test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone Else Getting Random Black Screen Lately?

1235»

Comments

• cherojcheroj Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Intel Drivers are all updated to latest version and blackouts are still occurring.
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have the problem quite often when I alt tab back to the game client from the desktop. I can see the STO cursor though, and hear interactive sounds.
  • kajofolfkajofolf Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is not an Intel Issue at all. I have a ATI HD7850 right now and a pretty good PC, but the crashes still happen.
    I even reinstalled the complete System again and that didn't help at all.

I call bullsh(i)t on a drivers issue. The crashes started after the last updates, so Cryptic has to fix them.
    How about you actually fix some errors instead of sitting on your asses and doing nothing at all...
  • cuse2015cuse2015 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I feel somewhat relieved knowing I'm not the only one with this problem. But at the same time, I'll just have to entertain myself with other things till this gets fixed.
  • chroncrossed2chroncrossed2 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Thought I'd throw in my two cents again. When I used the latest driver I got the crash to the desktop randomly. I am now using an older Intel driver that I switched to when this first started occurring (one older than the one released in October). The game now runs without any crashing to desktop. I do however see a shader error on the bottom of the game screen briefly sometimes when I load the game up. I do not see it again during the rest of the session.

I'll agree with Cryptic that the error is going to be a little bit on both sides (driver and game engine). Because I have seen a shader error on older driver, it's game engine code at fault. But because some video drivers appear to totally crash the game it's also the drivers/kernel. Some drivers seem to be more stable than others though. Based on what I have seen it does not appear to be restricted to Intel cards/drivers... I've seen ATI cards/drivers as well with the problem.

Anyway, until the issue has been resolved I am going to continue to use my older driver. Because downgrading to an old driver does not seem to "fix" the issue for all, I feel bad for those who don't have that option. Hope it can get resolved eventually and as soon as possible.
  • murse1001murse1001 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I am a new player... I know, I know, a bit late for a star trek nerd, but I have been busy for the past couple of years. I was having this exact problem, even on the lowest video resolution settings. I was about to uninstall the game assuming my Intel intregrated graphics with an i5, 2.27ghz processor, 4gb RAM with a 1.7gb video max was not up to the task of running STO. I ran into this thread and rolled back my Intel Graphics driver to the original from 2010. Now no problems at all and I bumbed my resolution up to 1920 X 1080 playing on a TV. I'm a Treky, not a Techy, but obviously at least part of the problem is with Intels latest driver. Thanks for the workaround!
  • loyalist21loyalist21 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I dont know why or how but the games working fine now which is quite odd!
  • captainamericaxcaptainamericax Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My problem is slightly different. I'll be playing and then the screen will turn black as if shutting down, then go back to normal.

It does it frequently and this has not happened to me before. I took about a half year break and now i'm back ready to play and this problem pops up. :(

Its very frustrating and makes the game unplayable since it also causes lag to occur. My buddy of mine saw me lagging which just so happened to occur when my screen would go black.

If anyone has had that problem, please help, it isnt my computer because I played STO smoothly last time I was on here, my Comp is only a year old and I can also play other games without issues such as this.

I cant get a screenshot because there is nothing to screenshot, it just goes black, lags, then goes back to normal and repeats at a very frequent rate. :mad:

I hope this update fixes it, i'm getting tired of this problem, but if anyone has a solution or idea, please share it.
    "The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    soiduts wrote: »
    Why can't we just have an option in the setting to turn off those shader changes that were added in season 7 so that brings us back to the graphics levels of season 6, but allows people with higher end video cards to have the increased graphics?

Quoting this so it can be ignored some more.

I mean what's fair is fair. If the best advice we can get from them is "roll back your drivers", "why don't you roll back your self-admitted broken shader settings" seems like a pretty fair response to me.

Listen, I'm not trying to troll up the forums saying that. I get that about 90% of these STO forums on the whole are people complaining about things that don't actually need fixing and it makes for incredibly awful reading, and I wouldn't want to post here if I was a Cryptic employee either. That's part of why I don't post more.

This is something that actually needs fixing. This is a serious hardware issue, and I shouldn't have to risk hard-resetting my CPU because I go near the Borg Invasion Zone (which I have to avoid like it's the plague, as one example of a trouble spot).

Even if it was a temporary "fix" on Cryptic's end by disabling the offending effects/settings and dealing with the fallout from there, it would be clunky as hell as far as fixes go, but it would still be a vast improvement.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • seratherserather Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well I have been reading all the posts and see that we all have the same problem. But does anyone out there have a solution? I updated drivers, re-installed this game but what ever I do, I still get this flashing black screen. This game was really fun but now it's unplayable.
  • captainamericaxcaptainamericax Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    serather wrote: »
    Well I have been reading all the posts and see that we all have the same problem. But does anyone out there have a solution? I updated drivers, re-installed this game but what ever I do, I still get this flashing black screen. This game was really fun but now it's unplayable.

Some people have said that lowering graphics to the lowest and either updating or downgrading your Video Card seems to help. I however have tried and have not gotten any result or fix.

Not even a temporary fix. Its very frustrating.
    "The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"
    edited January 2013
    Well I have been told that the Devs are working on the problem, however slowly, so i guess the best thing to is just wait and check the game everyday until they have a solution.
  • cherojcheroj Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The issue is between one of the new algorithms included in Season 7 and the latest drivers for Intel. Downgrading your Intel drivers to any previous version should fix the issue. BranFlakes mentioned that they are talking with Intel to see if they have a driver fix or if Cryptic is going to have to take the algorithm out of S7.
    edited January 2013
    I know how to upgrade the drivers, but how do you bump them back?
  • crazedpenguinscrazedpenguins Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Has a fix been found to this other than the drivers? The game is simply unplayable. I've been waiting for a little over a year to get a computer to play this game and I finally did. I even went and grabbed gold membership before even logging in. I logged in and it played fine through the character creation and for about 2-3 minutes on the beginner mission. Towards the end where you get your first officer though, the screen began to blink out to black. It'd stay black for a few seconds, go back to the game. I'd be able to play a few more seconds, then it'd go black again. I figured this might be a hardware issue, so I went to the graphics setting where you can optimize the game to your hardware. Everything maxed out higher than I even had it set. I shrugged my shoulders and set everything to the lowest settings manually. It changed nothing. If anything, the black screen seemed to come more frequently. After dealing with this for 10 minutes and making next to no progress, I gave up, shut down the game, and came to a google search. This was the only thread I found on the issue, so was just curious if anything had been found on this? I can't mess with the drivers because it is a brand new laptop and I refuse to edit those things. I may just end up uninstalling. :mad:
  • hithereyouhithereyou Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Has a fix been found to this other than the drivers?

Please see this thread and continue discussion here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=452341&page=6

Some customers have now reported this has fixed the issue. I'm not sure if this was released on LIVE or is just on Tribble.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.