test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WOW - PvP Shocking

Comments

• dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Not to pee on your parade here my friend but you are aware that there is now a torp launcher that allows you to sustain broadsides, and throw down burst right? It has a 180 degree firing arc. (Yes someone seriously thought THAT was a good idea. Just wait till I put my tacxcelsior together again)

its a great idea, its the 1 thing that can make you think twice about torpedoes of all things being on a fed tactical cruiser. unfortunately this was not done to all torpedoes, and this torp being the only one of its kind makes it even more unlikely that we will ever see all torps changed to a 180 deg firing arc.

still hope they will one day, and they should change the damage they do to shields from 1/4 to 3/4. then torps will be equal to energy weapons.
  • ghostyandfrostyghostyandfrosty Member Posts: 864
    edited September 2012
    hurleybird wrote: »
    Yeah, I know of it. I have one myself actually, and that would be fine if you could equip eight of them. Since you cannot you're still better off min/maxing into beams.

Besides that though, do you think the average face-roller (such as the OP) is remotely capable of timing quantum torpedoes in PvP, from a cruiser no less? The only time those torps are going to see hull is through divine intervention and/or proper alignment of the stars. Switching to all beams is by far the best course of action our friend could take, assuming of course he even knows how to run full weapons power.

You only need 2 of them and a pair of Torp Doffs. Constant broad side torp spam :D
    No, I don't. I really really don't think they are capable but at least the firing arc concern has been alleviated.

You'd have to run my Tac Vorcha spec though, because nothing else gives you a prayer skill point allocation wise to make them sing properly, without completely hosing your ship over in other areas.
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited September 2012
    its a great idea, its the 1 thing that can make you think twice about torpedoes of all things being on a fed tactical cruiser. unfortunately this was not done to all torpedoes, and this torp being the only one of its kind makes it even more unlikely that we will ever see all torps changed to a 180 deg firing arc.

still hope they will one day, and they should change the damage they do to shields from 1/4 to 3/4. then torps will be equal to energy weapons.

That would be a bit much :eek:
  • hurleybirdhurleybird Member Posts: 909
    edited September 2012
    You only need 2 of them and a pair of Torp Doffs. Constant broad side torp spam :D
    No, I don't. I really really don't think they are capable but at least the firing arc concern has been alleviated.

Unfortunately you can only equip one of them, and you have better things to spend doff slots on with a cruiser. If you want torp spam though, you can also have a torp-sciship on the team.
    You'd have to run my Tac Vorcha spec though, because nothing else gives you a prayer skill point allocation wise to make them sing properly, without completely hosing your ship over in other areas.

Tactical Vorcha would be the only cruiser combo I might consider putting a torp in, but those 180 degree ones are Fed only IIRC.
    edited September 2012
    Unfortunately you can only equip one of them, and you have better things to spend doff slots on with a cruiser. If you want torp spam though, you can also have a torp-sciship on the team.

Tactical Vorcha would be the only cruiser combo I might consider putting a torp in, but those 180 degree ones are Fed only IIRC.

mmm I think I could make do with just one on the tacxcelsior. I'll whip one up after I get the AC refit next week. (this week I have a Fleet Nova to get)

It's total Sex to have HY2 on my Vorcha. CrtDX2 Dmg torp go go go.

Skill point allocation wise is what I meant though. Otherwise, like I said you really don't have a prayer of makin it work properly.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    That would be a bit much :eek:

oh i can think of a way to push beyond that. you know how arrmor defends against at least 2 different things right? well tac consoles only buff 1 thing or the other, you have to choose between energy and kinetic to buff. how bout this?

purp mk xii

specific energy-
    +30% to phasers/etc...
    +15% to all kinetic

specific torpedo
    +30% to photon/etc...
    +15% to all energy

general beam-
    +20% to all beams
    +17.5% to all kinetic

general cannon-
    +20% to all cannons
    +17.5% to all kinetic

general torp-
    +20% to all torps
    +17.5% to all energy

general mine-
    +20% to all mines
    +17.5% to all energy

well how about at least 2 out of 3? the fireing arc, the 3/4 effectiveness against shields, and the console change.

