test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Supersampling Anti-Aliasing bugged.

marctraiderzmarctraiderz Member Posts: 539 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Graphical and Sound Issues
No way to force Supersampling in this game without having artifacts:

http://www.zeta-aquilae.net/Test/supersamplingbug.jpg

Seems like some weird shadow from other objects on the screen, they move along as I move myself as well. I hope this can be fixed, because I got an awesome Nvidia GTX 670 and I can easily handle Supersampling 8x in this game.

Using Supersampling Transparency Antialiasing is an option but its still not as close as to full SSAA.

Can some dev please look at this? I've already tried both Direct3D9 and 11 (Beta) but no change.

Also normal Multi Sampling Anti Aliasing is kinda buggy around the models, perhaps its related to the same problem?

http://www.zeta-aquilae.net/Test/multisamplingbug.jpg
Effect on Direct3D9

http://www.zeta-aquilae.net/Test/multisamplingdx11.jpg
Escalating Effect on Direct3D11

Using latest Nvidia Driver, tried rolling back has no effect. Same happens on my laptop with Nvidia 330M GT.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just got my new build with a 680 4gb will check to see if I'm getting any artifacts the same once I'm patched up and back ingame, thou I have not noticed any on the last build with the 580 1.5gb.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • marctraiderzmarctraiderz Member Posts: 539 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    For the devs: Seems to be having something to do with lightning. As soon as i drop everthing to low, then enable Supersampling, and go down the list of graphics settings the distortion around objects happens as soon as i put my shadows on medium or high.
    edited September 2012
    Have completed my reinstall and patch up of sto, did some testing in space and ground, as yet I have not run into any artifacts. Have the game maxed out with FXAA etc on in the control pannel, does not mean I won't run into any later on but for now on my end all is stable and working as it should. I will report any issues I come across as they develop on AA.
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
    edited September 2012
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »
    Have completed my reinstall and patch up of sto, did some testing in space and ground, as yet I have not run into any artifacts. Have the game maxed out with FXAA etc on in the control pannel, does not mean I won't run into any later on but for now on my end all is stable and working as it should. I will report any issues I come across as they develop on AA.

No disrespect but i'm not talking about FXAA am I? That technique is totally different and uses post processing rather then what MSAA/SSAA does. In fact, using FXAA will most likely cover the artifacts that I'm seeing, but i dont want to use FXAA because it not only blurs the whole screen (Even if u might not even notice it) it also blurs the UI parts because the game doesnt officially support it. I want my Supersampling to work, if you dont know what it is you might want to google about it. Its a very old but probably best and most pretty AA technique. Just not for everyone because of the GPU processing needs.

I'm mainly directing my post to a dev directly, although I was pretty sure this was a total waste, I did it anyway. If ever a dev responds to a bug report will probably now, because if not I dont see myself reporting any more bugs in the future which could eventually help them as well in that case.

Oh well.
    edited September 2012
    Hence why I'm running comparisons and checks with all available AA options on my system so I don't miss anything.
  • cyrilmakcyrilmak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There has always been AA issues since the game was in beta. I've been having boat loads of trouble with my GTX 675M. Don't expect the devs to say or help any. They are good at doing nothing.
    Cyrilmak - Vice Admiral 50 - Starfleet Tactical Officer - Fleet Senior Member of: Council of Athena
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »
    Hence why I'm running comparisons and checks with all available AA options on my system so I don't miss anything.

Just for the info then

With DX9 u can simply force MSAA8x + Supersampling transparency at 8x with Enhance.

With DX10 u can force MSAA8x + Supersampling 8x with Override.
    And use DX10 Compatibility hex code 0x004012C1

By the way, this game is very stubborn with using anything higher then AA 4x as well, the only way to force anything above 4x is to force it through Nvidia Inspector, which is a sloppy thing upon itself because why is MSAA 8x listed at all then? Its just totally bugged.

In any case if you manage to replicate this, I'm sure you can see the same bug as I'm seeing if you walk around Academy for instance outside. Shadows are the thing that make it look buggy around stuff.

This game just needs to get its MSAA fixed properly without artifacts. They may look small, and most people might not even notice it or think its normal shining light at the sides of objects, But i know better. There are also parts (not even specifically pointing at transparent textures) but normal vectors are simply not anti aliased at all but do not show the weird glow effect at the sides.
    edited October 2012
    Small update, it also happens without ANY anti aliasing, still those sharp bright 1 wide white pixels around objects, and some parts dont apply anti aliasing at all.

Has to do with Lightning/shadows. As soon as I turn them down the whole world is perfectly anti aliased.

Can this be looked into devs?
  • blairbrianblairbrian Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And now it is 2 years later and still when using 8xMSAA or 4xMSAA you get the weird block square looking artifacts, I have it maxed out with a R9 270 and I can use 2xMSAA, But when I select 4xMSAA or 8xMSAA the shadows are just a horrible wreck. I know it sounds absurd to some people that I am complaining about max settings with only 2xMSAA, But the setting is there to be used and I have the FPS to spare so I should be able to use it.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    blairbrian wrote: »
    And now it is 2 years later and still when using 8xMSAA or 4xMSAA you get the weird block square looking artifacts, I have it maxed out with a R9 270 and I can use 2xMSAA, But when I select 4xMSAA or 8xMSAA the shadows are just a horrible wreck. I know it sounds absurd to some people that I am complaining about max settings with only 2xMSAA, But the setting is there to be used and I have the FPS to spare so I should be able to use it.

Must eat brains....

A zombie has just arisen! Someone call an exterminator!
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Must eat brains....

A zombie has just arisen! Someone call an exterminator!

I'll never quite understand why necro'ing a thread is so frowned upon when it contains numerous suggestions, comments, and information provided by other players.

I supposed he is supposed to repost all of it?

Regardless, thank you lucho80 for your highly informative comment.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'll never quite understand why necro'ing a thread is so frowned upon when it contains numerous suggestions, comments, and information provided by other players.

I supposed he is supposed to repost all of it?

Regardless, thank you lucho80 for your highly informative comment.

It is the rule of the forum that any thread that has been dead for more than 30 days stay dead. If you have a contribution to make to the discussion, start a new thread.
    I think the idea is that it should stop people from going to page 1 of the old thread and start listening to old and information that is possibly wrong or just completely obsolete.

So, Die zombie thread DIE!
    I need a beer.

• crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    blairbrian wrote: »

This is a bug that was specific to a range of AMD drivers from a very long time ago. You might want to update your drivers.
  • tordesignstordesigns Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    This is a bug that was specific to a range of AMD drivers from a very long time ago. You might want to update your drivers.

there also seems to be a bug where applying sgssaa for transparent textures it actually applies a fullscreen supersampling instead of on alpha textures not that the msaa is done very well its barley noticeable any reason ? this also gets applied on txaa which makes the blur already on that twice as bad txaa without it looks so bad imo its a shame to label it txaa when it doesnt do what its intended