any changes or to see if people have any questions that I can hopefully help with. With the abundance of PvPers knowing what they're doing, it's difficult to give someone an answer because the little forums junkies like dontdrunk seem to always get in first ;)

I does make me annoyed to see people bashing the devs about the job they're doing, or making 'QQWAHWAH' threads. Recently I was REALLLLY annoyed when all those MWO threads were made, then the people were actually trying to justify why they were doing it...

I'm not gonna lie, I can be a bit of an a$$ on these forums when something I see rubs me the wrong way, and I'm gonna say what I wanna say to that person whether or not it's the general consensus on the issue.

This forum should be about discussing PvP, not gang attacking devs when something doesn't go your way :)
  • Options
    shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's kind of funny. Just in the few responses here from PvPers and nonPvPers there are vastly different reasons. Seems hard to believe that folks are content to paint the entire community as dev bashing trolls that can never be pleased.

This silly impression has stuck, in no small part thanks to (and I don't mean this personally at all Hale) metathreads endlessly discussing the "PvP community".

I'm also not sure why a bunch of PvEers are posting about S7 (?) in here, since there was absolutely nothing concerning PvP introduced in the patch unless you count a certain bug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What brings me here? I like to see what new is going down, chat with some of my fellow PvPers, help people with their builds and try to convince the devs that power escalation is ruining the game.
    I guess it takes all kinds to bash players and find joy in other people's unhappiness. And here I thought it was PvPers who had it out for everyone else. Turns out it isn't just one subset bringing the hate. The hate comes from everywhere.

A lot of genre fandom is full of emotionally immature people with a chip on their shoulder sadly, probably lackiing in the basics such as empathy and sympathy. Just look at the over the top nerdrage about ME3's ending. Yes it was rubbish (as a big ME fan I was really annoyed), but the sheer venom and batsh** insanity of rabid fans was way way out of proportion. No wonder the Doctors left Bioware.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i come to these forums because its where all the familar people are. i also enjoy seeing what "promises" are made to only be later broken.

nothing like a little disapointment to brighten the day is my motto.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    snoge00f wrote: »
    Fixed. /10char
    Someone's upset and bitter. Struck a little close to home, eh? ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Someone's upset and bitter. Struck a little close to home, eh? ;)

Lol it absolutely sounds like someone's bitter, I just doubt it's the guy you're quoting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    sirepicalsirepical Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

What about you?

I have no idea why I come to the forums. That's an honest answer. But, I for one, don't ever rage at the Devs. I think they do a fine job. Could be better, but I'm still enjoying the game.
    edited November 2012
    wait, there are other sto forums other than pvp?

well ****.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    wait, there are other sto forums other than pvp?

well ****.

There's more Forum PvP there too...
    ...even though here gets the bad rap.
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    First off, I'm medicated so this might not be intelligible.

I come here because I ride the coattails of the accomplished min/maxers. I could never have conceived of something like ACT on my own, so I come here to find people capable of writing a plug-in.

I fly what is fun for me, but I also want to be as efficient as possible when I'm playing. I enjoy theory crafting and when I can't play during the day I often toy with builds on paper.

I am not trying to bash Cryptic or the devs with this statement, ok? But information isn't available in-game, or tooltips are wrong if it is. So I come here.

That's why I want to see the greats like Hilbert and other guide authors get some kudos, so they stick around and keep helping the community.

This is the first game I've ever PvP'd in regularly and I still don't consider myself a PvP'er in general. I have given PvP in other games a chance since finding such satisfaction with STO's PvP matches. Not every match, of course, but a well fought PvP match beats an STF with all the opts for me in terms of fun and sense of accomplishment.

I don't think the clock can be turned back on things like lockbox ships or consoles, but I do speak out against things that prevent a sense of accomplishment. Like an ability with no counter or a broken mechanic.

Alright I'm going to the docs, I'll edit this later if I need to because my head is full of wool right now.
    upyournacelles2upyournacelles2 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    rjam0 wrote: »
    I come to the forums to readup about any changes or to see if people have any questions that I can hopefully help with. With the abundance of PvPers knowing what they're doing, it's difficult to give someone an answer because the little forums junkies like dontdrunk seem to always get in first ;)

I does make me annoyed to see people bashing the devs about the job they're doing, or making 'QQWAHWAH' threads. Recently I was REALLLLY annoyed when all those MWO threads were made, then the people were actually trying to justify why they were doing it...

I'm not gonna lie, I can be a bit of an a$$ on these forums when something I see rubs me the wrong way, and I'm gonna say what I wanna say to that person whether or not it's the general consensus on the issue.

This forum should be about discussing PvP, not gang attacking devs when something doesn't go your way :)

But have you played MWO man? It the best thing since sliced bread! Lets all talk about it!