this would make even me run torpedoes, it would be a viable and smart thing to do on any ship, it would be more canon.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What's with all the hate of Torps on a Cruiser.. I like my Double Plasma Torp Wielding Excelsior! (Am I the only one that always hears Stan "the man" Lee's voice when I read that word? :P)
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,238 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    But if you have a 180" arc rapid fire missile weapon you can have two torps fitted for a nice 180" braodside.
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    How come every thread in this form quickly turns into watch my latest tac cruiser build??? remember wen we used to lol at these abominations
  • dassemstodassemsto Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    snoge00f wrote: »
    It's all there, you just gotta look around. There's no excuse to avoid PvP for lack of a good build.
    What, ME change my build? Never! It's up to Cryptic to realize the potential of my awsome build!
    Maybe you guys need to do some research yourselves... instead of just telling ppl to learn to play the game
    Rule #1 when crying hax: Get evidence!

Anything with sustance, vids, pics, logs, anything! Without evidence, your word alone don't carry more weight than the words of a forum troll.
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Why are dual beams that bad? Last time I looked at the math fire at will with dual beams can out DPS cannons.
    DBBs have substantially lower DPS than Cannons at lower ranges.
    FAW doesn't really increase the DPS against a single target much.
    DHCs give better burst damage.
    DHCs can use CRF to increase DPS a LOT.

I only support DBBs on ships that are turnrate-impaired. Anything turning like a Gurumba or slower is ok for DBBs in my book.
    husanakx wrote: »
    You can't have 165 power... no matter what you can never have more then 135... 10 power is all you can over cap... and you can overcap the same 10 power if you run cannons to :)
    Wait, wasn't that bug reintroduced?

1. Drain level could not be buffed abowe 125
    2. Drain level suddenly could be buffed as high as you like
    3. Drain level was capped at 135
    4. Drain level reverted to state #2 when s6 launched

did they add a #5 and re-fix it?
  • teleon22teleon22 Member Posts: 424
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I know of it. I have one myself actually, and that would be fine if you could equip eight of them. Since you cannot you're still better off min/maxing into beams.

Besides that though, do you think the average face-roller (such as the OP) is remotely capable of timing quantum torpedoes in PvP, from a cruiser no less? The only time those torps are going to see hull is through divine intervention and/or proper alignment of the stars. Switching to all beams is by far the best course of action our friend could take, assuming of course he even knows how to run full weapons power.

Not a single one of my two cruisers uses an all beam build lol... however, both of my cruisers are very specialized so meh.

Besides, you are telling him to use an all beam build without first discussing how to manage power... I just LOL at that because assuming he tries all beams, when his power falls below 50 he still wont' grasp why it can work. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2012
    havam wrote: »
    How come every thread in this form quickly turns into watch my latest tac cruiser build??? remember wen we used to lol at these abominations

TacXcelsiors were never a joke when built to the 9s properly.

The only (now pair I guess since the AC Refit) cruiser fedside that works is the TacXelsior.
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    TacXcelsiors were never a joke when built to the 9s properly.

The only (now pair I guess since the AC Refit) cruiser fedside that works is the TacXelsior.

would you ever have brought them on a premade? Its like fugly cats, they need some love to :)
    edited September 2012
    havam wrote: »
    would you ever have brought them on a premade? Its like fugly cats, they need some love to :)

Actually we did back when they first released and had some great success. We took it as our obligatory second tac toon. (we were a 2 tac, 2 sci 1 eng Team) That's where my Deathblossom/melter build came from were those days. Did well even against other premades. The only reason it didn't stick was our Tacxcelsior pilot quit playing sto.
  • redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    webdeath wrote: »
    What's with all the hate of Torps on a Cruiser.. I like my Double Plasma Torp Wielding Excelsior! (Am I the only one that always hears Stan "the man" Lee's voice when I read that word? :P)

Every time I read it man, every single time. My son is watching Super Hero Squad these days and Stan is the voice of the mayor. Makes me smile, especially because they let him be himself with the jokes.
    edited September 2012
    That's why I trust the Dev Team is taking notes. Until the game is at the level where average players can do good with even the worst of builds, STO's PvPers are just going to be a handful.

At which point PvP would have become utterly pointless. For it to make *any* sense, skilled pilots should always have the advantage. I have someone like that in my fleet: he beats everyone, even in what you would think are crappy ships and setups. Why? Because unlike the vast majority in this game (yours truly included) he *really* knows what he's doing, whereas a person like me only kinda knows... a little. When I fly a sci ship, for instance, I do so because they tank nicely; and I learned a handful of useful sci skills to use. When he flies one, however, he turns it into a tactical machine, regardless, exploiting every sci ability to the max, in perfect synergy with his weapons and boffs.

My long-winded point: people like that should always win. It's the natural order of things. If you artificially upset that order -- by effectively making it impossible for anyone to be better at it than others, like you suggest -- then not only PvP becomes pointless, but learning skills altogether would be a moot endeavor.

tldr; let's dont, and say we did; in fact, let's not even say we did.

P.S. I don't PvP: I know what's good for me. :) Doesn't mean I wanna ruin it for others, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited September 2012
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    At which point PvP would have become utterly pointless. For it to make *any* sense, skilled pilots should always have the advantage. I have someone like that in my fleet: he beats everyone, even in what you would think are crappy ships and setups. Why? Because unlike the vast majority in this game (yours truly included) he *really* knows what he's doing, whereas a person like me only kinda knows... a little. When I fly a sci ship, for instance, I do so because they tank nicely; and I learned a handful of useful sci skills to use. When he flies one, however, he turns it into a tactical machine, regardless, exploiting every sci ability to the max, in perfect synergy with his weapons and boffs.

My long-winded point: people like that should always win. It's the natural order of things. If you artificially upset that order -- by effectively making it impossible for anyone to be better at it than others, like you suggest -- then not only PvP becomes pointless, but learning skills altogether would be a moot endeavor.

tldr; let's dont, and say we did; in fact, let's not even say we did.

P.S. I don't PvP: I know what's good for me. :) Doesn't mean I wanna ruin it for others, though.

Thank you.

Also azzy, kid. Grow up. Honestly chump, what do you think happens when a complete newbie squares off against a Pro in Halo on a DMR only match? They both have the same guns, same stats, same speed. yet the rookie will get creamed each and every time. There is literally nothing you can do in a game to take Skill out of it, other than have the game play itself out for you, right down to the specs.....and in that case you're just watching a movie, because there is 0 interaction on the player's part.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    But if you have a 180" arc rapid fire missile weapon you can have two torps fitted for a nice 180" braodside.

My plasma Torp Spread 3 has never had that much trouble getting into arc and spitting out a green vomit of doom. :cool:
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarkonissarkonis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There are a few possibilities here.

First if he is stacking XII purple neutronium, aux to SIF and other heals. There is a good chance he is mitigating about 90% of incoming damage. And healing.

I could probably answer how he is doing it but I need to know 5 things.

1) What kind of ship was it?
    2) What weapons do you use?
    3) What Class are you?
    4) How long was his buff/debuff line? (Estimate)
    5) How many people were shooting at him?

You gotta remember the gap between PvP and PvE in STO is massive. The top end PvP'ers are doing the PvP cause elite PvE is not challenging.
    You are fighting people that say "Sigh brb another Tac cube>."
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited October 2012
    Just wait until your blowed away I'n 5 seconds
    Lots of other goodies I'n store for you as well

Your iceberg isn't even scratched

Happy motoring. :)
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited October 2012
    I was hacking just the other day. I initiated the one shot kill thing. Granted, that one shot took between 5-8 seconds of continues fire to take out a stationary target. Twice.

Of all the things wrong with this game, it seems excessive to have to go out of our way to invent problems so that we feel can better about ourselves.

So what the hell. I accidentally queued up in Galaxy Class USS Isignoringyoutoo yesterday (wasn't paying attention, thought I was still on my tac :o). Ended up in a really tough match that was dragging on. I was feeling pretty good about my team healing but eventually the other guys started looking me up and down pretty good. Next thing I know, the server stops responding and a few seconds later I was booted. I signed back in but the first time it failed. I signed in again and made it back to the match but the game said it was going to remove me in 10 seconds. Sure enough, I was kicked out of the match.

Now if that isn't hax I don't know what is. Clearly someone broke into the server because I was such an awesome threat.

So there, now I have an excuse that makes me feel better about myself:D.
  • cmdrparthoscmdrparthos Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    stevehale wrote: »
    Now if that isn't hax I don't know what is. Clearly someone broke into the server because I was such an awesome threat.

Well done Hale! Have a /cookiee

:)
    The Parthos And Bunny Show
    Imperial House Of Pancakes
  • falloutx23falloutx23 Member Posts: 456
    edited October 2012
    stevehale wrote: »
    I was hacking just the other day. I initiated the one shot kill thing. Granted, that one shot took between 5-8 seconds of continues fire to take out a stationary target. Twice.

Of all the things wrong with this game, it seems excessive to have to go out of our way to invent problems so that we feel can better about ourselves.

So what the hell. I accidentally queued up in Galaxy Class USS Isignoringyoutoo yesterday (wasn't paying attention, thought I was still on my tac :o). Ended up in a really tough match that was dragging on. I was feeling pretty good about my team healing but eventually the other guys started looking me up and down pretty good. Next thing I know, the server stops responding and a few seconds later I was booted. I signed back in but the first time it failed. I signed in again and made it back to the match but the game said it was going to remove me in 10 seconds. Sure enough, I was kicked out of the match.

You think that's funny, but when we were joking about that earlier today, someone /haxcoded in OPVP and *poof* I was gone
  • solarstreaksolarstreak Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Whenever i see someone talk about someone else hacking i can't help but smile really. If they paid more attention they would realize that even those pesky "hackers" get beat. Usually by someone else who has also been called one on more then one occasion. Coincidence?

If it was truly a hack i'm pretty sure they wouldn't get beat. Well, unless the other player has superior hacking skills. :)
    Selun'x Alien Sci - Zarza Reman Tac
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've been accused of "cheating" in this game a few too many times(and I'm not even good compared to a lot of folks) to give credence to anyones claims but a veteran PvPer.

This game has one of the highest discrepancies in performance from average players to good players that I have ever seen in an MMO. Most folks just really don't have a clue about how to make their ships competitive.
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    :mad:

I only get accused of cheating in other games.

I feel so left out. I know, I'll start running more exotic BoP builds to get those complaints running.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    snoge00f wrote: »
    :mad:

I only get accused of cheating in other games.

I feel so left out. I know, I'll start running more exotic BoP builds to get those complaints running.

I love it when butthurt feddies whine about hacking after I decloak+alphastrike them with full buffs (Tactical Team, Patterns Alpha and Omega, FOMM, Go Down FIghting, and Tactical Fleet) and leave them a smoldering wreck of a ship :P
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • dank65dank65 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Been a while since I was called a haxzor, Must be doing something wrong.

Oh well guess Ill just have to try harder...........:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banshee
    Bloodthristy
    Guild - <Lords of The Dead>
    LvL 60 CW-Dragon Server
  • marctraiderzmarctraiderz Member Posts: 539 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    OP you are invited to the Sad Panda Cubs channel, there you can learn how to make a successful dedicated damage per second ship with emergency power to weapons 3.
  • treffelltreffell Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    use chroniton

and plasma